• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Dead Rising Deluxe Remaster - PS5/Series X|S Tech Review - An RE Engine Overhaul At 60FPS!

Darsxx82

You are 4 year late to the party to discus this lol. The PS5 has outperformed the XSX in performance with the majority of the game releases in these 4 years.

I'm not sure why people are still shocked?

Example of the tipical selective memory that rejects the existence of games where XSX wins and leads you to try to convince people of that parallel reality😂😂

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You are 4 year late to the party to discus this lol. The PS5 has outperformed the XSX in performance with the majority of the game releases in these 4 years.

We missed you in the Space Marine 2 DF topic with these hot takes, snake (y)

I kinda assumed they’d just be doing a checkerboard 4K, maybe c2160 and ~c1800 for Quality/Performance modes so native 2160’s more ambitious than I expected.

Yeah, it's probably the first RE engine game pushing native pixels, all previous one's (RE2/3/4 remakes, Village, Dragon's Dogma 2) use their own version of checker-board style rendering.

a clearly small performance lead lol

Updated the summary (y)

Y'all are welcome to make these threads too.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
f48e09a76105cf5733ad9ef9ce6e090f.gif

Brilliant post. Sums up every Digital Foundry thread.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
This is the most obvious dithering and some more suspect textures
Dither pattern in this shot looks like dithered-transparency cross-fade (standard practice in last 2 decades of games on all platforms to do this for near-camera object obstruction, also LOD cross-fades) - there are noticeable cut-offs that don't correspond to anything visible in the scene.
Ie. I don't think this has anything to do with assets or resolution.

But I see what you mean about low-res textures in the bg. - it's certainly an... interesting choice of shots for promotional material.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

We missed you in the Space Marine 2 DF topic with these hot takes, snake (y)

You discovered the reason why he doesn't remember those cases.🤷🏻

Yeah, it's probably the first RE engine game pushing native pixels, all previous one's (RE2/3/4 remakes, Village, Dragon's Dogma 2) use their own version of checker-board style rendering.

SFVI also use cheker-board style rendering with REngine......
I don't know, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Tom was wrong here. Other places indicate that Ch was used.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You discovered the reason why he doesn't remember those cases.🤷🏻

SFVI also use cheker-board style rendering with REngine......
I don't know, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Tom was wrong here. Other places indicate that Ch was used.

And you and adamsapple adamsapple have forgotten were the PS5 has most performance or even DF wins since launch. The fact is that the XSX isn’t really a better designed console at all.

But lets pretend that that SM2 is somehow proof of XSX being better. Talking about selective memory…an illness Xbox fans always had.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

And you and adamsapple adamsapple have forgotten were the PS5 has most performance or even DF wins since launch. The fact is that the XSX isn’t really a better designed console at all.

But lets pretend that that SM2 is somehow proof of XSX being better. Talking about selective memory…an illness Xbox fans always had.
I recommend Dark Matter to you, it is a TV series about parallel realities that you are going to like...😂

SKYF@ll

It's been four years since both the PS5 and XSX were released, and I think we all understand the performance.
99% of games on the PS5 and XSX benchmark at the same level as the Zen2 + RTX2070s (RX6700). = 9-11 TFflops
*For PCs with insufficient VRAM (8GB), the PS5 and XSX will outperform.
Whether we play on either console, we get roughly the same experience.

Vick

Gold Member
GYnNYCHWoAEyGyp

wABioYR.gif

7I04mzY.gif

Interesting how RT reflections appear to be substantially higher quality than the usual RE Engine RT reflections I’ve seen in other games on any platform/settings.
Looks like Capcom finally felt compelled to bother upgrading their implementation?
In GIF format it’s almost entirely lost, and it was such an insanely low-res picture to begin with, but trees in the second comparison appear to be reflected with their entire detail preserved, a far cry from your usual RE RT water reflections.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I recommend Dark Matter to you, it is a TV series about parallel realities that you are going to like...😂

Good way ignoring and reacting with nonsense. We know by now that the PS5 had a performance advantage this gen in majority of the games Nd thats nothing new.

Maybe you are new this gen, but is not shocking. A few games on Xbox don’t change that suddenly.

For CPUs - clock-scaling only maps to performance linearly in single-threaded workloads, when limited by compute.
Also worth noting that the clock difference is only 3% when fully multithreaded.

But all that aside - single digit %s in CPU compute are all but immaterial next to software-stack differences - which can easily account for much more than 20% (in either direction) and we've had lots of examples of that throughout all last 3 generations (where CPUs were loosely speaking - identical in terms of architecture). Basically there's nothing surprising about this.

Investigate what specifically?
That CPUs perform differently when you throw different software constraints at that?

Even if taking that at face value (load balancing 'half' a CPU core is a lot less - clear cut - than cutting of entire cores, this is extremely unlikely to materialise into an actual difference outside of very specific edge cases (where utilization is approaching 100% on 'available' cores - ie. less than 1% of real world application cases.
Basically - suppose that exact 10% advantage exists in fully loaded multi-threaded workloads - when it applies to 1% of your frame - you just gained back... a whopping 17microseconds.
Well on principle I agree with you and most games are still GPU bound.

But some games are very well multithreaded and half a core could in theory create a big difference in framerate if the game is completely CPU bound in a scene. And we know those consoles have pretty weak CPUs: underclocked mobile Zen 2 variants.
wABioYR.gif

Interesting how RT reflections appear to be substantially higher quality than the usual RE Engine RT reflections I’ve seen in other games on any platform/settings.
Looks like Capcom finally felt compelled to bother upgrading their implementation?
In GIF format it’s almost entirely lost, and it was such an insanely low-res picture to begin with, but trees in the second comparison appear to be reflected with their entire detail preserved, a far cry from your usual RE RT water reflections.
That's Ray Traced reflections. With one of the highest quality we have seen on a console.

tommib

Gold Member
GYnNYCHWoAEyGyp

wABioYR.gif

7I04mzY.gif

Vick

Gold Member
That's Ray Traced reflections. With one of the highest quality we have seen on a console.
I haven't played Spider-Man 2 admittedly, but as far as I know these actually the best we've seen on a console. There's detailed single leaves of trees far in the distance, outside the windows, behind Frank.

Surely, by far the best RT Reflections out of RE Engine. This bodes really well for RE games Pro support, and future Capcom games.

Technically there isn’t.
200w.gif

Very interesting. So there might be a chance for RT shadows as well?
Actually, I believe I can see additional shadows in the outdoor comparison, so perhaps not RT but simply more of them.

Also, "From shadows, to transparencies and Ray tracing not available on xbox or ps5 amateur or PC"

That's the cool part.

Awful timing dude.. coming across as:

00Hqy0C.gif

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Clear win for ps5 on this one. That speed of the gpu helping out here i guess and all the other magical stuff that I don't understand. Decompression blocks etc.

FireFly

Is there actual data on this? This is the most recent summary I can find.

shamoomoo

GYnNYCHWoAEyGyp

wABioYR.gif

7I04mzY.gif

There's slightly more geometry on the Pro.

adamsapple

Is there actual data on this? This is the most recent summary I can find.

Oh man, I remember this guy. People complain when I use a word here or there, but this chart is so brazen, it makes me blush, lol.

Just using one example, he put Avengers in the 'no significant difference' category. Avengers on PS5 runs with CB (i-e half resolution on one axis) and native on Xbox. The difference in IQ between the two is like the recent differences between PS5 and PS5 Pro in games like Rebirth.

While the performance differences are 'minimal and barely noticeable'.

b0vZWJ1.png

'No significant difference' my ass, lol.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Oh man, I remember this guy. People complain when I use a word here or there, but this chart is so brazen, it makes me blush, lol.

Just using one example, he put Avengers in the 'no significant difference' category. Avengers on PS5 runs with CB (i-e half resolution on one axis) and native on Xbox. The difference in IQ between the two is like the recent differences between PS5 and PS5 Pro in games like Rebirth.

While the performance differences are 'minimal and barely noticeable'.

b0vZWJ1.png

'No significant difference' my ass, lol.
I remember that list well and how the author tried to present himself as a neutral person while tons of people appeared correcting him for the endless inconsistencies. Not only did he include "his criteria" in terms of evaluating differences, but he also ignored graphic modes and situations where the DRS was clearly different. Obviously he ended up giving up on making more lists....:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Lol both of you fighting this uphill battle, when is known for 4 years right now that the PS5 has the majority of the games that performed better over the XSX. The fact that there are just a few cases were the XSX has better performance or overall better version is way less. It shows that what devs said from the beginning and shows what Cerny said. They can achieve better results with better software and hardware instead of just throwing in a better GPU and pray for it to handle it by itself. Offloading a lot of tasks from the CPU is why the performance advantage is on the PS5 side with somethimes even graphics advantages on top of it also.

adamsapple

We really fighting about a remaster?

IKR.

RE engine is GOAT and all but Capcom really didn't need to use a fixed native 4K for this version. DRS or their usual checker-board would have ironed out any drops on either platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom