• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster - PS5/Series X|S Tech Review - An RE Engine Overhaul At 60FPS!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Capcom's 2006 cult classic gets the remaster treatment, as rebuilt using RE Engine. Deluxe Remaster's upgrades are stark in comparison to the original Xbox 360 release - but can PS5, Series X and S run it all at 60 frames per second? Tom finds out.

00:00 Introduction
01:41 Xbox 360 Recap
02:47 Original versus Remaster Visual Comparison
05:16 Series S vs Series X Visual Comparison
07:00 Frame-Rate tests
09:42 Verdict

Last edited:

GHG

dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Original missions / mall layout faithfully kept
- Every facet of the visuals rebuilt with RE engine
- Materials, environments, hair etc get a modern overhaul
- Water surfaces do SSR now where there was no reflection on X360

- OG Dead Rising on X360 targeted 30 FPS but could buckle under stress with drops and tearing

- PS5/SX target Native 4K and 60 FPS
- Series S runs at 1080p with a 1080p HUD and drops texture quality over PS5/SX
- Anti aliasing, filtering, grass quality and shadows also take a hit on Series S

- 60fps is not entirely held down in stress areas on consoles, most areas are 60 but areas with extreme zombie counts can drop
- When it drops, PS5 has an advantage ( one area where SX drops to 45~, PS5 is 53~)
- No DRS, DF thinks DRS would have been good to smooth out the drops, otherwise VRR displays will also benefit
- Series S runs similarly to SX in similar areas but its drop in visual settings is notable, especially in cut-scenes

Last edited:

mrcroket

It seems that the game suffers from frame drops when it has to show a lot of zombies on screen, I guess the RE Engine is not good at CPU intensive tasks.

It seems that the game suffers from frame drops when it has to show a lot of zombies on screen, I guess the RE Engine is not good at CPU intensive tasks.
Yes but why would the PS5 performs 10% better in CPU intensive tasks ? It has less cores and is clocked lower, PS5 has around 10% less CPU performance than XSX so the Xbox should actually performs 10% better. XSX loses around 20% CPU performance compared to PS5. This is quite big.

Shouldn't some journalists investigate that? instead of their usual, like here, "curiously".

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes but why would the PS5 performs 10% better in CPU intensive tasks ? It has less cores and is clocked lower, PS5 has around 10% less CPU performance than XSX so the Xbox should actually performs 10% better. XSX loses around 20% CPU performance compared to PS5. This is quite big.

Shouldn't some journalists investigate that? instead of their usual, like here, "curiously".
It has the same amount of CPU cores and the difference in clock speed is marginal if both are using HT/SMT (XSX does down clock in that scenario). XSX|S like Xbox One before it likely has a greater hit from a fully virtualised solution / APIs with greater overhead compared to PlayStation…

Imtjnotu

PS5 and XSX have the same core count

It has the same amount of CPU cores and the difference in clock speed is marginal if both are using HT/SMT (XSX does down clock in that scenario). XSX|S like Xbox One before it likely has a greater hit from a fully virtualised solution / APIs with greater overhead compared to PlayStation…

PS5 and XSX have the same core count
No. PS5 has 6.5 cores while XSX has 7 cores (available to games). When combined with slight clocks difference XSX has about 11% (10.7) more CPU power. For reference this is a bit more than PS5 Pro CPU overclock vs PS5.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No. PS5 has 6.5 cores while XSX has 7 cores (available to games). When combined with slight clocks difference XSX has about 11% (10.7) more CPU power. For reference this is a bit more than PS5 Pro CPU overclock vs PS5.
When SMT is enabled no, 3.8 GHz (so 50 MHz lower than Pro’s boost) is only XSX’s CPU clock speed when you disable SMT otherwise it is 3.6 GHz.

You do raise a good point about the Pro, it has a higher clock speed in boost mode with SMT on so for well threaded games (that do make use of more than 8 threads) PS5 Pro should have an even bigger boost.

Not sure what is the difference in cores available to games nowadays (PS5’s I/O offloads more from the CPU than on the XSX|S shortening the gap).

Then again maybe PS5 APIs have that much less overhead compared to XSX|S ;).

mrcroket

Because it is known why, Xbox uses an API based on DirectX 12, intended to be a hardware agnostic API, while PS5 uses an API developed specifically for the console hardware.

So low-level optimizations are easier to perform on Playstation than on Xbox (which mainly affect CPU performance) and there is no incentive for developers to invest more time in optimizing for Xbox when PS5 is the leading platform.

Md Ray

Based on a quick look at the PC version running a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, it looks like that section is GPU-bound. What? PS5 has less CPU cores? All current-gen console CPUs have exact core/thread count i.e. 8C/16T. PS5 is 3.5GHz, XSX is 3.6GHz. That's like nothing.

We also know why the PS5 outperforms the Series X, as explained here:

Developers have spoken to Digital Foundry and provided some insights. Essentially, Sony's shader compiler is much faster and more optimized compared to Microsoft's, allowing the PS5 to better utilize its hardware. Additionally, the PS5’s low-level API is also much faster than the console version of DX12.

Gonzito

This game has an issue on pc that is driving me crazy. When using DLSS or any type of anti aliasing combined with Depth of field, the game becomes a jaggie mess. As soon as I remove depth of field, the game looks crisp as heck, the problem is that removing DOF makes the custscenes look really bad, because of the camera angles being so close to characters, it just doesnt work. I have seen this happening too with other games lately like the latest yakuzas and some sony games. I hate when this happens because I dont like aliasing in my games goddammit

Anyway, the remaster is great apart from that, I had a good time with it

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS5 has around 10% less CPU performance than XSX so the Xbox should actually performs 10% better.
For CPUs - clock-scaling only maps to performance linearly in single-threaded workloads, when limited by compute.
Also worth noting that the clock difference is only 3% when fully multithreaded.

But all that aside - single digit %s in CPU compute are all but immaterial next to software-stack differences - which can easily account for much more than 20% (in either direction) and we've had lots of examples of that throughout all last 3 generations (where CPUs were loosely speaking - identical in terms of architecture). Basically there's nothing surprising about this.

Investigate what specifically?
That CPUs perform differently when you throw different software constraints at that?

No. PS5 has 6.5 cores while XSX has 7 cores (available to games).
Even if taking that at face value (load balancing 'half' a CPU core is a lot less - clear cut - than cutting of entire cores, this is extremely unlikely to materialise into an actual difference outside of very specific edge cases (where utilization is approaching 100% on 'available' cores - ie. less than 1% of real world application cases.
Basically - suppose that exact 10% advantage exists in fully loaded multi-threaded workloads - when it applies to 1% of your frame - you just gained back... a whopping 17microseconds.

intbal

If it was a remaster of the old 360 code sure, but this seems to be a remake on a modern engine with everything build from the ground up (lel) so the result is both decent and expected.
This game isn't attractive enough to have performance problems.
It's a poor effort.

Stuart360

The fact that both PS5 and XSX are native 4k, the frame drops are certainly cpu related.

And damn at the textures on the XSS. This must be the biggest difference so far in terms of texture quality on the XSS vs its big brothers.

Darsxx82

Native 4K resolution? I don't know, I find this aspect hard to believe. REengine on console has never worked with native resolution and we have seen several occasions where DF did not get this aspect right in some RE analysis.

I guess Capcom saw that it achieved the target of 60fps at native 4K very decently and decided to go for that solution.

Darsxx82

The fact that both PS5 and XSX are native 4k, the frame drops are certainly cpu related.

And damn at the textures on the XSS. This must be the biggest difference so far in terms of texture quality on the XSS vs its big brothers.
Curiously, there is a similar example and with the same REngine graphics engine. The inexplicable case of SFVI where even the base PS4 had better textures and when fighting games like MK1 and Tekken 8 had very very good XSS versions.

I think it is a clear case of Capcom's disdain and neglect with XSS optimization.

Caio

lol. it doesn't go below 53 on ps5 in the video,
"small advantage" my ass
if you are not able take the balls out of your throat, why bother doing these threads
I would have put it a bit more diplomatically, but your style made me smile! To be fair, if it really doesn’t drop below 53 FPS on the PS5, that’s not exactly a tiny difference. Anyway, I’ll give it a spin on my XSX; I’m getting older, and my eyes probably won’t even notice those frame drops during the more chaotic moments LOL :D

Zathalus

They have already, the clock speed difference is only 100mhz but the PS5 API has way lower overhead when it comes to draw calls. There is no mystery here.

Why does the main character look 10-20 years older in the remaster? He's also much broader than he was in the original game.
Typical woke trash. They act like modern audiences won't tolerate a young attractive male so they make all of them ugly now. They really need to stop catering to such a small demographic of non-gamers. Bring back Hot Frank!

Well.... comparatively hotter... dude's always looked dumpy.

Stuart360

Yeah i dont like how they made Frank look like he's in his late 40's. Young looking Frank kind of worked with his douche attitude. Old Frank with the same attuitude feels more like -

2ievfk.jpg

Darsxx82

They have already, the clock speed difference is only 100mhz but the PS5 API has way lower overhead when it comes to draw calls. There is no mystery here.
Even more so in a generation where it is typical to see games on PC and also on consoles that improve up to 20-30+% in CPU intensive moments with post-launch patches.

It is the typical game where the Studio understands that it has met a general target on all platforms and does not see the need for an extra effort on any of them.

In XSS it is once again Capcom demonstrating total neglect in XSS in the style of SFVI.

JaksGhost

Interestingly, they don't call it a "small advantage" in the video either:

Z80nOuE.jpeg

2ws1w9x.jpeg
And these are the direct quotes from the article version:
For a game targeting PS5, Series X and Series S it's also surprising to see that none of the three consoles can lock perfectly to 60fps. The first playable encounter with zombies sets the tone on Series X, where at the back of the mall we go down to the 45fps line as long as all enemies stay visible on-screen. The game doesn't appear to rely on dynamic resolution scaling, so there's no flexibility for Series X to adjust here. Moments like this are uncommon, but it might be an early sign of how gameplay will dip at the extremes in later missions as well. Curiously, testing PS5 in the exact same spot shows a clear performance lead on Sony's machine, going down to the low 50s at worst.
There are rare moments on PS5 and Series X that dip beyond this, such as the outdoors park area at the mall's centre that drops into the high 50s or close-up alpha effects in the helicopter intro sequence that trigger big drops on each console. Otherwise it's the extreme zombie count that is most likely to topple frame-rates on each, with PS5 holding a clear performance lead overall.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

You are 4 year late to the party to discus this lol. The PS5 has outperformed the XSX in performance with the majority of the game releases in these 4 years.

I'm not sure why people are still shocked?

Shin-Ra

I kinda assumed they’d just be doing a checkerboard 4K, maybe c2160 and ~c1800 for Quality/Performance modes so native 2160’s more ambitious than I expected.

What was disappointing in the pre-release official screenshots was the mixture of low-res textures and dithering:

Ground/stone textures
jTWLEbi.jpeg

Skin between the mask and hat
Oq5ZQmf.jpeg

This is the most obvious dithering and some more suspect textures
uEQT26j.jpeg

Obviously your focus isn’t as strong on environment assets when evading danger outside the safe room but there’s a base asset quality you’d expect to be quite a lot higher than this now with upwards of 16GB RAM and SSD streaming.

SweetTooth

Gold Member

PS5 has lots of dedicated HW for decompression that offloads tons of these tasks from the main CPU.

shamoomoo

That depends, unless this engine is using SMT,the frequency of the PS5 and Series X are the same. If not,the Series X CPU is clocked faster.

Top Bottom