• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT| Once again! The Sound of HAMMERS is GLORIOUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

How are you guys leveling up your crusader without power leveling? It feels like it's taking forever. I'm running on expert and its really slow. I'll bump it up a notch once I start getting gear. I miss the XP buff :(

Probably a combo of Hellfire, increased difficulty, and socketed helms to compensate for the lack of a bonus.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Apparently monk Unity passive works on all allies including WD pets. Time to powerlevel my WD so I can pump out 20 fetishes and get monk bros over 1 mil sheet dps lol

LOL they didn't fix that? I can't believe it. I had written that one off so hard I totally forgot about it.

It also works on mystic ally and the followers (including the ones summoned from the Asheara's level 70 set).

Firemind

How are you guys leveling up your crusader without power leveling? It feels like it's taking forever. I'm running on expert and its really slow. I'll bump it up a notch once I start getting gear. I miss the XP buff :(

Imperial ruby in helm and weapon

Hellfire ring

Cain's three item set bonus

BAM

Apparently monk Unity passive works on all allies including WD pets. Time to powerlevel my WD so I can pump out 20 fetishes and get monk bros over 1 mil sheet dps lol

I'm anxious to finish my solo run this evening so I can start adventure mode and test that out in group play.

LOL they didn't fix that? I can't believe it. I had written that one off so hard I totally forgot about it.

It also works on mystic ally and the followers (including the ones summoned from the Asheara's level 70 set).

Does it work with clones?

eek5

I'm guessing that anything that flashes when you pick up health orbs counts as an ally.

Played this morning before I went to work, but I'm lagging a bunch. I think it's that I'm downloading patches and updates for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Bioshock Infinite.

jersoc

finished the new act last night. i really enjoyed it. I think the boss fights were pretty fun too. The environments and sound in act 5 were superb.

having the mystic is great too. now every piece you get has potential because you can just swap in and out stats that you want.

Stripes55

Neo Member
Did anyone else get a message saying that they didn't have access to the content if trying to start Act V on Torment 1? I dropped down to Master and it worked fine. Did I need to go directly from beating Diablo on T1 into Act V? I was going to do that but RoS went live a few minutes early.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I love when people act like these are just things people have.

People had plenty of time to get the Cains Set on the AH, and the high level rubies drop pretty often. The only difficult item to get is the Hellfire.

Shifty76

I love when people act like these are just things people have.

Cain's set pieces were purchasable on the AH for under 100k for the entire set, so all of 20 mins worth of playing pre-2.0.

Hellfire rings could be obtained pretty much for free via grouping up with fellow gaffers. Only real cost was the plan, and I know I sprung for the cost of that for people who asked.

Marquise rubies can drop off enemies in RoS.

So really, none of those things were that unobtainable. Obviously, acquiring Cain's set and the hellfire ring NOW if you didn't have one previously is pretty cumbersome, but they were absolutely not difficult to get if you really wanted them.

Cain's set pieces were purchasable on the AH for under 100k for the entire set, so all of 20 mins worth of playing pre-2.0.

Hellfire rings could be obtained pretty much for free via grouping up with fellow gaffers. Only real cost was the plan, and I know I sprung for the cost of that for people who asked.

So really, none of those things were that unobtainable. Obviously, acquiring Cain's set and the hellfire ring NOW if you didn't have one previously is pretty cumbersome, but they were absolutely not difficult to get if you really wanted them.

Unfortunately, I haven't played the game since a couple months after launch. Just recently got back into it for the expansion. I was not aware of the items above so I'm pretty much leveling from scratch.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
People had plenty of time to get the Cains Set on the AH, and the high level rubies drop pretty often. The only difficult item to get is the Hellfire.

Some folks only just started playing again recently

Anyway, this guy is upset:

If paying for a small DLC (which adds a single character, 2 hours of gameplay and randomized dungeons - unrelated to the story), the same amount the money you would for a complete full-priced game makes sense to you, kindly stop here. This review is not for you. In any other case, please read on.

TOO LITTLE. TOO LAME. TOO EXPENSIVE.
Charging 66% of the original game's price for only 20% of extra content is disgustingly greedy. This is not an expansion in any sense of the word. It is an overpriced DLC - and a small one at that.
We need to pay as much as a premium game to get randomized dungeons in a game that was way too short to begin with?
And, you are not fooling anyone, the Crusader is basically the Paladin that should had been included in the game in the first place. Does this mean we can expect the next $40 expansion to include an Assassin and then yet another $40 will give us the Druid? With these people at the helm of BLIZZARD there seems to be no low they will not stoop to.

TAKING AWAY THE AUCTION HOUSE WAS A LICKISH MOVE
Let me make this as clear as possible: the problem was NOT the Auction House. That was a brilliant idea. In fact, I have had more fun in the Auction House than in the game itself.
The problem was that the game was designed in such a way as to ensure that it was unbeatable unless you payed real money to buy virtual gold from BLIZZARD's Gold sellers (remember all those PVPbank "friends request? guess what!). After Hell level (and especially true for Inferno) it was impossible to survive long enough without full sets of powerful Legendary items. BLIZZARD made sure to keep the drop rates of Legendaries into the infinitesimal (a single drop after a complete playthrough. If you were lucky). Even at those small drop rates, it was still very unlikely to get a Legendary with useful attributes and stats! What is the use of a +300 Intelligence Manticore when high level wizards are useless with crossbows? Hence the need for you to keep visiting the Auction House - where the prices were always kept super-inflated. Hence the need for you to pay real money to buy millions of virtual gold.
So, if they were able to milk their own customers for more money, why did they yank it out? Because it got too expensive for them to operate and the class-action suits were amassing like a storm. Because of the wide-spread popularity of D1 and D2, D3 sold millions. Unfortunately for BLIZZARD, the disappointed gamers who abandoned the game were also measured in millions. So, the Auction House was costing too much to keep open. Especially when the number of people who lost great amounts of real money to Auction House "glitches" approached critical and the lawsuits kept coming one after another.
They did not do us any favors. And they certainly did not decide that the Auction House was "hurting the enjoyment of the game". They just decided to take away a major feature the original game was sold with, just to make some more money for themselves.
You think they "listened to their customers"? Please read on.

WHY IS THIS GAME STILL ONLINE ONLY?
After 2 years the verdict is out and it is definite: BLIZZARD cannot run enough stable servers to properly support a popular always-online game. Or they are not willing to unless they charge you a monthly fee like they do with WoW. In any case, their servers are fickle as ever, prone to loose connection at any time, in need of weekly day-long maintenance and always ready to kick you out if you leave the game to take a break longer than 5 minutes.
Have you ever lost a legendary because the servers hiccuped just after it dropped, not allowing you to pickup or open anything? Have you ever had to start over an area, missing on the random spawning of a rare event, just because the servers lost it once again? Yes, I am sure you know what I am talking about.
So, now that the Auction House is no more, what is the excuse for not making private/Single-player games free of any need of an online connection? None!
The game takes up 12GB of our HDD. Are they going to lie to us all (like EA did with The SimCity) that it cannot run offline for private/Single-player games?

THE FORCED PATCH (Loot2.0) WAS A DISASTER AND AN INSULT
Without warning,a about two months ago, BLIZZARD forced the Loot2.0 patch on all of us. This is what this much praised by the usual company shills patch did: it made sure that every single hour you had spend on the game up to then was wasted!
Did you grind for hours to get Legendary items (or, even worse, did you pay real money to buy gold and then buy them from the Auction House)? Well, you wasted your time (and money). Those Legendary items were now insultingly weak, much weaker than Rare (yellow) items.
Did you make endless runs of the same areas again and again to bring all of your heroes up to Paragon 100? Again, you wasted your time. Now Paragon levels are shared between all of your characters.
Any time you sunk into the game prior to the Loot2.0 Patch was now wasted. So why would anyone trust BLIZZARD ever again and play any more D3? Next time they want to release yet another DLC as an expansion, they will not hesitate, once more, to render all of your time spend in the game totally wasted.

Replay Diablo II or Titan Quest. They are real games.
Play Torchlight 2. It is a complete game.
Play Path of Exile. It is free on STEAM.
Or wait for Grim Dawn.

In any case, I am sure you were not born yesterday.

Seth C

The rubies are easy to get now. I've yet to see a single key drop so the Hellfire ring might as well be impossible for me.

Sounds like you should have bought Cain's set plan when you had the chance!

I don't need it, personally. My only character is already level 66 and can barely survive on Expert. The last thing I need is to level faster.

oneils

Yea it's atrocious. I tried listening to the new conversations but it took maybe 2 minutes for me to start hammering the space bar through them. Chris Metzen really is the worst of all time.

Lol! I did the exact same thing during the small amount I played last night.

Morokh

Well he is not totally wrong on his first point, this expansion feels a little bit lightweight in terms of new content, for the rest i'll actually reserve judgment when the thing finally arrives in the mail.

th3dude

Did anyone else get a message saying that they didn't have access to the content if trying to start Act V on Torment 1? I dropped down to Master and it worked fine. Did I need to go directly from beating Diablo on T1 into Act V? I was going to do that but RoS went live a few minutes early.

That's something that seems to pop up from time to time. I clicked start and got that, said OK and clicked Start again and it let me in on T1.

So I just finished up with Blizzard support, I was trying for a refund on the digital edition since I just got the CE. They said since I already added the CE to my account, a refund wasn't possible, instead he offered a copy of RoS to an account with D3 already active, which I do not have. Oh well. Not gonna complain.

razielim

The rubies are easy to get now. I've yet to see a single key drop so the Hellfire ring might as well be impossible for me.

I don't need it, personally. My only character is already level 66 and can barely survive on Expert. The last thing I need is to level faster.

There are new rings at level 70 that everyone will be farming again. Once people are farming these I'm sure it'll be as simple as asking on this forum for a group to get in and farm ring components. People w/o Cains are SoL but we're talking about an xp boost, not some game breaking mechanic that results in the game not being able to be finished. Once one character reaches 70 it'll be easy for the rest to get there, especially with the ability to enchant items to work across multiple classes dependent on what primary stats you want at the time.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well he is not totally wrong on his first point, this expansion feels a little bit lightweight in terms of new content, for the rest i'll actually reserve judgment when the thing finally arrives in the mail.

my honest thought is that they rolled the 2.0 budget into the expansion budget/ROI. Good move? Bad move? Who knows? My guess is the thought/reasoning behind it was/is that most players of RoS will in fact be lapsed players. So while many in this thread (most? the guy quoted?) are like "I already have 2.0. So basically this is Act V, the crusader class and adventure mode which is half a feature", Blizz is counting on the average player to be like "new loot system, new paragon system, new difficulty system, and all of the stuff listed above!!! for only $40!?!?"

I mean it is what it is. You are going to fall into one of three camps. That 2.0 was great on its own and RoS is a very small bit of content, that RoS+2.0 is totally awesome, or probably "meh I'm having fun so who really cares?"

partyboy

Upset and trolling or stupid or both. At no point did you ever have to pay real money to survive and have at least decent dps on inferno in 1.0. A few weeks of casual playing could get you enough gold to buy enough gear to play comfortably. Wahh wahh wahh.

Seth C

There are new rings at level 70 that everyone will be farming again. Once people are farming these I'm sure it'll be as simple as asking on this forum for a group to get in and farm ring components. People w/o Cains are SoL but we're talking about an xp boost, not some game breaking mechanic that results in the game not being able to be finished. Once one character reaches 70 it'll be easy for the rest to get there, especially with the ability to enchant items to work across multiple classes dependent on what primary stats you want at the time.

Again, none of this is the point of what I said. I don't give two shits about any of those items. Don't need them, don't want them. But recommending people who are just starting have them as a way to level up is asinine.

Upset and trolling or stupid or both. At no point did you ever have to pay real money to survive and have at least decent dps on inferno in 1.0. A few weeks of casual playing could get you enough gold to buy enough gear to play comfortably. Wahh wahh wahh.

Absolutely false. Keep in mind please that your experience with this game isn't the same as EVERYONE's experience with this game. I was completely unable to survive Inferno after almost 200 hours of playing the game. After that much time my dps was around 17k. For example, I never found a legendary or set piece until loot 2.0.

KaYotiX

Banned
RoS looks good on my geek shelf :) The ONLY place I can have video game related stuff in our house my wife says.

autocompress1395771731427_zps09ce4c31.jpg

Kiru

So I just finished up with Blizzard support, I was trying for a refund on the digital edition since I just got the CE. They said since I already added the CE to my account, a refund wasn't possible, instead he offered a copy of RoS to an account with D3 already active, which I do not have. Oh well. Not gonna complain.
I got an account with only D3 active... :p

jtkauff

I'll be interesting to see FedEx gets my copy of the CE to me today - had release date (Prime) shipping from Amazon and it only left from the warehouse in Arizona 13 hours ago on its way to Ohio. It's in Tennessee as of 30 minutes ago.

At least this makes the workday easier knowing that I'm not missing out on playing the expansion

Raffle :O?

woot!

picked up the physical version and entered my key
then threw the DVD in the garbage
I am ready to go tonight!

does that Hearthstone card pack insert only work with new accounts? lol

also got another Blizzard notepad.

PC freebies FTW.

Reknoc

well started Act V on my lvl 58 wizard, didn't want to do a run not skipping story stuff with my lvl 60 DH, blegh.

also would appreciate a EU clan invite if anyone is on: Reknoc#2520

Finally hit 70 on the crusader, no power leveling or shortcuts, just straight killing monsters. Adventure mode and the crusader are so much fun, now to sleep!

crusader70_by_silentpixel-d7bloc4.png

Tom Penny

I think 1% of people would be a high number for people that did inferno self found when the game first came out. Why should you need an AH to beat a game? You had to do no damage and stack ludicrous life on hit and resists. DH was the only class that could somehow kite it's way through.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
woot!

picked up the physical version and entered my key
then threw the DVD in the garbage
I am ready to go tonight!

does that Hearthstone card pack insert only work with new accounts? lol

also got another Blizzard notepad.

PC freebies FTW.

no. hearthstone packs are just an "upgrade" on your account. you can enter the code in without having even ever logged into hearthstone. They'll then just be there when you do. Or you could sell the code. I'd give you like $3 for it if it's 3 packs. One pack... umm.. I'd give you like $1. :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
Offer still stands. Anyone want to rush me to 60 for 30m gold?!?! Surely someone wants easy money!

Are you NA or EU servers?

Don't need money to do it I'm bored and want to test out things. PM me if this is something you're doing this sooner rather than later. Got time now but unsure what that will be in about 3 hours.

Thought we couldn't trade gold anymore....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom