• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Umbasaborne

Banned
You talking about Lorath? I just looked him up. Ralph Ineson

He played the guy with the mullet in Ready Player One who lost a death match due to the "broke ass gloves".

MV5BMTYxOTUzMzg2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODE0MjQxNTM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

But yeah, fantastic voice.
He’s also in ffxvi. His voice is rad as fuck

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Do you find group play enjoyable?
I have two friends I’ve played with throughout my time here and there. They flat out don’t want to play with me because my character is so buff. They said I spoil any fun or challenge because I one shot with pulverize . They refuse to do any build online and I’m not going to tell them how to play . If they enjoy the potato builds they cooked up so be it.

I had another buddy who does have a good rogue build and we wiped 40 nightmares like regular dungeons where a solo 40 NM for me at least requires me to use potions.

The scaling thing seems pointless when a guy like me shreds shit so hard at any level.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I have two friends I’ve played with throughout my time here and there. They flat out don’t want to play with me because my character is so buff. They said I spoil any fun or challenge because I one shot with pulverize . They refuse to do any build online and I’m not going to tell them how to play . If they enjoy the potato builds they cooked up so be it.

I had another buddy who does have a good rogue build and we wiped 40 nightmares like regular dungeons where a solo 40 NM for me at least requires me to use potions.

The scaling thing seems pointless when a guy like me shreds shit so hard at any level.
You should play with us, then lol

Nydius

I'm lvl 60, in WT3, and have a pretty good grasp of what my options are for grinding xp, renown, loot, etc. I gotta say I am sorta hitting a wall with this game already. I don't even know if it's entirely Diablo's fault or the fact that so many games now require you to treat it like a second job. Doesn't help that the loot grind is pretty harsh, I am not even looking for necessarily insane legendaries and I have yet to see a single one that I am chasing. I played Destiny 1 & 2 so I am well aware that this is part of the design but Destiny 2 is in a much better state when it comes to chasing loot and coming to this is rough. The fact there is no matchmaking, no legendary trading, no option to at least chase a particular gear type, is absurd for this being the main fourth entry in the series. Plus now they are consistently nerfing good farming spots which is pretty much the main source of fun. Hopefully updates can alleviate some of these issues. If resetting renown though is gonna be the path forward for seasonal activities I'll just nope right out.

This is a perfect description of how I'm currently feeling, except I'm only 54 and have been taking my time to try and prevent feeling like I'm hitting a wall. But it isn't working. The best way I can describe it is I don't feel like I'm progressing anywhere. Sure, I get points and loot and new aspects to inscribe, but between the enemy scaling and the fact that dungeons are all painfully the same design with the same five or six objectives over and over again... I feel like in a hamster wheel.

I get that games like these are always loot treadmills but I didn't feel this way with D2 for a very long time, even D3 took a while to hit the same wall. Hell, Destiny kept me engaged for 6 years and that was a egregious loot treadmill. Something here just isn't clicking. It also doesn't help that they keep tinkering around with mob density and loot drops on the server side. If late game/end game turns out to be the same limited dungeon tile sets and same limited objectives, only with more grind and less reward then I dunno... might just hang it up after hitting 100 (if I even manage that) and maybe come back to make a Sorc or Necro when the first season official starts.

Arsic

This is a perfect description of how I'm currently feeling, except I'm only 54 and have been taking my time to try and prevent feeling like I'm hitting a wall. But it isn't working. The best way I can describe it is I don't feel like I'm progressing anywhere. Sure, I get points and loot and new aspects to inscribe, but between the enemy scaling and the fact that dungeons are all painfully the same design with the same five or six objectives over and over again... I feel like in a hamster wheel.

I get that games like these are always loot treadmills but I didn't feel this way with D2 for a very long time, even D3 took a while to hit the same wall. Hell, Destiny kept me engaged for 6 years and that was a egregious loot treadmill. Something here just isn't clicking. It also doesn't help that they keep tinkering around with mob density and loot drops on the server side. If late game/end game turns out to be the same limited dungeon tile sets and same limited objectives, only with more grind and less reward then I dunno... might just hang it up after hitting 100 (if I even manage that) and maybe come back to make a Sorc or Necro when the first season official starts.

I’m at the point where I play some Druid stuff at level 81 currently for the day. I set a goal of getting one level up a day and a world boss if it’s up, then I either play my rogue alt or call it a day.

Leveling an alt feels really good and shows the issue with the end game 10X more. You no longer have nonstop feed of upgrades and excitement seeing legendaries drop wondering what it is.

I also think and some may not agree, but giving almost all cosmetic options on alts unlocked to transmog was a mistake. So I can instantly make my alt look bad ass which defeats the fun in obtaining those .

I’m also unsure how you fix this. In D2 the grind for runes redoing countess for example didn’t feel like a chore. Which it should… but knowing any time it could give me that item to create a sick piece was exciting. Plus knowing things like SOJ exist , and that there is clearly a progression of higher difficulty as I keep going through the game again made me always be on my toes. It keeps the player engaged and offers loot grinds worth doing, with a steady drip feed.

Maybe they can reintroduce crafting gear with runes, and make runes very giga rare items. Throw in sets again too asap. Make these things locked not only behind low drop rates but specific hard AF bosses. The sense of reward is gone I’d argue in this game very quickly after level 50-60.

Anyone using a controller will experience it unless they are very slow with button presses.

If you have decent reactions you'll see dodges going off a second after you press the button as they don't interrupt the current action but are buffered instead which is absolutely crazy for a arpg.

It feels like an accessibility option for disabled people but the problem is you can't disable it.

I thought I was crazy because I didn't see anyone else talking about this. The buffering is absolutely terrible, hell there are times when I consciously try not to push extra buttons and it still registers double inputs. I've shot so much lightning the opposite direction because of this...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just did my first one of those big public events and holy shit I couldn't even find my character model in the middle of all the jumbled mess of characters and non stop effects flying everywhere lol.

The game didn't skip a beat in performance though, real impressive optimization on their part.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm lvl 60, in WT3, and have a pretty good grasp of what my options are for grinding xp, renown, loot, etc. I gotta say I am sorta hitting a wall with this game already. I don't even know if it's entirely Diablo's fault or the fact that so many games now require you to treat it like a second job. Doesn't help that the loot grind is pretty harsh, I am not even looking for necessarily insane legendaries and I have yet to see a single one that I am chasing. I played Destiny 1 & 2 so I am well aware that this is part of the design but Destiny 2 is in a much better state when it comes to chasing loot and coming to this is rough. The fact there is no matchmaking, no legendary trading, no option to at least chase a particular gear type, is absurd for this being the main fourth entry in the series. Plus now they are consistently nerfing good farming spots which is pretty much the main source of fun. Hopefully updates can alleviate some of these issues. If resetting renown though is gonna be the path forward for seasonal activities I'll just nope right out.
I'm not as negative as this but know what you mean. I'm slowly getting to 60 [57] but I play for a couple hours at a time and I'm talking everything except gems are salvaged for those two hours and I'm not getting better equipment, even using sigils.

If I use sigils that are too high the dungeon grind is not effective comparing time to reward. I agree completely on needing dungeon finder or something. Using LFG is just as frustrating when 55+ are trying NM that are too high, and we wipe repeatedly costing repairs.

I'm hoping I see some better gear this week. Even the tree bounties aren't rewarding. This is the first time I've felt this. I'm thinking it's just a weird scaling issue from WT3 -> WT4

MikeM

Gold Member

Same here. I have a shapeshifter Druid build and one my own, its far from easy. Me and another buddy team up, and we demolish everything.

Any way to disable TP in town? I've overwrote my dungeon TP by accidentally casting a TP while in town. Even Phantasy Star Online didn't screw this up on Dreamcast. The only reason I can see to allow this is in case you get stuck in a wall in town or you're too lazy to run to another side of town?

I'm playing Druid and completed a quest that allows me to randomly pick up spirit offerings that I can exchange for spell buffs. Does sorceress have something similar and if so, how do I trigger it? Girlfriend is playing sorc, but I dunno where her questline is for that. She has no more priority quests.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm playing Druid and completed a quest that allows me to randomly pick up spirit offerings that I can exchange for spell buffs. Does sorceress have something similar and if so, how do I trigger it? Girlfriend is playing sorc, but I dunno where her questline is for that. She has no more priority quests.
Sorc's class quest is in Fractured Peaks, the Act 1 zone

Fools idol

Banned
iughhh..... my level 33 hardcore rogue just died. the game crashed with error code BA36DA63-E4D8-43B6-BE3E-C69BB816363D and when I loaded back in it was gone.

fuck this... there should be some way the game knows a crash / disconnect from a death surely... wasted 15 hours

Arsic

I finally got a ton of good gear upgrades for my Druid today with over 800 gear. Just need a better amulet now and the pulverize build is 100% done aside from better version aspects to imprint.

I wish they’d hurry up and fix the Druid loot table already .

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
iughhh..... my level 33 hardcore rogue just died. the game crashed with error code BA36DA63-E4D8-43B6-BE3E-C69BB816363D and when I loaded back in it was gone.

fuck this... there should be some way the game knows a crash / disconnect from a death surely... wasted 15 hours
I know that feel bro. I lost a 27 barb, a 42 barb, and another 42 barb

Captn

Fuck the butcher.

That is all.

For me I encountered him for the first time in a NM dungeon at level 53 and got him down but it was not easy.

Last time I've came face to face it was in the same circumstance but at level 61.

I tanked him and melted his ass in 30 seconds loll

That's my experience with him so far..

Just got to WT4 at level 64!

Good luck with him! He's a pain in the arse!

Reactions: GHG
I finally got a ton of good gear upgrades for my Druid today with over 800 gear. Just need a better amulet now and the pulverize build is 100% done aside from better version aspects to imprint.

I wish they’d hurry up and fix the Druid loot table already .
Loot table for druid is ridiculous, I've got weird uniques today like the lucky wraps or whatever and a barbarian weapon

Ozzie666

Has anyone found the boss Mahjoob? Wtf, he's the hardest enemy in the entire game.

I believe that boss is bugged at T3 or T4 due to bad scaling and his vampiric healing is of the charts. He turns red, you need to run away. But even then, it's still bugged.

MastAndo

Wait, you guys are actually able to kill the butcher? I always run.
Early on, he slaughtered me once and I ran from him twice after that. Bumped into him again at level 38 (Whirlwind Barb) and pretty much just facetanked him, only dodging his headbutts. He's been a piece of cake ever the few times I have seen him since. Can't say the drops were any good though.

I'm not sure how he scales though, as I always forget to look at his level when facing him. Maybe he scales on top of the level of the content you're doing and I wasn't any place too dangerous when running into him?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's nice about fighting him as a Whirlwind Barb is that if you spin around him long enough, his targeting AI bugs out and he starts running around doing nothing.

Codeblew

Wait, you guys are actually able to kill the butcher? I always run.
I killed him in Tier 3 but have been unable to in Tier 4 yet except for the time he didn't despawn and I chunked him away over 3 deaths in a nightmare. I could probably kill him in a non-nightmare T4 dungeon though.

GHG

For me I encountered him for the first time in a NM dungeon at level 53 and got him down but it was not easy.

Last time I've came face to face it was in the same circumstance but at level 61.

I tanked him and melted his ass in 30 seconds loll

That's my experience with him so far..

Just got to WT4 at level 64!

Good luck with him! He's a pain in the arse!

My first encounter was at level 32 and I was not prepared. Took me a few moments to realise what was going on and by then it was too late.

Worst thing about it, I couldn't even try and get revenge immediately.

What level did you guys get your mount? I just saw a level 12 riding a horse. I thought the mount quest was in act 4 towards end game.

Last edited:
Aspects drops for the Druid is ridiculous. I've got shockwave on a weapon but found an ancestral legendary that gives me +800 attack with perfect stats but I can't use it since I need another shockwave aspect to put on it.

I got a total of two from 1-50 and then none from 50 to 67.

Last edited:

jcorb

Honestly, having spent more time with the game... I think D4... kinda sucks.

The world isn't fun to look at, and holy-fucking-shit there is SO MUCH RUNNING. The addition of "Mounts" was definitely a red flag, and I'm not kidding when I say you probably spend 60% of the game running around *looking* for something to kill. Actual combat has a good level of intensity, but it feels like your time is spent *looking* for enemies. Porting to different towns, running to specific dungeons, even in those dungeons, WAY too much backtracking looking for objectives...

I also feel like gear feels a little exasperating. Loads of modifiers, but very few seem meaningful. "Legendaries" all feel super boring, they don't really augment *how* you use your abilities, and they're all so incredibly specific, you might as well be locked into using "loadouts" of abilities.

I still think there is a solid enough framework to become something special. But the game is just... surprisingly boring, imo.

Antwix

Got all Lillith Altars (that was boring)

Now it's time to farm PvP items
after grinding tier 40+ nm dungeons for some glyph upgrades, im actually having a nice chill time going through those and going through the random dungeons i missed for the last tier of renown

Antwix

OMG absolutely unplayable!

capture8gerb.jpg

But seriously I don't have a super high end setup, but at 1440p the game is basically locked at 144hz with my 6700xt (ryzen 5600x+16gb ddr4) @ high textures. I noticed when in the inventory screen it'll drop to the 130s probably due to their high rendering of your character model. I do use FSR quality though. But I have absolutely never seen those super long stutters that he was showing on the 2080. That's pretty crazy but it really looks like (in most places) the game doing its shard loading. Honestly I don't really see any of what they were talking about in the video to be a problem. There's enough settings in the options to make the game enjoyable at super low end systems as well as super high end systems. What do I know though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OMG absolutely unplayable!

capture8gerb.jpg

But seriously I don't have a super high end setup, but at 1440p the game is basically locked at 144hz with my 6700xt (ryzen 5600x+16gb ddr4) @ high textures. I noticed when in the inventory screen it'll drop to the 130s probably due to their high rendering of your character model. I do use FSR quality though. But I have absolutely never seen those super long stutters that he was showing on the 2080. That's pretty crazy but it really looks like (in most places) the game doing its shard loading. Honestly I don't really see any of what they were talking about in the video to be a problem. There's enough settings in the options to make the game enjoyable at super low end systems as well as super high end systems. What do I know though.
I get those stutters too, but it seems like a network issue to me. I gotta try turning off crossplay sometime.

Nydius

Leveling an alt feels really good and shows the issue with the end game 10X more. You no longer have nonstop feed of upgrades and excitement seeing legendaries drop wondering what it is

Agreed. 1-50 was really great but since hitting 50 it feels like everything's fallen off a cliff. A smidge away from 60 now and everything feels so futile. Drops have practically vanished and what I do get is 99.9% salvage fodder. It doesn't help that one of the aspects I like/need (druid hurricane damage) is limited to gear extraction and isn't in the codex of power. I have yet to find a single legendary that makes me stand up and take notice unlike the last two games. Even their art models seem lacking in comparison -- the legendary staff I'm using atm for example looks like someone put an orange lifesaver candy on a stick.

I made an alt Sorc this morning and played up to Kyovashad and was like "hey, this is fun again" -- then went to my Druid and was like "ehhhhh I'm bored again".

I wish I could put my finger on an exact thing. The loot grind is the same as it ever was. But it just doesn't feel as rewarding and almost feels disrespectful of the amount of time spent playing. 🤷‍♂️

Ed:
The world isn't fun to look at, and holy-fucking-shit there is SO MUCH RUNNING. The addition of "Mounts" was definitely a red flag, and I'm not kidding when I say you probably spend 60% of the game running around *looking* for something to kill.
Scosglen and The Dry Steppes are awful in this regard. So much so that when I got to Act 3, I just put everything else on hold until I finished the entire Act so I could unlock the mount in Act 4 because I was tired of getting quests that were several minute -- and mostly empty -- runs from the nearest waypoint or town.

Aspects drops for the Druid is ridiculous.
Agreed. Running as a storm druid, the hurricane damage aspect is practically critical to the build. I've seen one in 60 levels. Since you can only extract it once, I'm stuck with the level 48 ring I put it on unless I find another one. Starting to wonder if I'll ever see another one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom