• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I bought the game. It's probably the last Vita game I'll ever buy (at least, digitally), since Vita Update Blocker is bound to stop working rather sooner than later now.

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
So what digimon should I evolve him into to get Beelzemon in the end?

Impmon -> Wizardmon -> SkullMeramon -> Beelzemon

That's the evolution line I know for sure, but there might be others.

As a side-note, I really like how this game is upfront about the evolution requirements. Like, I don't have to look things up on the Digimon wiki to figure out how to evolve Agumon to Greymon because the game just gives me a checklist of what to do.

sensui-tomo

As a side-note, I really like how this game is upfront about the evolution requirements. Like, I don't have to look things up on the Digimon wiki to figure out how to evolve Agumon to Greymon because the game just gives me a checklist of what to do.

next game is gonna do that, then again its following digimon world and that reboot (re:digitize) so enjoy this while you can. Because everyone gonna have a sukamon next time... if we get it.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member
I've read that the EU day one DLC is somehow broken and also that cross-saving won't work if you only have DLC for one of the systems and not the other. Confirm or deny?

silva1991

Impmon>Wizardmon>Skullmeramon>Beelzemon

Much obliged.

I've read that the EU day one DLC is somehow broken and also that cross-saving won't work if you only have DLC for one of the systems and not the other. Confirm or deny?

It's true for most games that saves are only compatible if they are loaded with the same DLC. So if one version has screwed up DLC, this is most likely true.

NZerker12

The Day 1 dlc that came with physical copies is broken, I think digital is fine and as for cross-save I do not know.

Also, I can't help but remark on how "unsanitized" the localization is. Considering Digimon's's reputation in the west as a 'kids franchise' and the recent sanitized dub of Xros Wars, this game is, surprisingly, only a step below the Persona games in terms of maturity (due to the lack of death and blood and such), as if the localization team didn't care about making this game "kid-friendly". Granted, this game is also a niche title and Bamco is completely aware of this game's actual intended audience, which I'm thankful for, because while the Digimon dubs aren't usually terrible, they're still generally dumbed down and in some cases rather inconsistent in terms of localization practices.

I saw on the German Bamco twitter account that a number of people are reporting the DLC problems and they're aware of it.

EDIT: Same for UK

Gerugamesh

Neo Member
Also, I can't help but remark on how "unsanitized" the localization is. Considering Digimon's's reputation in the west as a 'kids franchise' and the recent sanitized dub of Xros Wars, this game is, surprisingly, only a step below the Persona games in terms of maturity (due to the lack of death and blood and such), as if the localization team didn't care about making this game "kid-friendly". Granted, this game is also a niche title and Bamco is completely aware of this game's actual intended audience, which I'm thankful for, because while the Digimon dubs aren't usually terrible, they're still generally dumbed down and in some cases rather inconsistent in terms of localization practices.

Digimon hasn't really stayed popular with kids after the early 00s like Pokemon did. I recall somebody from Toei or Bandai remarked that they pretty much have to rely on fans who grew up with the old series' to stay relevant, which is kinda sad I think. Though, on the bright side, I wouldn't mind if this means we'll eventually get Tamers pandering like we do with Adventure.

Drop

I saw on the German Bamco twitter account that a number of people are reporting the DLC problems and they're aware of it.

EDIT: Same for UK

Yeah, glad to see they're looking into the issue, I tried tweeting to the EU twitter account earlier without getting a reply, but after seeing the Italian one redirecting someone to the support address I sent them an e-mail about it.

MongKey

Why? There is no incentive to do this at all. It just makes the battles longer, not really challenging
I have to disagree on that. In hard you need to at least have the correct type advantage to actually win. If your digimons is at type disadvantage then they can easily die in 2-3 hits to the enemy digimons skill. You also need to mind the physical/magical attribute of skills since with their increased stats, an enemy digimon with high physical defense will reduce your digimon physical damage severely even with type advantage. Unless you grinded to mega early, hard is actually pretty challenging.

That was my experience playing through the game on Hard.

Syntsui

I have to disagree on that. In hard you need to at least have the correct type advantage to actually win. If your digimons is at type disadvantage then they can easily die in 2-3 hits to the enemy digimons skill. You also need to mind the physical/magical attribute of skills since with their increased stats, an enemy digimon with high physical defense will reduce your digimon physical damage severely even with type advantage. Unless you grinded to mega early, hard is actually pretty challenging.

You are correct. The lack of incentive is pretty much on exp/drops, which some people commented that improve, but it's such a low improvement that it's not worth at all.

Yeah, glad to see they're looking into the issue, I tried tweeting to the EU twitter account earlier without getting a reply, but after seeing the Italian one redirecting someone to the support address I sent them an e-mail about it.

Right, they recommended contacting support. We should probably do that

bandainamcoent.eu/support

LAA

Whats the deal with the dlc situation?

Bought the UK version of the game from the PSN store, so included dlc and themes and of course the game itself.

Is it only physical copies with the problem or is it affecting all Vita/PS4 versions?

When/How can I tell if the dlc content is missing?

RalchAC

Digimon hasn't really stayed popular with kids after the early 00s like Pokemon did. I recall somebody from Toei or Bandai remarked that they pretty much have to rely on fans who grew up with the old series' to stay relevant, which is kinda sad I think. Though, on the bright side, I wouldn't mind if this means we'll eventually get Tamers pandering like we do with Adventure.

Tamers had some weird and dark stuff going on. As a kid I couldn't understand what was going on in the last few episodes, where that weird virus infected the real world and used that girl energy as their source of power or something like that.

One think I've always liked about Adventure and Tamers is how they were a "kids show" but they weren't afraid of doing some more mature stuff. It's one of the reasons why I can perfectly watch and enjoy those two series despite not being part of their original target audience.

They should have kept what make the first few series succesful instead of trying to do too much different stuff which each season.

I liked the interview where the director of this game talked about "what is Digimon". I quite agreed with what he had said. Most Digimon fans did as well.

I would enjoy some kind of Tamers pandering too, but I feel like it was more nicely tied than Adventure after 02 happened. Many people was left wondering how the real and digital world managed to coexist perfectly (which should be answered by the end of Tri) when the Digidestined are adults. In Tamers both worlds stayed isolated from each other, the partners went back to their world and there was a little cliffhanger where Takato found a door to the digital world. After that, you have a binary decision. Were they able to go back to the Digital World? As a kid my thought was: totally!

So any further addition will mess with my innocent head canon :p

Tamers had some weird and dark stuff going on. As a kid I couldn't understand what was going on in the last few episodes, where that weird virus infected the real world and used that girl energy as their source of power or something like that.

One think I've always liked about Adventure and Tamers is how they were a "kids show" but they weren't afraid of doing some more mature stuff. It's one of the reasons why I can perfectly watch and enjoy those two series despite not being part of their original target audience.

They should have kept what make the first few series succesful instead of trying to do too much different stuff which each season.

I liked the interview where the director of this game talked about "what is Digimon". I quite agreed with what he had said. Most Digimon fans did as well.

I would enjoy some kind of Tamers pandering too, but I feel like it was more nicely tied than Adventure after 02 happened. Many people was left wondering how the real and digital world managed to coexist perfectly (which should be answered by the end of Tri) when the Digidestined are adults. In Tamers both worlds stayed isolated from each other, the partners went back to their world and there was a little cliffhanger where Takato found a door to the digital world. After that, you have a binary decision. Were they able to go back to the Digital World? As a kid my thought was: totally!

One of the Tamers movies takes place after the series ends so headcanon isn't really required.

MongKey

You are correct. The lack of incentive is pretty much on exp/drops, which some people commented that improve, but it's such a low improvement that it's not worth at all.
Oh, I understand where your coming from in not wanting to play through hard because of that. The lack of noticeable reward is certainly a bummer.
did it fix the glitch ?
also , it's 9 mb.
It's 9 mb? Guess I misstook it since I didn't really pay attention.

I'm finding it really hard to choose between the Vita and PS4 versions. I really like how the ps4 version looks, but apart from resolution and some textures there just isn't any difference and the vita version is portable and cheaper.

Syntsui

I'm finding it really hard to choose between the Vita and PS4 versions. I really like how the ps4 version looks, but apart from resolution and some textures there just isn't any difference and the vita version is portable and cheaper.

You can get it on PS4 and remote play it on Vita too.

Skulldead

Why? There is no incentive to do this at all. It just makes the battles longer, not really challenging

I agree with MongKey, if you don't pay attention to digimon type you can get 1-2 shot by ennemies. And make a battle longer also increase the challenge because of SP management and survivability, some digi have so few SP they can use 4 special attack then they pretty much useless. I'm really happy with the hard difficulty, it's never too frustrating and always feel enough challenging. Believe other then bosses it doesn't make normal encounter that much longer...

You can get it on PS4 and remote play it on Vita too.

Great answer. However I can't use remote play because this area is riddled with wifi networks. It just does not work here. Also; Won't be able to remote play on the go.

Guess I'm just a graphics whore. The game runs 30fps on both consoles right?

Reishiki

Banned
The main writer of Tamers is a Lovecraft writer. He also did the screenplay for Ep13 of 02, the weird Dark Ocean one. From that episode:

latest

"Innsmouth" encoded on a sign

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", encoded on the Japanese title card.

MongKey

It depends on how well you can remote play. Assuming you cannot remote play reliably and value portability above all then I would suggest the Vita version which is also cheaper like you said. After that, you can consider the PS4 version when its cheap if you want to continue playing it on there too.

Syntsui

Great answer. However I can't use remote play because this area is riddled with wifi networks. It just does not work here. Also; Won't be able to remote play on the go.

Guess I'm just a graphics whore. The game runs 30fps on both consoles right?

Smooth as fuck 60fps on PS4. it's a great great port as far as my impressions go. it's 30fps on Vita and I don't really know how smooth it is, but for portability alone it must be worth it. I'm sure there is someone here that could help you with a better impression.

grimmiq

Digivolving is confusing me..The tutorial says Digivolving a Digimon will reset it's level to 1, but increase it's max level and abilities..and De-Digivolving them will make them weaker, but increase it's max level and abilities.

Is this a translation error?

Smooth as fuck 60fps on PS4. it's a great great port as far as my impressions go. it's 30fps on Vita and I don't really know how smooth it is, but for portability alone it must be worth it. I'm sure there is someone here that could help you with a better impression.

Call me crazy but I bought it for both. With cross save I can play it at night on PS4 and carry it around when needed on Vita. Both are great overall, tho parts of Shinjuku have some frame drops.

Syntsui

Digivolving is confusing me..The tutorial says Digivolving a Digimon will reset it's level to 1, but increase it's max level and abilities..and De-Digivolving them will make them weaker, but increase it's max level and abilities.

Weaker in the sense of Champion -> Rookie, for example. By the time you level up again,they will be more powerful.

Kinsei

Banned

No, both of them are correct.

It is exactly what they said. It isn't like pokemon where you evolve at 34 and your pokemon is still level 34 after evolution.

When the digimon evolve to their next form their level goes back to one but now they'll be getting more abilities and their max level increases.

When you de-digivole you can now go to a higher max level as that digimon than you could before.

Fodder76

How is the story and combat in this game? I'm seeing mostly talk about collecting Digimon, but I'm curious how the rest of the game is.

I think Digimon's inability to keep up with Pokemon stems from a couple of things:

1. The lack of compelling handheld titles on systems that actually mattered: We all know that, aside from being very good games, Pokemon's appeal also had a lot to do with not only being able to battle and trade with other players, but also do so on the go. Digimon never had an equivalent handheld title of similar quality, and up until the DS, there was never a Digimon RPG on a mainstream handheld system, because Bandai bet on the Wonderswan and lost, instead of developing handheld games for the juggernaut that was the Game Boy line, and while the Digimon World series was neat, the games lacked consistency and were published on the PS1 instead for some reason. While the virtual pets were cheaper, they simply couldn't compete with the Game Boy Pokemon games.
  2. Early decisions that may have limited the franchise's reach towards its intended audience: Let's be honest, early Digimon was rough as all hell, especially in the art department, and it was quite clearly trying to be a bit 'edgy'. That's not a bad thing, and it certainly attracted an audience, but Pokemon was able to build itself on consistent and family-friendly design while still being engaging. That being said, in hindsight, the Pokemon anime is rather vapid, but it's engaging enough for kids who tune in on weekday mornings. While Digimon did have far more engaging TV shows, Digimon in general also suffered from some questionable localization choices.
    The entire evolution line naming scheme, for example, is dumb as hell, and I will stand by that statement. The Japanese system isn't much better, though.
  3. Digimon got a bit complicated and vague in terms of mechanics: Pokemon took the effort to establish its rules and various aspects of Pokemon in solid terms early on. Digimon was... More vague. Actual battle mechanics shift from game to game, for example, and while evolution lines in the shows were treated mostly as linear, they're all over the place in other works, and while Pokemon limited evolution lines to 3 stages, Digimon has six, with two of those being practically superfluous.

I swear I had more things to say, but I must've forgotten. But I think Bandai could retune Digimon to an audience that it seems to have gravitated towards in recent years, but that would also require modifying some rather core aspects of the franchise and discarding early localization choices, which might piss off older fans.

While keeping things relatively consistent is an admirable idea, I don't think "it's too different" was really a fault of the post-Tamers series. Frontier was actually fine until the Royal Knights showed up. Savers was fucking awesome, even if took a bit of time for the show to really get going and the notion of humans actually being able to fight Digimon was horrifically under-utilized until fucking Young Hunters of all series, where Masaru did more fighting in those last couple of episodes than his entire series combined and got to be a total badass while doing it. Xros Wars was not too shabby either, though Young Hunters was just plain awful.

To be honest, if there's any continuity I'd like Bamco to go back to, it's Savers, if only because of the timeskip stuff. Except I'd like to see Chica take on the main protagonist role instead of her bro.

Ultimadrago

I really like how easy it is to gain Inheritance Moves in this game. It's just a matter of weaving through the web and having a decent enough grinding spot.

The main writer of Tamers is a Lovecraft writer. He also did the screenplay for Ep13 of 02, the weird Dark Ocean one. From that episode:

latest

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", encoded on the Japanese title card.
So you're saying I should check this out?

seems completely sold out on amazon Germany and people are already taking advantage

.. glad I pre-ordered

Oh wow and here a friend and me just walked into MediaMarkt yesterday and bought the only two copies they had for 50€ o.o I guess they severely underestimated the interest worldwide. Of course that's annoying for everyone who wants it physical but is still a good sign that the game must sell way above expectations :)

latest

This explains so much, Tamers always felt very dark to me and now I know why. Same with the Dark Ocean part in 02, I really wish they would have expanded on that story-line :/

grimmiq

It is exactly what they said. It isn't like pokemon where you evolve at 34 and your pokemon is still level 34 after evolution.

When the digimon evolve to their next form their level goes back to one but now they'll be getting more abilities and their max level increases.

When you de-digivole you can now go to a higher max level as that digimon than you could before.

So using random numbers.

Say one of my Digimon has a max level of 40.
I digivolve them and they reset to 1 as a new Digimon, but their max is now 50.
I then de-digivolve them, they reset to 1 again as the original form, but their max is now 50 too?

That sort of thing?

Top Bottom