• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV |OT| Blessed Mother... Save Us

Cyberpunkd

If you’re level 52 you should definitely go for WT3 now, you won’t find any challenge at T2.

If you have obols (the thing you get from events) spend them once you reach Tier 3 for an instant upgrade. Then you can start doing Nightmare dungeons and Hordes.

Edit: sidequests are only useful if you want to get the last reputation rewards.
Ok, I will power through the campaign, I know I can skip it but I never finished D4 campaign.

What upgrade you are talking about?

draliko

Damn this is the first time I'm really drooling to test the ptr.... I already know I'll suck it up and buy the DLC but the fact that they're streamlining glyphs and levelling in general, and the idea to finally have a group finder... Oh god can't wait for it...

Chukhopops

Ok, I will power through the campaign, I know I can skip it but I never finished D4 campaign.

What upgrade you are talking about?
The idea is:
- you do events (the random ones that happen in the world or dungeons) at a lower tier so you farm them easily and get plenty of obols (the purple currency thing next to your gold);
- you move to the higher tier;
- you spend your obols at the Purveyor of Curiosities, a guy next to the occultist just outside the blacksmith shop.

That way you can instantly get very strong weapons and equipments to jumpstart you into the next tier.

Cyberpunkd

The idea is:
- you do events (the random ones that happen in the world or dungeons) at a lower tier so you farm them easily and get plenty of obols (the purple currency thing next to your gold);
- you move to the higher tier;
- you spend your obols at the Purveyor of Curiosities, a guy next to the occultist just outside the blacksmith shop.

That way you can instantly get very strong weapons and equipments to jumpstart you into the next tier.
Just spent like 700 Obols yesterday trying to pull a good Bow in WT2, FML.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Damn this is the first time I'm really drooling to test the ptr.... I already know I'll suck it up and buy the DLC but the fact that they're streamlining glyphs and levelling in general, and the idea to finally have a group finder... Oh god can't wait for it...

See you on Wednesday!

Cyberpunkd

Ok, I finished the campaign, thoughts below:

I have a soft spot for Diablo, since I played the first game when it came out, I loved the original setting, meeting the dying adventurer in front of the cathedral, Prime Evils, etc.
I am getting the impression once they decided "D4 is about Lilith" they left it at that till a week before plot deadline, and even then gave it to an intern:

1. I am super confused why we need to stop Lilith and not ally with her against Mepfisto. Sure, in the last 15 minutes they tried to hint that her vision of Sanctuary is some sort of benevolent dictatorship, but how is leaving Prime Evils to fuck things up a better solution? From my perspective her deal was simple: become Prime Evil to stand up to Heavens and Hell and protect Sanctuary from the Eternal Conflict. How is this bad?
2. Related to the above - I found the whole plot to have really bad flow: Lilith comes to Sanctuary, nobody does much. We run chasing her (now I know we were skillfully pushed towards it by Mephisto, this however was not further developed), then in the last act the Church of Light is suddenly invading Hell? Was it because Lilith opened the gates?
3. Every time I get "power of friendship" in a Diablo game I puke a little. For me the series was always about hopelessness of humans being pawns in the Eternal Conflict, except brave adventurers that miraculously managed to push evil back time and time again. That is still in Diablo 4, but I get a hint of patronizing "I am no hero, I am weak as any human, my allies make me strong". No, you dumb shit - you are strong because you are a fucking Hero of this story.
4. Same with Neyrelle - it seems she can do harm, is super smart, more educated and wise than the oldest Horadrim and when she comes up with a plan to fuck over Mephisto everbody just goes with it. Which BTW - doesn't that mean once again we should ally with Lilith?
5. Fighting both Andariel and Duriel was extremely anticlimatic - there is no build-up to this fight, they just pop up and that's it.

Ok, now on to questions. I have unlocked seasonal activities, so correct me if I am wrong:
1. Do the dungeon, unlock WT3.
2. Complete Season questline
3. Do the seasonal activities to complete Battle Pass and Season's Journey, get better gear, unlock WT4 once WT3 is too easy

Two questions:
1. Should I save all the caches I have and open them at WT3?
2. Is there any benefit from doing all the Seasonal Challenges or only enough to unlock the next Tier? If I understand the benefits of which are mostly just cache full of items and the transmogs and nice stuff is mostly locked behind the Battle Pass?

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Open the seasonal journey caches and the seasonal questline caches as soon as you can. There's no point in saving them.

2. Is there any benefit from doing all the Seasonal Challenges or only enough to unlock the next Tier? If I understand the benefits of which are mostly just cache full of items and the transmogs and nice stuff is mostly locked behind the Battle Pass?

You only need to do enough to unlock it. Maxing it out is only for 100%ers and doesn't get you any extra rewards.

Von

Ok, I finished the campaign, thoughts below:

I have a soft spot for Diablo, since I played the first game when it came out, I loved the original setting, meeting the dying adventurer in front of the cathedral, Prime Evils, etc.
I am getting the impression once they decided "D4 is about Lilith" they left it at that till a week before plot deadline, and even then gave it to an intern:

1. I am super confused why we need to stop Lilith and not ally with her against Mepfisto. Sure, in the last 15 minutes they tried to hint that her vision of Sanctuary is some sort of benevolent dictatorship, but how is leaving Prime Evils to fuck things up a better solution? From my perspective her deal was simple: become Prime Evil to stand up to Heavens and Hell and protect Sanctuary from the Eternal Conflict. How is this bad?
2. Related to the above - I found the whole plot to have really bad flow: Lilith comes to Sanctuary, nobody does much. We run chasing her (now I know we were skillfully pushed towards it by Mephisto, this however was not further developed), then in the last act the Church of Light is suddenly invading Hell? Was it because Lilith opened the gates?
3. Every time I get "power of friendship" in a Diablo game I puke a little. For me the series was always about hopelessness of humans being pawns in the Eternal Conflict, except brave adventurers that miraculously managed to push evil back time and time again. That is still in Diablo 4, but I get a hint of patronizing "I am no hero, I am weak as any human, my allies make me strong". No, you dumb shit - you are strong because you are a fucking Hero of this story.
4. Same with Neyrelle - it seems she can do harm, is super smart, more educated and wise than the oldest Horadrim and when she comes up with a plan to fuck over Mephisto everbody just goes with it. Which BTW - doesn't that mean once again we should ally with Lilith?
5. Fighting both Andariel and Duriel was extremely anticlimatic - there is no build-up to this fight, they just pop up and that's it.

Ok, now on to questions. I have unlocked seasonal activities, so correct me if I am wrong:
1. Do the dungeon, unlock WT3.
2. Complete Season questline
3. Do the seasonal activities to complete Battle Pass and Season's Journey, get better gear, unlock WT4 once WT3 is too easy

Two questions:

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
Attempt to unlock WT4 asap. Like around level 50-ish.

Cyberpunkd

Ok, unlocked WT3. Minions are thrash, bosses are challenging, blood maiden is hard. Started seasonal questline, my main issue is figuring what to replace my item levels 600 with, is 80 item level worth losing good affixes and legendary effect? I replaced a unique bow with a legendary since it got me from 2.8k to 4.4K AP, figured no matter what the upgrade is worth it.

Overall I love Helltide, just going there and killing monsters almost non-stop. The goal is still to max on Battle Pass and do all the seasonal content first, then we will see how much time I have left to progress, although I think I will be done with everything in a week tops.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok, unlocked WT3. Minions are thrash, bosses are challenging, blood maiden is hard. Started seasonal questline, my main issue is figuring what to replace my item levels 600 with, is 80 item level worth losing good affixes and legendary effect? I replaced a unique bow with a legendary since it got me from 2.8k to 4.4K AP, figured no matter what the upgrade is worth it.

Overall I love Helltide, just going there and killing monsters almost non-stop. The goal is still to max on Battle Pass and do all the seasonal content first, then we will see how much time I have left to progress, although I think I will be done with everything in a week tops.

Generally speaking, once you get into a new World Tier, higher ilevel items, in this case sacred items, are better than your previous items in most cases. Even if you have to give up your legendary powers. The nice thing about the game system though, is that you can salvage your own legendary item to retain the aspect, and then imprint that onto your new rare (yellow) sacred items.

For most people who have lots of experience in the game, they spend as little time as possible in World Tier 3, and blast straight to World Tier 4 in 15 minutes. However, since you are starting from scratch, it is a different process and progression for you, which I find interesting. Thank you for sharing your experiences. My blind spot is how the game feels as a new/casual player, so I like hearing from those voices.

Cyberpunkd

Generally speaking, once you get into a new World Tier, higher ilevel items, in this case sacred items, are better than your previous items in most cases. Even if you have to give up your legendary powers. The nice thing about the game system though, is that you can salvage your own legendary item to retain the aspect, and then imprint that onto your new rare (yellow) sacred items.

For most people who have lots of experience in the game, they spend as little time as possible in World Tier 3, and blast straight to World Tier 4 in 15 minutes. However, since you are starting from scratch, it is a different process and progression for you, which I find interesting. Thank you for sharing your experiences. My blind spot is how the game feels as a new/casual player, so I like hearing from those voices.
Thank you, all good info. I bought D4 for PS5 a year ago, played 2 hours. Now it was on sale ok Steam so I figured I might try it for Steamdeck.

In general I am a bit floored by how many new systems the game throws at you when you finish the Campaign and then go to WT3 - Helltides, Mothers Gift, etc.

Unlocked Seasonal Journey Level 4, I see this will take a while.

I understand the basics of equipment management:
Stats you can reroll
If less than 4 affixes you can add them
Legendary effect you can also change

Annoying that legendary effect on gear doesn’t have a name so I need to scroll over each, but I guess this is what “present already on a piece of gear message” is for.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Annoying that legendary effect on gear doesn’t have a name so I need to scroll over each, but I guess this is what “present already on a piece of gear message” is for.

They actually do have a name! On PC if you press the 'y' key, it'll take you to the codex which shows you all of the legendary powers you saved up.

Cyberpunkd

They actually do have a name! On PC if you press the 'y' key, it'll take you to the codex which shows you all of the legendary powers you saved up.
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Is this PC only? I’m playing on PS5/SteamDeck (yes, I bought it twice, fml).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

Is this PC only? I’m playing on PS5/SteamDeck (yes, I bought it twice, fml).

I'm not sure what the equivalent shortcuts are on console or Steamdeck. Can you just type in 'y' on SteamDeck?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You can kill a world boss as many times as you want, but each boss only gives you one grand cache per week or something like that. To be honest, the rewards are so insignificant that it doesn't matter what it is.

Cyberpunkd

Ok, got 10.5k AP and changed equipment a bit to give me some defences e.g. protective bubble. Also put a few gems for extra life, much more comfortable now.

I will post some screenshots of new drops and my current equipment to get advice if I should change.

samoilaaa

hello , im thinking of buying diablo 4 but only for the campaign but i have two questions

1. Is the campaign any good ?
2. Do i need ps plus ?

Cyberpunkd

hello , im thinking of buying diablo 4 but only for the campaign but i have two questions

1. Is the campaign any good ?
2. Do i need ps plus ?
You do not need PS Plus if you want to play solo. Campaign is meh and over in less than 10 hours if you rush.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So season 6 will be called Season of Hatred. "Encounter creatures twisted by the ichor of Mephisto's hatred" "Slay Realmwalkers to access Hell Portals" "Delve into Hell Portals for powerful buffs" At least that what the non selectable season shows in the PTR.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Attack Power means nothing

You do not need PS Plus if you want to play solo. Campaign is meh and over in less than 10 hours if you rush.

I'd say that attack power is a decentish measure as you level up, but once you start gettiing the aspects you need, the paragons, etc the distance between your real damage and what attack power represents increase.

If you don't know Cyberpunkd, there's a minidungeon in kyovashad where there are training dummies you can wail on to see your damage numbers clearly.

DavidGzz

Leveling nicely with dancing knives. It's so fun. I love the wardrobe on the go and being able to change other cosmetics and activating pets. So good.

The mount behind your character in the loading screens is nice too.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I've played the PTR more than season 5 now. Hit max level, having a blast in the pit. Dance of knives has been fun. Probably not the best build, but it's mine. Didn't follow a guide at all. Much more rewarding.

Salz01

Are there still no new cool looking sets to find in the world or dungeons still? Only way is to buy the transmogs?

Cyberpunkd

Ok, lvl 70 now, I think I stabilized a bit on WT3 aka everything is dying rather fast. Mind you, there is no optimization no following any built whatsoever.

Should I go for WT4 capstone?

finalflame

Ok, lvl 70 now, I think I stabilized a bit on WT3 aka everything is dying rather fast. Mind you, there is no optimization no following any built whatsoever.

People recommend the capstone as early as 45 depending on your build, so yah, give it a shot. Make sure you are using tempering and optimize your aspects to have some semblance of build cohesion.

I'd say that attack power is a decentish measure as you level up, but once you start gettiing the aspects you need, the paragons, etc the distance between your real damage and what attack power represents increase.

If you don't know Cyberpunkd, there's a minidungeon in kyovashad where there are training dummies you can wail on to see your damage numbers clearly.

Not at all because Blizzard made this game revolve heavily around multipliers. Especially a class like Sorcerer your Attack Power might be tiny but do massive damage over time.

If you’re building around Attack Power you’re doing it wrong. They should basically take that number out of the game.

The game basically begins at level 100 WT4. If you have to ask this question you’re barely playing.

Cyberpunkd

People recommend the capstone as early as 45 depending on your build, so yah, give it a shot. Make sure you are using tempering and optimize your aspects to have some semblance of build cohesion.
Got it done, the boss lived less than 5 seconds. WT4!
The game basically begins at level 100 WT4. If you have to ask this question you’re barely playing.
No comment on this, take your shit attitude elsewhere.

No comment on this, take your shit attitude elsewhere.

You need to calm down. It sounds like you’re new to ARPGs and that this might be your first Diablo game.

It’s just the truth. The goal of these games is the loot and min/maxing.

Everything up to endgame is meant to be easy. You can pretty much blow through the game with anything, but pushing the Pits later on will require special items and builds.

That’s why you’re beating bosses in five seconds. It’s designed that way, not because you have a special character.

Cyberpunkd

You need to calm down. It sounds like you’re new to ARPGs and that this might be your first Diablo game.

It’s just the truth. The goal of these games is the loot and min/maxing.

Everything up to endgame is meant to be easy. You can pretty much blow through the game with anything, but pushing the Pits later on will require special items and builds.

That’s why you’re beating bosses in five seconds. It’s designed that way, not because you have a special character.
I played Diablo 1 most likely before you were even born (played at release, still have the physical box).
Didn’t game much these past few years, only getting back to it now + Diablo 4 has a lot of systems that didn’t exist in any other Diablo game.

I am playing Season which means this character will go to thrash in a month anyway, this is my first season so I’m learning all new things.

I played Diablo 1 most likely before you were even born (played at release, still have the physical box).
Didn’t game much these past few years, only getting back to it now + Diablo 4 has a lot of systems that didn’t exist in any other Diablo game.

I am playing Season which means this character will go to thrash in a month anyway, this is my first season so I’m learning all new things.

Then you’ll see what I mean by the end.

Duellist

Ok guys, help a diablo endgame newbie out. I’ve played every diablo since the release of the first one, alway just enjoyed story then got bored and quit at endgame. I’ve got a character level 50 and in world tier 2 and started a necro that’s at 40 in world tier 2. Doing the season. What should I be focusing on for leveling and loot grind? Right now just running around grabbing all the Lilith statues I missed and doing the random events (gold ring circle)that pop up.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ok guys, help a diablo endgame newbie out. I’ve played every diablo since the release of the first one, alway just enjoyed story then got bored and quit at endgame. I’ve got a character level 50 and in world tier 2 and started a necro that’s at 40 in world tier 2. Doing the season. What should I be focusing on for leveling and loot grind? Right now just running around grabbing all the Lilith statues I missed and doing the random events (gold ring circle)that pop up.

In the early game, your largest sources of damage are the +damage tempers on your weapons, gloves, and jewelry. For necro, the easiest leveling will be either sacrificed minions blood surge or pure minions.

If you're level 40, you're high enough to attempt the capstone dungeon to get into world tier 3. Once there, upgrade your items to sacred as soon as you can. You can try helltides, the PVP zone, or the seasonal questline for easy access to new items.

Duellist

In the early game, your largest sources of damage are the +damage tempers on your weapons, gloves, and jewelry. For necro, the easiest leveling will be either sacrificed minions blood surge or pure minions.

If you're level 40, you're high enough to attempt the capstone dungeon to get into world tier 3. Once there, upgrade your items to sacred as soon as you can. You can try helltides, the PVP zone, or the seasonal questline for easy access to new items.
Ok thanks, I’m doing the blood surge build so I got that right at least lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Nice! If you haven't yet, make sure you level the glyphs you are using to at least level 15 in the nightmare dungeons to get the most use out of them. The events that spawn in the dungeons are also really good for exp

Cyberpunkd

I am swimming in ancestral gear, now I just need to find the time to check each item, and decide what aspect+temper+stat reroll to go for.

Started changing gear and my AP went down from 23k to 16k already, so I am trusting you guys it really doesn't mean much...

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

feel like teaming up?

gotta warn that my only season char is a very pimped out sorc however, so up to you - we can chat and answer questions

Top Bottom