• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Quick question (my first seasonal char ever, playing casually and strictly solo) - here is my understanding of the rough order of things in terms of progression:

* level to 70, level blacksmith / jeweler to max, etc (obviously),
* do rifts / bounties to change rares to legendaries, set difficulty so I can complete a run in about 10 minutes (perhaps even faster),
* do greater rifts to whatever level I can, get all legendary gems,
* basically, that's it, we arrived at endgame, alternate between rifts / bounties (speed clears) and greater rifts (same plus pushing level) to get all ancients / gear I want, and level legendary gems, while doing that also:

(a) farm RoRG,
(b) farm HF amulet,
(c) extract powers from subpar legendaries using Kanae's cube,
(d) complete seasonal chapters to get extra tab and other rewards.

Any comments / anything you'd add or reorder? It's been a heck of a lot of time since I did a char from scratch, so I am feeling a bit fuzzy. Strict solo is important.

Thanks in advance.

you get 6p by doing the season journey. That's the first priority pretty much. Don't bother farming RoRG unless you want another set that isn't automatically provided.

I fucking did it! Tier fucking 70 down.

THANK you dreams. Switching from conventions to Unity for myself and follower was the key to getting the survivability needed to do it. I finished at 15m 2secs on my first attempt and was fuming. Killed the boss literally 2 seconds too late. Tried again and got it.

cheers and grats bro!

eek5

6 pieces: Your damage is increased by 40% (up from 25%) for each enemy that is Ignited. Elites that are Ignited increase your damage by 2000% (up from 250%). You can only have one Elite damage bonus active at a time.

the set buffs look crazy lol

can't wait to see how broken some of this stuff is

Not a huge fan of them doing these though. They inevitably can't balance everything and a handful of sets will be great and the rest will be shit. Every time.

biaxident

I don't really like their mindset in just doubling a % to make a set viable or better. I do kinda like how they're proposing the rainment changes, adding support legendaries and having DS increase generator damage. That's a lot better than make DS do 100000000% damage.

But the sunwoko set on the other hand... Ugh lol. Let's just double everything and hope for the best. I still want to see sweeping wind cyclone be used, and that set could have done it. Wave of light should deal bonus damage based off how many stacks of sweeping wind you have, and still consume a stack. But then using wave of light, pillar of ancients for example summons a bunch of sweeping wind cyclones that deal the damage of that wave of light over 3 secs. So in fact you are doubling the damage but in a much cooler way. I'm more concerned about good gameplay than just pure numbers, but the sets still need to be viable and not 20 levels behind others.

the set buffs look crazy lol

can't wait to see how broken some of this stuff is

Not a huge fan of them doing these though. They inevitably can't balance everything and a handful of sets will be great and the rest will be shit. Every time.

Looks good to me. Glad I have my fully ancient firebirds set and a quality, new sparker ready for duty. If there's any build I know how to play, it's Sparker firebirds.

Dahbomb

I don't really like their mindset in just doubling a % to make a set viable or better. I do kinda like how they're proposing the rainment changes, adding support legendaries and having DS increase generator damage. That's a lot better than make DS do 100000000% damage.

But the sunwoko set on the other hand... Ugh lol. Let's just double everything and hope for the best. I still want to see sweeping wind cyclone be used, and that set could have done it. Wave of light should deal bonus damage based off how many stacks of sweeping wind you have, and still consume a stack. But then using wave of light, pillar of ancients for example summons a bunch of sweeping wind cyclones that deal the damage of that wave of light over 3 secs. So in fact you are doubling the damage but in a much cooler way. I'm more concerned about good gameplay than just pure numbers, but the sets still need to be viable and not 20 levels behind others.
"We didn't think the SWK set was meaty enough....

So we doubled it."

biaxident

it really does feel like this is their answer to making sets good. I guess it's the path of least resistance.

Yeah it's the easiest and laziest way to do it, but you can't really blame them as this doesn't make them any more money. They don't have a sub, no micro transactions, and the current game is so well received (cause it's so great compared to launch) they don't need to go the extra mile. But I wish they would. I would not complain about anything ever if they just added 10 stash tabs with a search function, I'll pay money for that.

Any major major changes will be for the expansion if that is what they are working on since we know they hiring for a Diablo universe game.

Yeah it's the easiest and laziest way to do it, but you can't really blame them as this doesn't make them any more money. They don't have a sub, no micro transactions, and the current game is so well received (cause it's so great compared to launch) they don't need to go the extra mile. But I wish they would. I would not complain about anything ever if they just added 10 stash tabs with a search function, I'll pay money for that.

Any major major changes will be for the expansion if that is what they are working on since we know they hiring for a Diablo universe game.

Agreed on all counts.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I call it leapfrogging. If they actually achieved balance every patch, more people would get bored by staying in their comfort zone, just playing their favourite build instead of trying the new stuff. All they have to do is change the flavour of the month by putting one or two builds on each class ahead of the rest. Forcing people to switch things up this way gets the best bang for their buck. Every so often, bring a previously popular build back into the spotlight for nostalgia points.

LoN helps. I just wish there were more chaotic effects instead of keeping things so tightly scripted - e.g. Buriza do Kyanon's effect which worked on other classes at one point during PTR.

biaxident

I call it leapfrogging. If they actually achieved balance every patch, more people would get bored by staying in their comfort zone, just playing their favourite build instead of trying the new stuff. All they have to do is change the flavour of the month by putting one or two builds on each class ahead of the rest. Forcing people to switch things up this way gets the best bang for their buck. Every so often, bring a previously popular build back into the spotlight for nostalgia points.

LoN helps. I just wish there were more chaotic effects instead of keeping things so tightly scripted - e.g. Buriza do Kyanon's effect which worked on other classes at one point during PTR.

Yea LoN helps but i'd also like to see them re-baseline skills so you don't need a 1300% dmg modifier like LoN to use certain skills on T10. Like the sweeping wind cyclones do 90% dmg...Which is just sad. Why can't it just scale with stacks so 90% per stack, or 50% per stack even, just something.

Baliis

Yea LoN helps but i'd also like to see them re-baseline skills so you don't need a 1300% dmg modifier like LoN to use certain skills on T10. Like the sweeping wind cyclones do 90% dmg...Which is just sad. Why can't it just scale with stacks so 90% per stack, or 50% per stack even, just something.

Because then it would be OP for leveling

Apparently balance sub 70 matters to like 1 person.

biaxident

You know I'd like an option through kanai's cube to switch legendary gems, like switch a level 70 stricken to a level 70 whatever else. Hate wanting to try a new spec and needing more gems just to realize to build needs a different gem.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
You know I'd like an option through kanai's cube to switch legendary gems, like switch a level 70 stricken to a level 70 whatever else. Hate wanting to try a new spec and needing more gems just to realize to build needs a different gem.

God forbid they remove any of the grinding in the game. What else would you do with your time?

biaxident

God forbid they remove any of the grinding in the game. What else would you do with your time?

actually play the spec I want to lol, I can't play this as much as I used to so when I can only log on and grind 50 levels of a gem and then log for the night i'm like ok that was fun. I know i'm just nitpicking, just thinking of other QoL stuff they can do.

Nah gem leveling is part of the TX+ grind. It really doesn't take especially long to level gems anyway. Especially in a group.

biaxident

Nah gem leveling is part of the TX+ grind. It really doesn't take especially long to level gems anyway. Especially in a group.

That might be part of it, I'm currently only playing hardcore and there are just no groups. I don't wanna group with idiots and there's so few pub games. Plus being able to pause on hardcore is nice for single player. The grind continues lol.

If that's all they're doing going forward is doubling dmg and increasing defense, then yeah I'm done with the game.

They've had problems with torment difficulty grind before you can do GR. They sort of bandaid fixed it (T6 bumped up to T10) and we're now back to that problem. They are making it so mobs just vaporize in TX vs dying a second on screen currently just to waste time. That shit ain't fun, just like trials, it feels so fucking unnecessary for artificial reasons.

I know they're hiring for some diablo game but who knows what that is, could be D2 remake, but all the ideas are going to be there now.

Cipherr

I finished my second GR55 on my seaonal DH yesterday literally 3 days after hitting 70 on the DH. I got to max level, joined TX regular rift public runs I wasnt NEARLY geared enough to contribute too and just tagged along shooting stuff, using wolf buffs on packs and Marked For Death while the high Para folks blew up the entire screen. Managed to get 2 full sets in 2 days. Cubed unity and finished Natalyas and the Marauders runs at GR55. I also finished the Archon set GR55 on my mage so I finished a 3rd conquest.

Only need a level 70 on hardcore to complete the full season Journey. Never thought I would even think about finishing all that. But step by step I couldnt help myself.
wow.png

Got my HC WD up to like 29 atm. Gonna finish leveling that and Ill probably be done outside of considering the Class Flag achievement for Mage.

biaxident

Wow I just RIP'd my monk, farming TX bounties like its nothing act 5 finally pops up and I need those mats the most...Malthael...hits like a truck. I still had my gold wrap cubed and boon in so thats probably what boned me, the swirling souls 1 shot proc'd cheat death then I dashed out of another one just to get hit again and died in 2 hits :(.

eek5

Wow I just RIP'd my monk, farming TX bounties like its nothing act 5 finally pops up and I need those mats the most...Malthael...hits like a truck. I still had my gold wrap cubed and boon in so thats probably what boned me, the swirling souls 1 shot proc'd cheat death then I dashed out of another one just to get hit again and died in 2 hits :(.

were u solo or split bounty?

biaxident

were u solo or split bounty?

I was solo, I got lulled into a sense of security cause I hadn't dipped below 70% on tx lately and was just face rolling everything. I got too careless, needed to probably change out the gem, an ability, and the cube for him. Oh well, I'm not even too mad about it, just forces me to play innas which I already have the full set just missing the cyclone shoulders.

Looks like quin lost his main hardcore monk earlier, lagged out and couldn't dashing strike then tried to pause and died while pausing lol. Really wish they could get rid of lag deaths, dying from lag is so rage inducing and is what prevents 90% of players of playing hardcore.

Cipherr

Annnnd just finished Guardian, the last season Journey requirements. Enjoyed that a bit. Just gonna fiddle around now until the end of the season. Not really interested in pushing to hard into just GRifts beyond GR70.

biaxident

I really like how they did the journey, it really forced me this season to hit the goals where in past season i'd burn out and stop weeks ago. Once I finished my journey i've just been doing hardcore, but with no more goals in the journey I just have to set my own goals so that kinda keeps me going.

Wolfie5

Recently hit lvl 70 on hardcore with my crusader. I never would have tried HC if it wasn't for the achievement to reach 70. Having said that, it's more fun than I thought. You need to set up a different strategy.

Can you do Years of War achievement with him or do you need a regular charachter? I already have done 4 sets in gr55 with DH on regular, so I need 2 more sets.

robochimp

Recently hit lvl 70 on hardcore with my crusader. I never would have tried HC if it wasn't for the achievement to reach 70. Having said that, it's more fun than I thought. You need to set up a different strategy.

Can you do Years of War achievement with him or do you need a regular charachter? I already have done 4 sets in gr55 with DH on regular, so I need 2 more sets.

HC has its own Years of War achievement, you'll need another regular character to finish.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I booted this up on PC for the first time in a long time, and I can't get the game to display my health bar over my player. I have it turned on in settings, and I've pressed 'D' to toggle it and still nothing.

Man I'm thinking about going for Paragon 1000 and I thought Paragon 1500 was a lot of fucking paragon levels.

Then I caught a stream of a guy hitting paragon 2558.

Gonna be honest: Just kinda gross, tbh. He had that look on his face like he was working (and tired of working), and I'd think grinding out 2500 paragon levels feels like a job. He and his group of 4 (all 2000+) were doing 100GRs like how we do GR60s in groups of 4.

Man I'm thinking about going for Paragon 1000 and I thought Paragon 1500 was a lot of fucking paragon levels.

Gonna be honest: Just kinda gross, tbh. He had that look on his face like he was working (and tired of working), and I'd think grinding out 2500 paragon levels feels like a job. He and his group of 4 (all 2000+) were doing 100GRs like how we do GR60s in groups of 4.

Yeah, I just don't understand why people do that to themselves. It's a fucking video game man. I've played with people who honestly seem like they're having zero fun. What's the point then? Go find a new hobby at that point. Try learning an instrument - even if you're not having fun, at least the skills you develop might help you get laid one day.

Baliis

Yeah, I just don't understand why people do that to themselves. It's a fucking video game man. I've played with people who honestly seem like they're having zero fun. What's the point then? Go find a new hobby at that point. Try learning an instrument - even if you're not having fun, at least the skills you develop might help you get laid one day.

If it's a full time streamer, it may be Diablo 3 or nothing if they can't find an audience that will follow them to other games. Happens to tons of people, they stream a game they hate because they don't get viewers on anything else.

Dahbomb

It's more shocking that people watch other people farm in Diablo.

I can understand new PTR testing, the initial season rush, the GR leaderboards pushing but the everyday robotic speed farming is a huge waste of time to spectate. It's not even like it was before when you would watch the stream hoping the streamer would come across a godlike item and have an orgasm.. nah by this time everyone has godlike items.

MrDaravon

I can understand new PTR testing, the initial season rush, the GR leaderboards pushing but the everyday robotic speed farming is a huge waste of time to spectate. It's not even like it was before when you would watch the stream hoping the streamer would come across a godlike item and have an orgasm.. nah by this time everyone has godlike items.

Agreed. When Modz was streaming (RIP) I'd often have him on but mostly as a background noise thing since I often liked his music choices and his voice/stories. I can't really imagine sitting there and actively watching someone play this game for the most part, and I love this game.

I don't know that people watch to watch others grind. For example I occasionally tune into streamers to observe their high GR techniques or to be entertained by an entertaining personality. I'm not sure how far along you are this season, but once you get about GR75 or so, technique is everything. if I can extract some tips and best practices by observing someone else's run who has done 3x as many runs as I have, I for sure will do so. I watch Moses (EU top 50 Wiz streamer) pretty regularly to better understand what kind of packs to skip in GRs and how to maintain aggro, as those were issues I mentioned having in the past. And it's on while I'm working so him playing and failing (with the occasional success) allows me to learn lessons I would have had to learn through trial and error during my limited gaming time. I watched mr. GR 2558 for about 10 minutes dryly going about his business and had seen enough.

So yea it's not about looking at items at all. I think you might misunderstand entirely why people watch these days. It's to be entertained, to learn, or to see if a streamer they like can clear their next solo GR goal.

Dahbomb

The learning aspect and the GR pushing aspect I understand, I already said so. I can also see the entertaining personality angle.

But a majority of D3 is played at farming levels, not pushing GRs or figuring out new techniques. So I am saying that I don't understand why people watch streamer play content that they faceroll through and that is 90% of what you do in D3.

The learning aspect and the GR pushing aspect I understand, I already said so. I can also see the entertaining personality angle.

But a majority of D3 is played at farming levels, not pushing GRs or figuring out new techniques. So I am saying that I don't understand why people watch streamer play content that they faceroll through and that is 90% of what you do in D3.
I think we sort of went over that? If the streamer is entertaining, engaging and answering questions, of course people will tune in. The game being played is often times irrelevant, so long as the streamer can entertain the viewers.

Also, it really depends on the streamer. People like Moses tend to do most of their mat farming off stream and focus on their solo or group runs while streaming. His stream is like 75-25 GR runs vs mat farming. Hell even people farming field dozens of questions about the gear they need to farm like said streamer does and related subjects.

If none of that makes sense to you I really don't know what to tell you. I guess you don't really need to understand in the first place, so it's not a big deal. People enjoy what they enjoy. I've certainly seen people enjoy watching less interesting things than D3 on Twitch. Try watching someone exploring in Elite Dangerous. lol

Cipherr

To be fair though I feel like when the streamers switch from pushing difficult high GRifts to just farming keystones or mats the view counts drop like a rock. That part is boring unless the streamer is a good entertainer.

eek5

I used to watch some d3 streams. Mostly only watched the dudes that were funny though and never in lieu of playing the game. It was usually in the background when I was farming myself.

I'm pretty sure Gabynator and his crew passed 3,000 Paragons at least a week ago lol

Wondering the same about Datmodz. Pretty sure I heard him on some other streamers voice chat... he was entertaining to listen to.

Ayumi

I think he just made a new D3 account and started over. Not sure though...

Non Season: Paragon 2747
Season 5: Paragon 3122

Yeah.. I don't think so. But I'm not surprised someone like him would get unbanned. Blizzard gets so much free attention from him, his streams and what not. Anyway, I'm not salty about it, just curious really.

Baliis

Non Season: Paragon 2747
Season 5: Paragon 3122

Yeah.. I don't think so. But I'm not surprised someone like him would get unbanned. Blizzard gets so much free attention from him, his streams and what not. Anyway, I'm not salty about it, just curious really.

He wasn't unbanned.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/gabynator-1903/hero/74227603 his current account

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Gabynator-1902/hero/63273596 his old account

His 2747 in non season is just his Paragon's from season 4 alone.

biaxident

Guess we're at the point of the season where a double bounty weekend would pop up like in the past but I know they've said they don't like affecting a season that much. But the thing is the player base drops by 80% after 2-3 weeks each season. Clan now has about 3 or 4 on at night. Hopefully they come out with ways to keep players, I'd even go for a temporary stash tab or 2 lol. I want to play a hc WD but really don't have room, ugh

Edit: megaton, legendary pots can be salvaged for forgotten souls! I have so many pots that I just vendor for the 500g or whatever lol.

Digging the patch notes, it's up on diablofans. 2 dashing strike weapons added, pain enhancer gem more than doubled. Nice stuff.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think i topped out at GR70 with my current delsere's arcane orbit gear and not doing the enchants on each item. still have to grind out 15 gems to at least level 50 to have enough for each slot.

i cant get an ancient compass rose to drop, its the last piece i need to be ancient.

Baliis

Lots of big buffs in that patch. Changes from additive to multiplicative are going to be really big in some builds.

Bounties
In the event that both Act III and Act IV bounties are complete, the bonus act will now always be turned in first

Very nice

The Merciless Witch
Removed her shields in both the Realm of Discord and Realm of Fright
Significantly increased her health in the Realm of Discord

Yesssss

Top Bottom