• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Skulldead

Digivolving is confusing me..The tutorial says Digivolving a Digimon will reset it's level to 1, but increase it's max level and abilities..and De-Digivolving them will make them weaker, but increase it's max level and abilities.

Is this a translation error?

No the Stat for max levelling seem to upgrade too by Digivolving, but soon enought you will reach the max level, wich is not enough for Digivolving again. So you'll have to De-Digivolving and Re-Digivolving again to raise level futher. It's a weird cycle...

NEO0MJ

Just bought this on the Vita. Gonna be my first Digmon RPG since Digimon World 2, and my first Digimon game overall since Digimon Battle Spirit.

Kaizu

So using random numbers.

Say one of my Digimon has a max level of 40.
I digivolve them and they reset to 1 as a new Digimon, but their max is now 50.
I then de-digivolve them, they reset to 1 again as the original form, but their max is now 50 too?

That sort of thing?

Level caps are determined by ABI points. ABI increases everytime you devolve or evolve no matter what. I think level 99 requires something like 20 ABI points or something, can't remember. ABI points also affect how much stats you can gain in digifarm but don't worry about that first. It will get clear and obvious when you play through it normally. I didn't consult any evolution guide and managed to unlock all evolution. You just sort of know what to do after a while, it's not really that complicated.

The only obtuse and miss-able thing in this game is getting rare digifarm foods and medals from V hair guy that would start appearing in weird places in every chapters after chapter 5(?). It has no effect on the story. It's just a bonus irrelevant stuff that might give you some great items that you can get later on anyway. I missed like 10 of them.

Decided I will buy the game for PS4 and try to use remote play via my router (last time this introduced audio lag, but that was a year ago). The 60fps is enough of a feature to haul me over. I'm not far away from wifi anywhere anyway.

Dragoshi1

Grinding for LadyDevimon now. Found that Ch4 place with the Greymon/Dorugamon encounters, and now I'm just grinding like crazy(the quest to help a Hagurumon).

Does this place lock out when I leave it?

Grinding for LadyDevimon now. Found that Ch4 place with the Greymon/Dorugamon encounters, and now I'm just grinding like crazy(the quest to help a Hagurumon).

Once you finish that quest you're locked out from it. So take advantage while you can.

Decided I will buy the game for PS4 and try to use remote play via my router (last time this introduced audio lag, but that was a year ago). The 60fps is enough of a feature to haul me over. I'm not far away from wifi anywhere anyway.

If this happens again try to disable HDCP in the PS4's System Settings.

MongKey

It locks out if you finish the quest.
That dungeon can be accessed again using the Digilab mirror dungeon feauture much later in the game once the quest is finished.

Justified

Lol I love the little subtle "shots, and nods" that they do. I notice a few of them. I posted the Pokemon one earlier. Here they are making fun of weebos. Cool that they have a 1:1 shot of that area too.

zRQ2Qvb.jpg
20120809Sega01.jpg

Ultimadrago

It locks out if you finish the quest.
That dungeon can be accessed again using the Digilab mirror dungeon feauture much later in the game once the quest is finished.

Is it still useful late game though? Im sure there would be another dungeoun that replaces it for grinding utility.

MongKey

Is it still useful late game though? Im sure there would be another dungeoun that replaces it for grinding utility.
Not really sure. I'm just relaying info :p

Edit: On that note though, does anyone know what happens to blue and yellow pin quests if you didn't complete it before chapter end? Does it get replaced with newer quests or it stays there forever?

Stuart444

We are currently investigating the issue with Digimon Cyber Sleuth DLC for PS4, we will keep you updated! Thank you for your reports!

https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoEU/status/695584467986075648

It looks like Bamdai Namco EU are aware of the issue with the day 1 physical DLC for EU copies. Hopefully we get a solution soon.

Ah, sorry! It was a followup question that just came to me this morning. If anyone can answer, please do~

I guess I'm asking what's late-game's "Hagurumon Dungeon"?

Late game, final dungeon.

Don't want to spoiler it but you'll know what it is because it will be a multiple floor dungeon. that is reasonably long.

If you don't care about the name being spoiled then:
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building - I used the area near the elevator where there is a save point. It's just before the roof so once you get to the roof, you can go back and find it. I can take a screenshot from the JP version if you have trouble finding it later on :p haha.

I leveled up a lot of Digimon there :p

Kaizu

Ah, sorry! It was a followup question that just came to me this morning. If anyone can answer, please do~

I guess I'm asking what's late-game's "Hagurumon Dungeon"?

The last dungeon? Especially the last few floors of it (technically, it's the second to last dungeon but real last dungeon has no random encounter). Besides that, most dungeons have a relative ok scale in terms of experience gain after chapter 10 or so. If you have a free type rookie digimon, you can unlock the last hacking skill that triggers encounters directly after every use so just find some random places with ultimate levels digimon and stand beside an access point while spamming that hacking skill. It's not as efficient as the last dungeon though, I could cut my play time by 10 hours if I just did all my grindings in the last dungeon.

Reishiki

Banned
So you're saying I should check this out?

Tamers or 02?

I thought Tamers was pretty good, but I find the dub pretty hard going for it. I mean, I get the 90s-era cheese and stuff, but The Biggest Dreamer was the fucking best.

PIcked the game up last night just after midnight and started properly this afternoon. Picked Terriermon because Terriermon is totally adorable, no other reason.

Ultimadrago

Thanks guys, making me consider just working on a team closer to the end. Though I can still do some Inheritance Skill grinding in Haguru's so I'll stick with it for a bit longer.

Digivolving is confusing me..The tutorial says Digivolving a Digimon will reset it's level to 1, but increase it's max level and abilities..and De-Digivolving them will make them weaker, but increase it's max level and abilities.

Is this a translation error?

No. Every time you digivolve, your max level and ability increases in comparison to what you had previously. While de-digivolving further increases your max levels when stacked with digivolution.

For instance, I had two PlatinumSukamons that I had to acquire by de-digivolving one of my rookies, as a result, their max levels are in the 50s compared to my final PlatinumSukamon (which I acquired by scanning data) whose max levels are only in the 30s.

Kouriozan

Tamers or 02?

I thought Tamers was pretty good, but I find the dub pretty hard going for it. I mean, I get the 90s-era cheese and stuff, but The Biggest Dreamer was the fucking best.

PIcked the game up last night just after midnight and started properly this afternoon. Picked Terriermon because Terriermon is totally adorable, no other reason.
Totally agree, I'm French so I watched the French dub, it was missing a few final episodes (or the very last one) so I had to watch them subbed.
Loving Biggest Dreamer <3

AyanFaust

Banned
Man, the first boss?
Growlmon
was super hard.

First encounter where typings made a huge difference. Went in with a team of straight Vaccine types, and while he still hit hard, he was hitting for 0.5~.75 and I was regularly hitting for x2.0

Also, anyone know when we'll get some data on how well the game is doing? I'm really hoping that word of mouth got it some decent sales over here.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Finally got it and the game is downloading as we speak...though I had to delete games to make room for it meaning I will have to get a new Vita memory card.

But either way, I am just glad that I have the game and I can't wait to play it when I finish Pokémon Yellow.

MongKey

First encounter where typings made a huge difference. Went in with a team of straight Vaccine types, and while he still hit hard, he was hitting for 0.5~.75 and I was regularly hitting for x2.0

Also, anyone know when we'll get some data on how well the game is doing? I'm really hoping that word of mouth got it some decent sales over here.
PAL sales thread next week should tell us about retail PS4 sales in the UK. If the game also charted in the Top 10 PSN bestseller on both PS4 and Vita charts then one could assume the game is selling decently digitally. I'm no expert though.
Wait until you meet the boss with
Devimon
. I was actually floored when I got Game Over in a Digimon game.
Yeah, thank god I raised some Digimons with type advantage in the farm.
Geckomon
was my MVP, did not expect that lol.

Kinsei

Banned
I got my first Mega, Diaboromon! I also almost have Lucemon and Black Metal Garurumon. I just need to up my Int and Def stats on them a little bit.

sensui-tomo

I got my first Mega, Diaboromon! I also almost have Lucemon and Black Metal Garurumon. I just need to up my Int and Def stats on them a little bit.
What chapter are you on? I feel like I'm waaaay overgrinding at this point, I've got about 15 ultimate, 2 megas, and then champs , chapter 8 or 9 at the moment. (megas are kazuhamon, and tigervespamon) close to getting imperialdramon too.

Stuart444

Hopefully this will fix the Dianamon issue as well.

It won't. It's specifically talking about the missing content day 1 UK/EU buyers have. The missing Dianamon thing is a separate issue.

The fix they are likely working on is making sure the PS4 DLC is uploaded and then tying it to the day 1 codes regardless of if they have been used yet or not.

The Dianamon thing is likely totally separate since it affects both UK/EU and NA folk.

sensui-tomo

So i just got metal etamon from a meteormon ..... all those cheesy lines from the american dub are flooding back at the moment.

What chapter are you on? I feel like I'm waaaay overgrinding at this point, I've got about 15 ultimate, 2 megas, and then champs , chapter 8 or 9 at the moment. (megas are kazuhamon, and tigervespamon) close to getting imperialdramon too.
I'm on chapter 13 and I still don't have a mega, though I've got quite a few ultimates

RalchAC

I think I will have to wait until my birthday (early March) to get the game, hopefully I don't miss the pre-order DLC since Bamco said the Vita version bonuses should last a month since release.

I signed the petition, so I'm not planning to wait for a sale. As soon as I get some extra $$$, I'll be there.

I think Digimon's inability to keep up with Pokemon stems from a couple of things:

1. The lack of compelling handheld titles on systems that actually mattered: We all know that, aside from being very good games, Pokemon's appeal also had a lot to do with not only being able to battle and trade with other players, but also do so on the go. Digimon never had an equivalent handheld title of similar quality, and up until the DS, there was never a Digimon RPG on a mainstream handheld system, because Bandai bet on the Wonderswan and lost, instead of developing handheld games for the juggernaut that was the Game Boy line, and while the Digimon World series was neat, the games lacked consistency and were published on the PS1 instead for some reason. While the virtual pets were cheaper, they simply couldn't compete with the Game Boy Pokemon games.
  2. Early decisions that may have limited the franchise's reach towards its intended audience: Let's be honest, early Digimon was rough as all hell, especially in the art department, and it was quite clearly trying to be a bit 'edgy'. That's not a bad thing, and it certainly attracted an audience, but Pokemon was able to build itself on consistent and family-friendly design while still being engaging. That being said, in hindsight, the Pokemon anime is rather vapid, but it's engaging enough for kids who tune in on weekday mornings. While Digimon did have far more engaging TV shows, Digimon in general also suffered from some questionable localization choices.
    The entire evolution line naming scheme, for example, is dumb as hell, and I will stand by that statement. The Japanese system isn't much better, though.
  3. Digimon got a bit complicated and vague in terms of mechanics: Pokemon took the effort to establish its rules and various aspects of Pokemon in solid terms early on. Digimon was... More vague. Actual battle mechanics shift from game to game, for example, and while evolution lines in the shows were treated mostly as linear, they're all over the place in other works, and while Pokemon limited evolution lines to 3 stages, Digimon has six, with two of those being practically superfluous.

I swear I had more things to say, but I must've forgotten. But I think Bandai could retune Digimon to an audience that it seems to have gravitated towards in recent years, but that would also require modifying some rather core aspects of the franchise and discarding early localization choices, which might piss off older fans.

Pokemon is the perfect storm as far as multimedia franchises go. I think the biggest flaws in Bandai strategy was the fact that they were trying to push the WonderSwan which was never released in the West during the time when handhelds actually mattered.

Digimon World 1-3 were PS1 games that were released in the West after the PS2 launched IIRC.

Digimon World, while appreciated by many people, is much more complicated that, let's say Pokemon. I would say the "most appealing" game of those 3 (for a kid) was Digimon World 3, but even then the evolutions line were a pain in the ass for somebody like my young self who didn't want his Guilmon to evolve into a Mega that wasn't Gallantmon. It's the kind of stuff that I've started to appreciate much more as I've got older though. The multiple evolution lines are awesome and fill my minmaxing itch much more than catching them all.

Their current strategy is a good one:

Digimon Story: Games with a turn based battle system.
Digimon World: Tamagochi-like games like the original Digimon World.

While keeping things relatively consistent is an admirable idea, I don't think "it's too different" was really a fault of the post-Tamers series. Frontier was actually fine until the Royal Knights showed up. Savers was fucking awesome, even if took a bit of time for the show to really get going and the notion of humans actually being able to fight Digimon was horrifically under-utilized until fucking Young Hunters of all series, where Masaru did more fighting in those last couple of episodes than his entire series combined and got to be a total badass while doing it. Xros Wars was not too shabby either, though Young Hunters was just plain awful.

To be honest, if there's any continuity I'd like Bamco to go back to, it's Savers, if only because of the timeskip stuff. Except I'd like to see Chica take on the main protagonist role instead of her bro.

I dunno. I missed the chemistry between a Digimon and its human partner and how they supported each other. I think Tamers hit the perfect balance when it comes to human interacion.

Savers was quite good in my book. I tried to watch Xross Wars but it didn't click TBH.

One of the Tamers movies takes place after the series ends so headcanon isn't really required.

What if the movie is worse than my head canon? You know, I don't want to betray me 11 years old self lol.

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing that most Digimon have their signature attack animated to look anime accurate. When I got Leomon last night I was so stoked that Fist of the Beast King was animated perfectly.

I think I finished Chapter 2, but I digivolved Terriermon to Gargomon and Wanyamon to Gaomon.
Aiming to add Gatomon, Impmon, and Renamon to my team.

Also started making use of the DigiFarm. Surprised how easy it is to level up your Digimon while doing other things.

L95

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing that most Digimon have their signature attack animated to look anime accurate. When I got Leomon last night I was so stoked that Fist of the Beast King was animated perfectly.

Yes. Yes! It's really great.

Top Bottom