• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Azusa

So, how do I access greater rift? I have cleared usual rift on torment 4 and wanted to try G20 to get last pieces of set, but I have no idea how to unlock greater rifts.

Dunfisch

So, how do I access greater rift? I have cleared usual rift on torment 4 and wanted to try G20 to get last pieces of set, but I have no idea how to unlock greater rifts.

You'll need a Greater Rift Key for that. They have a chance to drop from the Rift Guardian in regular rifts, and the higher you go in the Torment difficulties, the greater the chance for a drop. On T4, there's an 80% chance of a drop. You'll recognize them by the infinity symbol on them.

Also check out the drop / difficulty table here, it's up to date:

difficulties.png

In greater detail, "unlocking" GRs happens at Lvl 70. From there, you just open one below the choice of regular rifts. There's another drop-down menu where you can select the tier of the Grift. If you're starting out, you may not have the option to select a 20 Grift right away - run the highest you can, and it'll unlock higher levels accordingly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How do you calculate the difference between a 2-handed weapon and dual wielding? The game doesn't seem to know how to compare.

cabot

damn the jump between T6 and T7, first time I've seen the newer difficulties in convenient stat form.

I might try the jump with my WD, finally got the ledge poison gem for my jade build last night.

Ayumi

Hmm no that's not how the cube works, and it tells you that when you cube it. It destroys the item and gives you the legendary affix in your cube list. In general if you get a good ancient version of a legendary and you don't have a spare yet, it's better to keep it than cube it, unless you technically can't use it at all(for example if you're a DH and get an ancient dawn, it's better to cube since only Natalya can really make use of it as a weapon, every other sets requires different weapons).

If you're using Firebird for example, you'd probably better off farming a Ring of Royal Grandeur from bounties in act1 so you can use the offhand directly which will boost your damage a good bit since it's ancient, while having the 6pc bonus from 5pc+ring.

You kinda want to keep it because if/when you change to a Delserre build, you could make pretty good use of it since it seems to have good rolls.
Thanks for the info. I honestly haven't read up on it yet (I haven't played since.. 2014 or so), but I appreciate your reply!

How do you calculate the difference between a 2-handed weapon and dual wielding? The game doesn't seem to know how to compare.
You can compare by equipping the dual wield weapons first, then hover over the 2H in your inventory/chest. ..At least I'm guessing it works that way (since I used to do it with 1H+source vs 2H) since it takes into account what you're wearing. So if you do it the other way, it'll only count 1 item. If not, then just equip both, and compare screenshots. I use my phone for this, to make it faster/instant without having to tab out and stuff.

damn the jump between T6 and T7, first time I've seen the newer difficulties in convenient stat form.
Was thinking the same, geez. T5 was a breeze on my old wizard, I wonder how far I could push her. But I try to stick with season only now anyway.

------------------------------------

By the way, sorry if it has already been posted, but I found this incredibly awesome build spreadsheet for all the classes/purposes (Google Doc link) yesterday.

Celegus

I remember before they switched to the Torment system Act 2 was a HUGE barrier on the highest difficulty. Those stupid wasps hit for a metric ton, and all those big areas were filled with dense pockets of mobs that would just leap on and instagib you.

I still to this day hate Dhalgur Oasis as a zone--thank god they added the Key Warden indicator, but any Bounty in that zone usually takes as long as 3-5 from the other zones.

And then it finally got doable and we all hit the Ghom wall. Remember how fast the poison cloud would kill you? And then the enrage timer? What a weird game this used to be.

And then it finally got doable and we all hit the Ghom wall. Remember how fast the poison cloud would kill you? And then the enrage timer? What a weird game this used to be.

Yea a lot of it was weird. Remember farming White Ascended Items so you could do crafting? That was a terrible system...

Ayumi

Yea a lot of it was weird. Remember farming White Ascended Items so you could do crafting? That was a terrible system...

One of my fondest memory of what was once a broken game, was the inferno difficulty in vanilla, where dying 30 times through 1 floor was common.

Dunfisch

I thought I had heard Diabolic Cache's (killing act boss bounty chest) also scaled their rewards with the difficulty level.

They do, the table just doesn't go into the details there. Outside of the legendary crafting materials and regular legendaries, you also get more gold and bloodshards from bags collected on higher difficulties.

ZServ

How often does RoS go on sale? I recently picked up UEE after avoiding the game like a plague after vanilla, and I'm digging the hell out of it. Since I have vanilla already on PC, I wouldn't mind throwing an additional $10 at it to get RoS and get crazy.

If death's breath were auto pickups I'd be OK with the <3 minutes challenge but as it stands I just can't leave the death's breath on the ground
Also the fact that the timer ends when you talk to orek is absolutely fucking dogshit

If death's breath were auto pickups I'd be OK with the <3 minutes challenge but as it stands I just can't leave the death's breath on the ground
Also the fact that the timer ends when you talk to orek is absolutely fucking dogshit

I had to install a timer for speedruns and stuff and I'd just check how good I'm doing and if it's too slow I start picking up stuff again and I go and clear the stuff I left before at the end, but yeah it's annoying.

Luckily this season I literally got it done on the first try when I started. Like I equipped my fastest gear set(which surprisingly didn't involve boon of the hoarder/goldwrap etc, I didn't have enough damage to lose a legendary gem and the movespeed wasn't compensating enough) and then got into a god rift with like only elite packs, got done halfway through the first floor in 2:10. Lost a bunch of legendaries cause I didn't have time to pick up everything before it closed after turning it, even though it was such a small area, crazy stuff.

Finally done with GR70, did all of it as Shadow. Fun at times, but super frustrating at others, the spec is really awful against so many types of mobs(like every summoning type mobs, and illusionists are a pain too). Think I'll post it on youtube so people can see how needlessly hard it is. I know I could have done it a lot easier with marauder or UE.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is probably too late but you really should not cube that, save it and wait to find a non-ancient. You're gonna kick yourself as soon as you want to try another build and don't have that ready. Never salvage wearable ancients man.

It's not too late, I couldn't bring myself to cube the ancient source as it actually had pretty good rolls on it too. So I instead....

If you're using Firebird for example, you'd probably better off farming a Ring of Royal Grandeur from bounties in act1 so you can use the offhand directly which will boost your damage a good bit since it's ancient, while having the 6pc bonus from 5pc+ring.

....did this exactly! I had a crappy RoRG in my stash that I was going to cube eventually, so I cubed the ring last night and set it as my Kanai's ring power so I only needed 5-pc Firebird's, this allowed me to ditch the Firebird source and use the superior Ancient Etched Sigil instead. It boosted my dps by a 100K or so but the real win is the constant fire blizzard spam all over the screen which applies the Firebird burning buff to EVERYTHING. T7 is fairly easy now, gonna try T8 and higher tonight.

To add a twist to this season im playing with the Diablo 2 soundtrack. How should I use the greater rifts? Playing them alone? in a group? Is there a best practice for them?

Tarazet

To add a twist to this season im playing with the Diablo 2 soundtrack. How should I use the greater rifts? Playing them alone? in a group? Is there a best practice for them?

There used to be a huge buff to drop rates playing in a group, but I've done plenty of both solo play and group farming so far this season and it seems like they got the balance bang on this time. The major benefit to playing in groups is that you can go higher on GR difficulties, which in turn means better XP, drops, gem upgrades, etc.

Mengy said:
....did this exactly! I had a crappy RoRG in my stash that I was going to cube eventually, so I cubed the ring last night and set it as my Kanai's ring power so I only needed 5-pc Firebird's, this allowed me to ditch the Firebird source and use the superior Ancient Etched Sigil instead. It boosted my dps by a 100K or so but the real win is the constant fire blizzard spam all over the screen which applies the Firebird burning buff to EVERYTHING. T7 is fairly easy now, gonna try T8 and higher tonight.

Gives me an idea for a Tal Rasha build..

you can play GRs solo it's fine
group means a bit more xp (can't remember how much but it's not THAT big, 30% for a group of 4 I think ?) and faster clear time/higher GRs (so in theory much more xp and loot)

RS4-

auto pickup for mats is going to be in the paid expansion. Same with saving loadouts.

Syntsui

So what is the consensus of the best DH build for solo GR (as high as possible)? I'm doing fine with the Marauder/Cluster Arrow one, but I'm not doing GR50+ as fast as some of the comments I see around here (thing like 3-5min). If I get a good map I may finish it in 7 minutes, but that's it. It's even worse in GR60+, every single mob takes way too much time to die and I'm almost one shotted by everything.

I feel like I'm losing way too much time. I'm basically using this build:

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/69831-2-4-gr-75-80-cluster-marauder

So what is the consensus of the best DH build for solo GR (as high as possible)? I'm doing fine with the Marauder/Cluster Arrow one, but I'm not doing GR50+ as fast as some of the comments I see around here (thing like 3-5min). If I get a good map I may finish it in 7 minutes, but that's it. It's even worse in GR60+, every single mob takes way too much time to die and I'm almost one shotted by everything.

I feel like I'm losing way too much time. I'm basically using this build:

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/69831-2-4-gr-75-80-cluster-marauder

For speed, UE is a lot better. For high progress, Marauder seems to be slightly ahead, simply because it tends to be safer and has higher clear power once you setup for a while and have all your sentries on the same screen, which you end up doing at high GRs since stuff stops dying quickly.

Like at 60+ you're not going to get 5mins clear, at least not before high paragon and near perfect gear with gem cube enchants and stuff. But 50 is still fairly easy, UE can still kill stuff in one or two shots so it moves a lot faster since Multishot aoe is a lot larger than Cluster and you don't have to setup sentries.

So for farming definitely UE, for pushing, Marauder I think is a bit easier, but UE is still pretty solid(unless you get like leapers and shit).

No idea how Natalya does nowadays, might not have been buffed enough? It used to be top tier for pushing but not seeing anyone with it, then again people probably don't want to play Natalya anymore. And Shadow is like, ok, if you don't get the wrong mob types. It has way more bad mob types than other builds though, and if you get them you kinda have to skip the entire floor.

Syntsui

For speed, UE is a lot better. For high progress, Marauder seems to be slightly ahead, simply because it tends to be safer and has higher clear power once you setup for a while and have all your sentries on the same screen, which you end up doing at high GRs since stuff stops dying quickly.

Like at 60+ you're not going to get 5mins clear, at least not before high paragon and near perfect gear with gem cube enchants and stuff. But 50 is still fairly easy, UE can still kill stuff in one or two shots so it moves a lot faster since Multishot aoe is a lot larger than Cluster and you don't have to setup sentries.

So for farming definitely UE, for pushing, Marauder I think is a bit easier, but UE is still pretty solid(unless you get like leapers and shit).

No idea how Natalya does nowadays, might not have been buffed enough? It used to be top tier for pushing but not seeing anyone with it, then again people probably don't want to play Natalya anymore. And Shadow is like, ok, if you don't get the wrong mob types. It has way more bad mob types than other builds though, and if you get them you kinda have to skip the entire floor.

I think I have the complete UE set, or near complete. I will test it out later. Thanks!

I think I have the complete UE set, or near complete. I will test it out later. Thanks!

Note that you also need the right weapon/quiver, similar to other builds, specifically you want a Yang's Recurve bow and a Dead Man's Legacy quiver, as both massively improve Multishot. It's also quite important to have Discipline rolls on the chest, weapon and quiver. If you're already doing T10+ with Marauder, you'll have to wait until you have all the stuff ready otherwise it'll be quite the stepdown.

Syntsui

Note that you also need the right weapon/quiver, similar to other builds, specifically you want a Yang's Recurve bow and a Dead Man's Legacy quiver, as both massively improve Multishot. It's also quite important to have Discipline rolls on the chest, weapon and quiver. If you're already doing T10+ with Marauder, you'll have to wait until you have all the stuff ready otherwise it'll be quite the stepdown.

I have these equipments, I'm sure of it. I just don't know if the stats are optimal, but that can be fixed with a few rolls. I just want to improve my grind time, so I can have enough materials to do stuff.

This is the optimal build, right?

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/70036-2-4-unhallowed-essence-torment-x-speed-farm

Edit:

Or maybe this? It will be a bit tricky to get fire enchantments and good stats altogether.

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/69830-2-4-fastest-torment-10-build-ue-fire

Syntsui

There's not that many hackers nowadays, most of them are already level 10,00 so they won't harm you with overleveling. I played literally hundreds upon hundreds of coop since saturday and only found 2 guys with the EXP hack, I just quickly returned to the main screen and did more coop with other guys.

The real problem is the absurd lag you get sometimes.

Baliis

I have these equipments, I'm sure of it. I just don't know if the stats are optimal, but that can be fixed with a few rolls. I just want to improve my grind time, so I can have enough materials to do stuff.

http://www.diablofans.com/builds/70036-2-4-unhallowed-essence-torment-x-speed-farm

Edit:

Or maybe this? It will be a bit tricky to get fire enchantments and good stats altogether.

They're basically the same build, the first one just uses a movement passive over a damage passive. Which is better is probably just personal opinion.

Edit:

I use the cold multishot instead, it applies slow so both bane of the trapped and cull the weak proc right away, which generally puts the mob at low enough health that the quiver procs the 2nd hit and stuff dies instantly.

But yeah that's the basics of the build, you kinda stack as much speed as you can. You don't need everything, but you do need Focus and Restraint(otherwise not enough damage in TX), UE6(preferably equipped, although it's possible to use RoRG in the cube), Yang and Deadman.

For speed rifts you'll generally want boon of the hoarder at 25(or more)+Avarice Band in the cube to pick up everything without stopping+goldwrap(either in cube or equipped) so you can discard all other defenses. Wazechian bracers for speed on breakables(which multishot destroys constantly since the aoe is stupid), Tactical Advantage for even more speed, can even use Hot Pursuit, although I like Cull the Weak/Ambush/Single Out(for the RG).

Laughlin

If I love Destiny and Borderlands for the loot/co-op aspects I should probably pick this up right? My friends and I are thinking about giving it a shot.

Syntsui

If I love Destiny and Borderlands for the loot/co-op aspects I should probably pick this up right? My friends and I are thinking about giving it a shot.

I would say yes, but it's in another league as far as genre go, impossible to compare. Try the free trial of the PC version to see if it clicks first.

eek5

My fondest memory of D3 vanilla was making over $200 bucks from the auction house.

Oh man.. I put SO much time into the AH. Got all my upgrades from there. Didn't join 2 bil club but I came away with a lot of blizzbucks and cashed out some. I think I still have enough blizz bucks in the bank for when the next expac (if ever) comes out.

inky

My fondest memory of D3 vanilla was making over $200 bucks from the auction house.

I made like $500+ Early on it was the wild west. I remember putting my crappy Stormshield up for $40 and it insta sold. I bought a better one for like $30, then sold it again for twice that, LOL.

I was lucky I had a couple of good rings and a Natalya's set, which was in demand because the set bonus was OP (they nerfed it soon after). It was either the boots or the legs with good rolls that were in big demand iirc, and they insta sold at the highest price.

I cashed out to paypal and used that to pay for my Marvel Heroes addiction =S
1600 hours and counting

mercviper

Oh man vanilla memories? Let's see...

Getting oneshot by wasps in full defensive gear as a monk. Enough wasps everywhere that it was practically a bullet hell mini-game.

Tongue lasher damage was also insane.

MF gear swap macros for chests.

Arreat Crater was a chest run map.

Dashing Strike having animation lag making it one of the worst skills in the game since you effectively stun yourself.

Exorbitant repair costs if you didn't run the AH game for supplementary gold income.

Intentionally designing legendaries to be worse than rares no matter what.

Yeah it was a pretty bad game lol.

th3dude

I enjoyed Borderlands and I love Destiny.

If you're hungry for a game that is fast-paced, progressive, and loot-centric, pick it up now.

Unlike Destiny (hitting light level 320, which means nothing really), the grind is real in D3. You are constantly tweaking your build, rolling for new items and abilities, etc.

For a really long time you'll feel like you're making progress, unlike Destiny.

Nokterian

Oh man vanilla memories? Let's see...

Getting oneshot by wasps in full defensive gear as a monk. Enough wasps everywhere that it was practically a bullet hell mini-game.

Tongue lasher damage was also insane.

MF gear swap macros for chests.

Arreat Crater was a chest run map.

Dashing Strike having animation lag making it one of the worst skills in the game since you effectively stun yourself.

Exorbitant repair costs if you didn't run the AH game for supplementary gold income.

Intentionally designing legendaries to be worse than rares no matter what.

Yeah it was a pretty bad game lol.

1 Legendary a week...lmao. So many things that were wrong and said it before the AH was also a mistake for a loot based game.

It isn't the same line as borderlands or destiny..yes you have character development but the bread and butter of this game is Adventure Mode a mode you can do bounties,do Rifts (that is the replayability) it is random tiles,random monsters,random elites and random bosses. Also a lot of builds depend on gear but it is one of the best action rpg's on the market the combat is so damn awesome no other game comes close.

any idea for GR45 on barb with no set ?
was thinking of doing some kind of furious charge build with standoff and the CD reduction per enemy hit rune but I don't

inky

Oh man, I forgot about when they raised repair prices. They did that to combat the thing I was talking about earlier, where people would cheese the system beyond where they were geared to do with full glass canon DHs and obviously died a lot doing it.

Blizzard's reasoning was that dying would then "matter" and would make people settle for doing easier content instead of trying to rush past it. Except the reality was people were frustrated because they made no progress AND were losing money while not doing it because everyone was already stuck in Act II and it was all ilvl57 gear.

So your only options were re-rolling a ranged class that could get you to Act III, doing no progress and losing all your gold or going to the Auction House; obviously you needed money for the AH so your best bet was goblin farming (this was my lowest point in D3) or stacking gold find and doing super easy content, one thing bots were better at than you. With the bots doing that, then they nerfed vases and destructible objects so they wouldn't drop gold anymore.

2 nerfs that really pissed me off were 1. when they nerfed weapon/armor racks so that they rarely had an item in them 2. when they nerfed IAS

The only content I liked doing was Leoric Manor portal -> 3 prison floors -> killing the Butcher and it was pretty consistent for drops because it was relatively fast, had 2 bosses and tons of weapon/armor racks with always a guaranteed item were a good source for rares. But no, that was too much fun for Blizzard apparently.

1 legendary a week and that they were on average worse than rares except for a few ones like String of Ears or Stormshiled (which didn't drop in Act I or II anyway) was really the icing on the cake.

It really was one terrible idea after another, LOL.

inky

Anyways, as someone who had not played since the expansion launched, I'm having a ton of fun. They really nailed progressing, it feels so good now.

I've only played for a few days but every new day I've had new goals to look forward too and have been doing steady headway on them. Items and mechanics feel powerful and the game changes as you switch your gear. Doing rifts is also satisfying.

This is definitely a great game now.

Edit: oops sorry for the DP.

I guess that I would've not come back if I played more at launch, I did just a few levels and quit (when I could actually log on and not get error 34).

Top Bottom