• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

ManeKast

After a solid 15hrs now it's clicked. Finally got sone firsts and managed an overall second in the professional cup. You really need to tap in to this game, hard.

Cyborg

This game is made to play with a wheel. To bad d-pad and analogesticks are so bad.
I was hoping they would made it a lil bit better if you do t own a wheel

Bedlam

Joined Neogaf's PS4 league yesterday as well and did the first couple of events. :)

This game is made to play with a wheel. To bad d-pad and analogesticks are so bad.
The analog sticks are totally viable and you have more options than in any other game to fine-tune the controls. This game is just more difficult in general compared to other Dirt games. Steering is not the problem, it's developing an understanding of the car's behavior which is much different and realistic now.

It took me two days before I even only started to develop a feel for the game.

The link is broken.

Daigoro

reposting for new page

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/...2219/rally-gaf

20 people joined, only 10 have entered apparently.

so going forward:

league opened or closed? for now im just assuming that everyone who has joined is a gaffer. too many names to keep track of between Gaf, dirt site and GT's. any preferences?

ive been approached by the guy running the PC and PS4 leagues about co-coordinating leagues. they are starting a 70's car 4 stage event starting on Sunday. i dont know if people want to move over to this or go at our own pace?

personally i was going to stick with the 60's cars for a few more events and then move on, but if people want to do one big league with the PC/PS4 folks we can do that. or an alternative would be to do a separate league, keep the one i started going at a slower pace and have another that pairs up with the other systems if someone is interested in running that.

let me know folks.

RawNuts

The analog is great and they give you options to fine tune the kind of steering response you desire. The game itself is just really demanding; whenever I screw up, I don't feel like the controls are to blame.

Clockwork5

The analog is great and they give you options to fine tune the kind of steering response you desire. The game itself is just really demanding; whenever I screw up, I don't feel like the controls are to blame.

While I generally agree with you there are occasional moments when I think "that wouldn't have happened if I was using a wheel" but that happens in every racing game and I am probably just lying to myself :p

danowat

Banned
I wish they removed stage restart from the game completely, I can't stop myself restarting every time I make a mistake!.

Daigoro

I wish they removed stage restart from the game completely, I can't stop myself restarting every time I make a mistake!.

heh yeah, i have to stop myself from doing that, there is always something you could improve upon.

just glad they ditched the rewind function (as someone mentioned earlier in the thread). for obvious reasons. that shit was the worst. not that the option would make sense in this game at all.

terrible

Banned

Lots of pad users are consistently faster than me and I use a wheel. You can do very well with a controller, the game is just hard.

MGR

Lots of pad users are consistently faster than me and I use a wheel. You can do very well with a controller, the game is just hard.

Yup. 6 out of the top 7 current times (including the leader) in the Neogaf PS4 league are using controllers.

Bollocks

I managed to get into top tier for the daily the other day, it was the snowfall/night stage.
It was my first daily too and was 1m behind, wow didn't expect that, got a nice boost of credits because of that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Huh, Pikes Peak in the rain is crazy. Never drove Finland since they introduced it back in August on PC so going into that blind was a bit eye-opening.

"HILL! HILL! TURN! TURN! NARROW NARROW NARROW NARROW! TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! *slam*"

danowat

Banned
How do people tackle '6' turns on a blind course you don't know? , the problem is that '6' can mean anything from a slight bend in the road to quite a sharp corner, then throw lumps and bumps into the mix, without some course knowledge I end up going either way too slow or way too fast round them.

Tighter corners are much easier to handle because you can just sling the car in sideways and hang on for the ride.

If I'm not mistaken, the fastest AI driver doesn't get much better on a higher career difficult, while the field behind him is getting quite a bit better and closes ranks.
I wonder what the design decision behind that is... standard approach would be to let the player have a somewhat easy time to get first place on the lowest difficulty instead of having an easy time to get 2nd or 3rd (which still is enough to progress).

terrible

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, the fastest AI driver doesn't get much better on a higher career difficult, while the field behind him is getting quite a bit better and closes ranks.
I wonder what the design decision behind that is... standard approach would be to let the player have a somewhat easy time to get first place on the lowest difficulty instead of having an easy time to get 2nd or 3rd (which still is enough to progress).

We can't have the average player thinking they're good on the lower difficulties, that'd be madness!

Lol I like it like this. Motivates me to get good. I get what you're saying though.

We can't have the average player thinking they're good on the lower difficulties, that'd be madness!

Lol I like it like this. Motivates me to get good. I get what you're saying though.

No, but it's true, isn't it? If they had you thinking in the start of the career "wow, I didn't drive so bad after all, huh? 20 second lead... I'm badass". Then the player buys a 70s RWD car in clubman sucks with the car and tries to restart over and over to get first again like he did in the Mini. That would be more frustrating than to make clear from the start that you suck at this and basically have no chance to finish first. 3rd place will be good enough, so be happy with that for now and try to get better.

Maybe it's a really good psychological trick.

danowat

Banned
I also think there is a bit of dynamic AI balancing going on.

Not convinced the AI, as a whole, is much different at higher levels, I'm at professional and it doesn't feel much harder than the lowest difficulty level, apart from more stages obviously.

I also think there is a bit of dynamic AI balancing going on.

Not convinced the AI, as a whole, is much different at higher levels, I'm at professional and it doesn't feel much harder than the lowest difficulty level, apart from more stages obviously.

They did that in Grid 2, I think. 5 Difficulty settings and adaptive AI (not within a race but very slowly adapting between events).

Shadybiz

Doesn't it warn you that you haven't repaired your car? You'd have to press twice to skip repairing.

I have seen that warning before, yes, but I don't know if it does it all the time. I definitely went into a stage yesterday when I could have used some radiator repair. Maybe it gives you the warning if you're past a certain threshold in damage?

...OR I could have just totally flaked out and missed the warning. A distinct possibility.

JP

Does anybody have recommendations for the advance control settings on the PS4? I keep messing around with but something still seems amiss for me.

A bit of advice for anybody just starting this, don;t do what I did and get rid of the seat adjustment settings. It may sound simple but using these has made such a difference for me. If you haven't already, give them a go.

Azzawon

reposting for new page

so going forward:

league opened or closed? for now im just assuming that everyone who has joined is a gaffer. too many names to keep track of between Gaf, dirt site and GT's. any preferences?

ive been approached by the guy running the PC and PS4 leagues about co-coordinating leagues. they are starting a 70's car 4 stage event starting on Sunday. i dont know if people want to move over to this or go at our own pace?

personally i was going to stick with the 60's cars for a few more events and then move on, but if people want to do one big league with the PC/PS4 folks we can do that. or an alternative would be to do a separate league, keep the one i started going at a slower pace and have another that pairs up with the other systems if someone is interested in running that.

let me know folks.

I think it's good to have the league open for GAF members to join easily, but it can and probably will become an issue if the league goes 'viral' (I have a team from GRID Autosport that became a DiRT Rally league and has tripled in size since making an event for it).

I like the idea of running alongside PC/PS4 leagues, too. It's great for conversation here if we're all competing against each other rather than our own, smaller leagues. The game has been out almost a week now so I think most people will have moved on to the 70's cars (if not further).

Just my thoughts!

Edit: Finally got my first taste of Pikes Peak and the Polo R. Thank you dailies <3

reposting for new page

so going forward:

let me know folks.

I'm indifferent about what classes or events are scheduled for the league. It's just nice to have some none A.I. times to stack up against for me. (Droopy06 is my gt for the league btw)

I saw some people talking about whether or not to allow restarts earlier, put me in the no restarts camp. It just makes things more interesting with more on the line.

I completely botched the first stage because I didn't realize there were not restarts and was going balls out. I was in last place afterwards. Drove slower and cleaner in the last 2 and moved up quite a bit. Small sample size at the time, but it still felt good.

GodofWine

Today's daily stage was Mike Tyson and I was..well...me...lol...I think I went 5 turns and destroyed my shit. Its amazing how once you get used to a co driver, when on Pikes Peak and no one is saying "left 1 into square right" my brain just assumes its flat out :)

xrnzaaas

Yup. 6 out of the top 7 current times (including the leader) in the Neogaf PS4 league are using controllers.

Well right now wheel players are in 1st and 3rd place so it's back to normal I guess. ;p

But seriously, we shouldn't think about it too much just yet. All of us are still learning the game, some faster than others. Also I bet a lot of people didn't even know that you can retry stages without any penalties.

pmj

Just got this on PS4. My first rally game. Fast cars on slippery surfaces always intimidated me a bit I guess, but my first impression is that it doesn't seem all that bad. But it was a slow car and easy stage combo I suppose.

Dug the old Fanatec wheel out and everything works, except the brake pedal. Downhill on that first Greece stage I tested on was interesting. Then I fell off a cliff.

Any issues like this that people are having with the game? I hope it's not my pedals that are broken.

Freeman76

I was winning a rally, 4th stage, went off a cliff Because i got too cocky, and thats it, event over, 16th. The game is brutal. It pulls no punches. Im waiting for the co driver to ask me to pull over and let him out, would be quicker in a cab.

Having said that, it is already becoming my favourite racer of all time (im 40 next week so thats a long time too lol), even Dark Souls 3 isnt pulling me away completely. So glad i bought this gem.

So after all this time waiting for a console version... I bought it on steam today, lol :S

Can't play until tonight and it'll be with an xbox one controller but i'm excited, I think my pc can handle it.

hunchback

reposting for new page

so going forward:

let me know folks.

I think it would be fun to compare our time's with the other leagues. Gives us more to talk about here and get a good community going.

I vote no on restarts. It's way more risk and reward that way. I ran my event and went off a cliff in stage 2. I count it as a learning experience.

My GT is DblTap, feel free to add me.

I finished my first career event in 4th. I'm pretty happy with that because I haven't done a race Sim in ages. I also turned off all aids and using cockpit view, which I have never done before.

Segaswirl

reposting for new page

so going forward:

let me know folks.

Just bought the game today for X1 and joined RallyGAF, really liking the game so far. I think the league should be left open but i'm not too fussed either way. Put me in the no restarts camp with Droopaloop and Hunchback, I agree about it making things more interesting.

As I thought my GPU (gtx950) is fine with dirt rally but my core2duo is the huge bottleneck, I can run the game perfectly fine if I cap it to 30fps in DXtory but otherwise it's a flux of 30-50fps all over the place, anyway... game is great! it really does take me back to playing mcrae 1 and 2 back in the day, it's pure rally and that's all I need.

So after 8 rally stages in the beginner tier I tried the daily, pikes peak asphalt in the rain in the pikes peak vehicle and it was like going from colour by numbers to suddenly trying to paint like bob ross, I swear I killed 20+ people.

So I picked this up today. I've played the previous Dirts and basically play most sims (not rally sims). Just to be clear, it's frustrating the SHIT out of me. I mean, I've been really cutting back on cursing lately, and this game is making me drop "fuck this piece of shit game" at every turn. I hate HATE not understanding wtf is going on with physics. I did an asphalt track and killed it. I do the next track with cobblestone on turns and I simply can't understand why braking does absolutely nothing. I just roll right into some big ass rocks. I go on dirt and I think I'm getting the hang of it, then it takes me 10 seconds to clear a hairpin turn because my handbrake does nothing. To put it mildly, I'm frustrated AF with this game right now.

I initially hated the game. All my favorite racing games have been rallies, and I'm usually pretty good at them, but I was awful with this one. I was considering selling it at a loss. Then I checked the settings. Steering is at 40% by default! No wonder I couldn't steer. I bumped it up to 75% and put a deadzone of 10% and it's much better. It's still a little too simmy and I'm not keen on all the tweaking I'll have to do, but I love the game now.

Robaperas

As I thought my GPU (gtx950) is fine with dirt rally but my core2duo is the huge bottleneck, I can run the game perfectly fine if I cap it to 30fps in DXtory but otherwise it's a flux of 30-50fps all over the place, anyway... game is great! it really does take me back to playing mcrae 1 and 2 back in the day, it's pure rally and that's all I need.

So after 8 rally stages in the beginner tier I tried the daily, pikes peak asphalt in the rain in the pikes peak vehicle and it was like going from colour by numbers to suddenly trying to paint like bob ross, I swear I killed 20+ people.

That's painful to read, not even at ultra low the game runs at 60fps? You could try getting a cheap 2nd hand i3 or an older i5 mobo/cpu/ram combo; even my craptastic FX6300/R7 260X holds 60@medium pretty well.

MMaRsu

I have seen that warning before, yes, but I don't know if it does it all the time. I definitely went into a stage yesterday when I could have used some radiator repair. Maybe it gives you the warning if you're past a certain threshold in damage?

...OR I could have just totally flaked out and missed the warning. A distinct possibility.

You can only repair every two races in a championship :). Im sure thats what happened!

Well apparently I placed 73rd overall on the ps4 league but I do belive I set the new record on the last course :)

WQg3XdX.jpeg

Bobnob

I'm happy for any decision peeps make about the X1 league, even with no restarts peeps can practice in custom rallys before the event,but ya really enjoyed the first one,not even sure if restart was on&#128533;

L Dixon L

Bollocks

ffs my tyre blew in the second to last sector in todays pikes peak daily, didn't feel like restarting because it's a long ass stage so I accepted the challenge.

are there any repercussions when you restart a daily? because I saw that you can't retry it once you set a time?

also, am I blind or is there no time trial, where I can just go ham and learn the car in a non racing scenario?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
is there a way to set up league events that you can replay as much as you want? seems like a strange omission.

Awesome. Finally completed a championship and moved from Open to Clubman, I was debating starting a 70s car or jumping into the 80s M3. I decided to try the 70s car, didn't like it so I abandoned the championship after a few sectors and got degraded back to open. That is a really stupid penalty.

That put such a hamper on my mood I don't want to play anymore.

I was starting to get some confidence when I went to bed last night. Woke up this morning and did the daily right off the bat. Wow. That sure put me in my place :D Beautiful course and it was INTENSE driving in that rain. Love this game.

Finally got around to finishing all of the first events in Career (came in 2nd overall)

Any recommendation on cars to use in the Clubman events? I feel like this is a big decision...

Awesome. Finally completed a championship and moved from Open to Clubman, I was debating starting a 70s car or jumping into the 80s M3. I decided to try the 70s car, didn't like it so I abandoned the championship after a few sectors and got degraded back to open. That is a really stupid penalty.

That put such a hamper on my mood I don't want to play anymore.
Ok, now I KNOW I need advice.

Anyone make some cool replay footage using the show motion feature? It seems like there is a lot of potential there.
I actually couldn't figure out how to do it on my wheel for the life of me so I thought I would post now that I got it kinda figured out.
While watching your replay hit pause, and at that point you can control the playback speed with your gas pedal. Fully depressed is 1x speed, halfway is half speed, etc.
I just uploaded a quick test to youtube. It's nothing too spectacular, but like I said it seems like the potential is there.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYS-FSUC60

Post your epic wins and fails!

Top Bottom