• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony just raise the switch 2 price point?

Robb

Gold Member
I’d say definitely not as they’re going to want mass market appeal.

If anything the Ps5 Pro pricing is going to make the “Switch 2” look like an insanely good deal assuming it’ll be able to play a fair share of current gen games, both on the TV and portable, at a much lower asking price.

Cyberpunkd

There's also a thing called inflation.
Said inflation is not driven equally across all segments. You can also make a case developers and platform holders today have way more possibilities to generate additional revenue streams than in the past.

dorkimoe

No. These companies spend more than 3 minutes to decide the price point. The switch 2 price is already set internally.

Last edited:

MLSabre

Hope so, higher budget, more performance.
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

This ain't the Gamecube era. That ship had long sailed.

Closer

Lol if anything it will lower the price of the Switch 2. This is a hardcore enthusiast forum and the immediate consensus here regarding the price tag is overwhelmingly negative.

Not only that but our opinions are completely irrelevant. The market is the one that's gonna drive Nintendo. We are not special.

I see the Switch releasing for $500 and no I don't think it is effected at all by Sony's pricing of the PS5 Pro.
People keep trying to compare these systems as if they are in direct competition with one another and the truth is, they really are not.

I keep seeing people throw around $400 like that is the obvious price Nintendo would go with but I would be very surprised (and a little bit concerned) if Switch 2 doesn't release at $500.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
If you consider the different Nintendo console launch prices adjusted by inflation (NES (1989 $199, adjusted $581) → SNES (1991 $199, adjusted $450) → N64 (1996 $199, adjusted $399) → GC (2001 $199, adjusted $353) → Wii (2006 $250, adjusted $390) → Wii U (2012 $299, adjusted $409) → Switch (2017 $299, adjusted $383)) since Wii it's converging at $399 (and if you remove NES from the equation it's an average of $399 adjusted by inflation). I think they would ideally launch at $349 but I totally see them launching at $399, the converging price. I don't really see them launching higher, though.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It certainly helps Nintendo's situation, in terms of PR.

I don't think they will change their plans at this point. It's too late for that..

Last edited:
Why? PS5 Pro isn't a "new"console generation. If people want a PS5, they will go for the cheapest model, the one that costs 550€ in europe. That's the price Nintendo is looking at, not the one that PS5 Pro releases.

Zacfoldor

All Nintendo has to do is announce this with an OLED screen as an option and I'm all over it at $499(high end model)

So Switch 2: LED screen, 500 gig internal memory-$399
Switch 2 "Pro" model: OLED screen, 1 terabyte internal memory- $499

s5kf7a8.jpeg
They likely will but it will be after OG Switch 2 has had enough time on the market. That way they can also get double dips.

I'll be honest, I think the PS5 Pro pricing puts the Switch 2 in a better market position. Nintendo wants to offer a value proposition with Switch and that is helped when the competition is more premium.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't think it means people will buy the overpriced Ps5 pro. The thing will hardly sell after 1-2 weeks. It is more likely to join psvr2. Switch 2 price will be higher, but I don't think 500 is realistic.

Last edited:

Matsuchezz

What is worrisome is not the actual price the Switch 2 ends up getting, it's the actual value-price for the technology offered by Nintendo. If they come up with a high price for old ass technology, it will be again a disappointment for me. I bought a switch, Zelda and Mario, and graphically was a let down, the price in my country was not that high but the tech behind it was old ass fuck. I ended up selling it a few months down the road.

Woopah

If you consider the different Nintendo console launch prices adjusted by inflation (NES (1989 $199, adjusted $581) → SNES (1991 $199, adjusted $450) → N64 (1996 $199, adjusted $399) → GC (2001 $199, adjusted $353) → Wii (2006 $250, adjusted $390) → Wii U (2012 $299, adjusted $409) → Switch (2017 $299, adjusted $383)) since Wii it's converging at $399 (and if you remove NES from the equation it's an average of $399 adjusted by inflation). I think they would ideally launch at $349 but I totally see them launching at $399, the converging price. I don't really see them launching higher, though.
With the OLED still at $349 I think $399 is the absolute minimum. They'll want to show that this is a next generation machine.

lestar

Switch 2 will be +$400 handheld, if nintendo is smarter than sony, they should release two skus instead of one, a $449 512GB and a $499 1TB

IAmRei

If Nintendo tried to release anything higher than $450, their man-babies fans won't be able to afford it and it will be DoA.

That's why they always target low end component and rip their fans off game prices. Effective and proven strategy
Pretty bold and unwise statement, not all are the fans are man babies, man with babies also counted. There are also lot of female fans as well. I think you are too narrow...

Everything is more expensive now. Why are folks clutching their pearls over a $700 console? JFC video cards cost upwards of $1000 for a decent* one much less the $1900 bucks the high end versions run.

If the "Switch 2: Gotcha Bitch" costs $600 so be it.
So they will get little to no sales. Sorry but you can get a 3060 or 4060 series for under $300 or under $350, a 3060ti can run everything that the ps5 base model runs. Most pc gamers don't have 4k monitors (steam survey confirms this) only wealthy graphic whores here have dual 4k screens and top of thr line $2000 video cards.

Inflation is affecting prices so why release something too expensive for people to buy. They won't sell games with out selling consoles. The 3ds made this mistake and they had to drop the price over $100 and give out free games. They I hope know better

PSYGN

Maybe, but if anything Sony just made it easier for people to justify a Switch 2 because they'll actually see the difference in their hands and not in their wallet.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
They could charge £600 and it’ll still look a good deal versus the PS5 Pro.

But nah, Nintendo actually want to sell consoles. I don’t think it’ll be anymore than £400.

Mownoc

Nintendo will charge what they think is the best price. It really has nothing to do with Sony. The Nintendo Switch never got a price cut and that's even though it is a console that's sold at a profit unlike the others.

Nintendo already price their hardware to make more profit than Sony/MS, they're not some beacon of light that tries to offer the lowest price they possibly can. They will just have a lower power machine that doesn't cost them much to make. They make bank on hardware while the others lose money.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Gold Member
I suspect a ‘pro’ version with OLED screen to release alongside a standard version but I could be dreaming.

whyman

I think Switch 2 is already around 450 dollars, 550 euros. Hopefully Nintendo does not screw EU as bad as Sony did but they probably will.

Astray

switch 2 will be $449.99 easily.
I think at most it will be $50 above this, can't see it breaking the $500 price point because then you'd invite comparisons to vastly superior tech in the PS5 and Series X. I don't think it would go below $450 because Nvidia is not gonna cut them a sweetheart deal anymore, there's a reason PS and Xbox don't work (anymore) with Nvidia and we're about to discover it.

I can also see Nintendo doing bullshit like shipping without OLED screens or using very small internal storage too.

Fbh

Gold Member
The base Ps5 isn't getting discontinued guys, you can still buy one and it will still be the main and best selling SKU for the system.
The Switch 2 is going to aim to be a mass market product intended to sell 100+ million units, it's not going to try to compete with a niche product like the Pro in terms of power, pricing or target audience. Their closest competitor in the home console market is going to be the base Ps5 which starts at $450 and in the handheld space it's going to be devices like the Steamdeck which starts at $399.

Also with the family friendly focus of the brand they'll probably want it to remain an affordable gift for kids and casual players.

Last edited:

proandrad

No, Nintendo doesn’t do niche device. It will be an underpowered device at a low enough price to sell massive volume.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
What has the price of the PS5 Pro got to do with the price of the Switch 2?
Because a price point has been set. 699 for premium systems going forward. If you think ps6 is launching for 399.99 ever again your silly.

Nintendo do can set the price for the switch 2 as high as they like since they don’t release at a loss. (Which is what the pro has now done also)
they can’t be loosing any money in it.

Nintendo values that the games they offer are exactly in line with premium fun you get from ps5 pro even more so if you look at key franchises.

Nintendo wants to make as much as they can and with that price point at 699.99 they can easily adjust their prices above what they probably were thinking by 75.00 a unit

What this thread was attempting to say is that we’re all going to suffer more now that consoles are going to be selling at no losses.

Any new consoles are going to have to prove their worth for gamers going forward as the price point with this economy is going to very hard to sell record numbers. But Nintendo can do it easier with key franchises

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It still has to compete with the base PS5 at $500/$400, but I get where you're coming from with Sony shifting the Overton Window of console pricing, so to speak.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

I dont think so. The backlash already tells them something. But if its pricey. I'm sure Nintendo fans will blame Sony and Sony will blame Xbox and Xbox will blame Sony. Mean while we'll all be skint.

readonly

Neo Member
Knowing Nvidia, they dangled a super cheap processor in front of Nintendo and once they had them by the balls they are taking them to the cleaners. 449.99 to 499.99 is my guess. In no way related to anything Sony or Microsoft are doing. Nintendo is the last console manufacturer that you actually need their console to play almost any of their games and their games are unique and great.

Top Bottom