• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Tizoc

I'm not that much of a Trophy Hunter, but would like to ask something for anyone who has Platinumed the game:
I plan on beating the game on a pacifist and stealth run, how hard is beating the game with only Lvl. 1 Blink if I'm playing on say Easy or Normal?

Rufus

I'm not that much of a Trophy Hunter, but would like to ask something for anyone who has Platinumed the game:
I plan on beating the game on a pacifist and stealth run, how hard is beating the game with only Lvl. 1 Blink if I'm playing on say Easy or Normal?
Difficulty is irrelevant if you plan on ghosting through it. I did it on very hard and didn't notice any difference in guard behavior or sight and hearing ranges. Blink 1 was sufficient for anything I wanted to do. Keep in mind that you can blink while you are carrying someone. Also, avoid Granny Rags' quests.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the game. Damn, this game is amazing. I wouldn't call it my GOTY, but it is definitely the best made game I have played this year. From the mechanics to the level design, everything in this game is polished to the hilt. I played through the game killing basically everyone in sight (albeit stealthily), so I want to go through it again doing it completely non-lethally. Is there a large difference between High Chaos and Low Chaos? Is it basically just less weepers in the streets?

Just finished the game. Damn, this game is amazing. I wouldn't call it my GOTY, but it is definitely the best made game I have played this year. From the mechanics to the level design, everything in this game is polished to the hilt. I played through the game killing basically everyone in sight (albeit stealthily), so I want to go through it again doing it completely non-lethally. Is there a large difference between High Chaos and Low Chaos? Is it basically just less weepers in the streets?

No, there are also many story and game differences in the second half.

BHK3

Banned
Ok so far I have 3 kills, 1 in mission 1 and 2 in mission 2 but I have NO idea where they came from. I choke everyone I 'need' to and dont use sleep darts if it means they'll fall and die. Where are these kills coming from? It's very frustrating when the missions takes me a long time to finish just to find out somewhere along the lines someone died and the game blames me for it...

Ok so far I have 3 kills, 1 in mission 1 and 2 in mission 2 but I have NO idea where they came from. I choke everyone I 'need' to and dont use sleep darts if it means they'll fall and die. Where are these kills coming from? It's very frustrating when the missions takes me a long time to finish just to find out somewhere along the lines someone died and the game blames me for it...

Falling in water maybe? I can't think of anything else, usually it's pretty obvious when you've killed someone.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have to finish all the missions during one campaign playthrough to get the no-kill no-alert achievements? Or can you go back and play levels from mission select if you happened to kill one guy along the way? Starting my non-lethal stealth run now and want to make sure I do it right.

Do you have to finish all the missions during one campaign playthrough to get the no-kill no-alert achievements? Or can you go back and play levels from mission select if you happened to kill one guy along the way? Starting my non-lethal stealth run now and want to make sure I do it right.

My understanding is you have to do it in one playthrough.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My understanding is you have to do it in one playthrough.

So let's say I get through the first two missions without killing anyone, but then on the third mission I accidentally kill someone and I only discover this after finishing the level. Do I have to replay everything from the first mission on? Or can I replay the mission I just finished and have it count?

BHK3

Banned
Falling in water maybe? I can't think of anything else, usually it's pretty obvious when you've killed someone.

That's what I'm getting frustrated about, i've even been careful about putting down guards because the game is buggy and when I put them down too fast or on a staircase they die...

1cmanny1

So let's say I get through the first two missions without killing anyone, but then on the third mission I accidentally kill someone and I only discover this after finishing the level. Do I have to replay everything from the first mission on? Or can I replay the mission I just finished and have it count?

If you just hit the replay button I would imagine it would still count.

Also make sure when you hide the bodies that you put them somewhere safe from rats.

Tanaldion

Neo Member
That's what I'm getting frustrated about, i've even been careful about putting down guards because the game is buggy and when I put them down too fast or on a staircase they die...

Have rats been eating the unconscious people?

Oop, beaten.

If you kill someone, you can reload anything, from the start of mission saves to hard saves you make yourself.

Also rats aren't really a big problem when you're going for Clean Hands since the low chaos means you only see packs of rats in scripted locations. Still good advice though, sleeping guards eaten by rats will count against you, just like having them drown or fall to their death.

VALIS

Just started this last night and I'm honestly floored so far. It reminds me a lot of Bioshock in that the world is fascinating and shows a great attention to detail and there's a sense of humor and cohesion in everything. It may not have as good a story as Bioshock, but hey, it plays better, and I'll take better gameplay over story 10 out of 10 times.

Clevinger

Guys, quick question about near the end of the game.

I just returned to the Hound Pits Pud for the last time, and I need to turn on that arc pylon but I can't find a whale oil tank, empty or full. Could anyone direct me to one? Thanks.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, quick question about near the end of the game.

I just returned to the Hound Pits Pud for the last time, and I need to turn on that arc pylon but I can't find a whale oil tank, empty or full. Could anyone direct me to one? Thanks.

On the top floor there is a whale oil tank dispenser. Get a whale oil tank from there, put it into the gizmo next to it, and fill 'er up.

You can replay the mission from the stat screen at the end of the mission. I had to do it a couple of times on my Ghost/Clean Hands run because I was getting kills I couldn't explain, and the achievements popped right up at the end. I think choosing to replay the mission is the same as loading the Mission Start save file the game creates for you when you load into a mission.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You can replay the mission from the stat screen at the end of the mission. I had to do it a couple of times on my Ghost/Clean Hands run because I was getting kills I couldn't explain, and the achievements popped right up at the end. I think choosing to replay the mission is the same as loading the Mission Start save file the game creates for you when you load into a mission.

Ah, good to know. Thanks.

Hindle

Banned
Since its likely Hitman is now ruined, I'm counting on Arkane to deliver true assassin games from now on. I cant wait for thier next game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finally got around to playing this. It's a hard game to judge. The setting is fantastic, but you don't really get to explore as much of the world as I would've like. There is immense challenge, but half the time it's based on just dumb luck. The plot is nice, but the gameplay punishes you for jumping into the role of assassin, as opposed to the world's best sleeper hold applicator. It really is a 50/50 game for me. It's a great new IP though, and I hope Arkane continues the series.

Okay I want to play doing nothing lethal, killing no one. What should I spend my money and runes on? I'm thinking the vision, blinking, possession, and slowing time skills? What about money? Should I upgrade my crossbow and use sleeping bolts? Do I get later items that are good for non lethal playthroughs I should save money for?

Also, am I better off using a controller for this game? Ive been playing m&kb but for some reason I can't play this game for long, it gives me a bit of headache. I feel like I'd be better off sitting farther away and use a controller, and I think the game may have been built more for a controller. Do you guys find this to be the case?

ArjanN

Okay I want to play doing nothing lethal, killing no one. What should I spend my money and runes on? I'm thinking the vision, blinking, possession, and slowing time skills? What about money? Should I upgrade my crossbow and use sleeping bolts? Do I get later items that are good for non lethal playthroughs I should save money for?

Also, am I better off using a controller for this game? Ive been playing m&kb but for some reason I can't play this game for long, it gives me a bit of headache. I feel like I'd be better off sitting farther away and use a controller, and I think the game may have been built more for a controller. Do you guys find this to be the case?

Try turning up the FOV in the options.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Blink and Dark Vision are probably going to be your bread and butter, but Bend Time Level 2 is also a godsend for sneaking through heavily populated areas. Possession also helps in a similar manner. Agility is probably also handy for increasing your jump height and movement speed.

As far as later upgrades, you can upgrade your boots so that walking/running doesn't cause any noise (or at least reduces it significantly).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any penalty for choking out/sleep darting innocent people like maids? Especially if you are going for a no kill/never seen run?

Nope. Just hide the bodies if you want to remain unseen.

Nope. Just hide the bodies if you want to remain unseen.

Thanks

Now how about sidequests? Are there any sidequests that are "bad" to do if you are going non lethal? Like does
poisoning the distillery cause people to die when Granny Rags asks you to do it
in the first mission?

Rufus

Btw, spotted bodies don't count as being seen so you won't fail ghosting because of it. They should, logically, but they don't. The guards just get a bit more unpredictable, but that's it.

Now how about sidequests? Are there any sidequests that are "bad" to do if you are going non lethal? Like does
poisoning the distillery cause people to die when Granny Rags asks you to do it
in the first mission?
Yes, but it doesn't count towards having killed people at the end of the level, I don't think. That said, I would avoid the Granny Rags quests altogether if you're going non-lethal. The last part of the quest counts as a kill no matter what you do. Unless something's changed in the meantime that I'm not aware of.

ZeroRay

For all it's hype, the Lady Boyle mission was not designed well at all.

I mean for God's sake, they have someone who tells you the identity of two of them; which means you know who all three of them are if you have one working brain cell. Not to mention the creeper non-lethal guy gives you the name of the target as well. Meaning you have a 66% chance of hitting your target within three minutes of entering the mansion.

It would have been better if you were required to go up to their rooms to know which lady is the right one, and the only info you get downstairs would be vague stuff that requires some thinking to piece together.

Rufus

Yeah, I love the idea and look of that mission, but it implodes three minutes in. It'd be one thing if I actually had to 'mingle' and talk to people, look for clues in their behaviour, etc.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Since its likely Hitman is now ruined, I'm counting on Arkane to deliver true assassin games from now on. I cant wait for thier next game.

me too,with Dishonored 2 Arkane can focus on polishing their ideas since they nailed the core gameplay now, Dishonored 2 as with bigger maps with more paths and powers will be freaking fantastic.

However I think Zenimax will put them to finish up Prey 2 development first (Since they have problems with Human Head) before going to Dishonored 2.

Holy shit, game of the year. And finally a game with new mechanics I've never used before.

Yup.It's GOTY 2012 so far and nothing even come close to it,so good.

Btw, spotted bodies don't count as being seen so you won't fail ghosting because of it. They should, logically, but they don't. The guards just get a bit more unpredictable, but that's it.

Yes, but it doesn't count towards having killed people at the end of the level, I don't think. That said, I would avoid the Granny Rags quests altogether if you're going non-lethal. The last part of the quest counts as a kill no matter what you do. Unless something's changed in the meantime that I'm not aware of.

So if I got rid of the thugs at her door and broke into the guys house but didn't poison the distillery yet, am I safe or am I already kind of locked in?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
me too,with Dishonored 2 Arkane can focus on polishing their ideas since they nailed the core gameplay now, Dishonored 2 as with bigger maps with more paths and powers will be freaking fantastic.

However I think Zenimax will put them to finish up Prey 2 development first (Since they have problems with Human Head) before going to Dishonored 2.

I really hope Arkane's next game is Dishonored 2 because hot damn did I have fun with this one. It was easily one of the most refreshing games I've played this gen. I don't think I'd call it my GOTY (that honor goes to RE6.
stop judging me
), but it's definitely runner-up on my list.

Like you said, now that Arkane has nailed the mechanics and "feel" of the game, they can focus on expanding their ideas in the next game. I'm basically looking for the kind of jump that Rocksteady had going from Arkham Asylum, which was a game with good mechanics whose levels felt a little awkward, to Arkham City, the game that was my GOTY 2011. That would truly be something to watch.

I can't blame you for Hitman negativity given the pessimism in the OT, but even if Absolution turns out to be terrible, the fact that there's already another installment in the works by a different studio with a strong stealth pedigree (Square Enix Montreal) gives me hope for the future of the franchise.

On topic, Dishonored, while not perfect, was excellent, and I very much look forward to Arkane refining their approach to immersive sims in their next game.

Rufus

So if I got rid of the thugs at her door and broke into the guys house but didn't poison the distillery yet, am I safe or am I already kind of locked in?
I don't know how it works if you don't do the entire quest chain. I only know that if you follow it through to then end, you'll have to kill someone one way or another, even if you technically don't (by using sleep darts).
You might be fine if you leave it at this point, I suppose.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how it works if you don't do the entire quest chain. I only know that if you follow it through to then end, you'll have to kill someone one way or another, even if you technically don't (by using sleep darts).
You might be fine if you leave it at this point, I suppose.

I don't know about you guys, but in my first playthrough I did all the Granny Rags missions, and when it came to the end
I snuck in on Granny Rags and whatshisface and just pickpocketed the key off Granny Rags then ran back to the door. I left whatchamacallhim to fend for himself.
Didn't have to kill/fight anyone.

Rufus

I don't know about you guys, but in my first playthrough I did all the Granny Rags missions, and when it came to the end
I snuck in on Granny Rags and whatshisface and just pickpocketed the key off Granny Rags then ran back to the door. I left whatchamacallhim to fend for himself.
Didn't have to kill/fight anyone.
Actually, I didn't even think of that solution, good point.

I 'killed' Granny with a sleep dart my first time through.

Uthred

So now the games been out for a while how big a discrepancy is there between simply playing through the game following mission objectives and playing through the game exploring ? 10 hours? 20 hours? Have Arkane done themselves a dis-service by not highlighting their work better?

d00d3n

So now the games been out for a while how big a discrepancy is there between simply playing through the game following mission objectives and playing through the game exploring ? 10 hours? 20 hours? Have Arkane done themselves a dis-service by not highlighting their work better?

Exploring everything and doing pretty much everything possible it took me 44 hours to complete the game. I would guess that the difference is 20 hours minimum, probably closer to 30 hours actually.

I just started playing this, and I was immediately sucked in... which rarely ever happens to me with games anymore since I've become so jaded. It's been a while since I felt this way about a game.

I would like to maximize the enjoyment of my first playthrough... Any quick pointers and recommended settings (difficulty/HUD options, etc.) would be appreciated. This is a mammoth thread and I'm trying to learn as little as possible, yet I'd like to benefit from consensus/advice of people who have played it before I dive in, since I'm likely only going to play it once.

TTG

Made it to the masquerade party and while, on paper, it has a lot of the qualities I look for in videogames, I'm not actually having much fun with it. That's vague, isn't it? Here are some more vague feelings: There's not much excitement, I don't look forward to turning it on and at no point do I feel that I'm sucked in and can't put it down. It hasn't surprised me and, on the flip side, I don't feel like I've been doing anything particularly clever to catch the game unawares. That makes it sound a lot worse than it actually is, I'm enjoying the game... well here's the thing.

I love the verticality and, at least the promise, of a fast and agile main character. In my mind, I have constructed what I want the game to feel like. I'm fast, decisive, opportunistic. I take advantage of the smallest gaps in the enemy's defenses, combining powers to pull off moves that would be impossible in other stealth games. Because of the unshackled, acrobatic movement, I'm always on the hunt. I'm not stuck, splinter cell style, in some dark corner. Wringing my hands, waiting for a moment where a conversation ends or a guard saunters over to a spot I deem safe enough to come out of hiding and get him for. I only pause to come up with a strategy, to plan my route, take in the scene before I dive in.

At times, it feels like the game really aspires to be all these things, but I get something else instead. First off, don't let that awesome slide from sprint to crouch or the ability to stay perched on a AC vent above your enemies like Batman fool you. If it weren't for blink, this would play as slow as any other stealth game on the market. The noise levels, fail states and level design conspire to do that. Secondly, this isn't a stealth and RPG version of a Halo type sandbox. This is much less about creativity and much, much more about Deus Ex-esque(say that 3 times fast) level design. What I mean by that is, here's 5 ways clear cut ways to run through this mission, go ahead and choose one. And if you're feeling frisky, switch to another mid way through! Now, combine that with the Hitman condensed version of assassination variety and you're left with plenty of choices... and none of them feel like YOU came up with them yourself. We can argue about what qualifies as genuine creativity and strategy on the player's part, but needless to say, there's nothing satisfying about following a clearly cut out path, from the ground level, to around a building via some conveniently placed unbroken path(much more aesthetically pleasing than the inside of a ventilation system, I'll give them that), to an open window in the room of where your target resides for the duration of the mission. The fact that I could have went through the sewer or possessed a rat doesn't make the experience any better... but I'm ranting now.

These are still early impressions. I did rewire the wall of light and that spotlight cannon at the same checkpoint, resulting in a slaughter of every guard in the area without ever being detected. That was pretty cool.

Labadal

Bought the damn game on release but haven't had the time to play much. Finally finished the first mission. Went the non-lethal way, wich isn't very difficult on Very Hard. Blink and Bend Time makes it easy to avoid guards. Still having a lot of fun. From what I have played, it'll probably be in my top 10 GOTY list.

TTG

The scene back at the... SPOILARS!
pit fight pub, I think it's called, the bar!
is the absolute highlight of the game. Sneak around the level until you have the drop on a tall boy. Blink right on top of him, one hit kill, then spend the next 5 minutes playing cat and mouse with the guards. Lose them in the building, then double back and take just one out, watch them scurry, fall into your traps. Why couldn't more of the game be like that?! Why did I spend 90% of it avoiding alarming anyone instead of dictating the terms so when the shit does hit the fan, I have the advantage. Instead, I spent my time trying to prevent aforementioned shit from ever hitting the fan, at least on a bigger scale than alerting 1-2 enemies at a time(hey, I even got an achievement for not alerting anyone).

Hey, Arkane! More sandboxy stuff on the next go around, ok?

Dantis

I'm still listening to Honor For All fairly regularly.

Can't believe what a 180 I did on this game. Completely indifference in the first part, then suddenly it clicked and I decided it was one of the best games this year.

Funny, that.

As a side note, am I right in thinking that you can't buy the soundtrack anywhere?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous

Maybe you choked someone and then rats ate the unconscious guy?

Top Bottom