• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Raptor

Grimløck;136338946 said:
cleared 35 with wand of whoa. viable. nice change of pace from firebird.

I will start my hunt for some items like Velvet camaral and Myken's Ball of Hate so I can really become a sith lord :)

ZenaxPure

Grimløck;136338946 said:
cleared 35 with wand of whoa. viable. nice change of pace from firebird.

What kind of build were you running? I finally got my first Woh a few days ago and I just went firebird/Woh since it seemed like the best option lol. I kind of want to try a different element but im not sure how it could be as strong.

HORRORSHØW

What kind of build were you running? I finally got my first Woh a few days ago and I just went firebird/Woh since it seemed like the best option lol. I kind of want to try a different element but im not sure how it could be as strong.
yeah, that's what i basically did, a combination of woh and firebirds. i doubt a mix of elements would be as strong as pure fire, mainly because of the set bonus. i just tried to prioritize CDR; i was at 55%CDR.

skills:
explosive blast: chain reaction
magic weapon: force weapon
energy armor: prismatic armor
black hole: event horizon
teleport: safe passage
frost nova: cold snap

with high enough CDR you should be able to chain frost nova and black hole, providing nice CC. otherwise keep moving with hexing pants and tag mobs with firebirds dot. for gems i used bane of the trapped, taeguk (with high CDR you should be able to maintain max stacks), and the third gem i was changing between mirinae, toxin, gogok, and powerful. gogok won't stack. mirinae was underwhelming. toxin and powerful are okay. of course it doesn't come close to the usual apoc/hydra build but if you want to run something different and still be viable, i think this is okay.

ZenaxPure

Grimløck;136344268 said:
yeah, that's what i basically did, a combination of woh and firebirds. i doubt a mix of elements would be as strong as pure fire, mainly because of the set bonus. i just tried to prioritize CDR; i was at 55%CDR.

Ah yeah, I did literally the exact same thing except I am using Mirror Image instead of Teleport with the Bone Chill rune on nova (since images get your runes as well). It's honestly the most fun I've had with Wizard since vanilla CM days (hand pain aside). Obviously not as strong as the cookie butter Firebird build but it plays entirely different and is still really powerful so I'm cool with that. I spend a lot of time with builds that aren't the cookie cutter top end stuff anyway just for fun.

HORRORSHØW

Ah yeah, I did literally the exact same thing except I am using Mirror Image instead of Teleport with the Bone Chill rune on nova (since images get your runes as well). It's honestly the most fun I've had with Wizard since vanilla CM days (hand pain aside). Obviously not as strong as the cookie butter Firebird build but it plays entirely different and is still really powerful so I'm cool with that. I spend a lot of time with builds that aren't the cookie cutter top end stuff anyway just for fun.
bone chill > frost nova for sure now that i got a chance to try it out. the extra damage is great and the cooldown is negligible. one of the problems with this build are the rift bosses. if you get voracity, the poisonous one, it's GG. i'm just gambling amulets now hoping to get a mara's kaleidoscope.

ZenaxPure

Grimløck;136375723 said:
bone chill > frost nova for sure now that i got a chance to try it out. the extra damage is great and the cooldown is negligible. one of the problems with this build are the rift bosses. if you get voracity, the poisonous one, it's GG. i'm just gambling amulets now hoping to get a mara's kaleidoscope.

Yeah, it runs into a lot of the problems melee builds run into on guardians (which I guess to be fair it is basically a melee build). My least favorite is actually Blighter. Even on T6 with double unity his melee attack almost one shots me. I was playing the build in a group a few hours ago and he actually did legit one shot me with his normal melee attack anytime I got too close. Basically had to freeze him, get some blasts in, and then run out until he was frozen again. I guess on the plus side since you have firebird you can still do sizable damage even when you have to back off for a bit.

turnbuckle

Any crusaders have a +Physical Damage stone of Jordan they'd be willing to trade for a +Lightning Damage one?

PM me if so. I think my SOJ has 29% damage to elites, but I don't use lightning damage :(

madp0k

I think I may have persuaded some mates to get this as I was getting bored of Destiny

I didn't explain the loot gods or RnG

Frying Pan + Fire

:(
I don't feel bad they'll bloody love it

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I finally got my first Woh a few days ago and I just went firebird/Woh since it seemed like the best option lol. I kind of want to try a different element but im not sure how it could be as strong.
For my Fire Wiz I'm doing WOW with Firebird as well as opting to use the Focus and Restraint set. I've wanted to have a character to justify the use of those rings in some fashion, and I believe this may be it.

Buffs, EB, BH, and Liquefy Meteor. Everything has some cooldown, but thanks to WOW you are rarely not actually spitting an EB out at least. It's pretty difficult to spam attacks quickly enough to cast something at less than full AP. Meteors crit for 150M+ and EB crits are 30M+. This is without any Legendary Gems. Despite that, it might be the lead character I have in terms of raw damage output.

dralla

Any crusaders have a +Physical Damage stone of Jordan they'd be willing to trade for a +Lightning Damage one?

PM me if so. I think my SOJ has 29% damage to elites, but I don't use lightning damage :(

Why do you taunt me? I can't find a SoJ, let alone one with lightning damage :(

A quick question for you D3 veterans.

I'm picking this game up this weekend and I was wondering how difficult the game is when starting on Expert difficulty. Is it a frustrating challenge or a good challenge?

joeblow

Haha, it's kinda funny how drops work sometime. One player can't find a specific desired item for the world while other players get 'em without issue.

I have about three or four Stone of Jordans but still haven't seen a Furnace or RGift. I barely got my first Unity a few days ago, so patience is the key I guess.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I want to thank Pons, Spatenfloot, and the other fellow who popped in who I don't believe is on my friend list earlier tonight (If you're reading this please add me; Splitdog79). I had a great time and together we made a complete joke of T3.

I'm sorry I had to kill my mic and my TV volume when my kids came by, they wanted to tell me about what was going on in their lives so we were catching up a bit before I got them ready for bed.

Anyways, thanks again everyone. I had a really good time!

HORRORSHØW

I'm kinda wondering if follower equipment is of any importance ?

Should I just forget about them ?

aside from a unity ring and an immortal relic on your follower, you want items that provide CC for you such as azurewrath, thunderfury+wyrdward ring, shield of deflection, ess of johan, dovu energy trap. they're going to be doing crap damage so might as well make them useful for something.

I want to thank Pons, Spatenfloot, and the other fellow who popped in who I don't believe is on my friend list earlier tonight (If you're reading this please add me; Splitdog79). I had a great time and together we made a complete joke of T3.

I'm sorry I had to kill my mic and my TV volume when my kids came by, they wanted to tell me about what was going on in their lives so we were catching up a bit before I got them ready for bed.

Anyways, thanks again everyone. I had a really good time!
No problem. It was fun.

Horseticuffs

I got a Pandemonium Loop just now. Pretty nice stats for my Doc but my primary interest is in its effect. "Enemies slain while feared will die in a bloody explosion and cause other enemies to flee in fear". If I pair this with Horrify and the rune that increases the area of effect will the ring count mobs effected by my "Fear" via my skill as it does those effected by my attack due to wearing the ring?

Further, is Fear even something I should bother with?

I got a Pandemonium Loop just now. Pretty nice stats for my Doc but my primary interest is in its effect. "Enemies slain while feared will die in a bloody explosion and cause other enemies to flee in fear". If I pair this with Horrify and the rune that increases the area of effect will the ring count mobs effected by my "Fear" via my skill as it does those effected by my attack due to wearing the ring?

Further, is Fear even something I should bother with?
I found a thread where some WDs were saying Horrify won't proc the Loop, but I'm wondering if the standard Horrify effect isn't really a Fear effect, but more of an Immobilize. You might try running it with the Phobia rune, which seems to create a standard Fear effect. Hit them with Phobia, kill them while they're still running, and see if they explode.

The Old Ruins in Act 1 is a good place for experimenting; zombies are nice and slow. Just waypoint in during adventure mode.

Horseticuffs

I found a thread where some WDs were saying Horrify won't proc the Loop, but I'm wondering if the standard Horrify effect isn't really a Fear effect, but more of an Immobilize. You might try running it with the Phobia rune, which seems to create a standard Fear effect. Hit them with Phobia, kill them while they're still running, and see if they explode.

The Old Ruins in Act 1 is a good place for experimenting; zombies are nice and slow. Just waypoint in during adventure mode.
Awesome advice, thanks!

I love how complicated the battle system is in this game.

Pons

Neo Member
Just my personal opinion but I hella hate spells or items that fear, in diablo 3 or other games usually. All it does is increase my time to kill while I have to track mobs down lol

Number45

I'll never forget my early experiences with fear as a WoW priest. As a get out of jail card, it functioned much more effectively as an "oh fuck now everybody is after me! D:" card.

I'm kinda wondering if follower equipment is of any importance ?

Should I just forget about them ?

incredibly important.

I use to have the enchantress as my follower as i like her chicken hex - i then was running T4/5 so i use the templar as he can heal you and it's pretty important that he can do that.

Whenever you are getting rid of one of your own weapons then just give it to them.

I also got the invulnerability token for my follower...but it was for the damn scoundrel, not the templar. If you use that with unity rings for both of you, you will get a 50% damage reduction i believe.

ZenaxPure

Well for what it's worth only 1 of the horrify runes actually fears now anyway. The rest of them just lock the enemy into place unable to move, which is really OP.

turnbuckle

Just my personal opinion but I hella hate spells or items that fear, in diablo 3 or other games usually. All it does is increase my time to kill while I have to track mobs down lol

Amen. Reason #1 why I hated echoing fury back when I was rolling a Sprint/WW Barb in vanilla D3

Horseticuffs

Due to good advice I've received I sacrificed some Toughness for DPS and can now reliably solo T3 without issue except for like chapter bosses. I also took heed of a post from here earlier today and set my Templar as my follower. I didn't remember he had so many heals, and that REALLY increased my survivability as well.

As far as my WD build I replaced Big Bad Voodoo the other day since the cooldown, even with a nice reduction, was too long and it doesn't even follow you around. That's the skill I was working on replacing when I was trying out Horrify.

I think I've settled on Hex, though, with the rune that turns the mobs into Pigs so they take additional damage. It seems like a good skill to take key mobs out of the fight for a bit and the cooldown is short enough that you can almost constantly keep it up (Like a 15 sec. cooldown with a 12 sec. uptime!).

Even yesterday I was dying at nearly every group in T3 but these changes have REALLY helped a ton. I'm gonna get that damned RoRG one of these days!

turnbuckle

I had a baleful remnant drop yesterday that had a pretty good damage roll (1480-1740ish), a socket, vitality, and increased wrath. I rolled off the socket (putting a gift on it after) and I was surprised by something.

When I enchanted it with 1000 strength, my DPS went up by roughly 200k.
When I enchanted it with 7% damage, my DPS only went up by maybe 50-60K

I would have thought the +% Damage to be a better affix but it looks pretty clear that the 1000+ strength will work better...not to mention the added armor bonus from that strength.

Loving this stampede build.

Had a strength unity drop for me last night too :)

Raptor

Due to good advice I've received I sacrificed some Toughness for DPS and can now reliably solo T3 without issue except for like chapter bosses. I also took heed of a post from here earlier today and set my Templar as my follower. I didn't remember he had so many heals, and that REALLY increased my survivability as well.

As far as my WD build I replaced Big Bad Voodoo the other day since the cooldown, even with a nice reduction, was too long and it doesn't even follow you around. That's the skill I was working on replacing when I was trying out Horrify.

I think I've settled on Hex, though, with the rune that turns the mobs into Pigs so they take additional damage. It seems like a good skill to take key mobs out of the fight for a bit and the cooldown is short enough that you can almost constantly keep it up (Like a 15 sec. cooldown with a 12 sec. uptime!).

Even yesterday I was dying at nearly every group in T3 but these changes have REALLY helped a ton. I'm gonna get that damned RoRG one of these days!

I only use it for bosses or for when things get pretty hectic, damage goes up really good.

I have a question, how do I know the bane of the trapped gem is proccing?

With MIranae yuo can see the ray of light, with taeguk there is an icon showing is proccing, same with Gogok, but with Trapped one I cant see it.

ZenaxPure

I have a question, how do I know the bane of the trapped gem is proccing?

With MIranae yuo can see the ray of light, with taeguk there is an icon showing is proccing, same with Gogok, but with Trapped one I cant see it.

The rank 25 effect? It puts the generic "slow" effect below enemy models (it looks like pulsing blue lines). If you mean the increased damage part, your damage numbers will obviously be higher than if you don't have it equipped, but, really anytime the enemy is under a control impairing effect (slows, stuns, fears, etc.) it is working.

Top Bottom