• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

one last thing, I was messing around before so i decided to see if I could get the kill a tallboy with the sword achievement. I stalked one for a at least ten minutes, learning its route, planning where to strike and so forth, finally decided to take action for a guard to appear out of nowhere and scupper my finely laid plans. so thinking on a the back foot, I decided to slow down time, killed the guard and blinked to the tallboy just as slow down was running and killed him. it was incredible, one of those had to be seen to believed moments.

I love this game so much.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
is
kingsparrow island / lighthouse the last mission?

a true accomplishment for arkane and I hope they are rewarded with good sales and a promise of a sequel on next gen consoles.
Yes.

And I also hope this is not the only entry in this IP. I'd love to see more.

one last thing, I was messing around before so i decided to see if I could get the kill a tallboy with the sword achievement. I stalked one for a at least ten minutes, learning its route, planning where to strike and so forth, finally decided to take action for a guard to appear out of nowhere and scupper my finely laid plans. so thinking on a the back foot, I decided to slow down time, killed the guard and blinked to the tallboy just as slow down was running and killed him. it was incredible, one of those had to be seen to believed moments.

I love this game so much.
The powers and power combinations in this game really offer some incredible choices and options on how to deal with situations.

On an unrelated note, I noticed that under "Betas" is a dev password-protected beta called "Patch -."

Seriously. That's a speedrun, not a playthrough.

I think I could beat this in less than 4 hours. I know this game inside and out. I could do a straight up beat the game in less than 4 hours. I think I could do a ghost run, in about 9. But again, I've beaten this game 3 times a multitude of ways, I know this game. It's still not a game I'd enjoy for the first time playing just blaring through everything, but it is easily doable on Very Hard.

mujun

I rarely play games a 2nd time through (unless they are RPGs ala Fallout or the 2nd time is years later) but I enjoyed this the first time so much that I decided to try a 2nd time through, this time going in guns blazing and not bothering to sneak most of the time. To be honest I didn't think the game would hold my interest long for a 2nd playthrough.

How wrong I was, got hooked again. The atmosphere I love so much combined with how different it feels playing it when played as more of an action game and all the new things I discovered (ways to kill people, way the world reacts when you raise alarms, areas you can thoroughly check when not worried about getting caught) gave me more than enough motivation to keep going.

Once again, great game IMO.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm done with this until DLC comes out. It's kind of funny that this game was made to play through multiple times and yet I can't even force myself to beat it twice because of the design choices. Everything is so easy and right in front of you that the only reason to keep exploring for new paths is simply to see how many there are and where they are. There's no logical or purposeful reason to actually keep exploring.

Took me 11 hours to do everything, and I wasn't particularly rushing. I think I must have missed some optional stuff since my figure seems lower than the norm (I did everything marked with a waypoint though). But even if that's as long as it gets, it's not bad and above my expectations for the genre. It also warrants at least one replay.

Enco

Going to other games after this isn't fun.

I miss the amazingly smooth movement. I glided from one area to another. Most other games feel really stiff in comparison.

Gaming pet hate: when the option to skip a cutscene is displayed endlessly on the screen.

It's bad enough if it appears and then fades after a while, but if it just stays there, that is the worst. I'm not pressing the button. If I've watched this much of the cutscene, does it look like I'm about to skip it now? Do you have to tell me each time? Those who are desperate to skip scenes will know the damn button after the first prompt. And if there wasn't a prompt, they would be mashing all the buttons anyway.

The correct way would be to only show the prompt after somebody has tried pressing a different button. And if it was accidental, fade the prompt again after a few seconds. Why do so many games not consider a constant prompt on a cutscene to be annoying?

rabhw

Gaming pet hate: when the option to skip a cutscene is displayed endlessly on the screen.

It's bad enough if it appears and then fades after a while, but if it just stays there, that is the worst. I'm not pressing the button. If I've watched this much of the cutscene, does it look like I'm about to skip it now? Do you have to tell me each time? Those who are desperate to skip scenes will know the damn button after the first prompt. And if there wasn't a prompt, they would be mashing all the buttons anyway.

The correct way would be to only show the prompt after somebody has tried pressing a different button. And if it was accidental, fade the prompt again after a few seconds. Why do so many games not consider a constant prompt on a cutscene to be annoying?

Dudebros gotta get back to the action quickly!

CryptiK

Really loved this game I hope they deliver on Story DLC for more in this universe.

The look and feel was also very Bioshock like which is not a bad thing.

Everything is so easy and right in front of you that the only reason to keep exploring for new paths is simply to see how many there are and where they are. There's no logical or purposeful reason to actually keep exploring.

I've only played about 2 hours and I'm getting this feeling

Human Revolution version 2

at least that game had dat cyperbunk atmosphere

Oh my goodness! This game holy crap this game. So I am doing a completely non-lethal play-through and in the first mission I go down to
Campbells room and get the Sokolov painting. On the way down to that room I take out all the guards.

For the assassination of Campbell I destroy both glasses to see what would happen. Campbell starts walking down the stairs with Curnow and says "Huh where are all the guards....hmmm" then as he is walking into his room he is talking about this Sokolov painting but as soon as he comes to where it is he screams "Its Gone! Look for it Look for it" and uses that as the excuse to get Curnow to turn his back!!

I save Curnow by choking Campbell out but I don't know what to do I haven't done a non-lethal so I figure maybe thats it but then I remember the Branding of a Heretic stuff. I pick him up take him to the interrogation room lock him in the chair and brand his face

.......0_o

GOTY

Derrick01

Banned
I've only played about 2 hours and I'm getting this feeling

Human Revolution version 2

at least that game had dat cyperbunk atmosphere

The first half of the game is really good the first time since you haven't seen anything yet. Turn everything off and get lost trying to find your way. But once you do everything once and learn the mechanics there's really no reason to go out of your way to explore. Ok so this time you found a pipe that leads around to the same spot you were last time instead of climbing along the ledge on the roof, big deal.

Took me 11 hours to do everything, and I wasn't particularly rushing. I think I must have missed some optional stuff since my figure seems lower than the norm (I did everything marked with a waypoint though). But even if that's as long as it gets, it's not bad and above my expectations for the genre. It also warrants at least one replay.

None of the big side missions are revealed through waypoints.

I think I'm done with this until DLC comes out. It's kind of funny that this game was made to play through multiple times and yet I can't even force myself to beat it twice because of the design choices. Everything is so easy and right in front of you that the only reason to keep exploring for new paths is simply to see how many there are and where they are. There's no logical or purposeful reason to actually keep exploring.

If you don't care for the backstory or atmosphere or the fun of finding cool new areas than yeah it won't compel you. I think the story for the game is great but I think the universe they are trying to establish is really fascinating. All of the notes, letters and areas you explore add a lot to the game.
The Heart
is also about the most amazing design decision they could have put in for expanding your scope of the world. When you start putting together that the
Heart is actually Jessamine Kaldwin everything it says takes on added meaning
and some of the coolest stuff it reveals is in the hidden areas. Distillery, the backyard, ect.

For me I have the exact oppositie problem. I have X-Com sitting installed on my comp and Halo 4 coming to me in a couple weeks and I am not sure Ill be done with this world yet.

Oh my goodness! This game holy crap this game. So I am doing a completely non-lethal play-through and in the first mission I go down to
Campbells room and get the Sokolov painting. On the way down to that room I take out all the guards.

For the assassination of Campbell I destroy both glasses to see what would happen. Campbell starts walking down the stairs with Curnow and says "Huh where are all the guards....hmmm" then as he is walking into his room he is talking about this Sokolov painting but as soon as he comes to where it is he screams "Its Gone! Look for it Look for it" and uses that as the excuse to get Curnow to turn his back!!

I save Curnow by choking Campbell out but I don't know what to do I haven't done a non-lethal so I figure maybe thats it but then I remember the Branding of a Heretic stuff. I pick him up take him to the interrogation room lock him in the chair and brand his face

.......0_o

GOTY

Yeah. I definitely need to pull up a nice, comfy chair outside of the box and play this game again. I did nothing even remotely this cool. I AM TRAPPED WITHIN THE TROPES OF GAMING!

Just finished. Low Chaos. Loved the game.

Moving around these environments is so satisfying. Blink makes vertical navigation as viable and accessible as sneaking on foot and moves like possess mean you'll never really be boxed in at any time. Dunwall is a fantastic and beautiful setting too. I don't know how different the endings are yet but
The static narrated ending was a bit disappointing. Would have loved seeing a full ceremony for Emily in a fancy hall or something, but I'm not completely surprised given the multiple-ending possibilities either.

Kid of sad I missed Clean Hands by one mysterious death. Can I replay that one mission and get it?

I really hope we get a sequel or a successor in terms of gameplay with the same team.

Radogol

Just finished. It is everything I hoped it to be and more.

However, I've managed to break the morality system. I was mostly non-lethal for most of the game but then killed everyone in the last mission. EVERYONE, including friendly
Callista and Samuel
. I'd say that's beyond redemption, yet I got the standard low-chaos ending.

Okay what the heck I can't find the strong arms bone charm anywhere. I have watched 2 different walk-throughs that show its location but at both places I am given something different. What gives?

They're on the critical path, you can't miss 'em.

Charms are randomized.

Ha son of a bitch!

This game is so fantastic. It changes so much going through on low-chaos compared to high. The citizens of Dunwall are actually better people.
After the first mission to kill Campbell on your way to Samuel at the boat there is a wharehouse where two guards are convinced their friend has the plague and he is trying desperately to convince them that isn't the case but they murder him anyways. On this play-through I come to that spot and the guard is begging them to kill him so he doesn't infect them or his family and they are trying to convince him they can cure him and will give him all their elixirs if they need to. "Can you kill me...Before I weep..Please can you do it Stine? I have known you longest"
THIS GAME!

Fabrik

Banned
I'm so bad at this game. I always get caught and end up killing 10 guards. I also avoid using some powers because it almost feels like cheating.

Just finished. Low Chaos. Loved the game.

Moving around these environments is so satisfying. Blink makes vertical navigation as viable and accessible as sneaking on foot and moves like possess mean you'll never really be boxed in at any time. Dunwall is a fantastic and beautiful setting too. I don't know how different the endings are yet but
The static narrated ending was a bit disappointing. Would have loved seeing a full ceremony for Emily in a fancy hall or something, but I'm not completely surprised given the multiple-ending possibilities either.

Kid of sad I missed Clean Hands by one mysterious death. Can I replay that one mission and get it?

I really hope we get a sequel or a successor in terms of gameplay with the same team.

Yep, i would like that too. All in all, it´s a great game. But i don`t want DLC, i want a fully fledged sequel.

The Chef

My saves on 360 are all of a sudden ALL screwed up. Not in order. When I hit Continue from the home screen it loads some random save file. Its INFURIATING.
Anyway to fix this??

I'm so bad at this game. I always get caught and end up killing 10 guards. I also avoid using some powers because it almost feels like cheating.

But guy... this is why you're having trouble. The whole game is designed around those powers, using them is when the game truly elevates.

SJRB

Gold Member
Am I not supposed to be able to board the train to
the Rudshore Gate?

No matter what I try, I either fall off or get electrocuted when it passes the Wall. I'm pretty sure a mission clue told me I was able to ride the train.

What am I missing?

KorrZ

the Rudshore Gate?

No matter what I try, I either fall off or get electrocuted when it passes the Wall. I'm pretty sure a mission clue told me I was able to ride the train.

What am I missing?

Jump off the train just before you hit the wall of light, then you can drop down below the tracks to get to the exit

the Rudshore Gate?

What am I missing?

Yeah, I thought so too, but I ended up getting out of that area a different way.

the Rudshore Gate?

What am I missing?

Jump off the train just before you hit the wall of light, then you can drop down below the tracks to get to the exit
Interesting
I froze time right before the wall, jumped off and removed the whale oil, then blinked back on before time resumed.

SJRB

Gold Member

Haha yes, I just figured it out.
I froze time and jumped off right in front of the wall.

Thanks for the quick reply.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
the Rudshore Gate?

What am I missing?

Interesting
I froze time right before the wall, jumped off and removed the whale oil, then blinked back on before time resumed.

See??

Look at all the options you have in the game. LOOK AT ALL THIS COOL SHIT.

Really, this game is great.

See??

Look at all the options you have in the game. LOOK AT ALL THIS COOL SHIT.

Really, this game is great.

Yup. The game is so unreal. We need to make a thread of just gif after gif of all the insanely cool shite you can do in this thing.

Sunhi where are you!?

Fabrik

Banned
But guy... this is why you're having trouble. The whole game is designed around those powers, using them is when the game truly elevates.

Well I'm only using Blink, Dark Vision, Possess and Slow. The Rat and Wind Storm attack seem too much, like throwing a grenade. I want to pretend I am stealthy but I still get noticed too often. I have to say without markers it's not always clear where you have to go and I'm never sure when guards can see me or not.

Just finished it on hard with low chaos, fantastic game. Don''t really see why people complained about the ending. It was a bit abrupt sure, but I don't necessarily think it was a bad ending.
I want more games or even an expansion pack set in the world they built.

RedSwirl

Just started the party mission, and man this place is has been really good at expanding the game's setting and whatnot. Hearing nobles
toss around ideas like deliberately instigating and losing a war to pass all their problems on to conquerers
is some of the juciest idle dialogue I've heard in games.

DocSeuss

the only reason to keep exploring for new paths is simply to see how many there are and where they are. There's no logical or purposeful reason to actually keep exploring.

Two of the most contradictory sentences I've ever seen are sitting right on top of each other.

SJRB

Gold Member
Alright, just finished it. Total anti-climax to an otherwise stellar game.

I take it low chaos results in
no guards once you reach the top of the lighthouse? And what the hell was going on inside the room with Havelock? Did he poison the other two? The music suddenly dialed up to 11 and I couldn't hear a thing he said. I just blinked behind him and choked him the fuck out. Suddenly a 10-second epilogue and roll credits. Pretty abruptly, unfortunately.

I guess I should replay that last part.

Zeliard

Ha son of a bitch!

This game is so fantastic. It changes so much going through on low-chaos compared to high. The citizens of Dunwall are actually better people.
After the first mission to kill Campbell on your way to Samuel at the boat there is a wharehouse where two guards are convinced their friend has the plague and he is trying desperately to convince them that isn't the case but they murder him anyways. On this play-through I come to that spot and the guard is begging them to kill him so he doesn't infect them or his family and they are trying to convince him they can cure him and will give him all their elixirs if they need to. "Can you kill me...Before I weep..Please can you do it Stine? I have known you longest"
THIS GAME!

One of these two people actually possesses a modicum of creativity.

branny

Interesting
Lol, my first playthrough I
waited for the train to be halfway through the wall before freezing time. I was riding on the back half and just walked through to the front half while time was frozen.

Top Bottom