• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

jaaz

I have to say, the graphics and sound on the PS4 version are amazing. It looks as good if not better than it did on my PC when I played it last year. The frame rate is steady, only dipping once when I cancelled a town portal animation for some reason.

Great job Blizzard. I primarily bought this to hold me over until Desiny, but I can now see myself playing this game alongside Destiny for some time to come.

Took a chance and downloaded the game overnight. In my little time with the game I can tell I'll enjoy it.

Currently a level 5 Witch Doctor chucking jars of spiders at enemies and sending forth a swarm of fiery bats. I picked up a few clubs and swords but I can't figure out how to swing them?

Ah well, back to hurling spiders!

As a WD, weapons are basically "stat sticks". You don't swing them. You only use skills.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So I have a theory here. In a nutshell - Metzen is blizzard's very own George Lucas.

Back in the days of Starcraft/D2/WC2 Metzen was not as high up in the company as he is now. He had people to bounce ideas off of. People to tell him no, that plot idea is stupid, youre an idiot for coming up with it etc. and we got the fun stuff back then. But he continued to rise and rise in the company to the point theres no one around (willing) to tell him no about any of his ideas... and we get stuck with the shitty ass writing in Starcraft 2/D3/The latest wow expansions.

I think the low-level writing, such as the dialogue between the companions or even the small-quest writing like the above mentioned dead wife joke, is generally pretty fantastic. Its the high level stuff, the main plot and writing, that is so hilariously shitty. The gulf in quality means something weird is going on there at any rate.

Metzen has been on many-a-fan's hitlist for ages now. He's been cited as being the decline of the writing in Blizzard games for years across all major projects.

Still, I am fearful of installing D2 or WC2/3 again for fear that the writing doesn't quite hold up as well as our memories recall. We are wiser and more mature, and the landscape has drastically changed in the medium in terms of quality, that I kind of expect things weren't so different in the 90's as they are now.

Night Elve

Neo Member
My R1 trigger is really bad now it sticks all the time. I might go out and get another one today. I guess better issues with launch controllers than the console.
You don't need to buy a new controller, just spray a little bit of WD-40 into the R1 Trigger and you will be ready to go!

That's what I did to my DS4 a couple of months ago.

JHM

Couldn't resist, so I triple dipped, got it for PS4. Didn't have much time to play last night, but graphics are quite big step up from my Mac. Looking forward to play more tonight.

Kubiubo

Look! More hidden footprints!

The quote that ruined my life.

Still, I am fearful of installing D2 or WC2/3 again for fear that the writing doesn't quite hold up as well as our memories recall. We are wiser and more mature, and the landscape has drastically changed in the medium in terms of quality, that I kind of expect things weren't so different in the 90's as they are now.

I don't know, I don't think the writing in Diablo 2 was nearly as corny. Akara had some beautifully delivered dialogue. It's difficult to compare Diablo II and Diablo III. Diablo II was distinctly a Blizzard North type of game, the company culture of North was different than Blizzard. I'd say it's a combination of shifting writers and an overall different feel in the development room that contributed to Diablo III having such... interesting... dialogue.

Bought it today and will be starting it when the kids have gone to bed. Never played Diablo, and know little about it, but the comments in this thread encouraged me to get it for Xbox One.

For a complete Noob like me, what's the best piece of advice when starting?

X-Frame

What is the most efficient way to level up multiple characters? Should I take my first character to 70, and then start another character? When trying to find D3 guides I thought I read that paragon levels after 70 can contribute to a new character with accelerated leveling? I am probably wrong.

I just know that a game like this I'm going to eventually want to try out most, if not all of the classes.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Metzen has been on many-a-fan's hitlist for ages now. He's been cited as being the decline of the writing in Blizzard games for years across all major projects.

WC2 was always hokey (mostly due to the voice acting) but it didnt have the level of story that say Starcraft did. I can say Starcraft aged well enough writing wise, though WC3 shows the beginnings of the end as it were (imo). Haven't played through D2 in ages so I cant say (though I kind of want to give it and 1 a shot after playing through D3 again this year)

moojito

Rolled up a crusader, started a game on hard difficulty after recently breezing through normal on a wizard on my PC.

At level 4 or something I saw my first loot gnome and it got away despite me constantly spamming shield bash/slash. Feels bad, man.

Also I don't know if hard is a big step up on the console or the crusader is relatively weak at low levels, but I'm finding hard much more tricky.

cakely

Just for the record the difference between the way DIII:UEE and the original DIII release are being received here is absolutely night and day.

Offline play, the total absence of an auction house and all the tweaks and rebalances that went into version 2.0 have made a serious difference, and I'm happy to see it reflected in the comments here on GAF.

BFIB

Rolled up a crusader, started a game on hard difficulty after recently breezing through normal on a wizard on my PC.

At level 4 or something I saw my first loot gnome and it got away despite me constantly spamming shield bash/slash. Feels bad, man.

Also I don't know if hard is a big step up on the console or the crusader is relatively weak at low levels, but I'm finding hard much more tricky.

I'm playing on hard as well, Crusader class. I agree, had to really plan my battles and use dodgeroll quite a bit early on. After about level 12, you start getting a lot more rares that quickly beef up your stats. Getting Cormac helps too once you select his heal ability.

ZenaxPure

What is the most efficient way to level up multiple characters? Should I take my first character to 70, and then start another character? When trying to find D3 guides I thought I read that paragon levels after 70 can contribute to a new character with accelerated leveling? I am probably wrong.

I just know that a game like this I'm going to eventually want to try out most, if not all of the classes.

No that is pretty accurate.

The absolute most effective way to level up another character is by creating a torment 6 game and then having your max level friends come in and kill shit for you. But if you're doing it alone it's best to wait until 70 and you have some paragon levels under your belt. Paragon level 200 and your new characters will have crazy damage resist for a while (due to maxing out all resist and putting a bunch of points into a primary stat). Get a hellfire ring and then level reduced gear (for when they hit level 40) and you can level another character to max in just a few hours on your own in adventure mode. The higher your paragon level the faster it will be to level up other characters.

I only leveled one new character in RoS (a second barbarian) and it took me around 4 hours, completely on my own. Adventure mode + high paragon level + hellfire ring + level reduced gear make it easy to stay mostly in torment difficulties where you get crazy xp.

quickwhips

Can we have a moment of silence for my 51 witch doctor who died after 13 hours alive on hardcore mode? She will be missed as I start a new character again :(

Navy Bean

I transferred a level 16 DH and was getting stomped in Act 2 on Hard lol. They must have nerfed some stuff because I had to go Normal for 10-12 levels just to survive. But, the new loot started flowing and now I'm tearing through Evil. I think it's easier to start a new character because of loot 2.0.

Plenty of lore and story involved, but as mentioned the delivery is on par with being a goofy saturday morning cartoon than what the events unfolding would actually dictate. Just expect damn near everyone yelling exposition at each other with their fists. Get into the spirit, and its mindless and provides the bare minimum justification needed to maintain engagement between plot points. It's easy to feel very embarrassed for yourself watching it all unfold though. Lots of horrible cackles and cliche hand-wringing dialogue from each chapter's villain.

Blizzard has handled this stuff better in the past, or maybe we were all the appropriate age back then to experience it...

Hmmm.. I'll be lying if I said I wasn't desperate enough not to buy this. I need something to hold me over until Shadow of Modor comes out so that can hold me over till the RPG's start hitting.
The gameplay looks solid but I'm surprised about what you said about the story and how it was written. This would be my first Blizzard game but one thing I got from their fan base over the years before this game is that they had their story/lore down to a science. I think you sold me a copy of this. I'll look into it a little more before I decide. Thanks for the response.

jester_

Wife and I playing on PS4 right now, GAF game would be cool! Already posted in friends list topic.

PSN: jester_dev

EDIT: We are both level 23 crusaders.

X-Frame

No that is pretty accurate.

The absolute most effective way to level up another character is by creating a torment 6 game and then having your max level friends come in and kill shit for you. But if you're doing it alone it's best to wait until 70 and you have some paragon levels under your belt. Paragon level 200 and your new characters will have crazy damage resist for a while (due to maxing out all resist and putting a bunch of points into a primary stat). Get a hellfire ring and then level reduced gear (for when they hit level 40) and you can level another character to max in just a few hours on your own in adventure mode. The higher your paragon level the faster it will be to level up other characters.

I only leveled one new character in RoS (a second barbarian) and it took me around 4 hours, completely on my own. Adventure mode + high paragon level + hellfire ring + level reduced gear make it easy to stay mostly in torment difficulties where you get crazy xp.

Wow, thank you. I bookmarked your post and I'll refer to it down the road.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I'm confused. Do I need to 2 PS+ memberships to play local coop with two people online? I have PS+ but no one else in my family has a PSN or PS+ account. I'm on PS4.

diggler41

Completely forgot about this game coming out yesterday. Went out last night to my local Gamestop and they were sold out of PS4 copies. Said they got 12 PS4, 4 PS3, 4 XBONE and 4 360. All gone or being held for preorders. Was pissed. So I went about 18 miles away to the next GS and they had 1 copy. Game must be selling pretty decently. Haven't played a Diablo since the PS1 version. Got in a few hours last night and loved it. Can't wait for my son to pass out later so I can jump in again. lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What did you get from me btw? Was it good?
I got a Level 30 Squire's Gardbrace shoulder piece. It's pretty decent, but not as good as the one I have!

PS: Does anyone know what it means when an item has what appears to be a little red potion jar in the upper right corner of its description?

Taz

For solo open up adventure mode and search for solo powerlelvel guide on the interwebs, it involves doing three quests on torment 6 were you don't have to kill anything and it takes a few hour per level 70, I used it on PC version and it's very easy to do.

I got a Level 30 Squire's Gardbrace shoulder piece. It's pretty decent, but not as good as the one I have!

PS: Does anyone know what it means when an item has what appears to be a little red potion jar in the upper right corner of its description?

It means the item is dyed that color.

Yeah, I killed two Nemesis yesterday. The sound they make the the way they look is pretty fucking cool. I don't remember who they came from though. I melted them pretty quickly.

Honome

Can we have a moment of silence for my 51 witch doctor who died after 13 hours alive on hardcore mode? She will be missed as I start a new character again :(

Man, that should have been really tuff... :(

What difficulty were you playing?

I though about playing on hardcore mode but i yellowed :p

Really, I think if you are able to, everyone should play with a full party of 4 people. The XP/gold bonuses are VERY much worth it, not to mention it makes killing huge amounts of monsters very efficient.

Top Bottom