• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Zedark

A very impressive machine. I wonder how low they can get the price: there are so many custom methods associated with production that probably drive up the cost a lot, for example the Hovis method for matching the power draw of the chip to the natural variation in the chip. Combine that with the fact that this machine seems to challenge top-fo-the-line computer graphics and uses sophisticated software solutions to enhance the experience, I can't see it be any lower than $500, and I would personally wager a $600 price tag. This really is a premium system, and will likely have a premium price tag.

Xbox One Scorpio and Ps4 Pro Motherboard comparison

4N6gx2rfRwkLEJLU.huge

digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-a-return-to-form-for-xbox-149146273149.png

Just so you know, every time you've posted the scorpio motherboard the link looks broken from my end.

thuway

I wonder if upcoming consoles will also have two prong situations. One maching at a mainstream price - the higher end model at a "premium".

Gamezone

Gold Member
I hope the price is good. I just bought a $500 gaming PC, and it's pretty much capable of running every game on ultra, 1080p and 60fps.

Starfield

I am going to buy this thing even tho I have a PC with a 1080 because

if you tell the girls "I have a GTX 1080 in my PC" they just gonna give you weird looks but if you tell them you got a Xbox Scorpio hooked up on your TV they gonna be all over me.

MikeBison

Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif

Not tinfoil hat at all. Just smart.

No company is dumb enough to risk negative press for the months leading up to E3 for a 'PUNK'D WE TOTALLY GOT YOU GUYZ' moment.

MS already suffered the bad end of negative perception at the launch of the X1. Most of the shit that filtered down to the average consumer wasn't even true or wasn't true anymore after the U-turn, but that didn't matter. Because it ain't about the truth, it's about what people believe.

LordOfChaos

Thinking about it a little longer, DX12 had already reduced CPU-GPU batch submission overhead by near 10fold over DX11. So while "halving the CPU load" of DX12 sounds impressive - what total percentages are we talking about though? Going from 10% CPU load to 5? DX12 overhead already was much smaller than high level APIs before it. Reducing DX12 load by 50% != freeing half the CPU.

Needs more than marketingspeak to know.

Gitaroo

I don't understand something and maybe someone more techy can help me out.

DF says that because DX12 is (built in?) that they will be able to something (not sure the benefit) in 10 to 12 processed instead of 1000s. What does that mean and how will it affect my games? The presenter seemed pretty impressed by how they did it so I'd like a little more info on it.

sounds more like PS2 emotion engine compare to Xbox OG stufss lol. I think this is probably already the case for PS4 honestly.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
"Features system-wide downsampling for games which render above 1080p. This improves the image quality for people using 1080p displays."

Whudda thunk that'd be a good idea?

Sony actually said this before release too but then things got messy. Sony really need to fix that up though and it seems Microsoft has learned from them on that one

Barzul

if you tell the girls "I have a GTX 1080 in my PC" they just gonna give you weird looks but if you tell them you got a Xbox Scorpio hooked up on your TV they gonna be all over me.

Ok I laughed at this.

Fliesen

The DF article. Its stated that it more than likely will be more than PS4 Pro due to all the bells and whistle it will have. I believe the Pro is 399 at the moment.

to be fair. With 100% certainty, it's gonna be more than a PS4 pro but not (only) because of Microsoft's (possibly) aggressive pricing, but because of Sony certainly undercutting the price if they were to go for $ 399.

Yjynx

Ahh one more thing before I'm out.

It'd be more than $399 for sure. I'm willing to be crucified and shame quote on this for sure.

leeh

... of unoptimized DX12 code. This sounds like nice for UWP apps, but doesn't mean it runs optimized Xbox One code 50% faster.
Doesn't matter if it's optimised or not, CPU is still doing less even if you optimise it. Like in the video, it's only for DX12 games, which more are these days.

Majine

Banned

I told some girls I have a Nintendo Switch and they beat me up and stole my car.

wachie

Jaguar and a Polaris barely hitting 6TF (because that was promised) screams underwhelming. I'm not disappointed by the GPU much more so than the CPU. Heck, I feel pity for the PS4 Pro GPU for having to work with those cores, this is an even beefier GPU again stuck with those shitty cores.

I called the following

Polaris GPU
(not) Zen cores
GDDR5X
12GB
no ESRAM
Forza 5/6 at 4K 60fps

while people like AmyS, Proelite and others argued for Vega, Zen, HBM etc. I expected Microsoft to spring a surprise on atleast one of those fronts hence the disappointment. Today feels just by the numbers, actually barely by the numbers. If this isnt priced at $399 then its ripe for Sony to take the upper console segment by just dropping the price on the Pro.

Gitaroo

or you hook up your pc to your tv like I do... I am more surprised that my friends actually thought they are looking at a xbox one game because they are holding a xbox one controller when games are launched from a windows desktop lol.

Caayn

Sony actually said this before release too but then things got messy. Sony really need to fix that up though and it seems Microsoft has learned from them on that one
This has actually been the standard. Xbox 360 downsamples games by default as well, more console do that. It's just the PS4 Pro that fuck up on that front.

Anyone here who isn't already part of the Xbox One family planning on picking up a Scorpio? I gave my Xbox One away last year but depending on the first party output this E3 Scoprio might be a good system to jump back in with. I only really miss Sunset Overdrive and Halo 5, I still have access to lots of other Xbox One games on PC.

TalonJH

Do we really think MS has a tonne of great exclusives that they've managed to keep under-wraps and are close to completion after years of disappointing at E3? Can't see it changing tbh. And anything cool they do have to show off is going to be 18-24 months away.

I assume they have the games they've shown(Sea of Thieves, Crackdown, Phantom Dust for this year) and maybe 1 to 2 other exclusives(plus annuals) for next year at this E3. That's not taking any indie projects into account.

Gestault

Color me clueless but it's using 60% GPU standing at the start line not actually driving - wouldn't the GPU usage go up a bunch actually playing?

If you watch the video, he says over the course of the session, the load went between 55-70%. Weirdly enough, the starting line with a full line-up is one of the more demanding times in racing games. To the point where some games with performance issues force a rolling start to have fewer vehicles present in full racing events.

Just the dude who leaked the entire 2014 Xbox line-up.

He leaked a bunch of huge MS announcements back in early 2014 (Scalebound, Halo MCC, etc.) that were mostly accurate and then, for all intents and purposes, went away. (though I see he still posts every now and then)

Phil Spencer

maybe

Sounds like a pretty impressive mid-gen upgrade for Xbox, excited to find out about the games at E3

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=760013

The guy was responsible for basically leaking all of microsofts 2014/15 plans. Dont know why he left, maybe he got banned.

Oh okay, so Phil Spencer

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Do you need a display that supports freesync or anything will do? Sorry for the dumb question.
Yes that's a hardware specific feature so just like HDR your monitor (as far as I know no TV in existence has FreeSync)has to support the feature.

Dizzy-4U

Yes, you do
Display needs to support it, it's an open Displayport spec.
Yeah you will. It hasn't been added to any TVs yet so you'd need to plug it into a monitor at this time I guess. Still a cool addition though
Yes that's a hardware specific feature so just like HDR your monitor (as far as I know no TV in existence has FreeSync)has to support the feature.
Gotcha. Thanks.

dreamfall

ntkrnl just checking in? Oooo man, things are about to start leaking?!

That video was pretty crazy - secret tech and all. I'm excited to see what this means for the existing library and how performance improves. I think they start at $500, which may be a problem.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Hopefully MS learned enough to do away with the multiplayer FPS parody bullshit too! MS has an opportunity to turn the tables and should strike effectively.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.

leeh

Jaguar and a Polaris barely hitting 6TF (because that was promised) screams underwhelming. I'm not disappointed by the GPU much more so than the CPU. Heck, I feel pity for the PS4 Pro GPU for having to work with those cores, this is an even beefier GPU again stuck with those shitty cores.

I called the following

Polaris GPU
(not) Zen cores
GDDR5X
12GB
no ESRAM
Forza 5/6 at 4K 60fps

while people like AmyS, Proelite and others argued for Vega, Zen, HBM etc. I expected Microsoft to spring a surprise on atleast one of those fronts hence the disappointment. Today feels just by the numbers, actually barely by the numbers. If this isnt priced at $399 then its ripe for Sony to take the upper console segment by just dropping the price on the Pro.
It's not "just" Jaguar though.

Stop downplaying.

I'm a huge ms fan , and I love these specs should future proof it for a few more years.

That said Its still years away for me , I am over halo , I was never a big forza guy and the new gears bored me to death .

With no fable I am wondering what else is in the horizon, so I will wait to see games .

Thankfully I was a big fan of there new ip this gen (ryse, recore , sunset , quantum break) . Sadly none of those will probably return but hopefully they are continuing to cook up new ips.

tuxfool

Banned
Nothing that doesn't still leave the CPU as the most annoying aspect of the system.

I'd guess from their perspective actually putting a more capable CPU would be wasteful. It does have to maintain compatibility with the old Xb1, so it isn't like they would be expecting games to evolve to use the extra CPU power.

Top Bottom