• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Finished this up today. Was a pretty decent game overall. I really enjoyed the levels like the masquerade and I wish the entire game was more along those lines. The game fights with itself too much though, to be a wholly enjoyable or cohesive experience. You're given the role of assassin, but assassination causes the game to judge you. You're given a range of abilities, but the vast majority of them are offensive in nature. You're actively punished for being overly offensive in nature though. Playing a stealth character, you're only going to need 2 of the abilities and will be punished for using the others - IE, they'll cause deaths which you'll be judged for later.

The narrative is boilerplate and every development along the way is blindingly obvious, but it serves the game well enough. I would've like more exploration of the ties from Corvo to the royal family, maybe make the game give you at least a token reason to care when, 30 seconds into the game, it's taken from you.

I would love a 2nd Dishonored, hopefully one that ditches the lame duck attempt at a morality play, one that lets you play the style that you want without the game telling you that you are a Very Bad Person for playing the role it gives you, with the tools it gives you.

despire

I'm interested in buying this game. From what I've gathered it's a pretti awesome game but there's some minor bugs that get in your way. Has there been any patch to fix these issues?

Also, this or the new Hitman?

Dishonored is one of the top games of the year for me. Several Gaffers have said it's not challenging enough as a stealth game, but the true appeal is how you're rewarded for exploring stealthily. I plan to get Hitman as well, but based on the reviews and Gaffers who already have access to Absolution, it pales in comparison to Blood Money in that regard. Dishonored seems like the clear choice if you're only going to play one.

I'm interested in buying this game. From what I've gathered it's a pretti awesome game but there's some minor bugs that get in your way. Has there been any patch to fix these issues?

I would say Hitman is a summer blockbuster. Great graphics ( among the best of the generation, that Glacier 2 engine is top notch ) and great gameplay.
Dishonored on the other hand surely had lower budget, but is very polished and artistically has a lot of personality and, the most important, from the moment you start playing it you feel it is a small master piece...

Dakota47

This works for the EU as well, the price is 20 euros. That's a steal so short after release, so I went for it. Can't wait to dig into this game.

Dishonored for $24 at GMG using voucher: GMG20-1FYLZ-EDG8R

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dishonored/

GMG bringing their own great deals.

EDIT for another voucher:

Should have used GMG25-G4VDR-0ZL4Q for 18,75€. Not a big difference, just a reminder for anyone else who missed that there are two vouchers.

d1rtn4p

I loved Arkane's first release Arx Fatalis. It was a great homage to Ultima Underworld and had a lot wide-open levels to explore, and cool things to discover. I think Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is one of my most hated games ever however; it felt like a generic linear first-person shooter. Where would I stand with Dishonored?

Forkball

Really liking this game so far, but it is crashing when I try to leave the Galvani mansion in the Golden Cat mission. I looked it up online and apparently many people have this problem. The game's been out a month and it's still not fixed? I know Bethesda didn't develop this game but... Bethesda'd. Guess I have to restart the mission or load an earlier auto save. Sucks, I wanted to see what Slackjaw's plan was.

Steam says I have 5.1 hours of playtime, and I haven't even finished the first real mission yet. This is one of those games I really like to take my time with, play stealthily, and find every secret possible. I know some people have said the game was short for them, but I don't think I'll have that problem.

I love stealth, and I also love games that focus a lot on movement. Blink is awesome because of that.

Also, trying to play through the game without quicksave-whoring. I'm typically one that does that every time I screw up, even if I didn't die. I'm finding it much more enjoyable when, even when something goes poorly, I keep playing in an effort to continue through my objective.

Forkball

Beat the second mission, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it more than the first. I am trying to do nonlethal, but you know, things happen. Like reprogramming a watch tower. Or an electric fence. Is there any real consequences for high chaos? A little popup said the world would get more depressing with zombies everywhere (why does every game have to have zombies why why why) but I wonder if the changes are really that big.

Dakota47

Beat the second mission, it was a lot of fun and I enjoyed it more than the first. I am trying to do nonlethal, but you know, things happen. Like reprogramming a watch tower. Or an electric fence. Is there any real consequences for high chaos? A little popup said the world would get more depressing with zombies everywhere (why does every game have to have zombies why why why) but I wonder if the changes are really that big.

I'm wondering about this too. Not that I'd change my play style - playing lethal is fun in this game - but I'm just wondering about the consequences.

As for gameplay, there are more guards and more rats.
As for story, there are some somewhat significant differences in the second half of the game.

Kard8p3

Finally picked this game back up after beating it using stealth the first time, going through and wrecking EVERYTHING feels oh so good. I love this game so much.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Everyone must die. My army of rats show no mercy. From the very first moment I saw them devour two guards, even their bones, it was love.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Got this from GMG and I have to say its pretty damned awesome. Almost done with the first assassination mission, really taking my time and exploring everything. The stealth and kills are just as rewarding (the kills even more so) as deus ex. I love all the different paths and options available. I have been playing and then watching a buddy play staggered behind me by a few hours. It's amazing how differently each scenario plays out between the two of us.

Looking forward to playing some more.

Also, please tell me this game sold okay? At least enough to warrant a sequel? The steep sales have me a bit worried that we won't see an awesome next gen version of Dishonored...

The reviews and word of mouth hopefully gave it what it needed..?

Dakota47

Finished the first proper assassination after more than five hours of playing. I'm quite sure I'm going to get my money's worth out of this game.

e76u6.jpg

Finished the game just now. No kill + no alert + Very Hard playthrough from the start. Feels good, man. Great game. Beautiful art style, lovely powers.
Story could have been better and IMHO it was very predictable but I loved the choices and pacing.

P.S. I didn't get the Ghost cheevo even though every mission log says I didn't kill or alert anyone. *sigh*

later I found out that by helping Slackjaw and getting rid of Granny Rags counts as a kill. :/

Every fan of stealth should play this game. Brilliant new IP so late in the generation. I hope to see more of the Dishonored universe in the future.

edit: regarding the spoiler tag, I asked Harvey Smith about it. He said it was a glitch.

Coen

Just started this game, finished the second mission, and I'm having tons of fun finding different ways to traverse the area. I'd wanted to go no kills, but that seemed impossible at the first Granny Rags mission I stumbled upon. Taking care of three guys without killing at least one of them that early in the game? I still have no idea how to do that. Anyway, I've stopped caring to much about achievements now and it's actually been a nice experience, trying to avoid contact when possible, but not restarting whenever I get detected.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just started this game, finished the second mission, and I'm having tons of fun finding different ways to traverse the area. I'd wanted to go no kills, but that seemed impossible at the first Granny Rags mission I stumbled upon. Taking care of three guys without killing at least one of them that early in the game? I still have no idea how to do that. Anyway, I've stopped caring to much about achievements now and it's actually been a nice experience, trying to avoid contact when possible, but not restarting whenever I get detected.

I would assume could just use 3 sleeping darts on them if you were going for no kills?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

If you're going for no kills it's actually easier to avoid talking to Granny Rags and Slackjaw completely. However if you really wanna go that route, then yes you can just sleep dart them all. Blink to a high vantage point so they don't see you though.

Lame, apparently I killed somebody in the last mission I completed. =( I was going for completely non-lethal. I know I could have replayed the mission, but really just wanted to keep playing.

If you're going for no kills it's actually easier to avoid talking to Granny Rags and Slackjaw completely. However if you really wanna go that route, then yes you can just sleep dart them all. Blink to a high vantage point so they don't see you though.

For no kills you can't avoid Slackjaw, right? He gives you the non-lethal method for the targets.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
For no kills you can't avoid Slackjaw, right? He gives you the non-lethal method for the targets.

Hmm this is true. I wonder if talking to Slackjaw in that mission but avoiding Granny Rags in the previous mission affects the event later? I did both and still managed to finish the game with no kills/alerts (got the Achievement), but I haven't tried this way.

Hmm this is true. I wonder if talking to Slackjaw in that mission but avoiding Granny Rags in the previous mission affects the event later? I did both and still managed to finish the game with no kills/alerts (got the Achievement), but I haven't tried this way.

Yes it does.

When you get to the old sewer there's no confrontation between Granny Rags and Slackjaw: the door is simply open.

Pretty convenient for no kills run.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it does.

When you get to the old sewer there's no confrontation between Granny Rags and Slackjaw: the door is simply open.

Pretty convenient for no kills run.

Ah, interesting. In my run
there was a confrontation between the two, but I just pickpocketed the key off Granny Rags and ran back to the door.
Managed to snag the no kill achievement that way.

Forkball

Beat the fifth mission and
the twist was pretty obvious. I TOTALLY TRUST YOU MILITARY LEADER, RELIGIOUS LEADER, HUGO WEAVING-ESQUE NOBILITY, AND CREEPY TECH NERD
. I did my first nonlethal assassination as well, it was actually fairly straightforward and easy. I should look up how you do the others because I really had no idea this was even possible.

Regarding the spoiler part above me:
yep, that "twist" was way too predictable and is by far the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. Luckily the gameplay and art style make up for the sub-par story.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Finished it! No kills, no alerts, no upgrades whatsoever! Awesome game, awesome universe. And kinda great story.

Ending spoilers
It was kinda sudden, I thought I would at least see Emily get named as an Empress, but I liked the ending overall, quite happy. But it really saddened me that Corvo never found true love ;_; (or maybe Emily was his daughter with the former Empress)

Can't wait for the story DLC.

Also, I can't help but to think, that some special actions I did really had no impact on the ending. Glad to see that Bethesda is happy with sales, if there's a game that deserves it, it's this one. Would love to see what they'd do with Dishonored 2 next-gen.

Just started this up today, I'm getting into the first mission. I'm warming up to it but there is one big thing that really irks me: if you're going to make a game that includes load screen warnings to "save often" while providing a pretty limited amount of save slots, the least you could do is let me press, like, RB in the save menu to just overwrite the oldest save right away, or at the VERY least immediately jump to the bottom of the list. It is really quite annoying considering I am one of those guys that will save all the time and reload quite often till I get a scenario just right.

Other than that relatively small (but annoying issue), this game seems like it is pretty much right up my alley. I'm excited to stab some assholes in the face and the world seems really interesting, I'm finding myself consuming every bit of fiction I can find with an eagerness I haven't felt since Deus Ex:HR. Very excited to move forward.

ctrayne

Heads up: perhaps old, but very useful, for the PC players in here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2964837

I followed these tweaks to the engine file. Coupled with SGSSAA this really makes the game shine. I'm noticing little details here and there I didn't before, and distant textures load up quickly with no texture LOD/pop-in. Beautiful.

There is also a tweak on that page that removes the disappearing bodies. Enjoy!

Also, a nice little article on the heart: (spoilers!)
http://www.blog.radiator.debacle.us/2012/11/dishonoreds-narrative-design-how-heart.html

Forkball

I BEAT IT. Here's my astute analysis:

+ The levels are extremely well designed and suit various playstyles. I was sometimes amazed to find routes I had missed, or paths I thought I couldn't take but were actually viable. They are also set up if you want to stage an action scene or cleverly laid out so you can sneak past anyone.
+ The missions had a lot of variety in not only how you can complete them, but the setting and general atmosphere. You raid massive compounds, crash fancy parties, explore a ruined district, scrounge around a pub and more. I didn't think any two missions were close to each other in execution even though they sometimes had similar settings.
+ The artstyle is very well developed. It's steampunk, but not in a stereotypical way. There's a hodgepodge of influences, but it comes together to make a very fleshed out and believable world. Though places can look wildly different, they make sense and are still visually unique despite similar elements. I do think Corvo's mask looks kind of dumb.
+The worldbuilding is very interesting. I like the mix of technology and magic, you don't really see that touched on so often, it's often one or the other.
+ The tools at your disposal are a lot of fun. Blink is of course the highlight. The lethal weapons are also too tempting not to try out every now and then. Plus, rewiring the enemy's machines creates a lot of unexpected chaos.

- I know some people are getting 20-30 hours out of this game, but I felt that the main story is really just too short. I beat it in 10 hours which seems to be the standard. I did my fair share of sidequests and tried to find the runes/charms etc. on a mostly stealthy playthrough.
-Story was kind of bleh. Corvo is a dull silent protagonist, the twists were very obvious, and some things weren't explained or just shoved in there. There were some interesting nods to what The Outsider's deal is, but we never got a real answer. There's a rat plague for some reason, honestly that part of the plot is just there. And I still don't get what was with the whales. Is this symbolic or something? So many books about whaaaaaaaaales.
- I felt that the chaos system was kind of punishing if you wanted to action it up. If they wanted this game to make you feel like there are consequences to your action, instead of disallowing you from killing an arbitrary number of people, what if the IMPORTANT people you kill/save have some effect on the story. I mean let's say you don't kill a target... well whoopdy doo, it doesn't matter since they have no real impact on the story. I would like the consequences to be more grey, and killing/not-killing a target to have some effect on the game later on.
- Get rid of the mana bar. It was boring waiting for it to charge after every blink. This is a stealth action game, not an RPG, let us go crazy with our powers.

Overall I thought it's a great game and I can't wait for DLC/sequels. I thought the ending was somewhat anticlimatic, but it was fun to
reload the autosave to see how many different ways you can take out Havelock

Rufus

-Story was kind of bleh. Corvo is a dull silent protagonist, the twists were very obvious, and some things weren't explained or just shoved in there. There were some interesting nods to what The Outsider's deal is, but we never got a real answer. There's a rat plague for some reason, honestly that part of the plot is just there. And I still don't get what was with the whales. Is this symbolic or something? So many books about whaaaaaaaaales.
It was obviously an afterthought. They decided on what it was going to be really late, and I think it shows. Great world, meh plot.
I thought Corvo could have used some identity as well. It only enhanced the Thief games, which Dishonored is very much inspired by. Instead, Emily's character will change depending on how you play, which I found rather bizarre. Instead of fleshing out the empty husk that is Corvo, they adapt Emily, who already has some semblance of an identity to suit your play style. Strikes me as rather convoluted.

About the rat plague:
It's revealed that the former Spymaster introduced the plague rats to get rid of the poor. It spiraled out of control (unsurprisingly) and the Empress eventually got too close to the truth so he had her assassinated.

So I finally beat the game... is a good game but not enough, there's no highlight, not enough surprise or special mission, the pacing is terrible and some features like pay for a better equipment are totally useless.

The setting, like in HL2, is awesome but is so underdeveloped, not enough background. They put those book around but they are so boring to read.

Reading the end credits I discovered that motion capture was recorded at the quantic dreams studios, cool.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on my third playthrough right now (already got Ghost and Clean Hands achievement, currently working on Mostly Flesh and Steel), and the game keeps surprising me with new ways to complete missions. I played the
Kaldwin's Bridge
level and found a way to get to the objective without even having to bother going through the house and working my way through the walls of light and guards.

Amazing. This game just keeps on giving and giving. I could play through this game 10 times and still not see everything it contains.

Rufus

Did you go straight to the roof of his house via that one really tall chimney?
I did that the first time through, not expecting that you could actually go that way (because other games have conditioned me to expect being funneled a particular direction), did the deed, then went back and explored the house anyway because that felt too easy.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I BEAT IT. Here's my astute analysis:

- I felt that the chaos system was kind of punishing if you wanted to action it up. If they wanted this game to make you feel like there are consequences to your action, instead of disallowing you from killing an arbitrary number of people, what if the IMPORTANT people you kill/save have some effect on the story. I mean let's say you don't kill a target... well whoopdy doo, it doesn't matter since they have no real impact on the story. I would like the consequences to be more grey, and killing/not-killing a target to have some effect on the game later on.
- Get rid of the mana bar. It was boring waiting for it to charge after every blink. This is a stealth action game, not an RPG, let us go crazy with our powers.

I agree with this, I wish I could use blink more often, since well, I used it only when I knew I wouldn't get spotted by a guard.

Also, Corvo shouldn't have been silent, there were some instances where he should have talked but didn't.

The whales were important since that's from where the fuel that fuels everything comes from, there are no other methods of obtaining energy (which I don't mind, since it could be used as a plot point for a sequel).

The Outsider's mysteriousness was understandable since this is just the first game in the series (hopefully), so I expect to see him more. Also, I understand about the characters we killed, I wish I knew more about them instead of just bulletpoints. Really made Corvo like a killing machine or a guy who just does what he's told.

Man, I love this game.

So out of curiosity, those that finished the game quickly, did you go for a mainly lethal/non-stealth approach? Because I'm at 20 hours and just started the final level. Granted, I really take my time and explore the levels thoroughly, and am playing primarily non-lethal. Stealth and non-lethal do take some time, and I make sure to pick up every bone charm and rune, eavesdrop as much as possible, etc. For me, I haven't experienced the short nature of the game that others have reported. In fact, it's lasted about three levels longer then I thought it would.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did you go straight to the roof of his house via that one really tall chimney?
I did that the first time through, not expecting that you could actually go that way (because other games have conditioned me to expect being funneled a particular direction), did the deed, then went back and explored the house anyway because that felt too easy.

There is a chain hanging outside his penthouse that you can jump onto from a nearby building.
Didn't even choke the guard out, went into the building, did the deed, and blinked back out. It was pretty liberating, considering I did it the hard way the first time around.

Jhoan

Been playing this game over the weekend and I'm enjoying it. I love talking to all the NPC's in home base hub area to see what they have to say as well as the little changes and details each time, and contemplating on how to best navigate through environments without being caught or seen.
Emily's drawing of Corvo made me say "Aww."
The art direction is amazingly good. My only gripe is the stiff jerky animation that happens when NPC's put away their guns. The fast choking bone charm has done wonders on this run (forgot to finish my train of thought here).

I'm doing a no kill/ghost/low chaos/blink only run. It's been pretty satisfying. The good old reliable crossbow with sleep darts and the mask scope has done wonders thanks to it being a good sniping tool. Also sneaking up and choking unsuspecting guards and NPC's feels satisfying.This game has an excellent sense of vertical levels done right.

As for
Kalwin's Bridge, I ended up taking out a few guys through roof areas, teleported to Sokolov's roof, choked out the guy there, and entered his green house without ever having gone through the bottom.

Now, the next mission that I'm up to is the
Masquerade party one
which I won't have time to play until some time next weekend if not, until after I'm done with final exams. I'm pretty impressed with the game overall and its lore is intriguing.

Kard8p3

So I have a question regarding how to get a bone charm..

It's right after you come back from Kaldwin Bridge, it's in the abandoned apartment. For the life of me I can never find a way inside..

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a question regarding how to get a bone charm..

It's right after you come back from Kaldwin Bridge, it's in the abandoned apartment. For the life of me I can never find a way inside..

There's a key under one of the beds in the servants quarters. You learn about it by talking to one of the servants (the redhead I think).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Dishonored received a 18.6 MB patch today, but I can't find any information on it.

Anyone know what's in it?

Top Bottom