• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Did a TX rift in 1:45 last night! Cold Multishot UE Demon Hunter is no joke for speed rifts and gold stashing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EKP4eN8iH0c

Yeah that's what I've been using, although I didn't bother with In Geom as I found it inconsistent last season, once in a while you get the shit rift with no elites and then it's slow, and in general it's so so, it's only good when you get the good rifts basically.

My gear's pretty crappy(only quiver has disc roll, non ancient yang, no hellfire amulet just a random one without even that good rolls etc) but I was consistently getting ~3mins clear(while stopping to loot and stuff), and in 45GRs more like 2mins cause no looting and better density. I switched to UE as soon as I got the items as it's just much better for farming than Shadow or Marauder, Nat's pretty good too but it's also more annoying to play I found.

th3dude

Been playing with and enjoying the Invoker set on my Crusader.

Kadala was kind enough to drop a Belt of the Trove for me last night. Wow does that belt provide a jump in DPS.

Edit: Someone get my man Black in the clan! On a related note, I'm happy to be an officer for a while to help with invites if there are some inactives that need replaced.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
the "lame duck class" is the top DPS class this patch, it just sucks with firebird (it may be bugged and if it is it'll get fixed)

So in essence wizards are just going to have to grind their way out of the firebird set into a different set in order to catch up to everyone else's free set damage numbers? Because that's kind of what it sounds like...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Pretty much

I think for S6 I'm going to wait a week before starting to play, that way I can choose which class to play with the knowledge of what works great and what sucks. Because now I wish I'd rebirthed a different class. :(

LTWood12

On my first playthrough ever and just reached Act III. Playing a Demon Hunter and I'm level 48 or so (on Expert). Just started looking at guides, builds, etc. and I don't know what anything means lol. What is the best way to play this game? Once I get through all the acts on Expert, should I just go back through the game on higher difficulties with the same character? Create a new character?

Syntsui

On my first playthrough ever and just reached Act III. Playing a Demon Hunter and I'm level 48 or so (on Expert). Just started looking at guides, builds, etc. and I don't know what anything means lol. What is the best way to play this game? Once I get through all the acts on Expert, should I just go back through the game on higher difficulties with the same character? Create a new character?

Keep investing in the character, play adventure mode, do bounties/rifts, farm materials for Hellfire Dex Amulet, focus on a specific build and farm for it's set.

You can do this in a week or, if you have the time, in a weekend.

I think for S6 I'm going to wait a week before starting to play, that way I can choose which class to play with the knowledge of what works great and what sucks. Because now I wish I'd rebirthed a different class. :(

Well there was a whole PTR to figure that out...

Do you have Reaper of Souls? If you don't, then yeah there's not much else other than restarting until you hit 60, then playing another char, vanilla didn't have too much too offer.

If you have RoS, once you've cleared the story, you get Adventure mode, which has bounties(event/quests that give bags of rewards, randomized when you start the game) as well as Rifts(randomized dungeons with a Rift Guardian at the end) which are a lot more interesting for leveling. Then once you reach 70 you can do Greater Rifts too which are a bit different than normal Rifts and scale in difficulty forever(although there is a soft cap based on the maximum power level you can attain with current gear).

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So I finally reinstalled this game after not really playing since Season 3.

Powerleveled with some friends to 70 on my Season DH and got some pieces of the free set. Can anyone explain what Blizzard is going for with the free DH set this season? Some kind of weird Impale build? I haven't really played a lot of DH before now, but this seems kinda strange. Most people seem to be ditching the set in favor of others once they get going.

h3ro

Yeah that's what I've been using, although I didn't bother with In Geom as I found it inconsistent last season, once in a while you get the shit rift with no elites and then it's slow, and in general it's so so, it's only good when you get the good rifts basically.

My gear's pretty crappy(only quiver has disc roll, non ancient yang, no hellfire amulet just a random one without even that good rolls etc) but I was consistently getting ~3mins clear(while stopping to loot and stuff), and in 45GRs more like 2mins cause no looting and better density. I switched to UE as soon as I got the items as it's just much better for farming than Shadow or Marauder, Nat's pretty good too but it's also more annoying to play I found.

It looks better than the Cluster Shot/Marauder build, I will try this one.
Yup! It's a fantastic farming build! I made some changes to suit my gear though. I had both an ancient Warchezian bracers and Goldwrap so I'm running Dawn and Nemesis bracers in the cube. The extra gold from Boon of the hoarder is welcome for the crazy cost of empowered rifts.
Also, with unoptimized gear, was able to clear a Level 70 greater rift solo. I'm really enjoying the changes to UE so far!

So I finally reinstalled this game after not really playing since Season 3.

Powerleveled with some friends to 70 on my Season DH and got some pieces of the free set. Can anyone explain what Blizzard is going for with the free DH set this season? Some kind of weird Impale build? I haven't really played a lot of DH before now, but this seems kinda strange. Most people seem to be ditching the set in favor of others once they get going.

Impale isn't too far behind the other sets and is actually really nice for grouping. Set is definitely very weird to play though, it's not your traditional set.

Mostly there's 2 variants, the one with the FoK dagger and Fan of Knives to go with obviously, and the other with the pure Impale dagger. First one relies on syncing your long cooldown FoK with your CoE rotation on lightning and having a good amount of stacks up so you basically one shot everything with FoK, while the other rely on just brute forcing stuff by spamming Impales.

Both are extremely bursty, but terrible at dealing with trash, so you mostly vault around the rift looking for juicy elites/champions, blow them up in seconds, then move on. They're basically the opposite of the traditional GR gameplay, which is pretty fun. Oh and then the Rift Guardian spawns, and it dies in 10seconds, good stuff.

It's definitely awful for speed rifts and most bounties, and for pushing GRs a lot of people prefer the tried and true turret leapfrogging or multishot sniper stuff.

LTWood12

Do you have Reaper of Souls? If you don't, then yeah there's not much else other than restarting until you hit 60, then playing another char, vanilla didn't have too much too offer.

If you have RoS, once you've cleared the story, you get Adventure mode, which has bounties(event/quests that give bags of rewards, randomized when you start the game) as well as Rifts(randomized dungeons with a Rift Guardian at the end) which are a lot more interesting for leveling. Then once you reach 70 you can do Greater Rifts too which are a bit different than normal Rifts and scale in difficulty forever(although there is a soft cap based on the maximum power level you can attain with current gear).

Yes I do have RoS. Thanks!

Keep investing in the character, play adventure mode, do bounties/rifts, farm materials for Hellfire Dex Amulet, focus on a specific build and farm for it's set.

You can do this in a week or, if you have the time, in a weekend.

Awesome. Do the sets just drop randomly or from specific encounters/bosses?

Maledict

I don't care how viable it is, Vyr's set is unbelievable fun with the right supporting gear. Mana free, infinite teleports, and utterly insane damage, it's completely fantastic.

Freeman76

Hiw do you guys work out which sets go with which builds? I got to T5 never really bothering with any of that, if its stronger i equip it, if its not I salvage it. I enjoy hunting for rares in games, this one always felt very random and as though builds/sets werent important. Im on console version btw

Syntsui

Hiw do you guys work out which sets go with which builds? I got to T5 never really bothering with any of that, if its stronger i equip it, if its not I salvage it. I enjoy hunting for rares in games, this one always felt very random and as though builds/sets werent important. Im on console version btw

I use this forum/diablofans forum and the youtube videos. If it looks fun, I farm the equipments.

I know the point of the season is partially to level up as fast as possible and as high as possible but, I've taken my time with the wizard I'm running. At 52 now, should be 70 by tomorrow, if not tonight.

Freeman76

Lé Blade Runner;192572438 said:
This is the essence of Diablo for me. Look for fun builds, collect the necessary gear, and learn to be as efficient as possible with it.

I love this stuff in games, i spent 1000's of hours running 4 maps in PSO to find better gear. I never really found that with Diablo 3 so perhaps I should look into this side of it more. It always felt majorly random, a bit like Borderlands in a way, where anything can drop anywhere making farming pointless as you never know where you might get the items you want.

I used to love creating new IDs on PSO and browsing drop charts to plan rare runs

Dreavus

I love this stuff in games, i spent 1000's of hours running 4 maps in PSO to find better gear. I never really found that with Diablo 3 so perhaps I should look into this side of it more. It always felt majorly random, a bit like Borderlands in a way, where anything can drop anywhere making farming pointless as you never know where you might get the items you want.

I used to love creating new IDs on PSO and browsing drop charts to plan rare runs

It is still pretty random. The only specific pieces of gear you can target nowadays are the cache items that you get from doing 5 bounties in one Act. Each act has a different drop table so you can kind of go for the one that has an item you want. You can also target an armor slot using Kanai's cube recipes and trading bloodshards to Kadala. Other than that though you can find anything pretty much anywhere.

IIRC they tried having specific legendary crafting mats tied to specific bosses/elites, but decided to take it out pretty quickly. I think they've moving the game in a different direction than the old school "boss runs", but that means you can do whatever you want and still find some cool items doing it.

It's a little frustrating when you're missing that last set piece and you can't do much to target farm it, but with things like "reroll a set piece into a different piece in the same set" from the cube, it makes it more bearable.

Builds just keep getting crazier. They have been adding new legendaries and reworking old ones on a consistent basis each season that there are tons of options for building a strategy.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
This is the first season I am actually using a leveling and build guide. I am having so much more fun this time. I wanted to be different and I am using a wizard. Seems I chose poorly.

This is the first season I am actually using a leveling and build guide. I am having so much more fun this time. I wanted to be different and I am using a wizard. Seems I chose poorly.

Yeah, I know your pain. Usually I go barb for season but, wanted to change it up. I chose a bad time to do that I guess. Oh well, I'm still doing it; odds be damned.

Tarazet

Yeah, I know your pain. Usually I go barb for season but, wanted to change it up. I chose a bad time to do that I guess. Oh well, I'm still doing it; odds be damned.

Wizard is fine, it's just that Firebird's set is extremely gear quality dependent. People were getting it into the high 70's on the PTR even after all the nerfs, but it was a bad choice to make it the "everyman" set that you get by doing the easy shit. Like I've been saying throughout this thread it should have been Tal Rasha. As it is, people are going to suffer through sucking with Firebird's, go to the OP Delsere's set as soon as they can, and miss out on the fun experience that is Tal Rasha. I know because that's exactly what I experienced.

Wizard is fine, it's just that Firebird's set is extremely gear quality dependent. People were getting it into the high 70's on the PTR even after all the nerfs, but it was a bad choice to make it the "everyman" set that you get by doing the easy shit. Like I've been saying throughout this thread it should have been Tal Rasha. As it is, people are going to suffer through sucking with Firebird's, go to the OP Delsere's set as soon as they can, and miss out on the fun experience that is Tal Rasha. I know because that's exactly what I experienced.

Ahh, gotcha.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm gonna try to get some WD gear tonight. They have a bunch of sets/builds that look fun.

Guys, want some Roland set? Guys? Guys?

I actually dig the Rolands playstyle, but it's something I've done before and I want to try something new (like Akkhan or a shotgun build)

Maledict

No they weren't - that was prior to the final set of nerfs. The only way someone is using Firebirds to get to rank 70 is if it's 4 piece Firebirds plus Tal Rasha's, or they exploit some form of bug.

Firebirds just doesn't work as a decent set right now because of the mechanics, which were changed several times during the PtR.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
No they weren't - that was prior to the final set of nerfs. The only way someone is using Firebirds to get to rank 70 is if it's 4 piece Firebirds plus Tal Rasha's, or they exploit some form of bug.

Firebirds just doesn't work as a decent set right now because of the mechanics, which were changed several times during the PtR.

When they reintroduced it towards the end, someone still ended up at GR 77-78 with it, with little optimization I assume. I'm 99.9% sure they didn't exploit. It's a horrendous playstyle, but it's not a horrendous set. Like Tazaret has been saying, it's a horrible intro set because the playstyle is a bit clunky and extremely niche, but the numbers aren't too far off from the norm relative power of most sets across classes.

Maledict

When they reintroduced it towards the end, someone still ended up at GR 77-78 with it, with little optimization I assume. I'm 99.9% sure they didn't exploit. It's a horrendous playstyle, but it's not a horrendous set. Like Tazaret has been saying, it's a horrible intro set because the playstyle is a bit clunky and extremely niche, but the numbers aren't too far off from the norm relative power of most sets across classes.

Um, the numbers are *wildly* off the other sets.

Delsires and Tal'Rasha are both 2000% extra damage, plus significant other benefits including massive defensive buffs. Firebirds is 600% damage with no defensive buffs. The burning DoT doesn't come close to that massive damage difference.

(Helltooth is again similar - double the damage, plus a defensive buff, plus a group debuff, plus a better DoT that doesn't require 4 seconds of channelling).

Even when I get the bug where the firebirds buff is up all the time, my unoptimised Vyr set is significantly faster, safer and easier.

Firebirds numbers are simply far too low, because they massively over nerfed them after some people found some neat exploits on the PTR, rather than actually fixing the exploits...

Tarazet

WHO DO I BLOW FOR A FURNACE? IS IT MOSQUIERA?

;_;

OR A DECENT (READ: ANCIENT) TWISTED SWORD/UNSTABLE SCEPTER.

For the Furnace, upgrade rare 2h Maces in the cube, and you'll get it before too long. There aren't many of them on the Wizard loot table. I've done it every season since the cube was introduced and it never took me more than 3 tries. (I'm actually cubing Triumvirate though.) As far as getting an ancient Scepter, I'd get an extra and then just keep rerolling it. Nothing else you can get will make as much of a difference as getting a good one of those.

Tried the Invoker set, complete but I'm still missing shield/high level Boyarsky/some cube stuff. Holy fuck this set is impossible to kill, things that one shotted my old build barely make a dent here. But my dps went down a crater, gotta find out what I did wrong.

Mastering the set dungeon might be the hardest part of the journey. Unless there's one that's really easy to do. Firebird's is fucked, so I did DMO for the earlier part, but I ran out of time to kill the extra mobs at the end on my final go round.

Shouta

Guys, want some Roland set? Guys? Guys?

That the sweep one? I never tried it so I might do it this season after I'm satisfied with my Thorns.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shouta-1258/hero/43526959

I just got Hack for my Cube so I should be ripping through stuff even faster.

3 Crusaders running into the thick of things is pretty fun when you've got Barrels covering you. We were doing GR48 farm pretty easily. I'm pretty sure we could do GR50 no problem, lol.

Tendo

For the Demon Hunter Shadow set bonus of 600% damage with a melee weapon, would that work if I had a melee 1h and a 1h crossbow? I'm not a big fan of bolas or grenades.

Bombless

For the Demon Hunter Shadow set bonus of 600% damage with a melee weapon, would that work if I had a melee 1h and a 1h crossbow? I'm not a big fan of bolas or grenades.

I haven't tried that but I don't think you can dual wield a melee and ranged at the same time.

Tendo

I haven't tried that but I don't think you can dual wield a melee and ranged at the same time.

The halllowed set has a 1h dagger and 1h crossbow choice. I don't want to waste crafting materials before I know for sure though, and I'm not sure how to tell if the 600% damage bonus is active.

Tendo

So if I want that set buff I have to use bolas or grenades? :( awe man.

Edit: I have a 1h sword and a quiver now - I should be good to get that set buff then right?

Top Bottom