• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Still no reviews?
This is a PS Vita game (with a PS4 port) for a franchise that hasn't got a western entry since 2008 (That 2014 game doesn't exist) and Namco Bandai doesn't seem to have sent out review copies out so your not going to get reviews for days if any.

Here's my review: It's a JRPG with Digimon! That's all you need to know or care for.Story?Characters? That's just something you have to put up with in order to train some Digimon.

Justified

So I didn't even realize this game existed until recently and a lot of my friends and people on Twitter have recommended it to me. I hear a lot of talk about how it's rich on Digimon fan service / it being a worthy game for fans of the series. I'm curious though, how specific of a fan does that entail? I used to be an incredibly huge fan of the original two Digimon Adventure series (the first one in particular hasn't aged one bit imo) but I never got to watch things like Tamers beyond a few episodes and my knowledge outside of the original anime is limited. Is it still a game I could find myself loving in terms of setting?

This game is for you

So found a great spot to scan some digimon and get XP if your in Chapter 4 atleast. The case "A Life Crisis!?" gives you access to these Digimon which are decently strong for Chapter 4 and give great XP.

Greymon
Dorugamon
Peckmon
Knightmon
BlueMeramon
I've been grinding here for...longer than I'd like to admit. :p

The anguish from the last two boss fight still burns deep, I will be ready next time

So I didn't even realize this game existed until recently and a lot of my friends and people on Twitter have recommended it to me. I hear a lot of talk about how it's rich on Digimon fan service / it being a worthy game for fans of the series. I'm curious though, how specific of a fan does that entail? I used to be an incredibly huge fan of the original two Digimon Adventure series (the first one in particular hasn't aged one bit imo) but I never got to watch things like Tamers beyond a few episodes and my knowledge outside of the original anime is limited. Is it still a game I could find myself loving in terms of setting?

If you're a fan of the first two series, I could definitely see you enjoying it. A lot of the Digimon from Adventure 1/2 are capturable/playable. I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, but I've heard that the story is designed in a way that is easy for new or lapsed Digimon fans to jump into.

This game is specifically targeted at old fans and is completely stand-alone. I can see you liking it.

L95

If you're a fan of the first two series, I could definitely see you enjoying it. A lot of the Digimon from Adventure 1/2 are capturable/playable. I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, but I've heard that the story is designed in a way that is easy for new or lapsed Digimon fans to jump into.

Yes, the game's story is it's own thing.

The story picks up around Chapter 10, if I remember correctly. I liked it, but I also couldn't understand what Kyoko was saying half the time, haha.

Yeah, Chapter 10 is where things really picked up. I look forward to seeing people in here reacting to the twists from the second half of the game.

It's not related to any of the TV series. It's a new story.

By Digimon fanservice they probably mean fans of digimons, of specific digimons, and of the idea of raising your own team of digimons

Ultimadrago

Eager to get back home to continue this.

Everyone has their pro Digimon while I'm still at all Champions! :(

Sparrow, did you ever go deep into the Move Inheritance grind when you played?

This is a PS Vita game (with a PS4 port) for a franchise that hasn't got a western entry since 2008 (That 2014 game doesn't exist) and Namco Bandai doesn't seem to have sent out review copies out so your not going to get reviews for days if any.

Here's my review: It's a JRPG with Digimon! That's all you need to know or care for.Story?Characters? That's just something you have to put up with in order to train some Digimon.

So the story and characters aren't good (or just "there")?

NotLiquid

This game is for you

This game is specifically targeted at old fans and is completely stand-alone. I can see you liking it.

By Digimon fanservice they probably mean fans of digimons, of specific digimons, and of the idea of raising your own team of digimons

Thanks for the answers guys~
Will pick up a copy when it comes out here on Friday.

I still have Rookies mostly lol.

I only got to play about 2 hours last night. I'm dying to get home and dive deeper into this.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm not a critic of any kind but so far the story isn't bad per say it's just that were here to train Digimon and not to experience a Shakespeare story if you catch my drift.

Edit:It has a better story than what you can find in Pokémon games but just ask yourself this:
Do you like JRPGs? Do you like or have an interest in Digimo? If you answer Yes to both questions than give this game a try but if you answer No to any of them than the story alone isn't going to convince you to do so.

The Developers stated that this game was made to cater to the old school fans of the series who are adults now and based on polls I seen around here and there such as this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/757436-digimon-story-cyber-sleuth/73236994

There's alot of dorment fans who came back to the fandom just to play this game.

The most direct fanservice would be from Adventure, with Agumon, Gabumon and Etemon all have their original voice actors. But this will only be meaningful if you watched it in Japanese.

Aside from that it's mostly just "featuring all your favorite Digimon".

Yeah, Chapter 10 is where things really picked up. I look forward to seeing people in here reacting to the twists from the second half of the game.

Yeah, I'm curious if people will react the way we did.

I remember not caring about it too much. I was mostly interested in digivolving a bunch of Digimon. :B

FWIW, I'm having a blast with how the story's unfolding so far (I'm at Chapter 2), though it's mainly because I enjoy the whole Detective/Finding criminals aspect of the game. Though it's worth noting, most of the hours I've played were spent on digivolving to get my favourites (Angemon, Greymon, and Gaomon with Gargomon/Growlmon/ExVeemon/BlkGreymon/BlkGarurumon/Garurumon sitting on the Farm for exp gain).

My opinion from the Japanese version was that the story and characters were really good, but it doesn't get great until the second half. The whole back half of the game is pretty wild with some good twists, and I felt that all of the cast got some good development.

Arzehn

He's talking about this.

Basically, in the Vita version, some scenes are missing voices and some quests are not available, which is weird when you consider that the original game was Vita only.

Might hold off on buying till this is fixed(if), voices are one thing but if it's missing quests that's too much.

sensui-tomo

Caved in to getting a plat sukamon, all towards the last grind to get my megas, ... I just finished the second fight with the rocker. Using gold championship as exp run.

It's not directed at me, but I'm still gonna answer.

I didn't grind that much for moves, but I did play around it a little bit to have lots of mons with some good buff moves, like Guard Charge Field and Speed Charge Field.
It is a bit annoying if the move you want is at the very opposite of the evolution tree of your Digimon, but it's not that hard to achieve, and the Platinum Shits Trio helps a lot with that.

I feel like grinding moves might be necessary in PvP, since one that grinded moves will have an advantage over one that didn't, but it's really not necessary to enjoy the game and have a good team.

With move inheritance, my main goal was to get the skill that more than doubled your next attack's power on as many Digimon as possible. Lucemon and BlackWarGreymon with that were insane. I also tried to have the group buffs always available on some Digimon, and I prioritized having a variety of elemental attacks so that I could always have type advantage.

Stuart444

Just to clarify, every time I de-digivolve the level cap gets raised by one until 99? So I can raise a trainer digimon to level 3, digivolve, de-digivolve, and cap is raised by 1? So I can keep repeating that until cap reaches 99?

Also, 200% capture for digimon just gives a small boost to base stats, right?

No, it's raised by a certain amount but not by 1. It would take too long to get to 99 that way.

Try it a few times and you'll see though.

Kinsei

Banned
Is there really no way to increase your ABI outside of evolving and devolving? A lot of the Digimon I want to get require 80 right now so it's going to be a long time before I get any of them if that's the case.

Stuart444

Is there really no way to increase your ABI outside of evolving and devolving? A lot of the Digimon I want to get require 80 right now so it's going to be a long grind if that is the case.

It's not too much of a grind, just make sure you let them reach their current max level before devolving. I believe it puts it up the most when you do that.

Again, I'll recommend: Get PlatSukamon (pref 2 or 3) to cut down significantly on the grind.

Also be careful with how many Ultimates you have early on. The more = more memory needed which can mean giving up some Digimon you may wish to keep in your party.

Later on, it's not too much of a worry though.

Is there really no way to increase your ABI outside of evolving and devolving? A lot of the Digimon I want to get require 80 right now so it's going to be a long time before I get any of them if that's the case.

IIRC, there is a special meat in the farm that gives 20 ABI, but I also recall having very, very few of them, and I can't remember how I got them.

When the Digimon is born with 200% capture rate, it starts at 5 ABI.

Unfortunately, I think that's it.

EDIT : Yeah, Platinum Shits Trio will save you a few hours of grinding.

Kinsei

Banned
It's not too much of a grind, just make sure you let them reach their current max level before devolving. I believe it puts it up the most when you do that.

Again, I'll recommend: Get PlatSukamon (pref 2 or 3) to cut down significantly on the grind.

Also be careful with how many Ultimates you have early on. The more = more memory needed which can mean giving up some Digimon you may wish to keep in your party.

Later on, it's not too much of a worry though.

IIRC, there is a special meat in the farm that gives 20 ABI, but I also recall having very, very few of them, and I can't remember how I got them.

When the Digimon is born with 200% capture rate, it starts at 5 ABI.

Unfortunately, I think that's it.

EDIT : Yeah, Platinum Shits Trio will save you a few hours of grinding.

I already have one PlatSukamon, it's how I have so many ultimates already. I'll probably grind for another two the next time I play.

I was wary about running out of party space so I left Gatomon, Aquilamon, Stingmon, ExVeemon, & Angemon as champions.

Thank you both!

How early on can I get these Platinum digimon that give me more exp? I'm on chapter 3.

Now.

Motimon > Hagurumon > Platinum Sukamon.

Venfayth

Got to play for a half hour on my lunch. I got the gear starter guy. Excited to get back and play more later!

One question, do you ever get camera control when you're walking around, or are all the areas camera locked?

Stuart444

How early on can I get these Platinum digimon that give me more exp? I'm on chapter 3.

Have you found an area with Pabumon or Motimon?

Yes?

GET THEM

the evolution is:

Pabumon -> Motimon -> Hagurumon -> PlatinumSukamon (these ones have the ability) -> Etemon (they don't) -> PlatinumNumemon (these do)

if you have 3, you can then use 2 of them to grind the 3rd to PlatNumemon during end-game grinding (and repeat until you have 3 PlatNumemon). But until then 3 PlatinumSukamon will do.

After you have them, either put 2 and your most powerful Digimon in the front line. And everyone (including support Digimon) will get bonus exp.

Once your PlatSukamon are able to fight on their own without needing a more powerful Digimon to help them, put all 3 on the front line and enjoy watching your Support Digimon level up quickly.

notes:

They stack with each other so 3 Plats = x3 bonus exp.
they stack with EXP USBs which you can get later in the game
They only need to be in the front line when the enemies are killed so you could always switch them in at the very end of a boss fight (when the boss has a sliver of hp left) for even more EXP.

Have fun!

Got to play for a half hour on my lunch. I got the gear starter guy. Excited to get back and play more later!

One question, do you ever get camera control when you're walking around, or are all the areas camera locked?

Every area I've been to so far has been locked, so I'm guessing they all are.

Kitoro

Any major differences between the PS4 and Vita versions aside from sharper visuals and a physical version for the PS4?

Any major differences between the PS4 and Vita versions aside from sharper visuals and a physical version for the PS4?

From the OP:
Q: Are there any differences between the PS4 and Vita versions?

A: Outside of the usual advantages (higher resolution vs. portability, etc.), both versions should be mostly the same. PS4 lacks support for ad-hoc, so you will be unable to battle with friends on it.

This will be the first time ive played a digimon game.

Is there a right way or wrong way to raise the monster things? or can i just go with the flow and play it how i want, learning as i go?

Just don't want to handicap myself, as i'll be trying to platinum it.

Xion_Stellar

AGITΩ

Man...I still havent gotten my preorder code emailed to me. Damnit Best Buy. But now that I'm off work for the next 2 days, I can finally start the game.

But PlatinumSukamon is fugly and a pile of platinum shit. (literally)

I don't ever want one within any sort of distance of my precious mons. I must find a better EXP boosting mon.

Stuart444

Thanks for this too. I'll definetly be using that strategy for later down the line for getting megas.

Np! There are some Megas you can't get until much later on near end of the game so they help even more for grinding those :).

But PlatinumSukamon is fugly and a pile of platinum shit. (literally)

I don't ever want one within any sort of distance of my precious mons. I must find a better EXP boosting mon.

No EXP boosting Digimon besides them.

You get EXP USBs but not until much later on. I forget which one but there is one Digimon that drops them near the end of the game. (you may also get very lucky and get it from your Digimon on the Digifarm item hunt option)

Cheska

AGITΩ;194154506 said:
Man...I still havent gotten my preorder code emailed to me. Damnit Best Buy. But now that I'm off work for the next 2 days, I can finally start the game.

Same here. I wish they had a chat service. So much easier than calling or emailing ;_;

ViciousDS

Banned
3 plat sukas in active party while everyone else uber levels to living hell in reserves.......its amazing shit....you can get digimon to level 99 in under 30 minutes from what I read lol

Top Bottom