• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

That's painful to read, not even at ultra low the game runs at 60fps? You could try getting a cheap 2nd hand i3 or an older i5 mobo/cpu/ram combo; even my craptastic FX6300/R7 260X holds 60@medium pretty well.
I can sort it hit a solid 60 with all visuals low but watching my CPU usage it's always 90+ so it's my CPU choking out more then the GPU intense stuff, 30fps is fine for the time being.

If I really get into it I'll grab dirt for my Xbox one or just upgrade my PC over summer if things work out with my income.

Well I test drove a bunch of prospective new cars and finally decided on the 4WD Ford RS200. Right now I value stability more than anything else and for these early Clubman events it feels like a good choice. But we'll see, I guess.

So this is the best looking 60fps racer right? What codemasters have pulled off here - scale, foliage, shadows, lighting - at 60 frames is really fucking blowing my mind. And multiplatform to boot.

Polyphony Digital needs to take a month long course from these guys. Or better yet, just use the DR engine.

xrnzaaas

I tried the Pikes Peak daily challenge, crashed countless times, eventually said "fuck it, I'll stick to traditional rallies" :p

Finally got around to finishing all of the first events in Career (came in 2nd overall)

Any recommendation on cars to use in the Clubman events? I feel like this is a big decision...

Ok, now I KNOW I need advice.

Don't stress yourself out too much. You can only get demoted if you finish in the bottom three in the championship. I started the 70s championship after advancing to clubman level, but it's really up to you what you want to do. I would only recommend staying away from Group B cars until you're better at the game. ;)

danowat

Banned
I tried the Pikes Peak daily challenge, crashed countless times, eventually said "fuck it, I'll stick to traditional rallies" :p

First run was 9.5 mins, which I was fairly happy with, 2nd run was 11mins because I got a puncture only a few turns from the start

As for group B, the RS200 is a great car.

For the 80's I choose the M3, but I am now wishing I went with the Renault 5, as it's a very balanced little car.

xrnzaaas

First run was 9.5 mins, which I was fairly happy with, 2nd run was 11mins because I got a puncture only a few turns from the start

As for group B, the RS200 is a great car.

For the 80's I choose the M3, but I am now wishing I went with the Renault 5, as it's a very balanced little car.

Yeah I just don't have the patience to learn such a long track. I prefer to drive with a pilot even when his instructions aren't always 100% accurate. :)

danowat

Banned
Am I somewhat decent when I get 3rd and 4th in the first campaign courses? (Greece)
I'm not sure, but I've got an inkling that you'd have to be really bad to not come 3rd or 4th in open, I think it's codies way of massaging people's egos, as the AI seems quite dynamic in adjusting it's difficulty.
Try to online events to see just how far off the pace of really fast drivers you are!

Makikou

NeoGAF Rally League Week 1 [10.04.2016 - 16.04.2016]
PC League
PS4 League

Event Details
4 Stages
1970's RWD cars
No Retries
No Restarts
No Career Engineers

b7lw0tc.png
t8UplAb.png

XAaCZcE.png
zpphbnA.png

Stages

Pant Mawr
04EB97A7A5823FED3AE24DD4742D7A941F5DF058

Wales
Splits: 4
Distance: 4.79 km / 2.98 mi
Surface Types:
60% Medium Gravel
40% Light Gravel

Bidno Moorland Reverse - Night
E84C3DED8F5D206D365C5501F35551D82F342234

Wales
Distance: 5.17 km / 3.21 mi
Surface Types:
12% Heavy Gravel
70% Medium Gravel
18% Light Gravel

Service Area, Vehicle Tuning

Waldabstieg
A85251B85359701C58AD6AAA42430FC3E78B197D

Germany
Distance: 6.02 km / 3.74 mi
Surface Types:
46% Asphalt
1% Cobblestone
53% Concrete

Oberstein
745944F2ECDD25C489D39B6ACD8151202C7E65B9

Germany
Splits: 8
Distance: 11.68 km / 7.26 mi
Surface Types:
56% Asphalt
2% Cobblestone
42% Concrete

Total Distance: 27.66km

Event Start:
t1460307600z0.png

Event Finish:
t1460833200z0.png

This is the PC side mind you, Danowat needs to setup the PS4 league when he gets the chance :)

xrnzaaas

What about the current PS4 event (60s cars)? It gets cancelled or are there going to be two active ones at the same time?

Segaswirl

So this is the best looking 60fps racer right? What codemasters have pulled off here - scale, foliage, shadows, lighting - at 60 frames is really fucking blowing my mind. And multiplatform to boot.

Polyphony Digital needs to take a month long course from these guys. Or better yet, just use the DR engine.

I don't know about that, some of the shadows in the game look straight out of Minecraft for some reason.

ffleUyGh.png

It can look really nice at times though.

2zuWhRth.png

xrnzaaas

Yeah it varies depending on the shot. It can look better when you have a shot overlooking the fields from a distance and it can look worse when you have a camera zoomed in on the car in a forested area. I think it's acceptable and I'm glad it manages to keep 60fps.

danowat

Banned
Yeah it varies depending on the shot. It can look better when you have a shot overlooking the fields from a distance and it can look worse when you have a camera zoomed in on the car in a forested area. I think it's acceptable and I'm glad it manages to keep 60fps.

It's far from the best looking racer, but, and I think this is more important, the performance has been prioritised, so I think they've done the right thing by making it perform well, first and foremost, and look decent as well.

You just have to look at SLR to see how poor performance can hamper a sim style racer.

I'm rather upset about the lackluster replay angles, you get some really good external camera passes but then 75% of the time you have a cam bolted to the side of the car, it's terrible and i've already given up watching replays.

This is the worst thing about dirt rally.

MMaRsu

Did a 2 hour stream today, driving with the hud totally off :). Still a bunch of crashes now and then but overall great driving ( imo :p ) with the Renault Alpine :). Something was off with my mic for the first 20 minutes, not sure what happened there lol.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9EN8Mbn01WA

If anyone has pointers driving wise Id love to hear them :). I mostly only play hud off, no assists, cockpit view.

Still the best rally games in years so far. Too bad theres no p2p pvp :/.

70s championship, what's your car of choice guys? I tried Lancia and didn't like it much. Currently using Ford but it can be tricky sometimes. Did anyone tried Opel or Fiat?

I'll try Fiat then ;)

Any reason that game is missing some of the most iconic liveries for cars? Was it to cut the cost or was it licensing issue?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so many awesome moments in the career! after DNF'ing the 5th stage in clubman i was actually battling it out for 2nd/3rd (leading in season pts by 1!). midway through finland, possibly my most difficult stage, i was 15 seconds back on the 2nd place ai and knew i had to get my shit together on the few final stages. anywho, next stage i'm UP 15 seconds which should put me back in the mix for second.... it did. in fact, the second place driver must have had some issues as not only did i pull ahead of him, the gap was now over 3 minutes! smooth sailing for second. feels good.

AmyS

I would say yes. At times I am blown away by the overall graphics and presentation.

I agree with these quotes from a review:

The tracks in DiRT are nothing short of stunning, whether it be racing through a forest at breakneck speed hoping not to get a splinter to looking down a red clay cliffside, as you race perilously around a hairpin bend. Snow will fly up from your wheels as you hit a bank, sunlight will dapple through the trees, you’ll be able to see for miles in front of you, while the close up details are fantastic. Codemasters have worked hard to produce the most graphically realistic racing experience as possible and you’ll feel every last crunch and scrape as you go round the course.

No amount of me explaining to you how visually impressive DiRT Rally will do it justice, you really have to see it in action for yourself to fully appreciate it.

http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/dirt-rally-ps4-review/

Oneself

IMO, Dirt Rally is the best rally game ever. It feels quite polished on PS4 (maybe except the crashes physics) and controls are perfect.
Also, online content puts it leagues (ahem) ahead of the competition.

But!

But Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo has mostly better looking environments, especially lighting, trees and overall vegetation. It makes the stages look more believable and realistic IMO.

danowat

Banned
IMO, Dirt Rally is the best rally game ever. It feels quite polished on PS4 (maybe except the crashes physics) and controls are perfect.
Also, online content puts it leagues (ahem) ahead of the competition.

But!

But Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo has mostly better looking environments, especially lighting, trees and overall vegetation. It makes the stages look more believable and realistic IMO.
But!

SLR runs like crap!

Finished two rallys in the New ps4 league and man, does that first location in Wales look BEAUTIFUL with the cloudy settings! Kind of reminded me of the zavod map in bf 4. I chose the Fiat, it can be a little nervous on the rear end, gotta be gentle with the Gas around corners.

This is the Best rally and racing game ive ever played. Didnt think driveclub would be surpassed so soon (for me)

Freeman76

Enjoyed the first track in the new PS4 league, i actually got FUCKING FOURTH!!! Doesnt matter that only 5 people have raced it yet haha.

Wales is the reason I now value stability so highly. I was all over that god damn track. I ended up racing it conservatively resulting in meager results, but better than I would have gotten if I had been spilling off the road every 20 seconds. Fortunately for me I was so far ahead of 3rd and 4th place that 2nd (overall) was pretty much a lock. So I could afford to race it that way. You have to know when to push and when to realize its not always worth it.

Of course, the next time I'm in Wales the situation will likely be different. I'm not looking forward to that.

Freeman76

Any word on whether they are aware some of us arent able to see where we placed on leaderboards without scrolling through the whole thing?

Oneself

But!

SLR runs like crap!
I wouldn't say crap since it holds a steady 30fps on PS4 and, I guess, a fairly good PC can get it running at a steady 60fps.
There's no denying, Dirt runs at twice the frames (on PS4) and the difference is huge especially for a precision sport like rally.

I just didn't like the feel of SLR. Though that's based solely on the demo. And though its also 30 fps, I really enjoy WRC 5. It has a shit ton of countries/courses and it plays nicely. A big improvement over 3 and 4. Its no Dirt Rally but I throw it on when I want to play a much easier rally game.

xrnzaaas

Well other than fucking up the braking zone in SS2 and having to teleport back I'm pretty happy with my first league run. :) Took it easy in Germany especially on wet surface in SS3.

Top Bottom