• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

Try the settings mate, i'll try to find out some recommended Logitech settings on PC community and if they differ a lot, i'll PM it to you.

You're doing gods work son! Thanks.

I'm on ps4 fwiw. Not sure if the settings would behave differently. I'm looking forward to tuning my wheel but having a baseline others are using is always welcome.

B button the X1 layout, G920 Wheel,i'll try them settings.

I'm using the right paddle shifter on my g29(same wheel) because I use the 6 speed floor shifter. Works well imo.

Makikou

You're doing gods work son! Thanks.

I'm on ps4 fwiw. Not sure if the settings would behave differently. I'm looking forward to tuning my wheel but having a baseline others are using is always welcome.

We tried these yesterday and they seem to work fine with a friend who has a T150. The strength values just have to be adjusted to get the desired amount of force. T300RS is quite a powerful wheel VS. G29 or a T150 so you might want to up the percentages. Just the main thing is keeping the stuff thats 0%, at 0%.

Flo_Evans

Try the settings i suggested a few posts above mate :)

He is telling you to set your wheel degrees to 270 (which is max the game can show in animation).

I'd personally suggest 540. 270 is way, way too fast. So if you have 900 degs set in your wheel drivers, just adjust Steering Saturation to 60% (so 60% of 900 is 540.)

On DFGT i recommend using it on the sequental stick shifter and having your gears on the paddle buttons behind the wheel!

I think I settled around 50% saturation on the T150... which is 540 by my math ;)

I do kind of miss the sequential shift from the driving force pro... (would be perfect for this game) I thought logitech went out of business or whatever and it couldn't be supported, but now they have the G29?

I do want to try messing about with the force feedback a bit, feels pretty good stock but I'll try your settings.

I thought logitech went out of business or whatever and it couldn't be supported, but now they have the G29?

People swore up and down the g27 could work on the ps4 with a software update but the ps4 authenticates via bluetooth(even for wired controllers) so this actually isn't possible without a hardware change (enter the g29). There are several hardware changes "under the hood" in the g29 that people neglect to mention because they are so buthurt their g27 doesn't work on ps4.

Older wheels could theoretically be supported the same way ps3 fight sticks are supported in several games via the labzero driver.

Daigoro

so, is it just me or does the frame rate on xbox go crazy regularly? something is going on. shit gets messy. I have it installed on am external HD fwiw.

seems wonky

Flo_Evans

900 - 40% = 540.. 100% - 40% = 60%? :(

T150 is 1080 degree wheel.

People swore up and down the g27 could work on the ps4 with a software update but the ps4 authenticates via bluetooth(even for wired controllers) so this actually isn't possible without a hardware change (enter the g29). There are several hardware changes "under the hood" in the g29 that people neglect to mention because they are so buthurt their g27 doesn't work on ps4.

Older wheels could theoretically be supported the same way ps3 fight sticks are supported in several games via the labzero driver.

ah. Well at least I only had a DFP for PS3. Going to donate to a friend.

Bobnob

so, is it just me or does the frame rate on xbox go crazy regularly? something is going on. shit gets messy. I have it installed on am external HD fwiw.

seems wonky
Rarely i get mad frames, but then i can do the same sector again and its fine.

Daigoro

Rarely i get mad frames, but then i can do the same sector again and its fine.
I'm thinking maybe I'm noticing bad tearing out of the corner of my eye when I'm not focused and it's just giving that effect. whatever it is, it's distracting and ugly.

edit: no I think it's chugging hard. just racing in Germany and it was going nuts...

Mikeside

Try the settings i suggested a few posts above mate :)

He is telling you to set your wheel degrees to 270 (which is max the game can show in animation).

I'd personally suggest 540. 270 is way, way too fast. So if you have 900 degs set in your wheel drivers, just adjust Steering Saturation to 60% (so 60% of 900 is 540.)

On DFGT i recommend using it on the sequental stick shifter and having your gears on the paddle buttons behind the wheel!

nevermind, it's the ingame option, I see it now

I'm thinking maybe I'm noticing bad tearing out of the corner of my eye when I'm not focused and it's just giving that effect. whatever it is, it's distracting and ugly.

edit: no I think it's chugging hard. just racing in Germany and it was going nuts...

Mine was loosing frames here and there but only when I was playing and installing the game at the same time. No drops after full install so far and I have it on external as well.

Bobnob

What veiw do you use ? It might be a factor,I'm using dash cam.

Also, could we all kick up a fuss about no multiplayer rally 😆 never know they might implement it in a update if anougth people want it.

Sky Saw

Banned
Best thing I did was go to cockpit mode, watch how much the steering wheel is turning in relation to your wheel. Adjust until it is going the about the same rate. You really don't want to have to crank the wheel around 2 times to make a hairpin and you want somewhat quick steering for corrections.

Erm what? The only reason the steering animations turn less than your inputs is because they can't seem to animate the arms turning more than 90 degrees..you can turn the arms off (at least in the PC version) to see how the wheel is really turning which should be the same as your wheel if it's set up correctly.

Flo_Evans

Erm what? The only reason the steering animations turn less than your inputs is because they can't seem to animate the arms turning more than 90 degrees..you can turn the arms off (at least in the PC version) to see how the wheel is really turning which should be the same as your wheel if it's set up correctly.

Ok sorry I didn't explain, when I first plugged it in it was using the full 1080 degrees and was way to slow, I messed around with it till I settled on 50% saturation which is not 1:1 with the cockpit animations but much closer. Race cars have much quicker steering ratios than street cars (f1 cars don't even go 360) it's probably different for each car in the game and sometimes set up on a per track basis IRL.

Sorry lack of sleep, too much rally! :)

Edit: and yes you can turn off driver hands and the wheel on the console version.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
So, I finally got around to getting the game, and being that as it may, what pointers have any of you got on how to get good early on (I've only been glancing this thread for the past few days)? I snagged the Legend Edition, so I already have a fully upgraded Mini, which I guess will be my default starter.

Daigoro

It really depends on how it's implemented though. In Forza it gives you feedback when your car is about to spun out of control or if you are accelerating too fast. It sounds like in Dirt is not as pronounced.

I played quite a few other racing games on xbox and none of them had it implemented well.

yeah, i wouldnt call it a selling point for the xbone version

Mine was loosing frames here and there but only when I was playing and installing the game at the same time. No drops after full install so far and I have it on external as well.

What veiw do you use ? It might be a factor,I'm using dash cam.

Also, could we all kick up a fuss about no multiplayer rally 😆 never know they might implement it in a update if anougth people want it.

im using head cam. maybe i need to reinstall the game. my shit is all fucked up

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
oh my god.

greece and i'm killing it. getting first in every section (something i only do in sweden), roughly 30% through the final, and i go off. far. "car unrecoverable, DNF". hole.eee.shit. i had no idea. 2nd / 2nd / 1st / 2nd / 16th!!! to top it off, p.olson (?) lost his exhaust the series prior and finished like 3+ minutes after me, putting me only 1 pt down in the overall season standings. championship down the tube.

i-had-no-idea-text-o.gif

but this is game of the year

Daigoro

So, I finally got around to getting the game, and being that as it may, what pointers have any of you got on how to get good early on (I've only been glancing this thread for the past few days)? I snagged the Legend Edition, so I already have a fully upgraded Mini, which I guess will be my default starter.

it's a hard game, so you need to put in some work to get good. im still sucking, but im seeing improvements.

you cant have the hammer down all the time, work on throttle control. figure out when you need to have it 1/4-1/2 way pressed down and when to go full out.

if you're having trouble with a stage and keep crashing, keep restarting until you know the corners that are giving you trouble. the smoother you go through a stage, the faster your time. even if it feels like you're going slower than you feel like you should be. one of my problems has been trying to go flat out like in an arcade racer which leads to a loss of control and lots of accidents.

one thing im finding is really important is to really dig into the settings and figure out what works for you. this has been really helping me and also showing me where my deficiencies are:

-keep messing with the sensitivity and linearity until you get it right! ive been tweaking it since the first day and im sure im going to keep messing with it until im sure i have what works best for me. i almost never do this in games, but i think it will pay off to find the sweet spot.

-do the same with the assists. i had them all off at first, then i put some back on, then took some off again, and im still adjusting. until you get good thee will help, especially if you are crashing a lot. keep restarting a stage with different settings. soon you will be able to feel how the assists are actually helping or hurting you and how they are actually affecting the control you have over your vehicle.

i think putting in the effort to mess with this stuff will pay off if you're struggling a bit t first like i was (and still am!)

and of course, practice practice practice! just playing a lot is going to help. as with everything.

Daigoro

oh my god.

greece and i'm killing it. getting first in every section (something i only do in sweden), roughly 30% through the final, and i go off. far. "car unrecoverable, DNF". hole.eee.shit. i had no idea. 2nd / 2nd / 1st / 2nd / 16th!!! to top it off, p.olson (?) lost his exhaust the series prior and finished like 3+ minutes after me, putting me only 1 pt down in the overall season standings. championship down the tube.

i-had-no-idea-text-o.gif

but this is game of the year

shit, thats crazy lol. how did you know he lost his exhaust?

what settings are you using if you remember off hand, if you dont mind.

and why havent you joined the league?!

Clockwork5

Does anyone else have an issue seeing their rank in daily/weekly/monthly events? It just stalls on the results screen and if I push any buttons it bumps up to the top of the list and I can't find myself since I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

Flo_Evans

It gives you a damage report on competitors after each stage.

One thing I think they could of done better is the service. I wouldn't mind seeing the car up on jacks and people working on it. I like hiring better crew for faster fixes but I never get to see them work! That is something unique about rally even as a fan you can walk around and watch them prep the cars for more abuse.

The last rally I went to my friend's car had an ignition coil issue and the Subaru team techs helped him put them on his car! You don't get that kind of interaction at an f1 race.

aJ0RttJ.jpg

Would also be cool if you actually got out and changed a flat.

Daigoro

One thing I think they could of done better is the service. I wouldn't mind seeing the car up on jacks and people working on it. I like hiring better crew for faster fixes but I never get to see them work! That is something unique about rally even as a fan you can walk around and watch them prep the cars for more abuse.

ive never noticed that. ill have to look for it.

yeah the crew is so out of sight out of mind. i totally forget they are there until a notification comes up about a contract or something. feels kind of disconnected.

The last rally I went to my friend's car had an ignition coil issue and the Subaru team techs helped him put them on his car! You don't get that kind of interaction at an f1 race.

Yeah racing games (sims especially) have a really hard time getting the human, festive, and energetic element of races right. I've love to see Codemasters push that side of Dirt Rally in a sequel. Rally events that feel like events, and crews doing their thing would be cool to see. I think atmosphere is too undervalued in the genre.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

after the race in the event standings screen it had a note of that.

i'm using default settings, manual no clutch, no assists aside from ABS.

i'll join the league when i finish or get bored of the career. feel like i've barely scratched the surface of the game.

Flo_Evans

Wasn't going I play tonight.

Was just going to do one stage.

Was just going to finish one rally.

Might as well complete this championship.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but is there a PC league for GAF yet? Would love to compete against some times.

Me too, even though I suck still ( after a hefty 83 minutes of time in-game ).

I absolutely love the feel of this game, although I can't do long sessions since I tend to tense up completely while playing this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Freeman76

Does anyone else have an issue seeing their rank in daily/weekly/monthly events? It just stalls on the results screen and if I push any buttons it bumps up to the top of the list and I can't find myself since I'm usually in the middle of the pack.

Yeah same here,.its frustrating not being able to see where i ranked

danowat

Banned
I've pussied put and put the lowest level of assists on, the faster rwd cars are just too hard to drive consistently with a pad.

Daigoro

after the race in the event standings screen it had a note of that.

i'm using default settings, manual no clutch, no assists aside from ABS.

i'll join the league when i finish or get bored of the career. feel like i've barely scratched the surface of the game.

ok thx. feel fre to join any time. its just a few tracks every several days or so, so far. not a big time investment.

Wasn't going I play tonight.

Was just going to do one stage.

Was just going to finish one rally.

Might as well complete this championship.

seriously. ive been losing some sleep. at the end of a 60 hr work week here and almost all of my free time has been spent playing this game.

i had a headache when i went to bed yesterday because i was concentrating so hard. as i get more tired my performance deteriorates badly as well.

I've pussied put and put the lowest level of assists on, the faster rwd cars are just too hard to drive consistently with a pad.

ive been messing with turning them up and down and on and off. i think i have ABS cranked, traction off, and stability up a bit for now.

im gonna keep messing with it.

Daigoro

https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/leagues/league/32219/rally-gaf

20 people joined, only 10 have entered apparently.

so going forward:

league opened or closed? for now im just assuming that everyone who has joined is a gaffer. too many names to keep track of between Gaf, dirt site and GT's. any preferences?

ive been approached by the guy running the PC and PS4 leagues about co-coordinating leagues. they are starting a 70's car 4 stage event starting on Sunday. i dont know if people want to move over to this or go at our own pace?

personally i was going to stick with the 60's cars for a few more events and then move on, but if people want to do one big league with the PC/PS4 folks we can do that. or an alternative would be to do a separate league, keep the one i started going at a slower pace and have another that pairs up with the other systems if someone is interested in running that.

let me know folks.

Clockwork5

I wish I would stop zoning out my co-driver. I just go into drive mode after an hour or so and it's hard to keep up with him :(

Also, what is he saying when the > symbol appears? It sounds like "tightens" but how is that different than "narrows"? Or does it mean the turn gets sharper and how is that different than "left 3 turns to left 2"?

It's weird, but me not knowing exactly what this means throws off my co-driver rhythm.

Makikou

I wish I would stop zoning out my co-driver. I just go into drive mode after an hour or so and it's hard to keep up with him :(

Also, what is he saying when the > symbol appears? It sounds like "tightens" but how is that different than "narrows"? Or does it mean the turn gets sharper and how is that different than "left 3 turns to left 2"?

It's weird, but me not knowing exactly what this means throws off my co-driver rhythm.

Tightens = Corner Radius tightens towards the end. Means that the corner is slower at the exit since the radius tightens.
Narrows = road width narrows.

xrnzaaas

Yeah thah Lancia is really rough. And it's not that this class is uberhard in general, because I've tried the Opel Manta and it was pretty good to drive for an overpowered oldtimer. ;)

Daigoro

i zone out too. im concentrating so hard on the corner in front of me, i totally forget what the next corner coming up is. shit's hard!

I have been all praise of this game so far,but that Lancia 037 in the daily event is horrible using a controller.

from what people are saying it just a very hard car to get a grip on in general. really powerful RWD. supposed to be tough with a wheel as well.

Freeman76

This is the first driving game where i am actually finding im faster using a cockpit view. At first i thought i had a lucky run when i tried it, but 5 races later I'm still doing ok. The chase cam in this makes it very hard and usually its the only way i can play.

Makikou

I have been all praise of this game so far,but that Lancia 037 in the daily event is horrible using a controller.

037.. Rear mid-engine, real wheel drive with dual shock absorbers at the rear..
350bhp produced by a 2.0l supercharged v6, supercharger providing immediate throttle response. Car weighs only 950kg's.

That car is nearly the ultimate driver's car IMO. Everything about it spec-wise is incredible for a RWD rally car. It requires a lot of skill to manage weight transfer etc with such a layout aswell.

Here's a timestamp to Chris Harris onboard on a 037. I recommend watching the complete video though.. If you like rally cars, you'll love the video.

https://youtu.be/mXgWWNJVdYA?t=11m3s

Top Bottom