• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

I can just imagine the people pouring their heart in to this thing and coming on here and seeing people go "meh so its a little better than PS4 pro" just a giant dagger through the heart

Fisty

To be fair, Richard saw the game running himself and was blown away. I doubt he is lying.

I'm not saying he is, but I'm just pointing out that it's a bit early to be making these claims. Let's at least wait until we get a video to make specific claims like the post I quoted

ironcreed

Banned
Disagree.

Even if Microsoft hit it out of the park, which it looks like they could do, it's a simple case of price regardless of $600, $500, or $400. The Xbox One S is cheaper and will play every game released this fall on the platform.

Holiday buyers are very conscious of that and will get the cheaper option.

Probably. But as long as they are selling both at a steady clip I am sure they will be all smiles.

daman824

That is humorously inaccurate.
Scorpio is significantly stronger than the pro. With a 1.8tf stronger gpu, 3 more gb of ram, and a better cpu.

What the other poster said may be inaccurate, but games running on Scorpio will look better than those same games running on the pro.

trying-to-remember.gif

Secret sauce and coding to the metal are back :p

The S will be at least half the price of the Scorpio. It is going to make up the bulk of sales this holiday. Plus there will be tons of different bundles this holiday featuring the S.

Fisty

I'm very interested in how they got around the ESRAM. Will be some cool tech talks to cone out in the months after release

I think $499 is a hard sell. At $399, it becomes the multiplat platform of choice. Game after game, week afterdeck, DF will show how much better games run on Scorpio. It's what prevented Microsoft from truly recovering from their botched launch. Because in the end, the PS4 was still the best place for third party games.

99.9% of people who own consoles don't watch Digital Foundry or care about resolution or framerate differences in third party games whichever 'wins' be it Sony or MS.

Marketing deals along with the price of a console (especially bundles) have a much larger effect on particularly the super casual consumers console buying decision. Those customers won't be going near PS4 Pro or Scorpio. They will be happy with the standard, cheap boxes.

massucci

Banned
Scorpio is significantly stronger than the pro. With a 1.8tf stronger gpu, 3 more gb of ram, and a better cpu.

What the other poster said may be inaccurate, but games running on Scorpio will look better than those same games running on the pro.
Ps4 pro it's even more powerful over the ps4 base. But people said to not to see differences between both. That's not that automatic how could be appear.

I can just imagine the people pouring their heart in to this thing and coming on here and seeing people go "meh so its a little better than PS4 pro" just a giant dagger through the heart

You project more than Trump, Junior. BTW, nice troll name. Amazed that got past the mods.

Zeta Oni

$499 with a 6-month Xbox Game Pass subscription wouldn't be too bad...

Maybe throw in some EA Access and Gold, and you pretty much have an entire library of games available for download as soon as you power the thing on.

Space_nut

Pro will just be PS4 graphics at 1800p checkerboard

Scorpio will be 4K, 16xAF, 4K res assets, better LOD, pc ultra settings

echofive

Neo Member
I love the specs on this thing but just not confident in Microsoft. It's a great piece of hardware and I really hope it works out well for them.

PS4 has been really good to me this gen, so much that I sold my XB1 and got the PS4 Pro for 4K. The only game I've missed is Forza. I also have a decked out PC so I'm just not feeling any tug on my heart strings here. I would consider the Scorpio if there was a must-have IP, but just not seeing anything.

Obvious sidenote: I would love to see gameplay and software advancements due to new hardware, rather than just visual, but that will not happen until next gen since this is all current gen ecosystem.

So it's all kind of meh for me. Really excited for E3 and seeing the games applied.

Kyoufu

I very much doubt it. Scorpio will easily outsell Xbox One S this fall unless there are manufacturing problems that limit the number they can make or unless Scorpio costs $600.

There's no chance in hell that Scorpio will outsell the XB1S which is going to be around half the price of the machine.

ironcreed

Banned
I'm not saying he is, but I'm just pointing out that it's a bit early to be making these claims. Let's at least wait until we get a video to make specific claims like the post I quoted

I hear you. I am not saying that it is comparable to that sort of rig, btw. I am just saying that Richard saw Forza 6 running on Scorpio and hitting those marks with plenty of room left to spare after only two days. That is impressive as hell, regardless.

Glad you stayed level headed about it. You seemed pretty determined to force zen into Scorpio through sheer force of will for a while there lol.

Well, I'm fairly certain in the grand scheme, this thing won't be 980ti/1070 level for most games. But it looks great with Forza absolutely.

Price is going to be a big factor overshadowing E3 now. Not much longer to see where they stand with this 'premium' talk.

Hey, I want what I want lol. :)

Man, this is exciting stuff. Going to be looking over this stuff so many times.

Sijil

The specs are great and all but as a primarily PC gamer with decent PC (1070+i7 4770) I really don't see a reason or incentive for me to buy this console over PS4 pro. Software drive Hardware sales and the competing products are offering much more, be it from Sony or Nintendo.

MS needs to invest more into games and new IP, not just hardware.

FinalAres

A big meh from me.

I'm sure this is a great achievements in terms of what could be possible in a console. In terms of specs everyone seems pleased so that's great!

But 1.5X the speed of PS4 Pro is not going to change the tides in favour of Xbox. Especially as so few people give a shit about 4k at this point.

If PS4pro didn't change the world, why would Scorpio.

Disclaimer: Pc player, but not what you'd call an elitist. My gpu is about the level of a 1060, so weaker than Scorpio.

I very much doubt it. Scorpio will easily outsell Xbox One S this fall unless there are manufacturing problems that limit the number they can make or unless Scorpio costs $600.

Dude, not possible in any way. Spencer doesn't even believe it's going to outsell the X1 S. This is straight up delusional.

Skeff

I believe we've seen what the difference of 40% gpu advantage gives you at the start of the gen. We've also got to consider the larger ram pool and slightly stronger cpu. But to counter that we've also to consider the fact games will be made for ps4 and xbox one and the pro and Scorpio will not be a focus.

There is of course a power advantage but now we need to see if or rather how much of a cost disadvantage this comes with to see how attractive a product it will be.

geordiemp

Not really....I was interested in scorpio even though I have pro, I like console gaming and IQ / performance.

But on my 55 inch living room TV 4K Panny I cant tell if its 1440p upscaled, 2160 checkerboard or 2160 native - it really is diminishing returns above 1080p unless you TV is huge or you sit uncomfortably close like at a desk,.

And my thoughts are Scorpio is a great design, If I had an XB1 I would upgrade day 1, but its not much better than a Pro as IQ will be hard to see at such high IQ anyway.

Both will be solid 30 or 60 FPS depending on game, the 10 % faster CPU is not going to get a 30 game to 60 - If it was ZEN then it would and I would switch.

Its not enough to consider Pro to Scorpio though, the 10 % upclock is not worth the change.

Space_nut

Based on...

12GB of ram, 326gb/s bandwidth, 6TF newer architectural gpu, 2.3 custom CPU

Pro went a different route. They mostly kept the same tech of base PS4 but just doubled gpu power. It's good to run games in higher res but not much else especially with no extra ram running much higher

Top Bottom