• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored |OT| The belle of the ball

Heads up guys, anyone wanting the console version (you can get the PC version as well, I'd guess. Although PC guys are probably getting it from GMG for cheaper) can get it from Newegg for $48 with this promo code: EMCJNNH224

I haven't preordered from Newegg before, but from what I hear, you can get it anywhere from release day to a couple days after. Not a bad deal.

Thanks fracas. :) Being that Dishonored is not a multiplayer game I don't need it at midnight so I think I might do this.

Wow at the top design, it's fantastic.

You should have seen the guy on the show. He's got gang tattoos, a cigar, and is just a crazy awesome character to begin with. Btw these characters are actual people, not just sculptures. Again it is well worth the watch for anyone who loves the artistic style of Dishonored.

RedSwirl

Right now this is on my GameFly rental list, but I predict that I'll probably play it for about an hour before running out to get a physical PC copy.

Derrick01

Banned
We do need smarter and more open, emergent games. But the games you mention sell well because they're accessible and easy. This is the way it is and always will be, and is not exclusive to gaming in the realm of entertainment. The mass market/public will not be interested in complex, involved games that have steep learning curves, or require a lot of player investment for the payoff. Even if others, like you and I, appreciate this design, it is not mass market.

The problem isn't so much Skyrim selling 10 million copies sold. Hardcore RPGs are never going to pull those numbers. The problem is the overbearing, shareholder and profit driven industry nullifying the existence of any game that does not fit the "lots of money, fast" archetype. Those wanting to make a fortune have no interesting in nurturing an industry that supports "middle games" because those games don't make them rich.

I'm sure a lot of developers lament the direction the industry has taken, even if they understand their niche, clever titles will not make them world superstars. They, just like us, want an industry that allows all kinds of games to exist, and succeed as appropriately as they can.

I think we did reach a tipping point when people either became dumber or were conditioned by the publishers to be dumber. There was a time even last generation when San Andreas was one of if not the highest selling game of the generation and that to many people is still the best open world game ever. Games like MGS and Splinter Cell, the best stealth games on consoles at least, were selling millions and millions. Great stuff used to sell quite a bit. Now it's all the dumb stuff that sells.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think people are just waiting for the reviews before getting the game. It's a new IP after all. This thread should speed up drastically after that.

My most anticipated game of the year - will it usurp Dragon's Dogma as my GOTY? Only time will tell.

I've been following this game since it was announced, yet this OT snuck right past me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My store has like 30 reserves of this and only like 3 for XCom. I think the Bethesda name is getting closer to Rockstar territory in terms of it just selling a game by itself. Regardless of how I feel about that, I think the game will do fine. Well, it'll do fine with modest expectations. It'll do fine for a new IP at the end of a console generation, at least.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We do need smarter and more open, emergent games. But the games you mention sell well because they're accessible and easy. This is the way it is and always will be, and is not exclusive to gaming in the realm of entertainment. The mass market/public will not be interested in complex, involved games that have steep learning curves, or require a lot of player investment for the payoff. Even if others, like you and I, appreciate this design, it is not mass market.

The problem isn't so much Skyrim selling 10 million copies sold. Hardcore RPGs are never going to pull those numbers. The problem is the overbearing, shareholder and profit driven industry nullifying the existence of any game that does not fit the "lots of money, fast" archetype. Those wanting to make a fortune have no interesting in nurturing an industry that supports "middle games" because those games don't make them rich.

I'm sure a lot of developers lament the direction the industry has taken, even if they understand their niche, clever titles will not make them world superstars. They, just like us, want an industry that allows all kinds of games to exist, and succeed as appropriately as they can.

Pretty much. One thing I've noticed is that the average human being does not want to do the following when consuming entertainment: learn, work, analyze. (the last one could be considered work to some).

Often times, when a piece of entertainment involves one or more of those three elements, one might consider it the opposite of fun, as their concept of fun is passive and relaxing.

I certainly don't blame people that think that way, as society has conditioned us to restrict learning, working, and analyzing to school and jobs.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm pretty excited for the PC version. It has a PC-centric UI and high res textures out of the box. :O

Sounds like they're putting some actual effort into the PC version.

Necrovex

Gonna wait for the PC version to hit $40, and I'll probably use my Best Buy giftcard to buy it. I would buy it sooner if I actually thought I would have time to play it.

Well said.

Jb

I'm pretty excited for the PC version. It has a PC-centric UI and high res textures out of the box. :O

Sounds like they're putting some actual effort into the PC version.

Arkane is a PC dev, this is their first console title. Besides, I would guess that the main target audience for this kind of game would be the PC, even if they've undoubtebly made adjustements so the console versions don't feel like rushed ports, considering that's probably where they'll move the most units.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Arkane is a PC dev, this is their first console title. Besides, I would guess that the main target audience for this kind of game would be the PC, even if they've undoubtebly made adjustements so the console versions don't feel like rushed ports, considering that's probably where they'll move the most units.

I think they did the port of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to consoles themselves. At least the Wiki seems to indicate that.

Jb

I think they did the port of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic to consoles themselves. At least the Wiki seems to indicate that.

I remember the CEO saying explicitely that it wasn't done in-house at a talk at IGDA. But maybe I misheard it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This and the new XCOM just seem like two games they could easily make a shitty console port of, especially PS3.

When you tell me they're a 'PC developer', I get flashbacks to the 360 versions of Risen, Tropico, Two Worlds, Sacred 2, etc.

Tempted to get PC version, but will have to wait and see how it handles on laptop with ATI 5650 mobile and if bad just get the 360 version.

But I need to make screenshots and vids! Aaaaah!

This and the new XCOM just seem like two games they could easily make a shitty console port of, especially PS3.

When you tell me they're a 'PC developer', I get flashbacks to the 360 versions of Risen, Tropico, Two Worlds, Sacred 2, etc.

This game isn't a port at all 3 different teams worked on each platform.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I've been interested in Dishonored since seeing some preview content for the game on RockPaperShotgun, but haven't been following it too closely... Decided to take a chance and pre-order it (have never played a game from Arkane before) on GMG with that 25% off coupon. Been itching for a single-player experience to dig into lately and this is the type of gameplay I'd love to see more of in the future.

Great OT, Salsa. Looking forward to filling it with some discussion once the game drops. :)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
This is what he said: “I wanted the music to reflect 19th century London combined with modern elements, so I composed a dark ambient score with atonal textures including the Stardivari Hammer violin.”

That sounds sexy as fuck.

I've got my Steam preorder, but it's gonna be frustrating tracking down the preorder DLC. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think we did reach a tipping point when people either became dumber or were conditioned by the publishers to be dumber. There was a time even last generation when San Andreas was one of if not the highest selling game of the generation and that to many people is still the best open world game ever. Games like MGS and Splinter Cell, the best stealth games on consoles at least, were selling millions and millions. Great stuff used to sell quite a bit. Now it's all the dumb stuff that sells.

I disagree, I think it's more the warped proportions of sales and the greed of shareholders and many publishers that makes it seem like these games once upon a time sold so well and now do not. Don't forget that last generation had its own portion of excellent, 'core' titles that bombed.

And even then the dumbing down of big franchises, like the ones you mentioned, doesn't always work. Conviction sold worse than the original Splinter Cell. And in some cases it's not a case of dumbing down, but arguably a case of preference. I think San Andreas is neat, and I loathe GTAIV. Yet the games are hoving around similar sales: 27m and 22m respectively (probably more for the latter as it's been 12 months since the last count). Then there's Red Dead Redemption, that did something like 12m.

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that the market has changed and people are buying different games, but I don't think it's as simple as people buying dumb games. It's not always a case of supply meeting demand, as supply can create demand. A lot of games can thrive in this market, but publishers/shareholders/retailers have to allow it to happen. And sadly they don't seem to want to.

Looking to the past, why would I be satisfied with ~3 million sales for a new, awesome stealth series like Splinter Cell, when I can make something more accessible and simplified and potentially double that? If my interest, as an investor, is only how much money I make, I'm not going to care how ambitious or revolutionary the concept is. I just want my money.

As for Dishonoured, I have a bad feeling it's going to slump out of the gate, but I hold Bethesda responsible for this. Up until recently the marketing campaign behind this game has been a disaster. I had a discussion with Nirolak about it around a month ago, when the question of "What exactly is Dishonoured?" was a legitimate one. Even reading the forums, nobody seemed sure just how stages and level selection was organised, how varied mission choices would be, or the full extent of the player's powers. The marketing has been muddy, and I think one of the biggest flaws early on was not putting emphasis on the PC/Steam market, where the audience for this kind of game sits eager in the millions.

ctrayne

Looking to the past, why would I be satisfied with ~3 million sales for a new, awesome stealth series like Splinter Cell, when I can make something more accessible and simplified and potentially double that? If my interest, as an investor, is only how much money I make, I'm not going to care how ambitious or revolutionary the concept is. I just want my money.

As for Dishonoured, I have a bad feeling it's going to slump out of the gate, but I hold Bethesda responsible for this. Up until recently the marketing campaign behind this game has been a disaster. I had a discussion with Nirolak about it around a month ago, when the question of "What exactly is Dishonoured?" was a legitimate one. Even reading the forums, nobody seemed sure just how stages and level selection was organised, how varied mission choices would be, or the full extent of the player's powers. The marketing has been muddy, and I think one of the biggest flaws early on was not putting emphasis on the PC/Steam market, where the audience for this kind of game sits eager in the millions.

Good points, particularly the bolded. Investors may be a necessary evil, but if a company stays privately held like Valve, you can (potentially) avoid this problem, correct?

And I agree, with all the Thief/Deus Ex overtones, they should have been pushing the PC side of this game really hard.

thefil

I'm torn on this. If I get it now, it will stomp on other games I am playing and want to play. But if I don't get it now, I'll have a bunch of it spoiled by Idle Thumbs, I think.

krishian

I wasn't sure about this for a long time, but finally decided to preorder on GMG today. Really hope this ends up being as great as it looks. :)

Levito

Banned
Was anyone else here at the Dishonored party at PAX?

140160-234539-20120901222722jpg-620x.jpg

It was a great time, can't wait for the game.

AHA-Lambda

Can't wait for this and will be there day one! Also saw a good trade in deal at GAME to get it for a quid, so I definitely can't complain :)

Wish every bit of success to Arkane, I seriously hope this game is a hit.

Hindle

Banned
So how's everyone playing this? I'm going for the ultimate stealth approach, a ghost, like I don't even exist etc.

So how's everyone playing this? I'm going for the ultimate stealth approach, a ghost, like I don't even exist etc.
Stealth all the way. As much as possible that is. I played through DE:HR 100% silent & non lethal on Hard (got those three 100G cheevos in 1 playthrough). Amazing experience. Hope to get a similar thrill with Dishonored.
And luckily I've been pretty much under media embargo regarding Dishonored so other than that E3 playthrough, the initial CG trailer and this OT, that's all I know about the game. Bring on the surprise! \o/

thetrin

Pretty much the way I play Metal Gear: silent but murderous.

I have a bad habit of steathily killing everything in my way.

I am so ridiculously torn between this and XCOM now that I can get both at the same price at GMG. I think I'm leaning back toward Dishonored since it probably won't drop in price on PC much lower than $45 any time soon compared to XCOM.

krishian

First time will probably be a no kill stealth run (have they said anything about this, will it be possible?), followed by a "slightly" more murderous playthrough.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sales prediction?

My guess - 1,5 million WW by the end of the year (probably 2 million shipped) with modest perfomance in US.
1,5? Hmm, that'd be nice for sure, but I dunno, people are real shits when it comes to awesome stuff that should do great :/

Sharing a release date with X-COM doesn't really help PC sales, either...

derFeef

After my no-kill stealth approach in HR I think I will do the best I can to terrorize the people/enemies in this game for once.

S1kkZ

oh boy, that game ran like shit and looked poor on 360. really wan to buy this, but i will wait for console impressions first.

Derrick01

Banned
I disagree, I think it's more the warped proportions of sales and the greed of shareholders and many publishers that makes it seem like these games once upon a time sold so well and now do not. Don't forget that last generation had its own portion of excellent, 'core' titles that bombed.

And even then the dumbing down of big franchises, like the ones you mentioned, doesn't always work. Conviction sold worse than the original Splinter Cell. And in some cases it's not a case of dumbing down, but arguably a case of preference. I think San Andreas is neat, and I loathe GTAIV. Yet the games are hoving around similar sales: 27m and 22m respectively (probably more for the latter as it's been 12 months since the last count). Then there's Red Dead Redemption, that did something like 12m.

I don't necessarily disagree with the notion that the market has changed and people are buying different games, but I don't think it's as simple as people buying dumb games. It's not always a case of supply meeting demand, as supply can create demand. A lot of games can thrive in this market, but publishers/shareholders/retailers have to allow it to happen. And sadly they don't seem to want to.

Oh I don't disagree that shareholders play a huge part as well. EA is pretty much as bad as they are because of their obsession with trying to please their stock holders. I also agree that their marketing has been....off to say the least. It did take them too long to show the PC stuff in the game and they should have had a demo even if it meant giving an entire level of the game away. I personally would have avoided that but many others could have had their questions answered by it. Much like the Human Revolution PC leak did enormous benefit to the game even though that was 10 hours of the game.

After my no-kill stealth approach in HR I think I will do the best I can to terrorize the people/enemies in this game for once.

I just hope it's harder to do than HR. That game was too easy even on deus ex mode because of how unbalanced and overpowered the ability system was.

derFeef

I think it will be since in HR you are encouraged by the skills and environment to go stealth and non-lethal. Dishonored seems more open to experimenting.

Tex117

Banned
Been following this one since its announcement last year.

With that kind of pedigree, artstyle, and concept, Im going to just HOPE it is a "smart" game and doesn't treat the player like a dim-wit.

I like what I see.

FoneBone

It's "Dishonored"... yes, even in PAL regions :p

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
This game is a sure purchase already. Even though I haven't posted in too many Dishonored threads, I've been watching this game like a hawk.

Going to pick up the PC version, I have blind faith the game will be solid on there. Might have to pick it up a couple weeks after launch since I don't have enough time at the moment to give this game my full attention. Still need to clear some backlog too.

Once of the things I liked doing in Deus Ex HR after beating it was using the debug mode to get praxis points to unlock all the abilities. This made it really fun to mess around with the different mechanics in the game. In Dishonored you seem to be able to do that even more so. I know that they made it a real point to have it so you couldn't unlock everything and that to see all the different abilities you would need to do different playthroughs (which is awesome), but when I see there walkthrough videos and they are playing with everything unlocked and totally messing with the AI and environment, I really want to be able to play like that also. So I am hoping that we will get a similar debug mode that someone can unlock on PC.

Top Bottom