• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

xrnzaaas

Scratch my last comments about Greece. It is the worst. It just wasn't that bad when I drove the stages in the Open and Clubman championships. ;)

danowat

Banned
The last part of this post contradicts the first part, and makes no sense? You do have to finish in the top 3 to progress, why are you saying you dont have to finish anywhere?
Because increasing the difficulty isn't really progress (imo), you can stay on the lowest difficulty and still earn money to buy cars, which is the only real progress in the career.

Freeman76

Because increasing the difficulty isn't really progress (imo), you can stay on the lowest difficulty and still earn money to buy cars, which is the only real progress in the career.

If you dont finish in the top 3 you stay in the open championship though?

danowat

Banned
I think maybe people are just missing that kind of gamification or gameplay loop that people get from other games.

It's not really prevalent in the sim genre, there isn't much of a call for it, for my personal opinion , with a sim, I don't really need any structure, gamification or gameplay loop, give me the tools to do it myself, give me lots of diverse cars that have lots of depth that needs to be learnt, give me tracks, give me challenging AI, and the option to set up races or championships in the cars I want to drive, on the tracks I want to drive, give me custom championships, that's all I need, I don't need credits, XP, or any other those trinkets.

Yet to me this game still has structure/a gameplay loop. I play in career mode with every car (one by one from oldest to newest) until I have all of its upgrades.
Playing this way there is plenty of grinding/unlocking to do.

Being able to level up your team and through this speed up the upgrading process of each car also gives a sense of real progress and feels rewarding.

So there definitely is some "casual completionist" fun to be had.

It's still a sandbox loop, you are imposing your own structure on things.
True. It's not forced by the game.

danowat

Banned
With regards to career: I guess the only issue is if you end up racing the same limited set of courses over and over?

Indeed, but this is a (fault) with all racing games, but if the driving is challenging enough and the physics has enough depth, then it should take you quite a while before getting exhausted with the content.

It's not so much an issue with a rally game as a circuit racer, because it's quite rare that you can get two runs on the same course the same in a rally game.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't mind more content at some point, although I believe this has already been ruled out?

What could help if there's was a counter or percentage of completion. Or am I missing some other metric somewhere?

Basically, I just don't want I miss anything it has to offer.

Indeed, but this is a (fault) with all racing games, but if the driving is challenging enough and the physics has enough depth, then it should take you quite a while before getting exhausted with the content.

It's not so much an issue with a rally game as a circuit racer, because it's quite rare that you can get two runs on the same course the same in a rally game.

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't mind more content at some point, although I believe this has already been ruled out?

I'm pretty sure the game does a dlc check before connecting to Racenet so there's provision for further expansion even if nothing has been announced.

24hr

Bought this game because of this OT. But my god, I am so terrible I think I'm going to return it and stick to my Trackmania Turbo.

All I seem to do is crash and crash and crash.

xrnzaaas

Bought this game because of this OT. But my god, I am so terrible I think I'm going to return it and stick to my Trackmania Turbo.

- Start with the slowest / easiest cars (Mini, Abarth 131 etc.). Choose Wales or Finland to practice driving on gravel/mud, Germany to practice tarmac. Also watch the tutorial vids if you haven't played a rally game (or if it's been a while since the last time).
- Don't try to drive at 100%. Leave some margin for error.
- Listen to your co-driver.
- Don't cut if the co-driver says don't cut. ;)

danowat

Banned

Practice, ,listen to the co-driver, when he says CAUTION, he means it, practice, practice and practice.

It's a very hard game, and it takes a lot of effort to "get gud", it's not for everybody though.

scrcrw

qdbRUX9.jpg
I found a good parking spot. Let's just walk the rest...

MMaRsu

Haha cmon bro. Pick the Renault Alpine ( best starter car ) and do a slow lap with hud turned off and listen really close to the co driver.

If he says left 6 thats a easy left, hardly a turn
If he says 1 left its a very sharp turn

Drive carefully, dont ever pick up too much speed. Keep on the brakes constantly. Just try to finish a few races without crashing, dont worry about your standing.

It takes a bit of practice to shall we say git gud but when you can do a lap on high speed without crashing you will feel very rewarded.

KORNdoggy

i have a final question before my copy arrives.

say i end up sucking at it...like, really sucking. am i stuck sucking on a single country or am i free to suck on any track/event?

i have slight issues with the trackmania progression system of "of you're skills aren't up to scratch, you can't play these final 100 tracks". is this how it is with DiRT Rally? am i stuck playing the first event over and over until i'm good enough to see more tracks?

danowat

Banned

say i end up sucking at it...like, really sucking. am i stuck sucking on a single country or am i free to suck on any track/event?

i have slight issues with the trackmania progression system of "of you're skills aren't up to scratch, you can't play these final 100 tracks". is this how it is with DiRT Rally? am i stuck playing the first event over and over until i'm good enough to see more tracks?

You are free to drive any car on any track (well, Rally cars on rally tracks, RX cars on RX tracks and hillclimb cars on Pikes Peak) in custom events.

xrnzaaas

There are custom championships and rallies outside of the career mode. All tracks and cars are unlocked right from the start. :) You have to buy cars if you want to play them in the career mode, but it's doable even if you won't score great finishes. It will just take more time to earn enough money.

KORNdoggy

You are free to drive any car on any track (well, Rally cars on rally tracks, RX cars on RX tracks and hillclimb cars on Pikes Peak) in custom events.

There are custom championships and rallies outside of the career mode. All tracks and cars are unlocked right from the start. :) You have to buy cars if you want to play them in the career mode, but it's doable even if you won't score great finishes. It will just take more time to earn enough money.

thanks. that's a relief. never been a fan of racers that lock content behind difficulty.

KORNdoggy

do you unlock liveries? i've noticed in the OP it lists cars that are just plain white, but i assume i can race a ford focus with this livery? i kinda want the old colin mcrae 2.0 aesthetic.

maxresdefault.jpg

Watevaman

do you unlock liveries? i've noticed in the OP it lists cars that are just plain white, but i assume i can race a ford focus with this livery? i kinda want the old colin mcrae 2.0 aesthetic.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm not sure about career mode (haven't touched it), but there are different liveries for each car. For example, the Focus has 8, as you can see at the bottom of its image it says "Livery 1/8." I'm pretty sure that livery for the focus is included, but don't quote me 100%.

When I do my update to the OT soon to address the new content, I'll link to a gallery that includes all liveries of the cars if I can.

I don't understand how the AI works in this game. I played the Rally Cross Classic championship on professional difficulty and finished three of the four events in the top three. Now in the fourth event I can't even qualify. I've tried for more than two hours now and I can't do it. It's like the game wants me to repeat the season.

Really frustrating.

danowat

Banned
Very few official liveries aside from the 2000's and later cars. Really wanted to rip around in the red and blue Phillips Renault 5 :(

I would imagine it was possibly to do with keeping licensing costs down, not sure what the budget was, but as it was an early access title, I'm guessing it wasn't that large.

Shame we can't do custom liveries on console though, even a limited livery system like that in DriveClub or SLRE would have been good.

I really dont like the comparisons to Dark Souls. Dirt Rally gives you all the tools from the get go and tells you everything you need to know, its just up to you to hone your skills.

Dark Souls is obtuse as fuck and regularly kills you in ways that you could never had avoided on the first play through.

Dirt Rally would be like Dark Souls if there was no co-driver and even then, it still gives you all the info you need to play the game.

I really dont like the comparisons to Dark Souls. Dirt Rally gives you all the tools from the get go and tells you everything you need to know, its just up to you to hone your skills.

Dark Souls is obtuse as fuck and regularly kills you in ways that you could never had avoided on the first play through.

Dirt Rally would be like Dark Souls if there was no co-driver and even then, it still gives you all the info you need to play the game.

Because hard games = Dark Souls like now apparently. I hate the comparison, but it's apt for DiRT Rally.

danowat

Banned

Except the co-driver lies sometimes, right 6?, really?, you call that a 6? as you reverse your Subaru out of a ditch.

SummitAve

Banned
Picked this up the other day, and was able to go through the stages for the ps4 league for some of my first races. I didn't come in last! Close though.... I was able to not crash on the first stage, but the second and last killed me. It was my first time seeing hay bales and I went straight into them a few times... I also tried to run a large portion of the last stage with a flat before I eventually crashed and found out I could fix it lol.

MMaRsu

Aawwww yea 5th place on the first race in the new league :D.

Now to hope I can do the other races just as good haha

hunchback

I need some Xbox controller settings suggestions. I'm having a heck of a time controlling any of the cars right now. I have all aids turned off except auto clutch. My sensitivity is set to 65 and linerity 20. If I turn the sensitivity up,my problems get worse.

I do fine on hairpin corners and some of the tighter ones. Straight aways are my nemesis right now. When I get up to speed it's like I'm on ice even if it's pavement. It just feels extremely sloppy when I get up to speed and I lose control.

Has the next Xbox league event been posted yet. I proudly came in 12th in our first event. How dare the rest of you took last place from me. Lol

danowat

Banned
I need some Xbox controller settings suggestions. I'm having a heck of a time controlling any of the cars right now. I have all aids turned off except auto clutch. My sensitivity is set to 65 and linerity 20. If I turn the sensitivity up,my problems get worse.

I do fine on hairpin corners and some of the tighter ones. Straight aways are my nemesis right now. When I get up to speed it's like I'm on ice even if it's pavement. It just feels extremely sloppy when I get up to speed and I lose control.

Has the next Xbox league event been posted yet. I proudly came in 12th in our first event. How dare the rest of you took last place from me. Lol

Reduce the sensitivity, you might also want to make sure your controller has enough deadzone so you don't get uncommanded steering inputs, failing that, try adjusting the front toe in, you can make a car more stable in a straight line.

Lettuce

Man going from the Open Championship in my 60's Mini Copper S to Clubman Champopnship and my 70's Lancia Stratos to such an increase in skill needed, the car is so twitchy even on straights

hunchback

Reduce the sensitivity, you might also want to make sure your controller has enough deadzone so you don't get uncommanded steering inputs, failing that, try adjusting the front toe in, you can make a car more stable in a straight line.

Thanks. What would you set the dead zone at? I'm currently at 20 for deadzone. I'll try the toe in also. I haven't ever adjusted that before.

PS4 GET!

Game arriving tomorrow.

Looking forward to the visual upgrade from my ageing desktop computer (only capable of Ultra Low quality at 60fps)

MMaRsu

Either try deadzone at zero, sensitivity at 100 but linalearity on 10 or try what danowat said

Curufinwe

My copy was finally delivered today and I'm so excited to get started.

Reminds me of back in 2001 when I bought CMR 2.0 for my PS1.

Lettuce

Man some of that league times are incredible... and the leaders have used Lancia's to get them! Respect.

by the way - rip fence :D
AWOb4ca.gif

whats the easiest way to make animated gifs of movie clips?

On another not is there a way to move the split times indicator that pops up, that get in my way all the time

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

So does Dark Souls.

It's only "Obtuse" if you care about the story. The gameplay you can get by without so much as understanding ANYTHING beyond the stat system and picking a weapon you like/feel good with.

I beat the superboss/old King in Dark Souls 2 with a broken sword at SL 56 or so, FFS. It's not like the game explaining his nitty-gritty details and "oh, by the way
keep those boss souls, you can make him weaker instead of wailing on him for an hour and praying you don't get hit!"
would've made a difference.

Top Bottom