• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

I'll mention that to her, but she's pretty pleased with the lightning chains she's been creating lately. I was actually hoping to find her a Wyrdward and a Thundergod's Fury. lol

I'm going to start playing this co-op with my girlfriend who has never played anything like this before. Any recommendations for a starting class for her?

I'd say melee, so barbarian, monk, or crusader.

She can start by pusing towards and X, and learn from there. :)

Edit: That's what I did with my GF; worked well. You should go ranged, natch.

I have to disagree about going ranged, but agree with serversurfer's inital advice: barb, monk and crusader are the easiest for a true noob.

Oh, I was assuming Poimandres to be somewhat experienced, and figured they didn't need two tanks in their duo.

Yeah, I haven't actually played much Diablo but I have been gaming for...ever so I think I could go for a ranged character. Who do you guys think is the most fun ranged character?

This is my first Diablo since D1 on the PS1, but I jumped in to wiz and I'm enjoying it a lot, with barbie tanking. I also played about 20 levels as WD with her as monk, and that was pretty fun too. We don't get to play a lot, so we pretty much just grind our mains. lol

Oh, and as you go through her gear, explain why you pick the gear you do, why you junked that one even though it has the stat you just told her she wants, etc. Then she can learn how to start choosing her own gear and skills. :)

maomaoIYP

Yeah, I haven't actually played much Diablo but I have been gaming for...ever so I think I could go for a ranged character. Who do you guys think is the most fun ranged character?

I'm partial to the wizard because I like shooting all manner of lasers and balls of death.
Wiz >>> DH > WD for me. I'm not a fan of hanging around to wait for your poison and minions to work their magic (even if it's easier).

Oh, and as you go through her gear, explain why you pick the gear you do, why you junked that one even though it has the stat you just told her she wants, etc. Then she can learn how to start choosing her own gear and skills. :)

It took her a little while to wrap her head around comparing stats in Borderlands, but that should have layed some of the foundations here!

I'm partial to the wizard because I like shooting all manner of lasers and balls of death.
Wiz >>> DH > WD for me. I'm not a fan of hanging around to wait for your poison and minions to work their magic (even if it's easier).

Hmmm lasers and balls of death does sound pretty sweet. I think I'll go Wizard.

Yeah, wizard is pretty sweet. I'm running a Disintegrate/Temporal flux build I realty like a lot. I made a giant post about it a while back, but I've tweaked it some since then.

Good luck!!

Anyone have an extra Golden Gorget of Leoric or Ouroboros for my Crusader?

No luck farming this past week for an Amulet at all. I have some a couple Akkhan's pieces (shoulders, boots and I believe pants) to trade back along with a good amount of random Legendary drops as well.

I sent you some spare rings, did they help? Don't have either of those amulets though.

My endgame witch doctor hardly waits around, but I'll give you that pre-endgame there is much more standing and waiting.

Just got a tall mans finger tonight! my huge dog now crits for 35 million+!

Also just one jade set piece away from being able to use the set bonus. Really I need two more pieces as I don't want to give up my mask of jerum

maomaoIYP

My endgame witch doctor hardly waits around, but I'll give you that pre-endgame there is much more standing and waiting.

Just got a tall mans finger tonight! my huge dog now crits for 35 million+!

Also just one jade set piece away from being able to use the set bonus. Really I need two more pieces as I don't want to give up my mask of jerum

I have a lvl 70 WD but all she does is use her minions, haunt, and that spell (swarm? can't remember the name) which spreads to other enemies. I can never tell if her spells have run out already and need a recast. Share your build?
With a wiz I always feel like I'm actively shooting something awesome and colorful (not just shades of puke) from my finger tips, so it leaves a more satisfying taste in my mouth.

Pretty much using the cookie cutter pet build right now with fetish psychophants, piranhado, plague of toads - rain of toads

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12673849826

It works very well, at the moment each of my fetishes will dish out 5million+ with crits and I can summon 15 of them or so. I focus on critical damage, attack speed, and Heath regen. I am basically a meat shield with so much life regen (thanks to rain of toads) that armor is not really that much of a requirement if you have decent elemental resistances

Also, the damage just from rain of toads is nothing to scoff at but the fetishes do most of the damage

I started with a wizard but pretty much maxed out in torment 4. I can easily solo torment 4 now with the WD and I still have A LOT room for improvement

Also, my wiz was a disentigrate/black hole build. The WD build uses a very similar play style, with the added benefit of pets!

maomaoIYP

Pretty much using the cookie cutter pet build right now with fetish psychophants, piranhado, plague of toads - rain of toads

It works very well, at the moment each of my fetishes will dish out 5million+ with crits and I can summon 15 of them or so. I focus on critical damage, attack speed, and Heath regen. I am basically a meat shield with so much life regen (thanks to rain of toads) that armor is not really that much of a requirement if you have decent elemental resistances

Also, the damage just from rain of toads is nothing to scoff at but the fetishes do most of the damage

I started with a wizard but pretty much maxed out in torment 4. I can easily solo torment 4 now with the WD and I still have A LOT room for improvement

Looks good, I like cookiecutter builds that don't require like a whole bag of legendaries to accomplish. Will get it up when I get home later and take it for a spin. Thanks!

Laconic

Banned
I'll mention that to her, but she's pretty pleased with the lightning chains she's been creating lately. I was actually hoping to find her a Wyrdward and a Thundergod's Fury. lol

If you two are on PS4, then hit up gankedemstyle.

I have at least two spare Str TGods and Wyrds that I haven't scrapped as yet.

That said, do try and transition her off of Lit, and to Cold or Fire.

Cold is the best mitigation/CC in the game, IMO.

h3ro

I sent you some spare rings, did they help? Don't have either of those amulets though.
Thank you so much! I haven't been able to play since that post because of work but I'm sure they'll be a substantial upgrade! Much appreciated bud.
Cindercoat sent :) Sorry for the delay

Yea i've got an extra Ouroboros with +17% physical skill damage, + 10% chance to crit and + 640 to STR. Want it?
Got the Golden Gorget as well but i'm undecided if i'll need it for future use.

Yes please! Will shoot you a friend request/PM.

turnbuckle

Thank You Dog$ and Krayzie!

Did a few more bounties last night and finally got my first legendary from a horadric cache!

but...

It was a Demon Hunter Cloak. And a terrible one at that! wtf...I'm a Crusader. This game hates me sometimes lol.

Question about +Damage stat -

I got a weapon yesterday that had pretty good stats but it also had attack speed. Since it already rolled a socket and strength I was torn between re-rolling the damage on it or rolling on attack speed hoping for another affix.

When I enchanted it, the first thing I got was +7% damage. I thought that'd be pretty decent. But when I applied it, the damage on the weapon itself didn't change a bit.

What does the +damage (non-elemental) stat mean then for a weapon? Say I had 10% damage on a weapon and I did an attack that would normally do 100 points of damage. Would the 10% damage apply after and result in me hitting for 110 points instead?

+% Damage affixes always kind of confused me with this game and even moreso now than in the vanilla days.

If you two are on PS4, then hit up gankedemstyle.

I have at least two spare Str TGods and Wyrds that I haven't scrapped as yet.
Will do, and thanks!! <3

That said, do try and transition her off of Lit, and to Cold or Fire.

Cold is the best mitigation/CC in the game, IMO.
Yeah, I mentioned it to her last night, and she's gonna start stashing fire and cold gear. As it stands, she doesn't have any of the MotE pieces yet anyway, so we're mostly at the mercy of RNG. lol

We're both big fans of debuffs though, so hopefully we can find some good cold gear for her.

Thank You Dog$ and Krayzie!

Did a few more bounties last night and finally got my first legendary from a horadric cache!

but...

It was a Demon Hunter Cloak. And a terrible one at that! wtf...I'm a Crusader. This game hates me sometimes lol.

Question about +Damage stat -

I got a weapon yesterday that had pretty good stats but it also had attack speed. Since it already rolled a socket and strength I was torn between re-rolling the damage on it or rolling on attack speed hoping for another affix.

When I enchanted it, the first thing I got was +7% damage. I thought that'd be pretty decent. But when I applied it, the damage on the weapon itself didn't change a bit.

What does the +damage (non-elemental) stat mean then for a weapon? Say I had 10% damage on a weapon and I did an attack that would normally do 100 points of damage. Would the 10% damage apply after and result in me hitting for 110 points instead?

+% Damage affixes always kind of confused me with this game and even moreso now than in the vanilla days.
So, you took off attack speed and replaced it with 7% damage, and the DPS didn't change? How much attack speed did you take off? 7%, perhaps?

I don't think attack speed modifies the damage stat that shows on a weapon, but I'll check when I get back home.
Pretty sure it does. Like, if you have a dagger and roll 5% IAS, it'll list the AS as 1.47 instead of 1.40 at the bottom of the description, and the DPS next to the dagger icon will change accordingly.

Edit: It doesn't reflect bonuses from other sources; only bonuses rolled on the weapon itself.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Changes in either IAS or +% damage on a weapon will change the sheet damage value that is shown for the item.

Last I checked, +% damage does work as previously described, and basically the same as a +% elemental damage increase. Base is 100, applying +6% damage yields 106 damage. The game's method of computing sheet DPS means that IAS is usually shown more favorably than +% damage. I'm surprised to hear a report that a change from one of those to the other did not significantly alter the sheet DPS value. It's entirely possible, but when I was bouncing between IAS and +% damage on a Thunderfury (for a recent first hand example) I could see the values change each time.

From the sounds of it in light of the responses I received the last time this subject came up, it seems like focusing on IAS over +% damage is generally the safer bet, but I think it's still correct to say that it isn't universally the case and certain skills still don't utilize IAS to its apparent full potential.

New002

Also, my wiz was a disentigrate/black hole build. The WD build uses a very similar play style, with the added benefit of pets!

I also run a cookie cutter pet build in HC and really enjoy it. In my quest for a MoJ from Kadala I ended up with a Grin Reaper so I swapped out my Garg for Acid Bomb. Still trying to gamble for a Tasked and Theo. Did end up with Jade gloves from gambling though.

stn

What's the highest block percentage you can get for a crusader with the right shield and enhancement? There's one power that refills 1600 life every time you block, seems really amazing if you could get at least a 30-50% block chance.

EDIT: Also, looking for people to play with on the 360. Anyone interested? I don't want to post my GT publicly so just PM me or quote me! I have a mic and would love to chat and play.

Syrus

Banned
Can anyone tell me a decent hardcore barbarian build? I play with my son and he uses WD and does a pet build pretty much

dog$

Hates quality gaming
What's the highest block percentage you can get for a crusader with the right shield and enhancement? There's one power that refills 1600 life every time you block, seems really amazing if you could get at least a 30-50% block chance.
Don't forget about Justice Lantern (ring) and Helm of Rule (hat). There's also the vanilla Blackguard, but I doubt anyone has those anymore.

One of my dummy Crusaders has a 71% block chance (group of 4 with 3 Crusaders, not sure if there's any passives active which affect that number when I looked). I really want to get a pair of those Act 5 Cache shields for them and see how effective they are.

turnbuckle

Changes in either IAS or +% damage on a weapon will change the sheet damage value that is shown for the item.

Last I checked, +% damage does work as previously described, and basically the same as a +% elemental damage increase. Base is 100, applying +6% damage yields 106 damage. The game's method of computing sheet DPS means that IAS is usually shown more favorably than +% damage. I'm surprised to hear a report that a change from one of those to the other did not significantly alter the sheet DPS value. It's entirely possible, but when I was bouncing between IAS and +% damage on a Thunderfury (for a recent first hand example) I could see the values change each time.

From the sounds of it in light of the responses I received the last time this subject came up, it seems like focusing on IAS over +% damage is generally the safer bet, but I think it's still correct to say that it isn't universally the case and certain skills still don't utilize IAS to its apparent full potential.

Hmm...It was pretty late when I checked it last night. Next time I get a chance I'll re-enchant the weapon and see what happens. Whenever I'm using a 2-handed weapon as a melee class I tend to favor damage over attack speed but I'm willing to experiment.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Any basic high-end Monk tips? I'm sort of capable of running T5 but feel very squishy. :p

Also, need opinions, using a lightning build and for weapons I'm currently using a Fulminator + TF but I have a Shard of Hate as well. Fulminator or SoH?

iby20gALECaqv6.jpg

iJtB0NiqaNMVe.jpg

Excuse the potato shots, couldn't be arsed uploading two screencaps to FB then rip them from there.

Smidget

At level 61 playing co-op with my brother through the regular game still lol we're not good marathon players, but it's nice to have some challenge with Torment level 1 now!

Anyways, had a question once we get to the endgame portion: Is there anything other than the loss of durability that penalizes the player in rifts/etc.? I just wish there was something between Hardcore mode and what it currently has with 10% durability being lost.

Thanks!

Helscream

Banned
So I am getting pretty damn ticked with RNG lately. If anyone by chance has a badass Stone of Jordan that is STR Based with Lightning/Fire/Cold elemental damage. I have alot other STR based gear for trade. Also have Kulle-Aid potions as well. My PSN is Helscream (PS4)

ZenaxPure

Any basic high-end Monk tips? I'm sort of capable of running T5 but feel very squishy. :p

Also, need opinions, using a lightning build and for weapons I'm currently using a Fulminator + TF but I have a Shard of Hate as well. Fulminator or SoH?

Your only real options for T6 Monk until next patch is Jawbreaker + Raiment set or zDPS support if your in a group (or if you somehow have a Furnace, Frostburn, and a Rimeheart you can roll with zDPS solo with a shatter palm build).

As for your current situation, Fulminator is a terrible weapon, don't use it. The proc doesn't actually do anything to your current target meaning it's pointless in single target situations, and the damage is pretty low anyway. Shard of Hate on the other hand procs constantly and will usually hit everything in front of you. If you want lightning proc weapons honestly SoH and Odyn are the way to go, but, SoH and TF are best until then.

Raptor

I put the game down for a while, but I have an urge to start a new character. I haven't played a Barbarian yet, and I'm really tempted.

Barbarian is sick, one of the funiest characters to play, they send flying enemies in blood and body pieces, their abilities are really fun too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Your only real options for T6 Monk until next patch is Jawbreaker + Raiment set or zDPS support if your in a group (or if you somehow have a Furnace, Frostburn, and a Rimeheart you can roll with zDPS solo with a shatter palm build).

As for your current situation, Fulminator is a terrible weapon, don't use it. The proc doesn't actually do anything to your current target meaning it's pointless in single target situations, and the damage is pretty low anyway. Shard of Hate on the other hand procs constantly and will usually hit everything in front of you. If you want lightning proc weapons honestly SoH and Odyn are the way to go, but, SoH and TF are best until then.
Thanks!

HORRORSHØW

So I am getting pretty damn ticked with RNG lately. If anyone by chance has a badass Stone of Jordan that is STR Based with Lightning/Fire/Cold elemental damage. I have alot other STR based gear for trade. Also have Kulle-Aid potions as well. My PSN is Helscream (PS4)
i sent you two from my crusader's stash. one is an unrolled strength one with a worthless +wrath affix. the other, some gaffer sent me. he rolled holy% on it which you can reroll. none are "trifectas" tho so i'm not sure if they're an upgrade from what you have. at the least you'll have 2 forbidden souls.

I put the game down for a while, but I have an urge to start a new character. I haven't played a Barbarian yet, and I'm really tempted.
do it. i have no idea what i'm doing and i'm critting for nearly 200m lol.

Byfo_K2CMAAFgDt.jpg:large

dorkkaos

Just got D3 on the PS4 and started my crusader. WOW it feels so different from the PC version... Idk why, but it feels better haha. But man, I feel like captain america while playing my crusader. I love the shield toss lol.

v0mitg0d

I'm lev 45 paragon running T2 and feel kinda stuck. I'd like to progress but I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking fir in my gear. I just swap anything that boosts damage but I'm sure that's wrong. Is there a particular element I should go for (+fire)?

How do I get to T6? Is grouping the only real option?

Grimløck;131813126 said:
do it. i have no idea what i'm doing and i'm critting for nearly 200m lol.

Oh man, sounds like fun. Is it feasible to just start a new character on Master in Adventure mode? I'm soooo sick of story mode at this point.

Top Bottom