• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

Kiyo

So now that you guys have had some time with it, worth it if I already got the PC ver.? I'm interested mainly because it looks like it would control much better with a controller and thus more fun, on top of all the extras.

If you're on PS4/XB1 then I'd say yea. I've got hundreds of hours in the PC version but still having tons of fun with this one.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For the Barbarian is there any consensus on whether it's better to use two weapons or wa weapon and a shield? I'm playing on hard and not losing much health, so I'm thinking the DPS benefits for two weapons would be better.

Also what should Barbarians use for weapons? Just any sword, club, etc?

Atkison04

Freeze Ray stays good for a long time

I am level 30 and still using it. Its cheap, does good damage and slows enemies down. Combos great with Time Stop and Hydra.

Thanks for the input man! The freeze ray certainly seems to be the best spell that I have access to for my lowly level 7. I'll keep on eye on the other 2 spells that you mentioned. Happy hunting!

X-Frame

I'm not going to be able to finish this by Destiny, I wish they would have released it a month earlier.

Me too, but hey having a bunch of fun games to play in the long term never hurts. I'm sure I'll be swapping back and forth between this, Destiny, and Dragon Age for the next 6 months.

baconcow

I must say I am so impressed at how well this runs. Playing expert, with my wife (Diablo anything first-time for her), on almost the entire first run and at the beginning of Act V, now. I have not noticed any slowdown, aside from a tiny loading period at a few of the events. My low-mid PC did not handle vanilla D3 anywhere near this well. The monster density is higher than I ever remember with vanilla D3. Expert feels around the difficulty of Nightmare (vanilla D3). I usually only die when not focusing on my health or when I get carried away button mashing on what initially seemed like a light encounter, and few encounters prove much difficulty. Overall, loving the Crusader; started out week, but now I am able to tank quite a bit and deal out deal out significant damage. For those curious, I finished Act IV at level 57. My wife and I have been going to all the extra random areas we come across. From someone who ended up hating D3 from Act II+ Inferno, I am loving my experience in this game.

So now that you guys have had some time with it, worth it if I already got the PC ver.? I'm interested mainly because it looks like it would control much better with a controller and thus more fun, on top of all the extras.

Controller setup is fantastic

Feels great, dodge roll is super useful

Its very fast and Fluid.

gruenel

Got my WD to level 70 (12) in just a little over 2 days now. Leveling is really fast with hard/expert difficulty and the constant 2-3x xp bonuses from massacres. Also did a few rifts which were giving ridiculous amounts of paragon XP.

Looking forward to leveling my Crusader tonight.

I'm definitely going for that lvl 70 with each class trophy, it's just so much fun.

jred2k

My first time playing a Diablo game and I am loving it on PS4. I've got a quick question, though. Does the game eventually lead you to explore all areas, or is it up to the player to wander and discover the areas off the beaten path? I've been making sure to uncover all of the map before I proceed with a quest, but I'm just wondering if this is a wasted effort and I'd be led back there eventually anyways. Going I spent a fair bit of time last night running around Weeping Hollow trying to find all of the dungeons and crypts.

lantus

Played for a good few hours yesterday with my WD on Hard. At the beginning, when my dps was low, things were somewhat challenging, now level 26 and I'm just slaughtering everything. Moved the difficulty up to Expert, and outside of the elite enemies, still romping through it all. :/

My first time playing a Diablo game and I am loving it on PS4. I've got a quick question, though. Does the game eventually lead you to explore all areas, or is it up to the player to wander and discover the areas off the beaten path? I've been making sure to uncover all of the map before I proceed with a quest, but I'm just wondering if this is a wasted effort and I'd be led back there eventually anyways. Going I spent a fair bit of time last night running around Weeping Hollow trying to find all of the dungeons and crypts.

Its kind of a conundrum

There is little to no map backtracking required normally and the incentives to uncover the whole map dwindle a bit the further you get in the game

This is because you end up being able to get some of your go to best gear just from the Smith and Bosses.

The best motivation for completing a map is hunting down all the epic enemy groups that are hidden all over.

baconcow

Controller setup is fantastic

Feels great, dodge roll is super useful

Its very fast and Fluid.

I want to echo this. Dodge roll might not make your character move faster, overall. However, it allows you to avoid some damage in critical times. It might just be me, but I feel that dodge rolling away from ice bombs is a good way to avoid being frozen. I was very skeptical about controller use, and it far exceeds playing the game with a mouse and keyboard.

exploring is not a necessity, but highly encouraged- you clear out an entire area:you have better chances for loot and you level up along the way. there are even a few secret areas/events and the they appear at random- I explore everywhere

gotta be on the lookout for that treasure goblin

-or PACK of six!
goblin-pack1.jpg

So we don't have to play thru the game four times to get to level 60 like on the PS3 and 360 version from last year?

about to hit 70 with a character and I am beginning act V

been playing on expert with 3 other friends though....

one time through is alot easier than 4 for each character

Expert seems relatively easy so far

I mean... I know my way around a Diablo game and all.

I cant imagine how easy the game must seem on normal.

I swear the controls feel different on ps4 compared to ps3.

I'm having the hardest time targeting a specific mob/controlling the direction of my character. Never had a problem with it during the 100+ hours last Gen.

Who knows, maybe it will come back to me.

jred2k

Its kind of a conundrum

There is little to no map backtracking required normally and the incentives to uncover the whole map dwindle a bit the further you get in the game

This is because you end up being able to get some of your go to best gear just from the Smith and Bosses.

The best motivation for completing a map is hunting down all the epic enemy groups that are hidden all over.

exploring is not a necessity, but highly encouraged- you clear out an entire area:you have better chances for loot and you level up along the way. there are even a few secret areas/events and the they appear at random- I explore everywhere

-or PACK of six!
goblin-pack1.jpg

Thanks for the replies. That's pretty much what I had assumed. I love just stumbling across a legendary enemy and taking them out. And the random little areas with a bunch of objects to break and get a speed boost.

Admodieus

Mid-40s now and really loving the feel of using the Demon Hunter with a controller. Just hit Act 5 last night, still rocking expert. Found three legendary set plans as well (Born's, Cain's, Captain Crimson's).

Really like how you can just use the legendary plans you find anywhere - you don't necessarily have to bring them to the blacksmith/jeweler/mystic.

Garryk

How do you talk with your active follower? Do you have to dismiss him and then talk in the hub or is there a way to start the dialogue like in the PC version?

Blakynt

Banned
oh no.....i can't buy this game for the 4th time!!......but i want to use the remote play on my Vita sooooooo baaaaaad....heelp...

gruenel

Resisting buying this at full price is getting really difficult.

IMO, not buying this game right now should be considered a crime. ;)

oh no.....i can't buy this game for the 4th time!!......but i want to use the remote play on my Vita sooooooo baaaaaad....heelp...

Remote Play is awesome... spent 3 hours with it yesterday. Some people say the text is too small, but personally I don't have a problem reading everything.

Maybe I should put up some Remote Play screenshots today so people can judge for themselves.

f@luS

More than a member.
Can i enjoy this game ?

U have maybe 1h per day max to give. Too many unfinished game. Ans mostly none If my friends are playing it. And then ... Destiny soon

Can i play online with Random ?

How do you talk with your active follower? Do you have to dismiss him and then talk in the hub or is there a way to start the dialogue like in the PC version?

I think dismissing them is only way unfortunately-

Can i enjoy this game ?

U have maybe 1h per day max to give. Too many unfinished game. Ans mostly none If my friends are playing it. And then ... Destiny soon

yes by all means you can play as much or as little as you want- incredibly intuitive- you can drop in and out of random games-or play solo-all on the fly-

ttocs

Can i enjoy this game ?

I play solo and love it. But, with Destiny around the corner, I doubt I'll be playing this much then. But I'll get a couple good weeks out of it.

Stormus

Already dumped about ~300 hours into the PC version. Really tempted to get this again, but I might just hold off until they release the ladder. I've never experience this game with the dual shock and I know it would be more enjoyable. But the fact I can have something on my other monitor while grinding dungeons still appeals to me. AHHHH

On launch day I stayed home from work, imported my 60 Wiz and powered through act 5. The next day I did a ton of bounties and crafted a good pair of +fire Reaper Wraps. Last night I spent most of my blood shards but got a Magefist and a Mirrorball. I immediately switched to a conflagrate build, switched the difficulty to torment 1 and proceeded to tear everything apart! It was the most fun I've had with a game in a long time!

Respect

I'm not going to be able to finish this by Destiny, I wish they would have released it a month earlier.

Off topic but it bothers the hell out of me, the subtitle should be "Loot has never looked this good!"

I know the feeling...as soon as the date was revealed, my first thought was that it is too close to Destiny. Oh well, will make for decent change of pace for my Destiny binge sessions.

Getting numerous legendaries in the mail from those on your friends list is quite nice, it is like Christmas everytime I log on.

Nemesis system is nice too, only had it happen twice and my wife died both times so he despawned. I think she gets too excited and forgets to kite/heal.

gruenel

Already dumped about ~300 hours into the PC version. Really tempted to get this again, but I might just hold off until they release the ladder. I've never experience this game with the dual shock and I know it would be more enjoyable. But the fact I can have something on my other monitor while grinding dungeons still appeals to me. AHHHH

Ladder won't be patched into the console versions.

LCGeek

formerly sane

-or PACK of six!
goblin-pack1.jpg

Is this the max size of the goblin mobs now? Usually you should find 12 or so when they are like that.

On launch day I stayed home from work, imported my 60 Wiz and powered through act 5. The next day I did a ton of bounties and crafted a good pair of +fire Reaper Wraps. Last night I spent most of my blood shards but got a Magefist and a Mirrorball. I immediately switched to a conflagrate build, switched the difficulty to torment 1 and proceeded to tear everything apart! It was the most fun I've had with a game in a long time!

Mirrorball with a decent fire bonus and toughness you can easily go to T3. What's your main weapon?

shmoglish

Can i enjoy this game ?

It is a great game to jump in for a few quests. You can play with random guys (there is a trophy for that). Going to play D3 and Destiny in the future.

Maybe its possible to join the party with a second gamepad (and a second character). Did somebody try this already?

Maybe i misunderstand how Adventure mode works, i thought as long as you have one character beat the story then it unlocks Adventure mode for other characters sharing your save file?

I've definitely noticed that it is a lot harder to get into trouble compared to vanilla. I can basically facetank anything on expert, where that would be suicide on Hell or Inferno mode on vanilla. I haven't played on Torment, maybe I'm just getting used to the new setup with difficulty. Everything else seems appropriate for my level and gear, it's just that I barely take damage. I don't even gear for toughness or vitality, either.

BokehKing

Banned
I need to remember as soon as I kill azmodan to jump to heaven, this will be the 4th time I have to trudge through there now, simply beating him does nothing for you

Admodieus

So once you have your first 70 and Adventure mode unlocked, what is the easiest/best way to level an alt character?

Run bounties constantly as the new character. In addition to the experience you get from killing monsters you get bonus experience, gold, and rift keys whenever a bounty is completed. Really accelerates the leveling process.

gruenel

Run bounties constantly as the new character. In addition to the experience you get from killing monsters you get bonus experience, gold, and rift keys whenever a bounty is completed. Really accelerates the leveling process.

Wait... you can do bounties at level 1 if you already finished the game with another char? That's good to know. I'll get a shitload of rift keys that way.

This explains a lot, thanks. Excited to start my Wizard as soon as I finish Crusader :)

Admodieus

Can you do rifts at level 1 too or would that be considered a waste of keys? Because you can level really fast there also.

You can, but I consider it a waste. I save rifts until I'm 70, you want to maximize the increased legendary chance when it matters. Often times when leveling, you'll outpace a legendary you just found within 10 minutes.

Hey guys I'm a lvl 33 wizard and this is what I'm rolling with currently.

rEsFpgl.jpg

Any suggestions? I feel like I should be doing more damage. I'm playing on Expert with about 2 other friends who are about lvl 40 something. What should I look for armor and weapon wise. I'm a noob so I'm not really sure what I'm looking for as far as armor and weapons. Any help is appreciated.

As far as gear goes, just stack up on Intelligence first and then look for Vitality, ignore Strength and Dexterity. Then you'd want gear that does one or more of the following: increase to crit chance, increased crit damage, increased attack speed, cooldown reduction, resource cost reduction, or increased damage to skills you use. Other things to look for in gear, mainly at higher levels: Resistance to all, increased movement speed, magic find, gem slots, and life on hit. If you use skills like Frost Nova or Mirror Image, cooldown reduction will be very handy, otherwise you can skip gear that doesn't have that. If you use skills that have a high Arcane Power cost, try to find gear with reduced resource cost.

Weapon wise, I like using a fast one handed weapon (wands are preferable, but whatever gives you the highest DPS is best) and a Wizard Source for the offhand.

For skills, the first thing you want to do is TURN ELECTIVE MODE ON (you can do this from the options menu). With Elective Mode on, you can assign skills to different buttons, AND you can choose skills from the same grouping. In other words, you can have 2 Force skills or 2 Conjuration Skills. This is much much better as now you can truly customize your character.

As for the skills you're currently using, Magic Missile and Disintegrate are fine. If you want to be more mobile you can switch Disintegrate to Arcane Orb instead. Frost Nova is a nice skill; if you want to use it more, switch the Shatter Rune to Cold Snap. I would replace Energy Twister with Hydra (Arcane Hydra rune); I feel it's more reliable DPS and at Level 45 you can pair it with the Passive Skill: Temporal Flux (enemies that take Arcane damage are slowed for 2 seconds.) And when I used Hydra, I switched out Frost Nova with Blizzard. Blizzard + Hydra are a nice combo; you can slow groups down and let the Hydra pound on them.

I also see you're using Storm Armor. I'd suggest that you replace it with Energy Armor for a nice Defensive buff instead. Mirror Image is nice because the clones cast the same spells as you do (albeit at only 10% of the damage). They'd be good to use with utility skills like Slow Time or Frost Nova; this would be perfect if you want to do Crowd Control). If you want to do more DPS, switch to Familiar or Magic Weapon.

Passives should depend on the skills you are using.Glass Cannon is always nice because of the increase in DPS. If you use cold skills, Cold Blooded is nice to have. Fire skills; Conflagration. If you use skills with cooldowns, Evocation is a must. If you use one or more of the folowing: Mirror Image, Slow Time, or Teleport; then use Illusionist. Keep this things in mind when choosing a Passive.

Thinking about starting my first Hardcore character soon. Played the PC version loads but never went the hardcore route. Any tips on which character class would work best for Hardcore? Tempted to go with a Crusader...

Top Bottom