• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

scrcrw

I believe it's:
Open: 4x Sprint
Clubman: 5x Sprint, 1x Long
Prof: 6x Sprint, 2x Long
Elite: 7x Sprint, 3x Long
Masters: 8x Sprint, 4x Long (=every stage)

Additionally you'll encounter more night stages and bad weather in higher difficulties.

Opponents will always "drive" cars from the same class as you (of course). No that it matters, since times are calculated based on ideal times (per class) with difficulty modifiers and randomness added in. The devs explained the process in one of their roadbook blogs.

The stage times of your fastest opponent actually won't change much from Open to Masters. Only the gaps between the places tighten a lot. Being 30 seconds down in Open might still get you 3rd/4th, in Masters you'd probably finish outside the points.

danowat

Banned
I am currently on elite, in group B, and either the AI is terrible, or I am great, because I just won Sweden and Germany by over 2mins each.

Makikou

I am currently on elite, in group B, and either the AI is terrible, or I am great, because I just won Sweden and Germany by over 2mins each.

AI has a hard time coping with snow/ice on Sweden.. They are generally slower there versus. any other gravel rally.

scrcrw

The AI times in Group B are indeed terrible. The cars seem terrifying at first, but it's secretly easy mode for the career. You have to push a lot harder to win with the (easier) 2010 cars. Germany is a free win with every class. :D

danowat

Banned
AI has a hard time coping with snow/ice on Sweden.. They are generally slower there versus. any other gravel rally.

The AI times in Group B are indeed terrible. The cars seem terrifying at first, but it's secretly easy mode for the career. You have to push a lot harder to win with the (easier) 2010 cars. Germany is a free win with every class. :D
Yup, Group B is indeed easy mode, especially on Sweden!

scrcrw

I have seen suggestions to either start in 2nd gear or adjust the ratio for 1st gear. I haven't tried either, so no idea if it helps. Being careful on the gas to avoid spinning your wheels might also be worth a try.
If you don't have any upgrades unlocked yet, you simply have a slower car than your opponents (upgrades slowly unlock a car's full potential, they don't make it better than the base specs).

In the first Rally Cross event the AI cars get off to much faster starts then me. What am I doing wrong?
Nothing. The AI is complete trash in Rally Cross. I had to restart races up to 20 times because the AI kept ramming me off the track in Elite and Masters championships.

Probably the most frustrating shit I've played on current gen consoles.

Still won the Masters championship in the end but it wasn't fun.

So I bought this earlier in the week and finally got a chance to play today.......this game is amamazing. First mistake was trying to run my wheel at full rotation, that was impossible. Second mistake was going full FFB, I had to turn it down to 80.

Aside from that it's going great (my arms are killing me). Im going zero assist right now but might have to switch my shifter to sequential because running the full h gate is just another mental exersise I don't think I need right now.

Picked this up this week because I really wanted to support Codemasters for what they've done for the ex-evolution staff. The game is really fantastic. Totally an edge of your seat racing experience.

Still trying to figure out the structure of the campaign. I just finished the first championship but came in 4th missing out by 2 points (those snow stages in Sweden really destroyed my top 3 streak). So I have to do that championship again to be promoted? What happens when you're promoted?

Also totally agree about that first Rally Cross with the Mini Coopers. That seems like a huge difficulty spike. I cant get any where near to catching up to them.

Also tried the Thrustmaster racing wheel but had to go back to a Dual Shock 4. Couldn't manage to stay on the track. Got slightly easier when I enabled all the assists but I think I still need to tweak the settings to get something that works for me.

danowat

Banned
Still trying to figure out the structure of the campaign. I just finished the first championship but came in 4th missing out by 2 points (those snow stages in Sweden really destroyed my top 3 streak). So I have to do that championship again to be promoted? What happens when you're promoted?

If you finish top 3 you get promoted to the next level, open-clubman-professional-elite-master, if you finish between top 3 and bottom 3 you stay in the same level, if you finish bottom 3 you get demoted.

Higher levels equal more and longer stages, harder AI and more money payouts.

Makikou

The league definetly didnt go *that* well for me.. I think i didnt have a single stage without an off or a spin. Also forgot to adjust gear ratios for wales and struggled with Germany in general.

Still finished though.

hunchback

Any new info regarding the Xbox league? I'm getting my Internet fixed today so I'll be ready to roll again.

Thanks for the recommending the suggestions for the controller. I saw a instant speed improvement.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yup, Group B is indeed easy mode, especially on Sweden!

I think you guys are simply too good at this game, as it's certainly not "easy mode" for all of us!

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Picked this up on the PS4 on Friday as a treat, first Codemasters game I've bought since they got the Formula 1 license back in 2010. I did have the early access one on PC but I won't have access to a PC for a while. Just wanted to support Codies for going in the right direction with Dirt Rally and away from those Dirt titles from last gen.

Anyway, this game is hard as nails with a controller. :-/

Makikou

NeoGAF Rally League Week 2 [17.04.2016 - 24.04.2016]
PC League
PS4 League

Event Details
5 Stages
R4 Modern Rally Cars
No Retries
No Restarts
No Career Engineers

hg2OExL.png
9Be5IS1.png

Stages

Service Area, Vehicle Tuning

Älgsjön
rOdRT1M.png

Sweden
Midday / Sunny
Splits: 4
Length: 7,0km
62% Snow
38% Compacted Snow

Björklangen
XibxnaI.png

Sweden
Afternoon / Snow
Length: 4,9km
51% Snow
49% Compacted Snow

Iso Oksjärvi
0sQw0k9.png

Finland
Morning / Rain
Length: 8,04km
100% Light Gravel

Kotajärvi
DqG8Fzc.png

Finland
Afternoon / Clear
Length: 8,1km
100% Light Gravel

Hämelahti
FpFvZJe.png

Finland
Night / Clear
Splits: 8
Length: 14,96km
100% Light Gravel

Total Distance: 43 km

Event Start:
t1460920500z0.png

Event Finish:
t1461525300z0.png

This week we are heading to the snowy forest roads of Sweden & the fast-flowing Finnish gravel roads. R4 cars are the name of the game this week. 4WD, modern production car-like rally cars. Maximum power output is reached very early in the RPM's so be sure to check out the car info cards above!

Expect results of Week 1 later this evening.. or tomorrow. Depends on the DiRT Rally API either working or not working :I

Lettuce

Man the Audio Quattro (Group B) is a dream to drive!, after the nightmare that was the Stratos!!

EDIT: Is there no XB1 leagues then?

I think this game has the best track design I've ever come across in a racing game.

- From a pure visual perspective, it's a feast of variety: dreary Wales to sun drenched greece to the bright german rolling landscape. Every stage has visual interest (even Wales!) and there's great variety within every stage (though least so Wales!)

- But technically, each environment offers a completely different challenge set: a forest in Wales really requires different techniques compared to the blinding speeds in Finland. So many racing games, and rally games specifically, just use the environments as backdrops and just swap in similar roadways, but there seems like there's literally thought behind every object, curve and ledge in DR.

Just brilliant stuff.

PS. Any word on the devs implemented enhanced replay options or photo mode? Seems like an odd omission.

DD

oipic

Congratulations to the top 20 of the Week 1 rally!

Great work with this, Makikou - thanks!

Terrific to see so many involved. I think I finished 14th-15th or so in the PC league (really messed up one of my runs this week), but didn't make it into the combined top 50, so that highlights a good competitive spread of times from the PS4 crew. Nice work, everyone. :)

DD

GAH, did terribly on the first three stages, and did well on the last two. Bye bye top 10. It was nice to be part of that. :(

gibbsy24

First week jumping back into this game since very early access. I just thought the leaderboard wasn't loading. Didn't think I was actually first to do it. Nobody look at my time! :p

SliChillax

Would you guys suggest this game for someone who only plays with a controller? Because I regret buying games like Project Cars, seems impossible to play with a controller and I'm usually very good at racing sims.

MMaRsu

Would you guys suggest this game for someone who only plays with a controller? Because I regret buying games like Project Cars, seems impossible to play with a controller and I'm usually very good at racing sims.

Sure its great with a controller

xrnzaaas

Not off to a great start on SS4 of the league event ;p

uS9oPCs.gif

I have to say it was a very enjoyable event. I haven't had any contact with the R4 cars before that and the Mitsubishi handles great.

Top Bottom