• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

So if I want that set buff I have to use bolas or grenades? :( awe man.

Edit: I have a 1h sword and a quiver now - I should be good to get that set buff then right?

Yeah, you're good. In the beginning I used a rare sword to cope until I got Karlei's Point

For the Demon Hunter Shadow set bonus of 600% damage with a melee weapon, would that work if I had a melee 1h and a 1h crossbow? I'm not a big fan of bolas or grenades.

You always want to use a quiver so crossbow as offhand is out of the question. For main hand just use whatever dagger you find, even rare ones until you get your hands on a Karlei's Point, just keep upgrading rare daggers using the cube you'll get it very easily since there are only two possible outcomes, the other one is also quite useful as well, cube it after you get Karlei's Point.

For skills the reason for Bolas is because it has a lightning damage rune which syncs well with Impale/Ricochet which is also lightning damage.

Tendo

You always want to use a quiver so crossbow as offhand is out of the question. For main hand just use whatever dagger you find, even rare ones until you get your hands on a Karlei's Point, just keep upgrading rare daggers using the cube you'll get it very easily since there are only two possible outcomes, the other one is also quite useful as well, cube it after you get Karlei's Point.

For skills the reason for Bolas is because it has a lightning damage rune which syncs well with Impale/Ricochet which is also lightning damage.

So I should look for + lightning damage skills then?

Yes, aim for +lightning damage on your bracer and get a Holy Point Shot quiver which is the only quiver with that attribute. Reaper's Wraps is a good starting choice, very useful legendary attribute, it's crafting gear as well, kill Malthael for its recipe, aim for Dex/Vit/Crit/Lightning.

Xeteh

Man, I have done some 20 sets of bounties and I still haven't gotten the level 70 Sage's set plan. It is driving me up the wall.

Gearing process for shadow would be to first focus on getting a good weapon. With rares in every slot you'll have no problem killing everything for you 6pc(assuming it's your first char), at which point Impale will one shot everything up until like torment 10 even with rare gear/no skill/elemental damage, it's just that strong.

I'd highly recommend investing your first 25 death breaths into a dagger upgrade legendary cube recipe, as the only 2 daggers you can get are pretty good. I find Greenstone one to be better for farming low torments, so hopefully you get that one. Use the lightning FoK rune and just vault into a large pack of stuff and kill everything with it everytime it's up, while you Impale the elites and stuff.

Other good item for shadow is the vault belt. It's great for moving around, doing bounties and other stuff like that. It's like a poor man's Danetta set(but it doesn't waste your weapon slots), Impale, vault a bunch of times, Impale, vault a bunch of times. And then obviously you want a Dawn to cube for perma vengeance, and a Visage to go with it for the damage reduction. On most DH builds, these 2 take the weapon/armor slots of the cube.

Then really what you want to do is get 6pc UE with a Yang's Recurve and Deadman's quiver, so you can multishot farm, it's just way more efficient for torment farming. You can keep farming as Shadow, but it'll be slower. Shadow excels at more difficulty content(GR50+), especially in a group setting but the lack of aoe makes it so so for your basic farming. I've been climbing GRs with Shadow myself cause I find the playstyle interesting, pretty sure I'd have an easier time with Marauder or UE but it's just fun to see the big crits and chunk elites like they're low torment trash.

Tarazet

I've been running the Delsere's set with a Spectral Blades/Arcane Orb setup. It's interesting and makes you into a pretty effective tanky wizard. Here's kind of how it works:

- The Shame of Delsere (waist): makes your Spectral Blades attack faster and do more damage.
- Unstable Scepter (wand): buffs Arcane Orb and makes it explode a second time when it goes off.
- Triumvirate (offhand): Makes your signature spells (in this case Spectral Blades) generate a stacking buff on your next Arcane Orb.
- Orb of Infinite Depth (offhand): Makes your Explosive Blasts stack an offensive and defensive buff on you.
- Halo of Arlyse: Essentially mandatory Wizard ring in this patch for its ridiculously good defensive capability. No room in this build to put a rune on the nova, though.

And the interactions between Arcane Orb (with Arcane Orbit rune) and the Delsere's 6 piece are self explanatory. Since you want to be damaging enemies that are within the tight space of your Slow Time, if you are running solo you want to have your follower pulling mobs in whenever possible.

I have a Hellfire Amulet with the Illusionist passive, so I'm using Blur, Audacity, Unstable Anomaly and Arcane Dynamo for passives. If you aren't using a Hellfire amulet, I would drop Blur for Illusionist. The resets on Teleport are extremely useful on higher difficulties, and you can essentially keep the 25% damage reduction up all the time. Audacity is also mandatory since this is a purely melee-focused build.

I love this stuff in games, i spent 1000's of hours running 4 maps in PSO to find better gear. I never really found that with Diablo 3 so perhaps I should look into this side of it more. It always felt majorly random, a bit like Borderlands in a way, where anything can drop anywhere making farming pointless as you never know where you might get the items you want.

I used to love creating new IDs on PSO and browsing drop charts to plan rare runs

If you want a game where you can grind for specific items more easily, play Marvel Heroes 2015. :p

With that said, I think the grind in Diablo 3 is much more bearable these days thanks to the Cube. And since there are a lot of viable builds ( especially if you consider the state the game used to be in ), you won't get bored with a class so easily.

Best of all, though, is the gameplay, which I still think is the best in the genre. If you have a good group with great synergy, and you're pushing those greater rifts... Man, that's just something that no other ARPG delivers.

After thousands of DBs and tens of thousands of blood shards i dropped my band of might rofl. What a waste.
Got my furnace at first upgrade though so im happy
Gr70 here i come

Finally mastered the Akkhan dungeon, fuck these set dungeons.

They're not even fun. The challenge is luck based on what I had to do with the Earth set dungeon... fucking non stop missing 1-5 imps for an hour or two before timer run out on a huge ass act 2 dungeon map. You also have to unequip some gear to tone down your dps or else you make it impossible.

Seriously can't believe they waste their time on it.

Bombless

Finally mastered the Akkhan dungeon, fuck these set dungeons.

They're not even fun. The challenge is luck based on what I had to do with the Earth set dungeon... fucking non stop missing 1-5 imps for an hour or two before timer run out on a huge ass act 2 dungeon map. You also have to unequip some gear to tone down your dps or else you make it impossible.

Seriously can't believe they waste their time on it.

Don't get me started on the Shadow set dungeon.

Maledict

I actually don't understand some of them - the Wastes dungeon for Barbarians requires you to not get hit by physical damage for the entire run, whilst killing tons of monsters using abilities that require you to stand in the middle of 30 of them.

I thought the set dungeons would be more skill based off the actual sets and abilties, instead they seem to be really random luck based trials which are plain unfun. I don't get what the intention behind them is at all.

I actually don't understand some of them - the Wastes dungeon for Barbarians requires you to not get hit by physical damage for the entire run, whilst killing tons of monsters using abilities that require you to stand in the middle of 30 of them.

I thought the set dungeons would be more skill based off the actual sets and abilties, instead they seem to be really random luck based trials which are plain unfun. I don't get what the intention behind them is at all.

You're supposed to kill the monsters with the tornadoes...
Earthquake dungeon is easy but having to cast earthquake manually (ie not proccing from leap) for elites is annoying, I guess I'll try it once more but I did one objective and the dungeon first try, nothing hard

Bombless

The Shadows dungeon asks you to kill 120 mobs of which 100 have to be killed in series of 20 hits with Impale first touch AND every hit needs to be on a different target or the series gets reset. With the majority of mobs being shield skeletons.

You also need to snare 40 mobs with your Shadow Power snare...except the set bonus that gives you all the runes is bugged. The snare is only provided upon activation (or reactivation) of the skill and only for 5 seconds.

All this in 4.5 minutes.

I know how to do it, I just lack the hate regen to do it in time. Super annoying.

At least through this I found out that Impale's hitbox can actually kill multiple targets if they're close enough to each other.

You're supposed to kill the monsters with the tornadoes...
Earthquake dungeon is easy but having to cast earthquake manually (ie not proccing from leap) for elites is annoying, I guess I'll try it once more but I did one objective and the dungeon first try, nothing hard

You seriously mastered it first try? Don't forget you have to keep killing frozen enemies within 10s in the first min so you have to keep leaping WHILE trying to lower your CD of earthquake skill for the randomly placed elite and making sure all 200+ imp is killed in the map and they fucking run everywhere.

I had no problem at all with the time limit
Freezing challenge was easy, you only have to do it for a minute, I used the cold rune on earthquake and it was taken care of
The only annoying thing is having to cast everything on every elite, but I failed it on the first one because I didn't know you have to manually cast EQ
There's only 4-5 elites anyway, CD on earthquake is not that high, with like 3-4 fully charged boulders it's up again. Use boon of bul kathos if you're having issues.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Too much I wanna do this diablo season man. Pushing with reakor/earthquake, building up my LoN lightning whirlwind set, and eventually I wanna roll a DH alt lol.

The Shadows dungeon asks you to kill 120 mobs of which 100 have to be killed in series of 20 hits with Impale first touch AND every hit needs to be on a different target or the series gets reset. With the majority of mobs being shield skeletons.

You also need to snare 40 mobs with your Shadow Power snare...except the set bonus that gives you all the runes is bugged. The snare is only provided upon activation (or reactivation) of the skill and only for 5 seconds.

All this in 4.5 minutes.

I know how to do it, I just lack the hate regen to do it in time. Super annoying.

At least through this I found out that Impale's hitbox can actually kill multiple targets if they're close enough to each other.

Having Dawn cubed with Vengeance Seething makes the hatred management very easy. Also can use templar(he doesn't mess up stuff in this dungeon), Bat and Preparation. The rest of the stuff was very easy for me, vault in front of the mob, impale, they die, impale another and so on. Big guys were the issue for the mastery, but don't need to kill them for just the normal completion.

And the activation thing was a complete non factor? You only need like 40mobs, just press the button every pack and it's done like 1/3rd of the dungeon in. It's not bugged, it does exactly what it says, which is give 5secs of slow when you activate. The rune doesn't say it gives you an aura permanently for the duration of shadow power unlike the others which have no set durations.

Out of the ones I've done already, Shadow was overall fairly easy. It took me a couple of runs to figure out that missing drops the chain so I stopped trying to impale stuff at range and just point blank impale them instead and that got it done on first try after that(well the mastery took one more, time ran out with 1mob left).

Oh and Impale doesn't hit multiple targets unless you have the rune. You probably have some area damage? Skeletons will die in one hit to area damage when it procs. Can be worth removing it from your paragons so it doesn't kill too much random stuff, but there's like 200mobs in the dungeon so you shouldn't be running out of them for the chain stuff.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Wings
Journey
Conquest (gotta master 8 for one)

That's about it. I don't think I'll bother much more than that.

I'm not even sure I'll even give them a single try to be honest. Maybe my main set for my main char, if any. This is one of those additions that would have been nice if introduced much earlier (like at the beginning of RoS for instance), with better rewards, but now, it's just useless. Unless you absolutely have to get dem wings and portraits I guess.

I just did the one for the journey honestly
It's nice for a challenge and trying some stuff I guess, nothing wrong with that
The wings suck anyway. The first ones are decent I guess (complete all dungeons) but the second ones are disgusting (master all dungeons)

How do I even get to these set dungeons? I'm wearing the complete Marauder set btw.

If you go to Leoric's Manor, there's a new area there with a bunch of stuff and you can find a book on a lectern that's named Set something, you click on it with the full set and you get a clue to the location of the entrance of the dungeon. Then you go there and a portal will spawn. Or you can use google to find the location instantly.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm loving thorns crusader. I usually play classes that can't take a hit so being able to tank in this game is a breath of fresh air.

The set dungeons are awful though. I've done 10 of them and mastered 1. I've no desire to do any others. The only reason I even tried that many to begin with was so that I could give a fair assessment of them and other than the Invoker dungeon they are all bad. The invoker one keeps it simple and focuses on teaching you how the set works. It doesn't needlessly complicate matters with objectives that have nothing to do with the sets (e.g. "don't take physical damage" or "don't let this enemy that you cannot see (rockworm) get within melee range of you". Not to mention the other problems like needing to remove tons of gear to complete them. I can appreciate the desire to challenge players and make them think but I'm not sure set dungeons are the best place to do it. I'd rather that sort of thing be a whole other type of rift or something.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Any fellow wizards out there who would wanna link me their profiles so I can lurk? :3

Sure bud, this is my rebirthed wizard so far:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Mengy-1287/hero/1409641

I have to say that even though Firebird's is getting some hate, I'm having a good time with it so far. Last night after getting a few better legendaries for other slots, and cubing some new legends for more appropriate Kanai powers, I'm kind of tearing shit up. Last night I kept upping the GR levels one after the other and I've not hit the wall yet, up to GR28 and I pretty much breezed through it, which is close to T7 I think? Shit just melted in front of me, downed the rift boss in like 8 minutes so I had plenty of time left. The belt I found, Hergbrash, it discounts Disintegrate so much that it's essentially free to cast now, full time lasers! I don't even need a signature skill now to replenish mana. And then I found an Aquila Cuirass which I can't wear (or I'd lose the 6-pc set bonus) BUT I cubed it and get the legend power that way, which now that I run with full mana full time thanks to the belt, well my toughness is now up around 21,000,000. I'm feeling surprisingly tanky on my wizard right now.

Tonight I'll keep upping the GR's to see where I top out at. I need to level my gems anyway.

Hello fellers.

So. Ive played some diablo 3. Like not a ton, but a lot. But ive hit a point where i really dont know wtf im supposed to be doing?

Im a 110 paragon Monk. So ive been after the endgame at least for a bit. I know there are a ton of good monk builds, like the sunwuko (spelling) set doing a lot. Currently, Im rocking blackthorne because I only have one piece of the sunwuko. I do have a flying dragon though! My current build is focused on doing a lot of lightning and using sweeping wind to keep the DPS up.

So. What.......what do i do now?

Should I be farming bounties? Should I be doing act 1 over and over until I get a ring of royal grandur? Should I be doing rifts? Currently I top out around level 18-20 GR. Should I keep doing that? Should I always be doing the hardest rift I havent cleared?

Like, i guess my question is....what activities should I really be focusing on?

RS4-

I managed to finish the whole Tal Rasha set yesterday, so I mixed it with the 2pc firebirds, just blowing shit up since I managed to find some aetherwalkers as well. I need better stuff in my cube and not having an rorg for now kinda sucks since I want to get the 3 pc sages bonus for DBs.

It's early and it isn't really meant for GRs, but I can probably cut the 40 min rift down to sub 3 mins.

imo sage isn't good for farming DBs
You're better off maxing move speed and DPS, and blasting through TX, which will give you double death's breaths most of the time (sage's is only +1 per elite, not double, so that's 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2)

You can even throw in the shoulders that give a good chunk of pickup radius to maximize speed (picking up orbs is a pain in the ass when you're not a WD or a DH. Fucking hell blizzard allow us to put paragon points in pickup radius)

Firemind

You're better off maxing move speed and DPS, and blasting through TX, which will give you double death's breaths most of the time (sage's is only +1 per elite, not double, so that's 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2)

You can even throw in the shoulders that give a good chunk of pickup radius to maximize speed (picking up orbs is a pain in the ass when you're not a WD or a DH. Fucking hell blizzard allow us to put paragon points in pickup radius)
i think it's alright if you're a barb with furious charge, ingeom and nemesis bracers.

death's breaths should really be picked up automatically.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
i think it's alright if you're a barb with furious charge, ingeom and nemesis bracers.

I love how the vanity pets now pick up gold, that's incredibly awesome, but I really do wish they would also pick up crafting mats like gems, DB's, arcane dust, and veil crystals. Or at least give us the option to tell them what to pick up and leave behind.

RS4-

Working my way up to tx. I just need better stuff to cube and fine tune stuff with enchanting. Right now I'm doing t7s in about 3 mins which is fine, but you know, blizz doesn't want DBs to be auto picked up. Along with other mats :(

Tendo

What is the best way to farm the high level sets you guys talk about? Blood shard farm for Kadala? Rifts? Bounties?

What is the best way to farm the high level sets you guys talk about? Blood shard farm for Kadala? Rifts? Bounties?

thats basically my question, ive been stuck hovering around rifts 18-20 and want to know what i should be doing now

Farm nephalem rifts at whichever difficulty you're fast enough. A rift shouldn't be longer than 7-8 minutes. Ideally sub 5 consistently if you have good mobility options.
Do some Grifts too to get the 3 leg gems you need to level 25

If you get duplicate set items, don't destroy them. Instead, use kanai's cube to change them into another item of the same set.

Tendo

Farm nephalem rifts at whichever difficulty you're fast enough. A rift shouldn't be longer than 7-8 minutes. Ideally sub 5 consistently if you have good mobility options.

If you get duplicate set items, don't destroy them. Instead, use kanai's cube to change them into another item of the same set.

Which 3 would that be?

just to clarify. regular rifts are at whatever difficulty i start the game in, IE I start at torment 2, the rift is torment 2. and youre saying i should adjust the difficulty to clear it in about 6-7 mins

Grifts are based on the actual level of the rift right? Regardless of what my difficulty is set at? is that correct?

Which 3 would that be?
Depending on your class. Most melee will use bane of the trapped, and even ranged classes will use it often. Then bane of the stricken is BiS for almost any build except support builds..
Last one depends but is usually a tanking gem (esoteric alteration comes to mind) or another DPS gem (gogok, taeguk, zei, ...)
just to clarify. regular rifts are at whatever difficulty i start the game in, IE I start at torment 2, the rift is torment 2. and youre saying i should adjust the difficulty to clear it in about 6-7 mins

Grifts are based on the actual level of the rift right? Regardless of what my difficulty is set at? is that correct?

yeah. If you do GR18-20 I suggest you farm T3 or T4 rifts

Firemind

Yes. Grifts require a keystone which only drops from rift guardians in normal rifts. If you have the gold, I'd always choose the extra gem upgrade. Upgrading gems is a serious pain in the arse.

inky

Famed my Ulianas and almost a full Inna's too, so I'll experiment a bit today with both builds if I can. I'm liking my ghetto build tho. A couple of ancient Sunwuko pieces, Ancient weapon and Cyclone + Lashing Tail kick are doing the trick. Doing Torment VII only, nothing fancy yet. Keeping Sweeping Wind up has proven an interesting mechanic too, but it can get tiring. Other than that it's pretty faceroll.

Still need some of the extras for the other builds.That stupid Royal Grandeur ring just doesn't drop (It's Act I caches right?), and a couple of belts, maybe a Unity too.

Monk is alright, but it did take me a while to get going after hitting 70. I thought it'd be easier considering before the season started I just threw some random gear on my Barb and was able to jump into GR20 right away, but it took me way longer with Monk to just find something I could do decent damage with.

I'll probably stick with it for a couple of days and if I get bored, I'll reroll Wizard or something else.

I've been running into a lot of enemies that get down to 1% HP then just freeze. They can't be killed and don't attack. Kind of frustrating when it happens to rift boss or a guy you have to kill for a bounty.

noob questions

to receive the second part of the free set i have to defeat Zoltun Kulle.

adventure or story? lowest difficulty? can i do it alone?

Top Bottom