• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

golem

I dunno after being pretty disappointed overall with the PS4 Pro, it'll take alot more than just better specs from Microsoft to wow me. I want to see more than just a pure resolution bump from a good variety of games and I'm doubtful 3rd party is really going to deliver on that.

Padinn

I'm most excited about the memory bandwidth. I have a Kinect XB1, if Msstore offers a decent trade I think I'll bite

Zedox

This is one of the worst console reveals I've ever seen in the history of videogames. Specs are meaningless. Games need to be shown off. This is not what I was expecting to be shown with the Scorpio. I need to see crack down 3 with its new destructible tech. Impress me Microsoft!!!!!!!

wooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of the worst console reveals I've ever seen in the history of videogames. Specs are meaningless. Games need to be shown off. This is not what I was expecting to be shown with the Scorpio. I need to see crack down 3 with its new destructible tech. Impress me Microsoft!!!!!!!

Jesus...this wasn't meant to be a full reveal. It was never teased to be that. It was always sold as MS and DF clarifying the specs.

So what kind of improvements over the standard Xbox One are they talking about for CPU besides increased clock speeds.

They added hardware DX12 operations on the CPU die which reduces certain DX12 operations from around few hundred thousand (?) cycles down to few dozen cycles.

Zarth

I like the hardware and there seems to be a lot going on for developers too.

The problem is no matter what the console is capable of they won't get anywhere if they can't convince the 3rd parties to take real advantage of it.

At this point it's a hard sell since you're talking about a fraction of a small market share who will own this.

Sure it could do all these PC ultra settings but why would anyone go that far?

I expect for most studios the Scorpio SKU will be a port of their Pro SKU without additional optimization. Studios may even have issues with one SKU "looking that much better" than the other if they did go all in.

Dizzy-4U

Escorpio???
kwDPUX4.gif

EmiPrime

That's what E3 is for.

My post history would show you that I love the DF guys, a lot.

Just annoyed at this one bit. Nothing worth throwing out your snide remarks, really.
Fair enough - I just really wouldn't read too much into one spec list, after they've clearly and definitively mentioned Jaguar multiple times elsewhere.

RowdyReverb

This is more of a specs reveal than a console reveal. They didn't show the box, the price, or the release date. E3 isn't that far away

geordiemp

Well yeah. Games like Witcher 3 that is basically a PC game multiplat to consoles, you will get huge CPU bottleneck. That's why they have PC version for.

PS4 Pro and Scorpio aren't best for those games. They are best for console first than PC port games.

Nah, its just such games are bottle necked by Jaguar, if they had ZEN plus a 4TF GPU we would be getting Witcher 3 at 1080p60 if devs allowed it. Pick any tough game, GTA 5, Mass Effect - that JAG will drag us down to 30 FPS always is my thoughts. I bitched about the CPU in the Neo threads before PRO launched, nothing has changed.

At the moment JAG is just too crap. I bought Ps4 pro, hell I bought one for my son as well, but as an Upgrade I wanted allot more, Scorpio is SLIGHTLY better but not by much.

If I was MS I would of gone 4.5 TF, less GCN to leave some die space and a full ZEN CPU, and offered 60 FPS gaming. That would of shook up the market....Hell I would be day 1 and GAF would of gone NUTS.

Go to your room, and put on the dunce cap.

MS never advertised this as an official reveal, just a hardware reveal which it was. The full reveal with games is E3.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

If only there was some sort of gathering of the electronic industry coming up to show off their latest entertainment options, an expo, if you will.

Slightly? No

Slightly. Yes. It's not a very big bump, especially since it'll still see all the Jaguar issues PS4 pro has with regard to framerate. Jaguar is a bottleneck at this performance envelope.

The reason 30 fps games can't move up to 60 fps is due to limitations of the original game code, not because Scorpio hardware couldn't handle it. The article specifically mentioned this.
If by game code you mean "coded to make use of the GPU so it has more draw calls than the CPU can handle to keep up with 60fps while also processing AI and physics?" Sure, game code. Otherwise, very few games still tie physics and animation to framerate. This is about Jaguar not keeping up. It's the same reason PS4 Pro has framerate issues.

Nah, its just such games are bottle necked by Jaguar, if they had ZEN plus a 4TF GPU we would be getting Witcher 3 at 1080p60 if devs allowed it.

At the moment JAG is just too crap. I bought Ps4 pro, hell I bought one for my son as well, but as an Upgrade I wanted allot more, Scorpio is SLIGHTLY better but not by much.

They won't be selling XBox anything for over $700, which Ryzen 8 core would have made this thing.

This was always going to be a spec breakdown, nothing more, and nothing less. E3 will have more of what you're looking for.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
12GB of ram, 326gb/s bandwidth, 6TF newer architectural gpu, 2.3 custom CPU

Pro went a different route. They mostly kept the same tech of base PS4 but just doubled gpu power. It's good to run games in higher res but not much else especially with no extra ram running much higher

I agree with what you're main point is in terms of Sony going a different route with the Pro. There has been a difference in performance over the base PS4 in terms of performance and in terms of resolution. Depending on the game, the user can select options what they want enhanced. Power, or performance. The main thing I notice about the way they have it is that they wanted a boost in power without the boost in cost. That seems to mean more that the system is a reasonable upgrade over the base model and I think, to supply more power for VR than the base PS4 had, but not be a monster powerhouse upgrade.

I think MS has a much different goal here. It's not just to be more powerful than the PS4 Pro, it's to be much more powerful than the Xbox One or One S. They're going to get that goal, but I think at a price in cost to consumer. I'm not saying they want to profit like crazy on it. I'm thinking they need to pay for those parts. This model also needs to be able to last for several years unless they want to put out another box in 3 years again. Having a Jaguar CPU means they have to squeeze as much performance out of it as they can since other more powerful CPU/GPU combinations will be available within the next year or two.

Servbot24

Banned

I don't know if it's the worst but it's certainly the weirdest. I don't know what these specs truly mean so it's still as though I don't really know anything about this console.

Papacheeks

Banned
Why not? Scorpio will be marketed as a new console launch and MS will probably sell as many as they can make. I doubt we see much Scorpio stock left in stores this fall unless the thing costs $600. Even at $500 I'd bet MS sells every one they make.

It's not a new console launch it's a more powerful xbox one made for 4k.

It is a niche item for people that want the extra visual Fidelity nothing more.

Even at $399 it's going to be hard to outsell xbox on s for 250 with bundled games.

I don't know if it's the worst but it's certainly the weirdest. I don't know what these specs truly mean so it's still as though I don't really know anything about this console.

Yea, i feel more comparison with games like Forza would have better explained what the hardware can do, and what it means maybe for older games and newer ones with dx 12 support.

I know Scorpio will have 100% compatability with XOne games but what about 360 games? Have they said what % of 360 games should be playable on Scorpio?

sneas78

Banned
I can just imagine the people pouring their heart in to this thing and coming on here and seeing people go "meh so its a little better than PS4 pro" just a giant dagger through the heart
Not at all... I can see that they poured their heart into this and I have expressed that in the privious page.. and I will say it again.." its obvious they put their heart into this and thank you to the engineers who have done this, your hard work did not go without notice" I hope they are proud of what they have achieved. As I look at my entertainment systems.. one console is missing and that is an Xbox.. I can say with %100 that I will be getting an Xbox Scorpio. I welcome them back. It truly feels they have gone and out did themselves to bring this console and brand back with a sting. ;) Welcome back MS .. you have my respect.

I know Scorpio will have 100% compatability with XOne games but what about 360 games? Have they said what % of 360 games should be playable on Scorpio?

Scorpio plays any and all games that are playable on Xbox One, including BC. Supposedly it can offer a considerable performance boost as well.

Top Bottom