• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
And is it me, or is the story and dialogue ridiculous? Deckard Cain seems like a caricature version of himself.

I need to revisit Diablo 2 to see if it was this silly.

Diablo 2 was cliche but decently written.

Diablo 3 is even more cliche and is embarrassingly badly written. I have no idea how Blizzard could let this kind of crap out, especially given their history of curating their lore.

Also, the main enemy in Act 1 is a clown. A CLOWN.

Liberty4all

Banned
I want to play team healer/buffer + Support Mage. I know Diablo III doesn't have a healer class per say. Is Monk the closest I'm going to get to healer/support?

I was hoping for more of a mage/healer/support hybrid. Any other mage class I can build that way?

quest

Not Banned from OT
This game sure is easy on Expert. Still in Act 1 though.
It's fun, but the lack of difficulty makes it seem so mashy. And is it me, or is the story and dialogue ridiculous? Deckard Cain seems like a caricature version of himself.

It ramps up a ton on torment. I can cake walk on master but on torment I have to throw everything and the kitchen sink to kill elites/packs.

On a side note i am at my favorite part of the game where you are getting multiple upgrades a day. Everything including rares can be an upgrade. Also thanks to rares having cool effect like +skill damage I can junk based on arrows any more. So when I get back to town after bags full it is like x-mass. Excuse me for being little giddy my last 40 paragon levels on the console only got a handful of upgrades over 5 months.

jaaz

I love playing the male Wizard, but damn his dialogue is cringe-worthy. He sounds and looks like a self-absorbed Loki. If I hear "I amaze even myself" one more time I'm going to hurl.

Is the dialogue the same for other characters? Haven't played anything but a Wizard yet in D3.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I want to play team healer/buffer + Support Mage. I know Diablo III doesn't have a healer class per say. Is Monk the closest I'm going to get to healer/support?

I was hoping for more of a mage/healer/support hybrid. Any other mage class I can build that way?

You can build a crowd control and monster debuff wizard if you like. Healing for others is basically a monk only thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Can someone tell me what the item is to upgrade the blacksmith/jeweller past level 10 and where I get it?

I think it is just being level 70 and gold. I don't remember picking up anything to upgrade him past 10. I guess could be tombs I had in my stash.

cakely

I love playing the male Wizard, but damn his dialogue is cringe-worthy. He sounds and looks like a self-absorbed Loki. If I hear "I amaze even myself" one more time I'm going to hurl.

Is the dialogue the same for other characters? Haven't played anything but a Wizard yet in D3.

Every class and sex combination gets its own dialog. They're all pretty bad. :)

Diablo 2 was cliche but decently written.

Diablo 3 is even more cliche and is embarrassingly badly written. I have no idea how Blizzard could let this kind of crap out, especially given their history of curating their lore.

Also, the main enemy in Act 1 is a clown. A CLOWN.

Diablo 2 was made by the now defunct Blizzard North, I don't think many of those people are there anymore.

Kubiubo

Personally, I absolutely hate the fonts in D3.

They are not stylized in the least, and make the whole UI feel like a cheap MMO patcher window.

This was the first thing I noticed. Even adding a serif font would help. Personally, Exocet is a difficult font for me to read, but it'd be fine in menus.

Handy Fake

Just got it done so she'll be ready to go tonight.

We already played together on PC for vanilla D3, but she hasn't played since 2 months after that release. I think she's in for a treat with all the changes.

Champion.

Give her a stupid screenname under her Profile.

It would please me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Never played any Diablo game, can someone answer a couple of questions?

I've watch a Japanese stream on my PS4 of this game and it looks cool enough to hold me over.

Is there a Story/Lore that I can lose myself into with this game? (This is important to me because I love a good Lore/Story, one of my favorite things to do in Elder Scrolls V was read about past wars and history books.)

Also can I beat the ever loving crap out of this game as a magic user? ( not familiar with job classes and I hate shield and swords characters)

Plenty of lore and story involved, but as mentioned the delivery is on par with being a goofy saturday morning cartoon than what the events unfolding would actually dictate. Just expect damn near everyone yelling exposition at each other with their fists. Get into the spirit, and its mindless and provides the bare minimum justification needed to maintain engagement between plot points. It's easy to feel very embarrassed for yourself watching it all unfold though. Lots of horrible cackles and cliche hand-wringing dialogue from each chapter's villain.

Blizzard has handled this stuff better in the past, or maybe we were all the appropriate age back then to experience it...

Bacon

Got into the game last night. Played a wizard until about level 8 but felt incredibly squishy, and basically had to kite enemies around until I could kill them. I ended up stopping for a few hours and then made a crusader and immediately had a much better time. I'm sure the Wizard gets a lot better later on, and i'll probably return to that character, but I just had a much better time with the Crusader. So excited to get home from work and play this game all night.

JPS Kai

Can anyone recommend a good ps4 headset? Last night was first time using the original garbage. I'm willing to spend 50ish.

Tigerdirect has been doing a summer clearance this past week. The Gold's were $89.99 with a $50 rebate but they've been fluctuating in and out of stock HERE.

I've heard that Pulse Elites are being clearanced out at Walmarts for ~$60 but haven't seen them personally to confirm.

Got into the game last night. Played a wizard until about level 8 but felt incredibly squishy, and basically had to kite enemies around until I could kill them. I ended up stopping for a few hours and then made a crusader and immediately had a much better time. I'm sure the Wizard gets a lot better later on, and i'll probably return to that character, but I just had a much better time with the Crusader. So excited to get home from work and play this game all night.

I love Wizard, but the Crusader class is a straight up boss.

bidguy

Banned
Ugh, started crusader, but it isn't clicking with me, but now I can't decide between monk or witch doctor.

id suggest waiting until youre a bit higher like brickwalker suggested

i felt the same as you at the early levels but now at 44 im having a blast

Plenty of lore and story involved, but as mentioned the delivery is on par with being a goofy saturday morning cartoon than what the events unfolding would actually dictate. Just expect damn near everyone yelling exposition at each other with their fists. Get into the spirit, and its mindless and provides the bare minimum justification needed to maintain engagement between plot points. It's easy to feel very embarrassed for yourself watching it all unfold though. Lots of horrible cackles and cliche hand-wringing dialogue from each chapter's villain.

Blizzard has handled this stuff better in the past, or maybe we were all the appropriate age back then to experience it...

"MY WIFE IS POSSESSED! HELP ME KILL HER. OH, NOW SHE IS DEAD! THIS IS SAD. WHERE IS THAT FOOL SERVANT OF MINE, I MUST SEE IF HE'S SLACKING OFF..."

Imagine all of that shouted at you, and that's pretty much verbatim of the level of story and character we're talking about here.

Orca

Intended to start and play my Wizard only a little last night and wound up level 16. Died a couple times to trash mobs while in the kitchen or bathroom, does that mean there's a trash nemesis wandering around now?

Respect

Might just have to power through then with the crusader. I just hit 19 yesterday, I can certainly see the potential. I think I had an idea to be a 2h crusader and that just doesn't look too good in seeing how powerful their sword and board talents are, especially with heavenly strength.

"MY WIFE IS POSSESSED! HELP ME KILL HER. OH, NOW SHE IS DEAD! THIS IS SAD. WHERE IS THAT FOOL SERVANT OF MINE, I MUST SEE IF HE'S SLACKING OFF...".

This made me laugh...I didn't really notice it last night because I was too busy thinking about loot and talents....completely went over my head until I read it here.

antitrop

"MY WIFE IS POSSESSED! HELP ME KILL HER. OH, NOW SHE IS DEAD! THIS IS SAD. WHERE IS THAT FOOL SERVANT OF MINE, I MUST SEE IF HE'S SLACKING OFF..."

Imagine all of that shouted at you, and that's pretty much verbatim of the level of story and character we're talking about here.
There is a farmer who has the skeleton of his wife sitting in a rocking chair in Act 1 that has some amusing dialogue.

cakely

Can anyone recommend a good ps4 headset? Last night was first time using the original garbage. I'm willing to spend 50ish.

If you just want it for party chat, I recommend picking up a cheap 2.5mm female to 3.5mm male 3-ring jack adaptor. Then you can plug an Xbox 360 XBL headset right into your DualShock 4.

First time playing D3 (I played D2 back in the day) and I'm super overwhelmed.

I can tell the menus were very carefully crafted, but it's really hard for me to get the hang of so far. (I was super stoned last night though, so for all I know it's all simple and intuitive today when I get home.)

I'm really liking the gameplay though. Playing as a DH. I like a lot of the little touches they've added, like when you pick up gear it will show the quick stats for them at the bottom left.

One thing I don't like though is that the fov seems really zoomed in, and my character feels like he's leveling waaaaaay too fast. I know there are paragon levels and what not but it's a little worrisome so far.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Still in Act 1 though.
It's fun, but the lack of difficulty makes it seem so mashy. And is it me, or is the story and dialogue ridiculous? Deckard Cain seems like a caricature version of himself.

So I have a theory here. In a nutshell - Metzen is blizzard's very own George Lucas.

Back in the days of Starcraft/D2/WC2 Metzen was not as high up in the company as he is now. He had people to bounce ideas off of. People to tell him no, that plot idea is stupid, youre an idiot for coming up with it etc. and we got the fun stuff back then. But he continued to rise and rise in the company to the point theres no one around (willing) to tell him no about any of his ideas... and we get stuck with the shitty ass writing in Starcraft 2/D3/The latest wow expansions.

I think the low-level writing, such as the dialogue between the companions or even the small-quest writing like the above mentioned dead wife joke, is generally pretty fantastic. Its the high level stuff, the main plot and writing, that is so hilariously shitty. The gulf in quality means something weird is going on there at any rate.

Preordered this on Future Shop a long time ago and still have to wait until tomorrow... I think I will go all digital in the future. Fuck This shit.

Diablo newbie here, can anyone tell me how to equip runes?

Can't seem to put them on my level 10 crusader.
are they level dependent?
I can put abilities anywhere, but when I'm on the rune screen I can't seem to choose them.

JPS Kai

I can put abilities anywhere, but when I'm on the rune screen I can't seem to choose them.

Skill runes? Yeah, you unlock them every few levels. I thought you could hover over the skill to see when they unlock.

step 1: turn on elective mode

step 2: earn the runes you want by leveling up

Took a chance and downloaded the game overnight. In my little time with the game I can tell I'll enjoy it.

Currently a level 5 Witch Doctor chucking jars of spiders at enemies and sending forth a swarm of fiery bats. I picked up a few clubs and swords but I can't figure out how to swing them?

Ah well, back to hurling spiders!

Top Bottom