• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Luigi87

$41 for Dishonored from GMG get, thanks to 25% code, and $4 credit of GMG being cool and crediting me the difference, when I messaged them feeling a tad burned by buying Borderlands 2 early, then them having it at a lower price later before launch.

theDeeDubs

This isn't the game to "teach Bethesda a lesson" by buying Dishonored used. If anything, it will just send a message to not take chances on publishing games like this. Then your stuck with gamebryo games that continue to sell well regardless. I'm probably not as salty as most because I didn't hit issues with Skyrim until 100+ hours in and I had it almost plat'd at that point. I had way worse issues with FO3 and have experience their buggy ass games since Daggerfall so maybe I just knew what I was getting into, but my point still stands. This message will have the exact opposite effect of its intent. If the game looks good to you, support the damn thing.

Anyways, this PSN theme is making the wait even harder. The artstyle is so damn gorgeous. Wish it had a third person view since I really like his costume design.

Derrick01

Banned
This isn't the game to "teach Bethesda a lesson" by buying Dishonored used. If anything, it will just send a message to not take chances on publishing games like this. Then your stuck with gamebryo games that continue to sell well regardless. I'm probably not as salty as most because I didn't hit issues with Skyrim until 100+ hours in and I had it almost plat'd at that point. I had way worse issues with FO3 and have experience their buggy ass games since Daggerfall so maybe I just knew what I was getting into, but my point still stands. This message will have the exact opposite effect of its intent. If the game looks good to you, support the damn thing.

Anyways, this PSN theme is making the wait even harder. The artstyle is so damn gorgeous. Wish it had a third person view since I really like his costume design.

I'm salty not because the games ran poorly, quite the opposite for me actually, it's what those games represent. Skyrim is one of the most dumbed down RPGs I've ever played and it's currently over 10 million copies sold. Shit like that should not be what people look to when making games, as well as the normal garbage shooters like COD and Resident Evil. We desperately need smarter and more open games. That's why this game isn't the one to teach anyone a lesson.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm salty not because the games ran poorly, quite the opposite for me actually, it's what those games represent. Skyrim is one of the most dumbed down RPGs I've ever played and it's currently over 10 million copies sold. Shit like that should not be what people look to when making games, as well as the normal garbage shooters like COD and Resident Evil. We desperately need smarter and more open games. That's why this game isn't the one to teach anyone a lesson.

We do need smarter and more open, emergent games. But the games you mention sell well because they're accessible and easy. This is the way it is and always will be, and is not exclusive to gaming in the realm of entertainment. The mass market/public will not be interested in complex, involved games that have steep learning curves, or require a lot of player investment for the payoff. Even if others, like you and I, appreciate this design, it is not mass market.

The problem isn't so much Skyrim selling 10 million copies sold. Hardcore RPGs are never going to pull those numbers. The problem is the overbearing, shareholder and profit driven industry nullifying the existence of any game that does not fit the "lots of money, fast" archetype. Those wanting to make a fortune have no interesting in nurturing an industry that supports "middle games" because those games don't make them rich.

I'm sure a lot of developers lament the direction the industry has taken, even if they understand their niche, clever titles will not make them world superstars. They, just like us, want an industry that allows all kinds of games to exist, and succeed as appropriately as they can.

Hmmm...which animated shorts would you be referring to?

The three part Tales from Dunwall shorts. Check the OP.

Hindle

Banned
I really dont think this will flop, one look at the game tells me it's not had a big budget. If it can sell 1m over the next few months it should be ok.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
bomba of the year. Probably less than 500k on consoles. and 200k on pc

Too much marketing for bomba of the year (too much to fail, I mean). The game will probably be hurt by mixed critical reception (by mixed I mean 83-85 on MC) because some people are too dumb. But it will do one million easily. I mean Rage did 1,5 million copies and it was a mixed bag of a game rated pretty poorly. Dishonored has better momentum now.

smr00

Banned
Going to have to wait a week before i decide if i want it.

Bethesda's track record for games that run ok on PS3 is about 0-10. I know it's not on their engine and it's not developed by them but i have been burned too many times.

GorillaJu

Shorter/smaller OTs are much, much better than those big ridiculous threads that reach OT2 before release (like Diablo 3). It's got no bearing on the quality of the game and it just serves to make the backlash more severe if the game doesn't live up to its ludicrous expectations.

Besides almost nothing of import is said in an OT before the game comes out anyway, just people saying "PRE-ORDERED! DAY ONE! IT'S GONNA BE MY GOTY!"

foxdvd

if you are on the fence, and want the console versions you could use the EMCJNNH224 code at newegg and get it for 47 bucks free shipping...

I am here for this OT. :) 360 player here.

Also my wife watches this show called "Face Off" where they get makeup/special effect guys to do some crazy challenges. Kinda like Next Top Model or something like that. Well the latest episode had a Dishonored challenge and they were tasked to create a character with the same style as the Dishonored characters. Below is a picture of the dude that won and the dude that lost (respectively):

2335754-s03_e0306_14_134858893853___cc___640x360_super.jpg

2335753-545723_507346295959927_2046636272_n_super.jpg

Totally worth watching as several of the characters created were pretty damn awesome.

Shorter/smaller OTs are much, much better than those big ridiculous threads that reach OT2 before release (like Diablo 3). It's got no bearing on the quality of the game and it just serves to make the backlash more severe if the game doesn't live up to its ludicrous expectations.

Besides almost nothing of import is said in an OT before the game comes out anyway, just people saying "PRE-ORDERED! DAY ONE! IT'S GONNA BE MY GOTY!"

I guess you're right, but I think you can pretty much set your watch by GAF backlash to any OT longer than about 8 pages regardless of the game.

I was just trying to express that I was excited and wished more people were ;p

Guess you wouldn't be too much of a fan of the Halo OT9 then? lol...

So what pre-order bonus is everyone looking at? Part of me is looking at the Best Buy one for the noise reduction and peephole mainly. As an ol' Thief player I want to see how much well I can avoid confrontation. Also the USB lamp is kinda cool.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I want this game so bad, but I stopped buying games day 1. My backlog is too huge to be able to spend 50€ on a game.

ctrayne

So what pre-order bonus is everyone looking at? Part of me is looking at the Best Buy one for the noise reduction and peephole mainly. As an ol' Thief player I want to see how much well I can avoid confrontation. Also the USB lamp is kinda cool.

IMO, just don't use the pre-order stuff. I'm chucking the code that comes with my Amazon order. Not interested; the base game will be balanced well enough.

(but if I was to get one, I'm with you - sneaky!)

abunai

Ugh staggered release dates, really? This is 2012. Getting sick of this.

Don't know why I'm complaining though, probably won't be able to actually play it for a few weeks. WoooOO dissertations.

Jb

Bonus de précommande épuisé
Attention: suite à une très forte demande, l'offre de bonus de précommande est maintenant épuisée.
(Amazon)

Fuck me, no bonuses left, should have pre ordered earlier.

GorillaJu

Guess you wouldn't be too much of a fan of the Halo OT9 then? lol...

I can only imagine. I've never set foot in a Halo OT (no hate its just a series I never got into). The Diablo 3 OT was absolutely horrifying, though, to me. Before the OT was even out, people were posting things like "I can't sleep because the OT is coming out tomorrow and I'm too excited!"

This thread has a great OT, for what it's worth. Thanks Salsa. Go Suarez/Cavani/Ramirez/Lugano/Uruguay etc.

So you want to punish one of only very few unique games this generation because of what another developers have done on the PS3 version of another game?

By the point in Skyrim when my playthrough literally became a slideshow of frames, I swore to myself out of principle that I would never give money to Bethesda again. Dishonoured is the first Bethesda-involved game since Skyrim that I'm interested in, and while they only have a publishing role this time, the principle still stands: I cannot bring myself to financially support a company who had the gall to release a broken trainwreck of a product like PS3 Skyrim to the unsuspecting public. Sucks for Arkane, but ignoring the principle of it all, I'm merely one sale regardless. I'm an ardent supporter of "unique games" anyway; I pre-order niche and below-the-radar games frequently.

Alright I think I am going comfy couch on this one which is odd but I really want to just get settled in for this game. Now to wait for the comparison articles.

Double D

Was going to get it on PC, but I just realized Redbox is getting it. I haven't done the Redbox Poopsock Challenge™ since Amazing Spider-man.

Eideka

Banned
World-class OP Salsa.

9th of October can't come soon enough. My most anticipated game along with Assassin's Creed 3.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Heads up guys, anyone wanting the console version (you can get the PC version as well, I'd guess. Although PC guys are probably getting it from GMG for cheaper) can get it from Newegg for $48 with this promo code: EMCJNNH224

I haven't preordered from Newegg before, but from what I hear, you can get it anywhere from release day to a couple days after. Not a bad deal.

.la1n

I am here for this OT. :) 360 player here.

Also my wife watches this show called "Face Off" where they get makeup/special effect guys to do some crazy challenges. Kinda like Next Top Model or something like that. Well the latest episode had a Dishonored challenge and they were tasked to create a character with the same style as the Dishonored characters. Below is a picture of the dude that won and the dude that lost (respectively):

2335754-s03_e0306_14_134858893853___cc___640x360_super.jpg

2335753-545723_507346295959927_2046636272_n_super.jpg

Totally worth watching as several of the characters created were pretty damn awesome.

Wow at the top design, it's fantastic.

codhand

Developed by Arkane Studios (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic)
Creative Directors: Harvey Smith (Deus Ex), Raphaël Colantonio
Lead Designer: Ricardo Bare (Deus Ex)
Visual Design Director: Viktor Antonov (Half-Life 2)

Ooooh, now I get it. Thanks thread.

Top Bottom