• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

The usual stuff: much stronger CPU. A ~ doubling of TF on the GPU side. Faster/more RAM.
A bit presumptuous, don't you think?

Considering spencer has been saying how they are redefining console generations since early last year and that they want to eliminate the generation disruption that comes with launching new hardware and architecture by creating a growing eco system a la PC and mobile spaces

The traditional console generations are dead baring significant push back from consumers

so cpu is:

C6JQPEUsZUyVq.gif

Haha amazingly accurate

Orpheum

Not even gonna lie, i'm really impressed. I've been a PlayStation guy ever since but if the price is ok i might even get this thing. PlayStation for exclusives and this for multiplats

Vic_Viper

They're pretty easy to find if you ask me.

*Retailers like Best Buy, Gamestop etc.
*Online retailers like Amazon
*Xbox Store on Xbox Live

Links?

But seriously, Im glad the hardware looks like itll deliver but this is all worthless without good games to back it up! Sony did a great job showing all the new improvements to upcoming games along with showing off some new ones when they announced the Pro. E3 is a ways away, and its nice to be able to talk about Specs, but not having any new titles that shows off this new hardware is seriously concerning. The Xbox One lineup for the rest of the year is pretty weak, definitely not enough to sell me on one, why would I buy a Scoripo?

Haven't read the entire article yet since I'm at work on my phone. But did they even say anything about when they will be talking about games? Like tune in to your E3 conference for the games.

I think 4GB of RAM just for the dashboard is overkill

It's for more than just the dashboard. Includes overhead for Game DVR/streaming and very likely includes keeping footprinted space for Netflix or similar apps to stay load-ready. MS is probably prioritizing speed of the UI across the board. Making a dedicated 8GB available at all times to the APU seems more than sufficient. If this thing were a PC part, there's no way it would ship with more than 8GB. There wouldn't be any point.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Loads of info. Hope Microsoft are sending Dev units out so this Q4 we will get a bunch of new games Scorpio ready.

Really like how the Xbox team seem pretty positive that they have delivered.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think 4GB of RAM just for the dashboard is overkill

It's not just the dash it's reserved space so things like caching, dvr, streaming etc.

I don't know if 4GB is too much but they don't claim it now they can't use it in the future.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Dang I bet the UI looks nice in native 4K.

The promises seem lofty, but the console seems powerful.

Wow. Forza running 4K/60 with ultra settings. I didn't think that would be possible with 6TF. It sounds like this really is a 4K machine.

With the verbiage about "backwards compatibility" in the OP blurbs, this really sounds like they are treating this as the start of their new "generation."

With the Pro launching last year, the Switch early this hear, and Scorpio later this year, are we in a new gen? Are "generations" dead?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
With the verbiage about "backwards compatibility" in the OP blurbs, this really sounds like they are treating this as the start of their new "generation."

With the Pro launching last year, the Switch early this hear, and Scorpio later this year, are we in a new gen? Are "generations" dead?

It seems that way. No more starting again everytime there's new hardware.

thelastword

Banned
Jaguar and Polaris, huh, kind of disappointing. Though at least it can be competatively priced (expecting max $449) and Sony can't be too complacent.
For an upgrade over the XB1 or S, it's a very nice one, though it could have been much better....However as an upgrade over PRO it's really not that great (a year later).....Now, if it had a Zen CPU, it would be a nicely boosted system over PRO, but as it stands....If you're in the XB ecosystem I can defintely see why one would sell their old system and buy this one (granted that they have a 4k tv, of course)......

Obviously, the next hurdle is cost, but the biggest issue for me is what games they announce to drive this console.......BC is great, (unity, syndicate witcher at 4k etc...) but they need a new wave of exclusives to light some fire with the 6TF GPU at their disposal..

"The awesome part about the whole story [is] that we can spend all this time heading into the future," enthuses Tector. "Instead of saying, 'How are we going to wrestle to get the performance on this?' we're actually saying we can make this quality trade-off or this quality trade-off and spend that time iterating, heading towards much better image quality. So instead of stressing about getting to a final resolution or a final frame-rate, we can really drive it all into quality."

This is amazing.

killatopak

Do you guys think the Scorpio could run Halo: MCC in 4k/60fps if it was patched?

A very high chance yes.

4k is no big deal the problem lies with the framerate but really with all the customization it has it should be no problem. Forza showing only around 60% GPU utilization on 4k/60fps means that on MCC's case they could offload some instructions to the GPU kinda like PS4's methodology.

Fisty

People are wondering if it'll get announced in 2 months as a counter to Scorpio news, which is incredibly unlikely.

Lol ah hell no. They might drop the Pro price during black Friday, that's about all the "counter" they will need. Scorpio is not a threat to PS4, honestly I don't think anything is at this point. PS5 will be announced early 2019 is my estimate.

Microsoft saying this is a mid-gen refresh like the Pro is somewhat putting me off. I was hoping for a true generation-less upgrade.

By that I mean that Xbox will be one platform moving forward, but with two different platforms. And that there wouldn't be a next generation as usual.

Now I'm thinking I'll stick with my launch Xbone and PC.

Leflus

amazon.com
bestbuy.com
xbox.com

Links?
But seriously, Im glad the hardware looks like itll deliver but this is all worthless without good games to back it up! Sony did a great job showing all the new improvements to upcoming games along with showing off some new ones when they announced the Pro. E3 is a ways away, and its nice to be able to talk about Specs, but not having any new titles that shows off this new hardware is seriously concerning. The Xbox One lineup for the rest of the year is pretty weak, definitely not enough to sell me on one, why would I buy a Scoripo?
This reveal was never meant to be about the games, so I don't understand why you feel the need to bring it up here. It's a spec reveal by Digital Foundry. What did you expect, really?

(Xbox' lineup for the rest of the year is pretty decent actually. I can understand if you're not interested in those games, but don't act as if there are none at all)

Balfour

I don't have an Xbone yet. It's the last console for me and I was waiting for this. Depending on price, and the actual games coming for it, this may be the one

Hopefully they have some game surprises at E3

A bit presumptuous, don't you think?

No.

Bookmark this post and feel free to serve me up some crow in a few years if MS's next major console does not involve a much stronger CPU, a ~doubling of TF, and faster/more RAM. I'd say those are all safe bets.

Hell, Scorpio already represents all that with the only arguable exception being the CPU. But there will be other options available on that front ~3 years down the road. You can rest assured that the next Xbox will not have a Jaguar in it.

I would suspect most games that are 1080p 60fps on the Xbox One would be native 4k 60fps on Scorpio using the same assets / settings

It's been a bit since I've played, but were any of the games in MCC running at 60fps? If not, we're not going to magically get that performance.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Is the Scorpio more powerful than the PRO? Yes, slightly.
Will the games on Scorpio run and look better than the PRO? Probably not.
Games will undoubtedly look and run better on the scorpio, the only real question is the price and if they keep making their exclusives available to PC gamers. E3 is going to be nucking futs MS has got to bring it when it comes to the games.

Rodelero

This isn't a new gen and there is nothing to suggest that generations are dead, either. It seems reasonably likely that, in 2019/2020, both Sony and Microsoft will release new consoles that are considerably bigger upgrades than the Pro and Scorpio.

ultrazilla

It's all fun and games until they name THE PRICE.

That's all I want to know. This basically sounds like a pretty beefy gaming PC so I'm expecting north of $500 easily.

While it certainly has cool features for a console, will console folks be ready to fork over what will most likely be another "Sony $599" moment?

I'd *probably* jump in at $499 but north of that is a NO GO and I'll just keep on with my PS4 Pro and hope that Sony releases an add on for 4K/UHD disks/movies or the inevitable revision of the Pro with a true 4K drive.

Top Bottom