• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i dont really mind that there isnt an expansion. if they keep adding maps/gameplay systems, thats basically all i want more from the game anyway. an expansion is only going to bring more story which i'm not exactly enthralled about. it'll just make bounties more annoying, and the story lost me after 2 awful endings.

Bonethug

i dont really mind that there isnt an expansion. if they keep adding maps/gameplay systems, thats basically all i want more from the game anyway. an expansion is only going to bring more story which i'm not exactly enthralled about. it'll just make bounties more annoying, and the story lost me after 2 awful endings.

An expansion would probably mean a new class as well. That's what people really care about from an expansion.

eek5

The last time I gave that advice someone died a week later lol :x I'd go with 10% dmg if on HC, but I don't really play HC or know what barbs need.

Yeah, true. I'm probably the worst person to get advice for regarding H. I'm doing zero gear checks and just increasing my GR level by 1 each time. It's working though so maybe I'm doing something right lol

An expansion would probably mean a new class as well. That's what people really care about from an expansion.

I'd rather them fix the weak classes and bring everyone up to par with barb/wd/monk first

tm24

I just finally started playing d3 after having the game for at least a year since I needed a new podcast game because Eff mobas right now. I ran out of podcasts but still playing. Im kinda hooked

Every other word in this thread is confusing haha

I was so certain they would announce another expansion at Blizzcon. Extremely disappointed.

How many maps have they added since RoS came out? Two? Not nearly enough. I want an entire new act. I want new classes. New skills and passives. Etc.

evilalien

I'd rather them fix the weak classes and bring everyone up to par with barb/wd/monk first

The "weak" classes change every single patch and isn't something that can be truly fixed. Sure crusaders are a bit underpowered in this current patch but that could easily change in the next one. Demon Hunters and Wizards are perfectly fine to play in the current patch even if they are proving to be a bit unpopular. Both were the goto DPS classes in the last patch.

eek5

The "weak" classes change every single patch and isn't something that can be truly fixed. Sure crusaders are a bit underpowered in this current patch but that could easily change in the next one. Demon Hunters and Wizards are perfectly fine to play in the current patch even if they are proving to be a bit unpopular. Both were the goto DPS classes in the last patch.

There is no reason they need to change though. At some point they need to increase variety instead of power creeping a couple classes forward every season. They're doing a better job of it each season so I don't see why it would be impossible to eventually reach a state where all the classes have a couple viable builds around the same power level. Saying it isn't something that can be fixed is silly. It wouldn't even take a lot.

joesmokey

Well this might be the most impressive loot for me for Season 4:
g6N9iDR.png

Thank you based Dashing Strike.

Tarazet

How would an inexperienced/casual player level in 3 hours?

Unless you have some lvl 70 legendary weapon that you downgraded to lvl 1 using the gem of ease, which would allow you to easily do Torment difficulties at low lvls, and a bunch of other low lvl legendaries you kept in stock for some reason, then putting some high rank legendary gems in socketed yellow rings & amulet, I really don't know how you can reach lvl 1 to 70 in 3 hours. I've leveled my season characters with my girlfriend and it took us a few days by starting at Hard, then moving difficulty up to Expert or Master depending on our gear.

Today I made a new seasonal WD, had him craft rare spears then upgraded them to legendary in the cube.. did that until I got an ancient Scrimshaw (easy as there are only 2 spears on the WD loot table). Got the right stats on it, so I rolled AD into Vit, used one of my Ramaladni's, and put in a Gem of Ease. Put it on T6 and sailed to level 40 in about 10 minutes, then gambled at Kadala to fill out all my armor slots, ratcheted it down to T4 and did bounties. Took about 2 hours to 70. Not something you can do with your first toon obviously, but leveling is by far the easiest part this time around.

Nokterian

Today I made a new seasonal WD, had him craft rare spears then upgraded them to legendary in the cube.. did that until I got an ancient Scrimshaw (easy as there are only 2 spears on the WD loot table). Got the right stats on it, so I rolled AD into Vit, used one of my Ramaladni's, and put in a Gem of Ease. Put it on T6 and sailed to level 40 in about 10 minutes, then gambled at Kadala to fill out all my armor slots, ratcheted it down to T4 and did bounties. Took about 2 hours to 70. Not something you can do with your first toon obviously, but leveling is by far the easiest part this time around.

Did the same thing with all my other toons just asked in the clan if someone could speed level me up in t6 and got a lot of luck with my other toons in term of gear through rifts and lower grifts when getting gear and kadala off course.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
maybe all the 'expansion' rumours (skovos, hirings) are actually for diablo 4 and 2.4 will just be closer to 2.3's scale (one new area, new mobs, etc.)

or maybe 2.4 will be much bigger (skovos), closer to an expansion

all i know is please fix teleport to be worthwhile without an aether walker and add a couple of zeros to all the wizard set bonuses thanks blizzard

Firemind

maybe all the 'expansion' rumours (skovos, hirings) are actually for diablo 4 and 2.4 will just be closer to 2.3's scale (one new area, new mobs, etc.)

or maybe 2.4 will be much bigger (skovos), closer to an expansion

all i know is please fix teleport to be worthwhile without an aether walker and add a couple of zeros to all the wizard set bonuses thanks blizzard
a wizard finished a GR74 in 12 minutes ;)

git gud

evilalien

There is no reason they need to change though. At some point they need to increase variety instead of power creeping a couple classes forward every season. They're doing a better job of it each season so I don't see why it would be impossible to eventually reach a state where all the classes have a couple viable builds around the same power level. Saying it isn't something that can be fixed is silly. It wouldn't even take a lot.

Why do you say it wouldn't take a lot? They will never again release a balancing patch mid season to bump up the lower classes as that is counter to the purpose of the seasonal ladder. That only lets them try to balance classes while creating new class sets for next large patch, and no matter what they do they will inevitably overlook something. It's not nearly as simple as looking at DH Unhallowed Essence players and bumping up the damage a few notches because the best player is 10 grift levels lower than the top barbarian. Balancing for the top end is not a good practice in general anyways.

Dreavus

step 1) find trash fists
step 2) speed farm t8 w/ gen sage build
step 3) upgrade rare to GG fists
???
stop playing

Been doing this.

One ancient down, one to go, lol.

I kind of did step 5 a little early tho so I might have to go back.

eek5

Why do you say it wouldn't take a lot? They will never again release a balancing patch mid season to bump up the lower classes as that is counter to the purpose of the seasonal ladder. That only lets them try to balance classes while creating new class sets for next large patch, and no matter what they do they will inevitably overlook something. It's not nearly as simple as looking at DH Unhallowed Essence players and bumping up the damage a few notches because the best player is 10 grift levels lower than the top barbarian. Balancing for the top end is not a good practice in general anyways.

Wow you make really good points! I agree with you; they shouldn't even try to balance the game.

evilalien

Wow you make really good points! I agree with you; they shouldn't even try to balance the game.

Not even remotely my point. They should try to balance but it is unreasonable to expect them to get all classes on the same level in terms of pushing grifts solo, in addition to adding new gameplay changing sets or things like the cube and without the benefit of being able to tweak balance mid season.

Dahbomb

Not even remotely my point. They should try to balance but it is unreasonable to expect them to get all classes on the same level in terms of pushing grifts solo, in addition to adding new gameplay changing sets or things like the cube and without the benefit of being able to tweak balance mid season.
Minus launching a new expansion (which I am sure everyone here would like to see)... what do you suggest Blizzard do with Diablo 3 going forward?

Honest question, no troll here.

evilalien

Minus launching a new expansion (which I am sure everyone here would like to see)... what do you suggest Blizzard do with Diablo 3 going forward?

Honest question, no troll here.

Not sure what you are looking for here. I want a new expansion. Barring that I'm fine with them continuing to add new ways to play every class every patch via new sets or things like the cube. I wish they would improve old sets to keep them viable every patch instead of letting them languish until they decide to update them.

Dahbomb

Not sure what you are looking for here. I want a new expansion. Barring that I'm fine with them continuing to add new ways to play every class every patch via new sets or things like the cube. I wish they would improve old sets to keep them viable every patch instead of letting them languish until they decide to update them.
That's exactly what they are doing in patch 2.4.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/19889980/patch-230-developer-qa-transcript-9-8-2015

OwenLantos: With so many newer and stronger class sets, some of the old class sets (e.g. Firebird's Finery, Jade Harvester) became extremely weak. Are there any plans to rework these sets in the near future? Possibly in 2.4? I really like Firebird Wizard, but it is just so underwhelming right now...

John Yang: Yes, 100%, absolutely. Internally, we have already updated, revamped, or redesigned completely many of the six piece sets that are currently not seeing use. The ones that are already done include Shadow's Mantle, Might of the Earth, Jade Harvester, Firebird's Finery, Armor of Akkhan, Thorns of the Invoker, and Embodiment of the Marauder. Monkey King’s Garb and Inna's Mantra are also being worked on. The goal is to bring all of these sets up to the power level of the current top 2.3 sets/builds.

Dahbomb

I am very confident that the Monk Healing build will not survive in patch 2.4.

The SWK group build on the other hand I don't have an idea on how they plan to tackle that set. Clearly that set is going to have a 6pc bonus but the 6pc bonus can't be buffing up EP damage even more.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
honestly they should barely touch monk, barb, and wd in the next patch. the main issue with high-level grifting, it strikes me, is that the best utility and dps builds are all on those three classes. i feel like they should just make more roles more viable on other classes at this point.

Mutombo

My level 70 hardcore monk, my first foray in 2.3, with pretty much the most awesome gear to clear level 25/30 GR's with ease, just died. Woe me.

Dahbomb

honestly they should barely touch monk, barb, and wd in the next patch. the main issue with high-level grifting, it strikes me, is that the best utility and dps builds are all on those three classes. i feel like they should just make more roles more viable on other classes at this point.
Well those classes still have crap sets.

Inna's 6 piece bonus is a joke currently. SWK doesn't have a 6pc bonus currently.

For Barbs, the Earthquake set sucks. For WD, the Jade set sucks. Getting those in line with the rest of their sets would give more options for the classes which is always good.

Buffing the other classes sets should produce more playstyles by default.

In the end though there will always be a couple of best support classes and one or two best DPS classes. The goal should always be to have all the classes be within 5 GRs of each other in terms of solo play with multiple builds that can push that level.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well those classes still have crap sets.

Inna's 6 piece bonus is a joke currently. SWK doesn't have a 6pc bonus currently.

For Barbs, the Earthquake set sucks. For WD, the Jade set sucks. Getting those in line with the rest of their sets would give more options for the classes which is always good.

Buffing the other classes sets should produce more playstyles by default.

In the end though there will always be a couple of best support classes and one or two best DPS classes. The goal should always be to have all the classes be within 5 GRs of each other in terms of solo play with multiple builds that can push that level.

Yeah but if you buff those classes as much as you buff the other classes you're not going to change anything.

And yes, there will always be best and worst support and DPS classes. The issue, as I say, is that they're currently the same classes.

[edit] Another interesting possibility is balancing groups so that different combinations of heroes are roughly equally powerful even if mix-and-matching them is weaker. So, say, a 2 monk + 2 barb team would be about as effective as a 2 wiz + 1 wd + 1 crusader team, but a 2 monk + 2 wiz team would be worse than either. That way you could somewhat mitigate the 'there's always one best dps and utility class' issue. But that would require a higher level of coordination between teams that work on each class.

Mutombo

anyone on EU HC new season? My 70 crusader has died, and I would like to quickly be back at 70 again with a monk. All i need to do is join you while you do your torment rifts :)

So i just bought vanilla yesterday and im fucking addicted. My witch doctor is already level 22 after playing a couple hours on expert. I think ill get around to buying the expansion when i get towards the end

Any beginner tips, tricks, or easter eggs?

ZenaxPure

Any beginner tips, tricks, or easter eggs?

Just keep playing. The leveling process and endgame have very little in common in terms of structure, they may as well be 2 different games. Especially considering you are presumably doing the story right now which you will never touch again after buying the expansion and gaining access to adventure mode.

Top Bottom