• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga |OT| Re-release with new expansion and updates

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
divinityii03.jpg

Developer: Larian Studios
Publisher: Focus Home Interactive
Release Date: Nov 5, 2010

Price: $40

Platforms: Steam, direct2drive, Gamersgate

Steam said:
Live the entire adventures of the Dragon Knight, in a great RPG that includes the complete and re-mastered adventure Ego Draconis, and the brand new adventure Flames of Vengeance!

Explore Rivellon, a fantasy world ravaged by a secular war. As the last heir of the fearsome Dragon Knights, master your new powers to end the threat that lurks in the shadows above the kingdom!

Follow your path through a huge living world; its inhabitants' destiny depends on each one of your choices. Freely create and develop your character, specialize him and learn many powers of destruction to fulfil your destiny!

Key features:
2 complete adventures for over 100 hours of gameplay.
Hundreds of equipment pieces including armour, swords, war hammers, bows, etc.
Fight your enemies on the ground, or crush them from the sky using your Dragon form!

Media:

divinityii02.jpg

divinityii01.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alright question to here:

Is the base game getting patched up with the new stuff or is it stuck as shit forever and ever?

Also kind of ironic that the first screen you have there shows the exact spot where I ran into a scripting bug that prevented me from beating the game. :lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
_tetsuo_ said:
Did you get it, EL?

Not yet, still playing Fallout New Vegas, which I interrupted my playthrough of Eschalon Book 1 for. And of course Eschalon Book 2 was on sale this week so I picked that up...

Interested in hearing impressions for this Divinity 2 "EE" of sorts, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
EviLore said:
Not yet, still playing Fallout New Vegas, which I interrupted my playthrough of Eschalon Book 1 for. And of course Eschalon Book 2 was on sale this week so I picked that up...

Interested in hearing impressions for this Divinity 2 "EE" of sorts, though.

The curse...

I'm about done with Vegas, but I have to finish The Witcher and Call of Pripyat :/

Fredescu

Sinatar said:

Is the base game getting patched up with the new stuff or is it stuck as shit forever and ever?
Someone in the last thread said it was, but I can't find any mention of this on their site.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If EL isn't getting it, we need someone else to get it and give us impressions :lol

edit: be warned guys

Title: Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Genre: Action, RPG
Languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

Sinatar

Well I just loaded up the original and it hasn't been patched up (yet) but I have my doubts that they will since Steam is offering me a discount on the new one since I own the old one.

Anyone care to fill me in on this? I know Ego Draconis came out like less than a year ago; is this a GOTY edition type of thing, or more like a "we fucked up that last release, here's the real game" type of thing?

Fredescu

Blast Processing said:
Anyone care to fill me in on this? I know Ego Draconis came out like less than a year ago; is this a GOTY edition type of thing, or more like a "we fucked up that last release, here's the real game" type of thing?
What do you want to know beyond this: "includes the complete and re-mastered adventure Ego Draconis, and the brand new adventure Flames of Vengeance"?

Blast Processing said:

My understanding is that in addition to including the expansion the Dragon Knight Chronicles includes the original both utilizing a revamped engine. Also to that it sounds as if various balance issues have been addressed in addition to extra content added to the original campaign. Having not played the original version I can't really verify these claims, just what I read in the old thread.

I just picked this up last night myself, and had a quick five minute run. It looks promising, but I'll be holding off until I'm done with New Vegas.

Sinatar

akachan ningen said:
What kind of combat does this have? Is it like demon's souls or something boring like dragon age?

It's basically 3rd person over the shoulder diablo. Clickityclickclickclick.

Xabora

Sinatar said:

Also kind of ironic that the first screen you have there shows the exact spot where I ran into a scripting bug that prevented me from beating the game. :lol
When I picked it up, I got about 50% of the way into it before I hit a game breaking bug.

koji

Cool new thread! I like!

Thx Fredescu for that explanation, just went to check the thread on their boards, nice to know why they are doing it and that they`re trying to fix it.

Anyways; was able to play an hour last night the game runs smooth as long as you don`t move your mouse and run at the same time (so don`t go turning your mouse in all directions when you`re running and you should be fine), then it stutters a bit but besides that it works like a charm. Graphics look bright and crisp, artstyle is interesting, colorful. Nice to play something like this after playing Risen (nothing against Risen but a bit more color on my screen is certainly welcome). The class system looks like great fun as well, basically pick and play the skills you like, remastering possible etc.

koji

lastplayed said:
As for the 30fps thing, it doesn't bother me at all. It's pretty consistent and looks fine to me.

Yeah pretty much that indeed. It really plays very smooth, shame that issue has drawn all the attention while at the same time there`s a really interesting RPG that just released.

lastplayed said:
Flames of Vengeance has some funny moments, like the character introduction. :lol

:lol

They always had great humor in their games.

Dennis

Banned
I got the game directly from Larian Studios as a Digtial Download for 40 Euroes, which is the same price as for GamersGate and Steam.

There seems to be a 3 limit download policy though you can get more by contacting Support.

I should also mention that I had a bug where I couldn't enter the first town right at the beginning of the game. The game just kept on loading when I tried to enter. It was fixed when I quit the game, defragmented the install drive and restarted the game from a save just outside the loading area.

Its not that I have encountered any other bugs so far but lets be honest, saving frequently may be advisble :lol

I was going to crack a joke about the bugginess of Euro-RPGs but then I remembered New Vegas.

Sinatar

Well in the original release like I mentioned above I ran into a bug that stopped me from finishing the game. In that top screenshot, that tree with the hut on it is actually sentient and gives you a quest to kill the goblin that lives on it. I kill the goblin and the tree becomes incorporeal, I can't talk or interact with it in any way and as such can't turn in the quest and get a key item. Reloading any old game didn't matter, that tree always bugged out.

So yea, frequent saving may not even help.

Mihku

Bought the Steam version. 6 hours in, and I like it a lot. Didn't buy the original version at first because of the bugs. Didn't have any problems so far, except for 1 crash on a loading screen. Really like the visuals. Dialogs are great, and mindreading is a clever feature. Gameplay itself takes some getting used to, but it's great fun. Classless system is way better then to be forced into 1 class for the rest of the game, other RPGs should use it more often.

Right now it feels like a polished game, can't wait to play some more :)

Zaptruder

Banned
Jeezus christ. This game is a buggy bastard.

Took 3 tries to get it loading... and it took about 5 minutes to load into the character creation screen.

But once it's loaded, it seemed to operate quite smoothly. Outside of a few alt+tabs after loading to get the mouse cursor to appear.

Looks promising though.

So for those who have played the original and this.

Have many of the issues been dealt with? I saw the giantbomb quicklook, and I was in pain.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Angelus Errare said:
So for those who have played the original and this.

Have many of the issues been dealt with? I saw the giantbomb quicklook, and I was in pain.

I'm in pain any time I watch a Giant Bomb quick look.

BrettWeir

What is the loot like in this game? Random stats etc? Do items vary in graphics or are there only a few skins/models?

I need a new loot whore game!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Bought it on Steam this morning, couldn't pass it up for 33% off due to me having bought Divinity II previously. Too bad I can't play it until tomorrow due to my slow ass Internet.

chris-013

What is the loot like in this game? Random stats etc? Do items vary in graphics or are there only a few skins/models?

I need a new loot whore game!

I'm only at the beginning of the game but I already found the same items with different stats so...

Anyway I totally missed the game when it was released and now I have a blast on the superior version. ^^

Dennis

Banned
I think it is quite a good looking game though I have only just begun.

The characters look decent enough and animation is reasonable (by Euro-RPG standard :lol).

The voice acting seems OK nothing special but not annoying either.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Looks very interesting. Didn't care much for Divinity 2 when it originally came out, didn't even know you could transform into a dragon.

But Dragon Knight Saga has me very interested :D. Will pick up eventually!

Thanks mate! Doesnt really look any better, but oh well. I couldnt even be bothered playing the first one past a couple of hours, but I bought the Steam version of the upgrade, just gotta wait for my shitty ass bandwidth cap to go so i can finish the download.

For someone who is relatively new to Euro RPG, should I pick up Divinity II? I have little knowledge of this game. I have played The Witcher (my only Euro RPG). I bought Risen during the Buy Two Get One Free deal from Amazon, so I plan to play and hopefully enjoy it before I consider picking up Divinity II.

koji

Hmm been having tons of fun there`s just so many stuff hidden, hidden away pretty good if I might add, mindreading is certainly worthwhile as well.

Tip; Find closed trapdoors or chest (that you can`t lockpick) always mindread. :)

Spend the last couple of hours just exploring and treasurehunting. :D
Ran into a couple of funny sidequests/characters/situations.

Brashnir

_tetsuo_ said:
edit: be warned guys

Title: Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Genre: Action, RPG
Languages: English, French, Italian, Spanish
3rd-party DRM: SecuROM™
5 machine activation limit

Thank you for that. Money saved.

bloke

I might get DKS after I'm done with Two Worlds 2 (should be coming this week to Europe no?), I mean D2 was good enough for me to replay it one more time, I don't recall any serious bugs with original game though, nor it was impossibly hard like some are saying.

Ceebs

I bought Divinity II last year and played maybe an hour of it before I quit. I just could not get into it.

Lacking anything else to play I grabbed the upgrade and have put about 6+ hours into it now. It runs fine and feels smooth despite the 30FPS. It looks respectable unless you decide to jump (I think this has one of the worst jumping animations in recent years). No bugs that I have run across yet.

I think what turned me off the first time was that I did not realize it was such an exploration heavy game. Taking my time searching the areas increased my enjoyment quite a bit. Not sure if it's the way I have built my character, but the game is hard as hell so far. I must have died 50 times working my way to the tower in the 2nd big area. Thankfully it quicksaves fast and loads almost as quick.

One thing that has surprised me is the game is actually pretty funny although I am not sure if it is trying to be.

koji

Ceebs said:
Lacking anything else to play I grabbed the upgrade and have put about 6+ hours into it now. It runs fine and feels smooth despite the 30FPS. It looks respectable unless you decide to jump (I think this has one of the worst jumping animations in recent years). No bugs that I have run across yet.

I think what turned me off the first time was that I did not realize it was such an exploration heavy game. Taking my time searching the areas increased my enjoyment quite a bit. Not sure if it's the way I have built my character, but the game is hard as hell so far. I must have died 50 times working my way to the tower in the 2nd big area. Thankfully it quicksaves fast and loads almost as quick.

One thing that has surprised me is the game is actually pretty funny although I am not sure if it is trying to be.

The jumping improved a LOT for me when you get turned into
a dragon knight
and you automatically do those saltos forward and backward when you jump.

Not really had difficulty issues (playing on normal) so far, think I`m about 8 or 10 hours in, closing in on the end of the first zone `I think`. I`m playing an archerbuild and I`m just kiting everything, certainly with that salto jump I received a couple levels back it`s just constantly kiting. Magic is also supposed to be pretty strong, all `uberbuilds` on the official boards are basically battlemage types, nukers in heavy armor.

The game gets really rewarding when you invest time in it, the exploration and puzzle/treasure discovering is just so well done, they really crammed a shitload of content in there. I also really like the dungeon design and the artwork in the dungeons and houses etc, really has the whole Divine Divinity vibe going, there`s just stuff everywhere, piles of bones, flashy mushroom some pots and pans etc etc etc.

Already ran into a couple of brainteasers as well, it`s not an easy game in terms of puzzles or treasures, you really have to look and use your character, jump on crates to reach a chest, mindread to get a codeword. Tons of items as well, but not too many. You always have something in your bag ready to upgrade when you ding that next lvl.

Anyway, I like it a lot :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I played the first release of Divine Divinity II on a friend's PC for like 30 minutes to an hour, and only remember the animation being extremely choppy, and getting completely destroyed to some monsters in a crypt that I was quested to go kill in one of the first areas.

Has the animation improved? Was that crypt encounter something I shouldn't have tackled yet? Does the game feel more polished than it's original release?

On Xbox 360, is this re-lease version differentiated in any way from the original version released back in January?

Both Amazon.com & Gamestop.com searches are only showing the original "Ego Draconis" release.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Reluctant-Hero said:
On Xbox 360, is this re-lease version differentiated in any way from the original version released back in January?

Both Amazon.com & Gamestop.com searches are only showing the original "Ego Draconis" release.

No US 360 release yet.

MattKeil said:
No US 360 release yet.
Thanks. Guess I'll check the sys-reqs and see if my M11x will run it. Has there even been talk about a US 360 release?

Edit: Yup, I'll be able run it just fine, most likely at mid-high settings.

Ceebs

koji said:
The jumping improved a LOT for me when you get turned into
a dragon knight
and you automatically do those saltos forward and backward when you jump.

Not really had difficulty issues (playing on normal) so far, think I`m about 8 or 10 hours in, closing in on the end of the first zone `I think`. I`m playing an archerbuild and I`m just kiting everything, certainly with that salto jump I received a couple levels back it`s just constantly kiting. Magic is also supposed to be pretty strong, all `uberbuilds` on the official boards are basically battlemage types, nukers in heavy armor.

The game gets really rewarding when you invest time in it, the exploration and puzzle/treasure discovering is just so well done, they really crammed a shitload of content in there. I also really like the dungeon design and the artwork in the dungeons and houses etc, really has the whole Divine Divinity vibe going, there`s just stuff everywhere, piles of bones, flashy mushroom some pots and pans etc etc etc.

Already ran into a couple of brainteasers as well, it`s not an easy game in terms of puzzles or treasures, you really have to look and use your character, jump on crates to reach a chest, mindread to get a codeword. Tons of items as well, but not too many. You always have something in your bag ready to upgrade when you ding that next lvl.

Anyway, I like it a lot :D
I think it's a case of me trying to bang my head against areas I should not be fighting through yet.

The way they hide keys in the environment as well as passwords and clues you have to find through quest options or mind reading really makes you search all the environments throughly. Tons of books you can pickup and read as well that also provide hints for quests and locations as well as some backstory on the world.

I do really like the art in the cave sections. It's nice and varied going from candle lit goblin hunts, to glowing plant life, then to castle ruins all in one dungeon.

There are some nice consequences for your choices in how you solve quests as well. Some of them change entire areas as well as open or lock other questlines entirely. On the topic of quests, I love the reward choice system. You get a few options of rewards along with a few static ones that let you pick and choose what you need for completing a questline.

Zefah said:
Was that crypt encounter something I shouldn't have tackled yet?
Yeah, there are an absolute ton of quests in that town you can do to level up prior to fighting that boss. Finishing that quest actually opens up the next area so It's probably supposed to be the last thing you tackle there.

koji

Update on the whole 30fps issue, bottom of page.

Lar_q said:
We obviously underestimated the impact this would have for certain players, so we're working on delivering you hotfix as fast as we can (this week still) which allows you to tweak the settings of the game to your liking. We'll do this by exposing configuration files which allow you to modify certain aspects of the engine such as for instance the lock, but also other things which could be helpful with people who are playing it on very low system specs.

At the same time we're working on a more durable solution which would become part of a patch that doesn't require you to modify a configuration file. That will take some more work however.

This should make a lot of people happy I guess. :) Having the option to run it unlocked even though that might be more unstable is a big difference with being forced to play 30fps

Did some more playing last night, played the entire day basically. This game actually feels like playing a REAL RPG, sure the combat is action clickedieclick but the whole exploring and searching for hidden treasure takes it to a whole new lvl, it's been a while that I've been so immersed in a fictional world. Dragon Age was a great RPG mechanic-wise with all the fancy combat stuff but this has just so much more depth, I can imagine not everyone liking games like this but it really does remember me of Plansescape at times and other oldschool RPGs.

Heck I've been making notes in my notebook, that's always a good sign when I'm writing stuff down while playing RPGs. You can also make notes on the map and that's something you really need to do, just to give you an idea how much stuff there's hidden out there.

Top Bottom