• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt Rally |OT| Don’t Cut, Be Brave

wouwie

I've been playing this during the weekend and i'm blown away by how good it actually is. It's a radical departure from Codemasters previous racing games (especially the Dirt games) and it puts the studio back at the top of the racing genre.

I only have a few issues on the negative side. They clearly had to cut corners visually to achieve 60FPS (and it was by all means the right decision) but i wish they found a better solution for shadows. Some of these shadows actually look like giant pixels (minecraft style) and while it's not a big problem, it stands out from an otherwise fine looking game (taking into account that it is 60FPS).

Also, i wish there were more replay options and especially one from outside the car with the camera tracking the car (similar to GT iirc). There is such a view but it's mixed with indoor, roof, wheel and other camera shots i'm not interested in. I just want an outdoor only camera view since it gives a better impression of your driving (and how to improve).

One last thing: i find the structure of the career mode quite confusing and there is very little explanation ingame of what is expected from the player. That being said, maybe i should take the time to read the manual.

All in all, i'm very impressed with Dirt Rally. Codemasters clearly listened (finally) to feedback from players on their previous games and started from scratch on what has turned out to be a fantastic game.

danowat

Banned
I only have a few issues on the negative side. They clearly had to cut corners visually to achieve 60FPS (and it was by all means the right decision) but i wish they found a better solution for shadows. Some of these shadows actually look like giant pixels (minecraft style) and while it's not a big problem, it stands out from an otherwise fine looking game (taking into account that it is 60FPS).

I think I read somewhere that might be a bug?

Also, i wish there were more replay options and especially one from outside the car with the camera tracking the car (similar to GT iirc). There is such a view but it's mixed with indoor, roof, wheel and other camera shots i'm not interested in. I just want an outdoor only camera view since it gives a better impression of your driving (and how to improve).

Most of us agree, I think that the lack of time spent on these small things shows it's early access roots, I'd imagine the game was made of a relatively limited budget, and the frills were less important than the core of the game

One last thing: i find the structure of the career mode quite confusing and there is very little explanation ingame of what is expected from the player. That being said, maybe i should take the time to read the manual.

Structure?, there isn't any, it's just a set of races with an increase in difficult and event length if you finish the season in the top 3, a demotion if you finish in the bottom 3, and no change if you finish in the middle.
Again, like the replay's, the lack of work in this area was probably down to time and money constraints.

wouwie

@danowat: thanks for the replies. I do indeed hope the shadows are a bug and can be fixed. That would be great.

Iirc, the Dirt games always used the same replay options throughout the series and also in this game. So i'm not sure that point is a lack of budget/time. I think Codemasters feels that these are the best replay angles (or were never told that this is could be better?). I don't think any Dirt game had a replay option with only outside camera view. But yeah, an outside only replay would make the replays a lot more useful and fun.

About the career, that explains why i have a hard time figuring out how it works :) So it's basically a couple of difficulty levels and you just pick the car you want (can afford), it seems.

danowat

Banned
About the career, that explains why i have a hard time figuring out how it works :) So it's basically a couple of difficulty levels and you just pick the car you want (can afford), it seems.

In a nutshell, yes, the career is just a function to earn money to buy cars, which can be used in some daily, weekly and monthly events.

Personally I'd have preferred it if they'd had dropped that, made all cars available from the get go, and made the AI strength and race length manually selectable.

While on the subject of the AI, there is some horrible rubberbanding in the rally AI, I did two stages this morning, same AI, same cars, same course, same conditions, and the AI times were directly skewed to how fast I was, I don't like this, at all.

Jimrpg

@danowat: thanks for the replies. I do indeed hope the shadows are a bug and can be fixed. That would be great.

Iirc, the Dirt games always used the same replay options throughout the series and also in this game. So i'm not sure that point is a lack of budget/time. I think Codemasters feels that these are the best replay angles (or were never told that this is could be better?). I don't think any Dirt game had a replay option with only outside camera view. But yeah, an outside only replay would make the replays a lot more useful and fun.

The career is what keeps this game from being a 10 for me. Just a bit more presentation, a bit more context or a goal would have done wonders for the career mode. Otherwise this is clearly the best rally game ever.

Oneself

First contact with the R4 cars for me, wow, such beasts! My run will probably end in a tree after a full speed jump in Finland.

danowat

Banned
Off course it is.

1097290-i_see_what_you_did_there_su.jpg~c200

red731

Since I want to improve (albeit with automatic and on gamepad), I am searching for interesting videos from real life that are explaining some things and how the dudes in the car (dri+codri).

I understand the pace notes from the game and can really lessen the times my car flips shit because I didn't listen, but in search for irl how to, I found this -

Rally Pacenotes explained by Hayden Paddon & John Kennard
Wheel markings are really good idea.

PS: This is the only game I can't listen to any background music. Even on low volume, without any lyrics, my mind wanders to music, loses pace note info and thus begin the radiator, tires and other car beating.

Focus is what is keeping me on the edge of the seat, too.
Focus lost and I am flying. Usually to, example, one lonely tree in empty field.

vsMIC

Game is fantastic...

... but coupled with a similarly polished time attack mode like Forza Rivals it would have been legendary!

Can we expect any additional DLC content like cars or territories? Is it maybe even following the trend of "games as a service" and will further evolve?

danowat

Banned
Game is fantastic...

... but coupled with a similarly polished time attack mode like Forza Rivals it would have been legendary!

Can we expect any additional DLC content like cars or territories? Is it maybe even following the trend of "games as a service" and will further evolve?

I've said it a few times, and haven't been told otherwise yet........

I believe they said there would be no DLC for Dirt Rally.....

From Eurogamer article
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...out-dirt-rally-on-console-thankfully-not-much
And once Dirt Rally's out on console, what's next for the team? After the drip-feed of new courses and locations during the Early Access period, it doesn't look like there'll be any more DLC inbound.

red731

My eyes.
Neogaf PC league, last course - night, of course.
Crash and lose one light, crash further, second light off.

My eyes, they burn.

xrnzaaas

How does the scoring system work in the league? Only 4 best drivers get the points? Just curious, not that I'm complaining since I'm way off the top 10 anyway. ;)

I just can't keep myself out of the snowbanks on the Sweden stages.

concentrating...concentrating...left...right...carefully...oh shit now I'm suddenly facing backwards

dedhead54

Are you guys that bought the XB1 version happy with the performance? My brother has an XB1 and enjoys racing game so I am thinking about going with it over PS4 so I can play with him.

red731

I just can't keep myself out of the snowbanks on the Sweden stages.

concentrating...concentrating...left...right...carefully...oh shit now I'm suddenly facing backwards

What helped me the most was to just drive selected car and acquire all of 3/3 upgrades for it.
I didn't like Fiat 131 Abarth at first, but after the upgrades it was much better.
Manage your team good and change perks to what you are driving the most.

That, and try and drive on 70% of full throttle.

danowat

Banned
What helped me the most was to just drive selected car and acquire all of 3/3 upgrades for it.
I didn't like Fiat 131 Abarth at first, but after the upgrades it was much better.
Manage your team good and change perks to what you are driving the most.

That, and try and drive on 70% of full throttle.

I'm not sure the league uses career upgraded cars...

sneaky77

Im really looking forward to finally cracking this open this week after not being able to play since release even though it's been on my ps4 taunting me

KORNdoggy

Been playing this a fair bit now and i'm really enjoying it. I think the comparisons to richards burns are a little weird now i've played it since i don't feel it is anywhere near as difficult to handle. In fact, i think the handling is quite scrappy and fun. I still feel remnants of the last couple Dirt games though, particularly a slight pivot on the car. Like you're steering an office chair. but it just adds to the fun and isn't anywhere near as obnoxious as dirt 2/3 or some of the early WRC games.

For me this feels like colin mcrae 2.0. Or the later WRC/colin mcrae games on PS2. But i honestly think loab/the recent WRC5 are more dificult games to handle...not necesarily becasue they have better driving models (they don't) but i think i'm more geared towards this sort of fast twitchy handling on wider roads so I kinda just feel at home again :)

danowat

Banned
Man, I was way too over cautious in the final night stage of the league, was doing quite well up till then :-/ just didn't want to smash my headlights!

xrnzaaas

Heh I just did the weekly career event in the "stock" Lancer and it's noticeably slower. I don't know if this was such a great idea to make the basic and the upgraded versions so different. It's basically best to keep working on one car instead of just juggling them with each new season/event (that's what I like to do :)).

I really fucked up by buying the Lancia for the 60's series. I played with the mini while it was still installing and thought I could use the extra horsepower. But it feels like a boat compared to the mini, and my time is a whole minute slower then the time I set with the mini on one of the Greek stages.

Damn i screwed up the last rally during nighttime in the current league! Threw me from Rank 14 which i was okay with to 22which is Kind of..okay .. I really enjoyed driving and LISTENING to that subaru impreza, Sounds soo angry!

danowat

Banned
Damn i screwed up the last rally during nighttime in the current league! Threw me from Rank 14 which i was okay with to 22which is Kind of..okay .. I really enjoyed driving and LISTENING to that subaru impreza, Sounds soo angry!

The Subaru R4 is a great little car, that final stage was tough, night adds in a whole other level of jeopardy, do you push and risk smashing your lights, or do you take it steady, not easy!

I am sitting 6th at the moment, so I am fairly happy with that.

Top Bottom