• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Nicely designed but an Xbox One Pro as I expected.

Still, I plan on buying two of them for my wife and I to play Multiplatform co op games

Exclusives will be played on our PS4 Pros.

wow where do they go for the next gen then?
scorpio is looking truly beastly

The usual stuff: much stronger CPU. A ~ doubling of TF on the GPU side. Faster/more RAM.

It is beneficial to not that "60fps everything dream" is not tied to HW specs but developer philosophy first and foremost.

Yep. On a closed system, most devs are always going to lean towards favoring visuals over framerate. Beefing up specs does nothing to change that core philosophy.

Shit, chasing 4K 60fps on a PC is still a very expensive proposition. Requires a $700 card at a minimum- and that's a very recent breakthrough. Costs more than that if you aren't willing to sacrifice a couple settings down a notch on most recent games.

Taigerr

sooooooooo um.... whats the difference between this and say, I dunno, PC????
Say what you want I'm barricaded under my desk..... playing ZBoTW on SWITCH....

RootCause

Man. I love me some performance increases but this mid-gen stuff. I feel like I'm acquainting myself with PC upgrading all over again.
It's an optional upgrade every 3 or 4 years. At much lower prices too. :p

I'm all in for mid gen refresh system. I wouldn't want a system to go on for 7-8 years and have devs cutting corners like what happened at the end of the PS3, and 360 gen.

Looks excellent to me coming from a OG PS4 owner not on Xbox since the 360. Certainly promising they got good results with a piecemeal kit on Forza after just a two day port job.

Competition is good for everyone.

eerik9000

Jaguar and Polaris, huh, kind of disappointing. Though at least it can be competatively priced (expecting max $449) and Sony can't be too complacent.

Is there somewhere a sheet that shows specs from Xbox One, Xbox One S, PS4, PS4 Pro and Scorpio?

Not everything, but Scorpio, XBO, and PS4P

ksfcohX.png

EagleEyes

I love all the delicious concern over the CPU and totally overlooking every other amazing aspect to a consumer product that will be affordably priced. I don't recall CPU being that big of a deal a few years when the Xbox One had a better one than the PS4.

Fess

So guys,

What are the odds that Sony will 'announce' the "PS5" this E3, just as Microsoft announced Scorpio? They would only have to drop a few names like 'Zen & Vega based architecture' and 'fully backwards compatible' with PS4 / PS4 pro. They can ride on that hype easily if the "PS5" releases in november 2018. Then it would have been a 5 year cycle as well.
They just launched the Pro, their customers would be extremely pissed if they started to talk about PS5 now. The Pro caused enough meltdowns and it was 3 years after PS4. Another 3 year gap would mean a 2019 launch, possibly with teasers at E3 2018, earlier than that would be suicide.

And why stress it? It would only mean that MS gets the better hardware again since they'll likely wait at least to 2020 for the XB2 launch.
It would honestly be smarter to just sit calm on their huge user base and wait for MS to make their first move and then try to beat them.

ViolentP

It's an optional upgrade every 3 or 4 years. At much lower prices too. :p

I'm all in for mid gen refresh system. I wouldn't want a system to go on for 7-8 years and have devs cutting corners like what happened at the end of the PS3, and 360 gen.

So, exactly like PC upgrades? Not disagreeing that this could be a good move, it just the parallels between console gaming and PC gaming are getting more frequent by the year.

And why no one is talking about the bit that the user will have the coice to chose between high graphics or high framerates across the board and across resolutions?

That seems like Ms is fully expecting uwp games to have everything dynamic and using a few system options to let the game run best at what you value.

Still, I plan on buying two of them for my wife and I to play Multiplatform co op games

My wife and I have 2 Xbox Ones so we can game together. It is such a wonderful thing. I cant wait until we have 2 4k TV's and Scorpio's side by side in the living room.

So guys,

What are the odds that Sony will 'announce' the "PS5" this E3, just as Microsoft announced Scorpio? They would only have to drop a few names like 'Zen & Vega based architecture' and 'fully backwards compatible' with PS4 / PS4 pro. They can ride on that hype easily if the "PS5" releases in november 2018. Then it would have been a 5 year cycle as well.
0% chance. They just launched the Pro half a year ago.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was one of the more laid back and mellow reveals of a major piece of hardware by a gigantic tech company I've seen in a long time. Not hating either, it was actually a rather relaxing and straight forward video to watch. I haven't watched the entire thing yet but seems like a very different feel than a lot of Xbox related events from MS. I like it and of course the Scorpio seems pretty cool but I'm still waiting on some more game info on a lot of titles, announced or otherwise before I make the jump.

ironcreed

Banned
But it's not the same jaguar that was in xbone, it's improved, and now the jaguar have to do less tasks with the dx12 coprocessor in there.

Even though a guy from a prominent tech site got to analyze the specs and confirmed all of this. It's obviously just all PR.

/s

conpfreak

It really doesn't. There's not much of an overlap between console gamers and PC. They'll be more than happy if PC gamers pay $60 for their games. Console gamers will buy consoles regardless.

I don't think a large amount of consoles gamers are concerned with this level/type of performance from their systems. These individuals likely already own one of the two console and likely do not own a 4K capable TV. Running older games better is just not a compelling reasons for most console gamers to upgrade their system. These individuals have gaming PCs for this purpose and it serves them much better. Also, gamers aren't monolithic and a lot of them are enjoying both console and PC platforms when it suits their needs. Who is this console for exactly? It just screams limited appeal to me, even compared to the PS4 Pro.

jelly

That is an excellent question.

Sony's timing with PS4 Pro last year was half-way through the life cycle of PS4, exactly what you would expect from a mid-life kicker product.

If Sony has any business sense, they will have the PS5 coming out in Fall 2019, exactly 6 years after PS4 and 3 years after PS4 Pro. This strategy maintains a 6 year console life cycle. Sony is going to want to minimize the time Microsoft can claim to have the "highest performance console", so Sony is not going to wait till 2020.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has a dilemma. Scorpio is 4 years after Xbox One. If they launch Xbox Two in 2019 to keep up with Sony, the lifecycle of Scorpio is relatively short. If Microsoft waits till 2020 for Xbox Two, they give Sony a year head start.

I do wonder. Like always the tech roadmap will dictate when they launch. 2 years away would mean planning out now. Have they gone past 16nm for GPUs yet? Intel hasn't gone beyond 14nm yet for CPUs. Then there is HBM memory. To see performance increases worth a damn in a console box, things need to happen in the next 2-3 years for 2020 launch. I don't expect next gen consoles until 2020 at the earliest.

Sony will go PS4 Pro Slim against the Scorpio at a cheaper price. 2.5 years until a PS5, do not see it at all. What tech would they base it on to hit that date that fits in a console box at good thermals, pretty much nothing at the moment.

Calling it a "xone pro" kind of down plays it

It's a bigger leap from x1 to Scorpio
Then it was from PS4 to Pro

(This of course helped by the OG x1 being underpowered)

That's only really useful if Scorpio is the lead platform though. I wouldn't expect the Scorpio version of multiplatform games to suddenly have better textures, as long as PS4 continues to outsell Xbox like it does it'll stay the lead platform. Could get some good-looking exclusives in the future though.
PC is the lead platform for most games

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do you think there's any chance Sony can counter some of Scorpio's perks with a firmware and policy update? Perks being required supersampling, AF filtering on older games (improved boost mode?), etc.

As soon as they release the Blu Ray patch for PS3.

Jumeira

Banned
They mentioned Frostbite games will see marked improvements with DX12 being baked into the machine, is that right? So we can expect a spectacular looking Battlefront 2 i assume?

vpance

7nm
CPU will see a huge jump.
Ram also with 32GB of cheap HBM
GPU will only be max 15 tf. Not as amazing as the 4.6x jump.

Most of the 4.6x jump is being absorbed by the bump to 4K. 2-3x that in a console + enhancements brought by Vega and Navi will still be very impressive.

Top Bottom