• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony just raise the switch 2 price point?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
With the reveal of the Ps5 Pro did Sony just screw Nintendo fans hoping for a switch 2 at $300-400 USD.

By upping the price to $700.00 for newest ps5 and with no new Xbox console releasing Nintendo is going to raise the cost of the switch 2 to 499.99 aren’t they? That’s 200 cheaper than the Pro but significantly higher than the switch oled.

Nintendo will be watching how the reception to the sales and internet chat about the prices. Hell I think Nintendo may have even postponed the switch to next year simply because they knew the pro was coming and wanted Sony to take consumer heat before setting their switch 2 pricing structure.

I’m expecting the switch 2 to now be 399-450 on release.

Do you think the pro point of the pro will have any impact on Nintendo Switch 2? If so how much

RaZoR No1

I expect the Next Switch to be around 350-450€..
But I expected PS5 Pro to be at around max 699€ with a drive and here we are now..

I still do not know, how Nintendo will convince people to get the next Switch.
The current one still sells marvelously without any big discounts...
I just cannot see them just to end production on Switch 1 and switch (hehe) to Next Switch while having this momentum..

No way Nintendo is launching a system over $400.
If you really think Switch 2 will barely cost more than a Switch costs currently i have bad news to you. Nintendo will for sure be affected by the increased prices for everything now and after a console that sold over 130M units, they could sell it for $500 or even more and it would sell out instantly.

Wooxsvan

its the price of silicon these days. and everything else for that matter

this from earlier this year. its the nature of tech and demand
376d8bb306e16dc929f842305f892201.png

Last edited:
I would be looking at how well a cheaper system sells vs one that has actually gone up in price over the years. My guess it's $350-400 for the Switch 2.

Codes 208

unless nintendo magically changed their current specs i seriously doubt this has affected them whatsoever.

Thats like asking if the $600 asus ally is making them consider a price jump.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Why you people like to give ideas (bad ones) to companies?

Oh yes, Nintendo will absolutely formulate their business plans based on random GAF posts 👌

I can easily see Switch 2 going for $450 but who knows, Nintendo might want to play it safe even if it means not making a big margin on the hardware knowing the software will more than make up for it.

Elios83

Nah Sony won't influence anything.
But people have to realize that the cost of gaming hardware will be on the rise.
Switch 2 won't cost less than 400-500$.

Ogbert

Gold Member
I don’t think so.

Nintendo does its own thing. And they purposefully target more dated tech to keep the price down. It’s what everyone on Gaf moans about.

SweetTooth

Gold Member
If Nintendo tried to release anything higher than $450, their man-babies fans won't be able to afford it and it will be DoA.

That's why they always target low end component and rip their fans off game prices. Effective and proven strategy

Woopah

I still do not know, how Nintendo will convince people to get the next Switch.
The current one still sells marvelously without any big discounts..
I just cannot see them just to end production on Switch 1 and switch (hehe) to Next Switch while having this momentum..
Nintendo will convince peoplethrough games. They'll be a lot of third party games on Switch 2 but not Switch, and Nintendo will have next-gen-only first party titles too.
If you really think Switch 2 will barely cost more than a Switch costs currently i have bad news to you. Nintendo will for sure be affected by the increased prices for everything now and after a console that sold over 130M units, they could sell it for $500 or even more and it would sell out instantly.
I think $399 or $449 are the sweet spots for Switch 2. Let's see if they hit them.

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Nintendo, will without a doubt release a weaker system than what's currently available. No chance their system matches anything the PS5 Pro can do, maybe not even the base PS5.

But they serve a completely different market. I can't see it costing more than $400-$450, if costs more it will alienate the Nintendo family faithfuls.

Ogbert

Gold Member
Nintendo, will without a doubt release a weaker system than what's currently available. No chance their system matches anything the PS5 Pro can do, maybe not even the base PS5.

But they serve a completely different market. I can't see it costing more than $400-$450, if costs more it will alienate the Nintendo family faithfuls.
It won't be close to the PS5.

I expect it to be around PS4 pro levels with, hopefully, some useful upscaling tech.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Everything is more expensive now. Why are folks clutching their pearls over a $700 console? JFC video cards cost upwards of $1000 for a decent* one much less the $1900 bucks the high end versions run.

If the "Switch 2: Gotcha Bitch" costs $600 so be it.

tkscz

If Nintendo tried to release anything higher than $450, their man-babies fans won't be able to afford it and it will be DoA.

That's why they always target low end component and rip their fans off game prices. Effective and proven strategy
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

No, the PS5 Pro is just for enthusiast, won't impact the price of the Switch successor.

cireza

Gold Member
Sony know their fans and are trying to get more money from them.

Nintendo know their consumers too. Nobody is going to buy a 500$+ console for their kids.

XXL

I think the PS5 Pro is expensive, but don't be delusional pretty much everything around us went up in price by quite alot.

Expect the Switch 2 to be more expensive than you think it'll be.

peish

MS did it first with 599 SX 2TB.
Well blame intel and samsung and globalfoundaries for sucking. Everyone is crowding into tsmc.

Rockman33

Nintendo almost always goes for good enough to keep prices down. Switch 2 will be no different. Maybe there will be a second version with a better screen. But the base model will 100%, absolutely be below $400.

Rockman33

Probably. They make money off the games.

Valve does make some off of Steam. But ASUS, Lenovo and the like need to make money on the console itself.
Valve makes the vast majority of its money from steam. Where else would it be making money from that would even come close to 30% of all purchases through steam.

FeralEcho

Now that Sony became the villain we went from SonyToo" on the Xbox side to the NintendoToo" on the Sony side lmao

To answer the question...Probably not. Nintendo isn't as retarded,one would hope.

Last edited:
Top Bottom