• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is probably a stupid question but:

I am playing as a Crusader, so I am supposed to equip items with strength. Sometime when I pick up a new weapon it has a higher damage rating, but lower strength than my current weapon. Which one of these is more important, and does a weapons damage rating only effect your primary attack?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I mean... that is the point? Rifts are just random dungeons with random enemy assortments, you kill a certain amount and then the rift guardian comes. That is all there is to it.

Ok because walking through 1 shotting most trash and sub 10 second elites I figured I be able to get rifts done faster than 12-20 minutes. I don't know how you can do these sub 10 minute runs because of how many you have to kill even with steed to speed up the walking group to group. thought I was missing something like only killing elite packs for something.

For the other poster I usually finish a rift unless it is that huge jail one just to much time.

I am playing as a Crusader, so I am supposed to equip items with strength. Sometime when I pick up a new weapon it has a higher damage rating, but lower strength than my current weapon. Which one of these is more important, and does a weapons damage rating only effect your primary attack?
Strength. It affects all of your skills. You will see % modifiers on skills based on weapon damage in tooltips. Be sure to note STR is also a modifier.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Go for critical damage.
Use Slash as Primary with Crush rune, and Laws of Valor with Critical rune.
Weapons that have enhanced critical damage are also of value; If the weapon has a socket enhance it with the green stones of the highest class.
Akarat's Champion with Prophet rune might also help you with surviving.

I have a critical chance of 99.5% and +75% damage already. I may not be using a fully optimised build but I am confident my passives are all solid. I'm not really a fan of shadows powers like smokescreen it's not the way I like to play.

Yellow numbers everywhere so I know I am hitting hard so I assume it's just a gear wall?

quest

Not Banned from OT

Strength is only a small part of it. It also depends other stats on the weapon more like damage range biggest factor, how many attacks per second and things like plus damage. Also make sure to always have a socket in the weapon it adds a lot of DPS.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Strength. It affects all of your skills. You will see % modifiers on skills based on weapon damage in tooltips. Be sure to note STR is also a modifier.

Ok thanks, so to be sure, the actual damage rating on your weapon (ie the 139-165 type number) only effects your primary attack and not for example my magic AOE attacks?

Strength is only a small part of it. It also depends other stats on the weapon more like damage range biggest factor, how many attacks per second and things like plus damage. Also make sure to always have a socket in the weapon it adds a lot of DPS.

Thanks as well, if I have a really good ruby would I be better served by putting it in a piece of armour for the strength boost or in a weapon for the damage boost?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I have a critical chance of 99.5% and +75% damage already. I may not be using a fully optimised build but I am confident my passives are all solid. I'm not really a fan of shadows powers like smokescreen it's not the way I like to play.

Yellow numbers everywhere so I know I am hitting hard so I assume it's just a gear wall?

You mean critical damage if not someone gave you hacked gear. Also more critical damage the better try 10 to 1 critical damage to critical chance. I have mid 40 critical change and 400 critical damage.

ZenaxPure

Ok because walking through 1 shotting most trash and sub 10 second elites I figured I be able to get rifts done faster than 12-20 minutes. I don't know how you can do these sub 10 minute runs because of how many you have to kill even with steed to speed up the walking group to group. thought I was missing something like only killing elite packs for something.

For the other poster I usually finish a rift unless it is that huge jail one just to much time.

Under 10 minutes typically requires playing a difficulty you probably shouldn't be playing on in the first place or getting really fucking good mob types and density. The thing about rifts is since it is all random (including the density) you can get some stinkers from time to time. I've had a few rifts where I only encountered like 6 mobs total on an entire floor.

But on the flip side, you can get floors that are just 90% skeletons and the summoner skeletons. When you encounter groups like that, it's not hard to just chain from pack to pack with absolutely no down time and rip through them.

It's a bit unbalanced right now because the progress bar is based on total number of kills which means a big bulky executioner gives the same completion as a tiny zombie. This is being changed in 2.1, but, density itself is still going to be an issue. It's pretty much the biggest annoyance with rifts.

Baliis

Finally hit 70 on my crusader and already tearing through Torment I at least, even got the sub 1 min kill on the Butcher which was cool. The double damage for the nephalem orb is such a great change. Was sad because I got two legendary rings in the last 40% of 69, but then my first leg at 70 was a fire SoJ, so good after the rage inducing 100 some rings it took me to get one on PC.

antitrop

Finally figured out a DH build that fits my playstyle and I'm just demolishing T2, now.

Hungering Arrow
Cluster Arrow
Sentry
Smoke Screen
Companion
Preparation

Works like a charm. Might switch Smoke Screen for Vault, though.

Just got my first legendary item at 13. It's a one handed sword named "Monster Hunter" pretty great stats on it too.
Games a lot better than it was when I played the PC version at launch. I'm having a blast so far, and snapping the Simpsons Marathon on the side is icing on the cake.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
You mean critical damage if not someone gave you hacked gear. Also more critical damage the better try 10 to 1 critical damage to critical chance. I have mid 40 critical change and 400 critical damage.

The only gear I have had from anyone is via the gifting system and it's presents. No hacked stuff at all that I know of. I have multiple pieces of gear with crit chance adding between 4.5% and 9.5%. Between that and the Sharpshooter passive I am Critting almost constantly.

Is this game fun to play hardcore on? years ago, in diablo 2's prime, I played hardcore all the time. I found it absolutely thrilling. More often than not, my characters met their demise because of my 56k modem dropping connection (yes, I played hardcore on dial up, seriously) and that's probably the main reason I eventually stopped playing.

I have mostly skipped diablo 3. I got it for some reason when it came out, mostly just on good memories of 2, but I didn't like the lack of choice/talents/stats in the character building and kinda stopped playing rather quickly. But I could be persuaded to try it now on PS4 (I like playing things on PS4).
Do it! Plus reaper of soul's patches and expansion that also came to pc, it's a new experience on consoles, no need to be online 100% of the time and no auction house so legendaries actually drop, i think you'll enjoy it quite a lot!

I really, really dislike how zones become re-fogged when you leave them. It should be an option to reset a zone in Story mode. Left my PS4 on and paused but because of the power save settings it turned off and now I need to trek through the same area again.

Haines

Banned
I really, really dislike how zones become re-fogged when you leave them. It should be an option to reset a zone in Story mode. Left my PS4 on and paused but because of the power save settings it turned off and now I need to trek through the same area again.

There's a reason they are fogged tho...

BokehKing

Banned
Ugh been trying all day to get the rainbow ingredient for the staff of herding and nothing. Be different if it was a dedicated dungeon but it's not. Fought izual and Diablo a bunch of times, no 'plans' dropped

Got the shin bone on the third try though

Dahbomb

I didn't like the lack of choice/talents/stats in the character building
Most of those issues are still in D3. The game has went from a mostly RPG type game to a full on action game where you can do whatever you want choice wise. It's really a matter of preference really, some people prefer that style of character building.

They added Paragon points which are sort of like Stat points in D2 only you can re-allocate them whenever you want. You can also change active/passive skills freely. The only sense of permanence on your character is the gear. Itemization has improved for D3 but it's still behind D2 IMO.

The combat is still ace though and it's still super fun thrashing huge sized mobs. Hardcore play is still fun in D3.

Kamina

Golden Boy

Does Crusader even offer such a thing? i didnt see anything like that.
Akartas Champion and Prophet Rune turn you into a juggernaut, which i found essential to survive on torment.

Been ignoring this game for a long time because of how bad Blizzards writing is and not enjoying the demo, but it seems like they've fixed a lot of gameplay issues so I'm ready to give it another chance.

Are there any good PC Deals out there on the base version?

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Does Crusader even offer such a thing? i didnt see anything like that.
Akartas Champion and Prophet Rune turn you into a juggernaut, which i found essential to survive on torment.

Well I am playing Demon Hunter. I can't speak to Crusader powers because I haven't played one but DH endgame builds i have seen all seem to be very hit and run. Slow, crit and leg it. Repeat.

Admodieus

Finally figured out a DH build that fits my playstyle and I'm just demolishing T2, now.

Hungering Arrow
Cluster Arrow
Sentry
Smoke Screen
Companion
Preparation

Works like a charm. Might switch Smoke Screen for Vault, though.

I've got a similar build, except Entangling Shot (with the rune for extra Hatred generation), Vault instead of Smoke Screen, and Vengeance instead of Preparation. Vengeance gets triggered when I come across an elite pack, champion, or boss.

antitrop

Haha, just fought an Elite mob that was Waller and Vortex. Every time he would wall me in, he would then Vortex me to him and out of the wall, so I could roll away.

Nice.

Kyoufu

So has anyone seen the TLOU rift yet?

It's not a special rift. It's just Clickers, Bloaters and Runner enemies in any randomly generated rift.

But yeah, it's awesome. Clickers especially. The Bloaters use their poison spore attack thingy which does a lot of damage if you stand in it lol.

Guys I need some help. I'm very interested in trying this game out but I've never played a Diablo game. In fact reading this thread is like reading a different language to me. I like rpgs and jrpgs and don't mind grinding if the gameplay is fun. Do you guys think I will like this game. How is the story told and is it engaging. I love a good story in my games. Thanks!

Kyoufu

Guys I need some help. I'm very interested in trying this game out but I've never played a Diablo game. In fact reading this thread is like reading a different language to me. I like rpgs and jrpgs and don't mind grinding if the gameplay is fun. Do you guys think I will like this game. How is the story told and is it engaging. I love a good story in my games. Thanks!

Diablo 3 has a garbage story. You don't buy Diablo for story. You buy it for loot!

SDCowboy

Diablo has a story, but it's not really the focus of the game. The amazing gameplay and addicting loot grind and post-70 leveling is the main focus.

If you're an RPG fan you should get it. The gameplay is addictive as fuck. The music is good. The presentation is top notch. Story is solid if you're willing to actually follow it lol. Diablo always had a nice lore. But it serves more as a backdrop.

romulus91

so the general consensus is that monk is not that great?

I havent played much but is he just less fun to play, underpowered, not diverse ????

im confused

Diablo 3 has a garbage story. You don't buy Diablo for story. You buy it for loot!

I could live with a subpar story or a game having a story as a means to further the gameplay along. But the gameplay has to be fun enough to carry it all the way through. Is there a demo I can try?

Wallach

Diablo 3 has pretty terrible writing and should not be purchased for the story. It will hurt you.

This game is about killing hordes of things, making them explode and sending their corpses rocketing across the screen in different directions while finding tons of magic items that mess with how your character plays. The fundamental, overall response to hitting a button in this game is among the best ever. It's the majority of my satisfaction with this game as a whole, even over finding awesome loot.

The changes to the Massacre system exposed this for me clearly; there is sometimes an element of annoyance when I see a Legendary drop while I am crushing some area with a 200+ chain. But then it gets washed a way sometimes by getting some item that allows me to kick ass even harder. And thus it continues.

Top Bottom