• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

I’ve restarted about 4 times now because I decide what classes I want to stick with

Does in-game respec option include the classes of the characters?

Class have literally no meaning. They simply define your starting weapon. They're preset of skills, but you can pick Rogue as a preset and then just dump all your points in Pyrokinetic and be a mage anyway, the stats are all the same.

The respec allows you to respec all your skills, so it effectively allows you to change classes, although again classes aren't an actual thing in this game.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Can someone explain how respec works in terms of skill books? Like I bought and learned a whole bunch of skills in act 1, do I get the skill books back in act 2 if I respec?

Class have literally no meaning. They simply define your starting weapon. They're preset of skills, but you can pick Rogue as a preset and then just dump all your points in Pyrokinetic and be a mage anyway, the stats are all the same.

The respec allows you to respec all your skills, so it effectively allows you to change classes, although again classes aren't an actual thing in this game.

Thanks for the info. Do the respect include all my party members ?

Thanks for the info. Do the respect include all my party members ?

You can respec all party members, yes.

And like Pyros_Eien said, classes aren't really a thing in this game. You have skill lines which define your character. If you want you can invest in every skill line or specialize in just a few of them.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I see the respecs as mostly a way to re-allocate your points in stuff like the Civil abilities and get back points in attributes you accidentally wasted in the first few levels.

So I can specialize my 4 party members: One for trading to get that $$ bonus, one for loremaster to identify items, one for stealing and opening locks, and one for persuasion.

It means that i end up always trading with one person and always talking with another, but whatever.

sadblob

I see the respecs as mostly a way to re-allocate your points in stuff like the Civil abilities and get back points in attributes you accidentally wasted in the first few levels.

So I can specialize my 4 party members: One for trading to get that $$ bonus, one for loremaster to identify items, one for stealing and opening locks, and one for persuasion.

It means that i end up always trading with one person and always talking with another, but whatever.

I initially did that but lategame where money is not really a problem I took my bartering character and made him persuasive also, that way I had both Str and Int persuading characters. Otherwise you'll find a lot of times persuasion requires the attribute you didn't level up and it can suck.

Note that there are a few persuasion checks which require Finesse, but I've found those never that much worth to win, and you can manage 95% of the checks with Str or Int.

Sentenza

I initially did that but lategame where money is not really a problem I took my bartering character and made him persuasive also, that way I had both Str and Int persuading characters. Otherwise you'll find a lot of times persuasion requires the attribute you didn't level up and it can suck.

Note that there are a few persuasion checks which require Finesse, but I've found those never that much worth to win, and you can manage 95% of the checks with Str or Int.

As already pointed several times in this thread, persuasion checks rely on the Persuasion skill far more than on any stat boost.

To put things in perspective, by the middle of the second act you have more chances to pass a persuasion check with a stat at 10 and 5-6 points on Persuasion than you have to pass one with a stat at 40 and no persuasion points whatsoever.

sadblob

As already pointed several times in this thread, persuasion checks rely on the Persuasion skill far more than on any stat boost.

To put things in perspective, by the middle of the second act you have more chances to pass a persuasion check with a stat at 10 and 5-6 points on Persuasion than you have to pass one with a stat at 40 and no persuasion points whatsoever.

I know, but in lategame you need both the persuasion has high as possible as well as the relevant stat. My Str char with 6 persuasion was always failing Int checks (or any other stat for that matter), so I decided to switch from bartering to persuasion on my Int char.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Act 3:

The key to freedom sidequest:

I found both parts of the Swornbreaker, and to journal says to return but when I return to Almira on the ship she will not even acknowledge that I have the pieces. Am I missing something? Like do I have to craft it first possibly? or is this just another bug that some other people have been running into
EDIT: Never Mind, you had to craft it first.

Xeteh

So not sure if people saw this but you can fix the portrait distortion from respeccing by going in to video options, turning off Light Shadows then using the mirror which will remove it. Then you can go back and turn Light Shadows back on.

Does wielding two wands benefit from the dual wield skill?

I would assume so, pretty sure just one benefits from single handed.

i know it's been already been said thousands of time at this point, but if you have your party full and you can't recruit (for the first time, in Fort Joy) additional companions they go...where?

Moff

i know it's been already been said thousands of time at this point, but if you have your party full and you can't recruit (for the first time, in Fort Joy) additional companions they go...where?

that depends a lot on what point in the game you are

Sotha Sil

well i just arrived in Fort Joy, i've recruited the Red Prince, Fane and Ifan along the road

i have to decide now my future party?

You'll get a chance to change things up down the line (and they'll remain in the Fort Joy general area in Act 1 if you boot them from the party, at least Ifan does).

Is the camera being a stuttering mess (and hardly rotating) when using the middle mouse to rotate a known thing? Using the KB to rotate is smooth.

Pakoe

This release caught my attention. Not having played the first one, I figured I'd give it a try just to play something new (haven't played a lot of RPGs, mostly stick to shooters and racing games).
Holy shit. The last time I played my whole free day away was years ago. I played the 'shareware' release just to see if I'd like it and it made me but the Eternal Edition just to throw extra money at Larian Studios.
Now to enjoy the first one before starting OS2.

Venfayth

Feel like I'm close to the end of Act 2, got some questions for people farther into the game.

So far I have met Mordus and Hannag of the Source Masters. I have turned down both of their offers to teach me Source skills. Mordus wanted me to eat the heart of a void, Hannag wanted us to steal the life of animals, so I said no to both.

Am I fucking up?

Tovarisc

Feel like I'm close to the end of Act 2, got some questions for people farther into the game.

So far I have met Mordus and Hannag of the Source Masters. I have turned down both of their offers to teach me Source skills. Mordus wanted me to eat the heart of a void, Hannag wanted us to steal the life of animals, so I said no to both.

Am I fucking up?

No.

You still have few other options to expand your mastery of Source if you want pursue them. I'm not sure what happens if you turn those also down.

Am I fucking up?

Nope, I said the same things. :) I've encountered (continuing the Act 2 spoilers here)
one benevolent Source Master in Paradise Downs and one friendly Source Master northeast of the Cloisterwood waypoint. Look for a cabin next to a big cage.

I also happily ran into a shitbag Source Master that I was happy to slaughter after he taught me what I wanted. If you would like to know his identity, I've written it below.

The master's name is Ryker, and he will teach you Source mastery after you complete his questline, which will take you to the Blackpits.

Venfayth

No.

You still have few other options to expand your mastery of Source if you want pursue them. I'm not sure what happens if you turn those also down.

Nope, I said the same things. :) I've encountered (continuing the Act 2 spoilers here)
one benevolent Source Master in Paradise Downs and one friendly Source Master northeast of the Cloisterwood waypoint. Look for a cabin next to a big cage.

I also happily ran into a shitbag Source Master that I was happy to slaughter after he taught me what I wanted. If you would like to know his identity, I've written it below.

The master's name is Ryker, and he will teach you Source mastery after you complete his questline, which will take you to the Blackpits.
Thanks guys!

You'll get a chance to change things up down the line (and they'll remain in the Fort Joy general area in Act 1 if you boot them from the party, at least Ifan does).

alright thanks

i was thinking at the same old tavern/homestead where the companions stay when they're not in your party

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
is there a resurrection spell in this game? Kinda tired of stealing/buying these stupidly expensive scrolls

Alric

I'm not at home and I can't verify something but I have a question.

A lot of the Warfare Skills, do they also scale with Int/Fit? I was just wondering if say a Two-handed mostly Int spec'd user would still be viable as some warfare skills might scale with INT.

This release caught my attention. Not having played the first one, I figured I'd give it a try just to play something new (haven't played a lot of RPGs, mostly stick to shooters and racing games).
Holy shit. The last time I played my whole free day away was years ago. I played the 'shareware' release just to see if I'd like it and it made me but the Eternal Edition just to throw extra money at Larian Studios.
Now to enjoy the first one before starting OS2.

It's a magical game. Easily a gem, lightning in a bottle type of game that defines a genre or moment. People will be talking about this game as a classic, and it'll be remembered as one of the greats. It's simply that good.

Is the game dead easy on explorer? Really intrigued by everything I'm reading about Original Sin 2, but I don't know that I have the mental capacity to play a super difficult game at this point.

I have beaten the game on explorer and much of it (into Act 3) on classic in a co-op game. Explorer is somewhat easier and more forgiving of mistakes, but I would have a tough time calling it "easy". I've played plenty of X-Com and Original Sin 1, and while I was never significantly challenged on Explorer(I had maybe 2-3 deaths) I also didn't steamroll every fight. With a decent build in mind, synergy with your party and not just strolling into bad guys you'll be fine.

Taruranto

I got to say, I really like that status effects tell you what spell you need to use to remove them. I spent like 3 minutes trying to figure which spell removed decay before I realized I could just have clicked on the icon, eh.

A lot of the Warfare Skills, do they also scale with Int/Fit? I was just wondering if say a Two-handed mostly Int spec'd user would still be viable as some warfare skills might scale with INT.

Weapon skills scale with whatever the stat for your weapon is, so they scale with int if you use a staff(can't use a wand cause it's not a melee weapon so it won't work with warfare skills). Staves do pretty poor damage however and the armor checks are still done on physical armor, which means most of the secondary effects from warfare skills are unusable unless you have someone else removing phys armor or you use geomancy(reactive armor) or necromancy to remove it.

Generally speaking, since the weapon skills aren't great, I'd recommend just doing either a caster with wand+shield, even if you take melee range stuff and warfare skills like shield throw, deflection, phoenix dive etc, or do a str based warrior with spells for support and utility rather than damage ones. Staff warfare is pretty meh and in pretty much every cases you're going to do more damage casting an actual spell than using a warfare skill to do damage.

ACE 1991

I have beaten the game on explorer and much of it (into Act 3) on classic in a co-op game. Explorer is somewhat easier and more forgiving of mistakes, but I would have a tough time calling it "easy". I've played plenty of X-Com and Original Sin 1, and while I was never significantly challenged on Explorer(I had maybe 2-3 deaths) I also didn't steamroll every fight. With a decent build in mind, synergy with your party and not just strolling into bad guys you'll be fine.

So are you recommending Classic then? Thanks for the info. I'll be starting tonight, so any early game tips are also appreciated :)

Alric

Weapon skills scale with whatever the stat for your weapon is, so they scale with int if you use a staff(can't use a wand cause it's not a melee weapon so it won't work with warfare skills). Staves do pretty poor damage however and the armor checks are still done on physical armor, which means most of the secondary effects from warfare skills are unusable unless you have someone else removing phys armor or you use geomancy(reactive armor) or necromancy to remove it.

Generally speaking, since the weapon skills aren't great, I'd recommend just doing either a caster with wand+shield, even if you take melee range stuff and warfare skills like shield throw, deflection, phoenix dive etc, or do a str based warrior with spells for support and utility rather than damage ones. Staff warfare is pretty meh and in pretty much every cases you're going to do more damage casting an actual spell than using a warfare skill to do damage.

Thanks for the helpful response. I guess doing a two-haded str/int probably isn't the best build then.

Act 2 (Tactician difficulty) Shadow over Driftwood quest...

As a level 11 party, the Mordus fight is literally impossible if he transforms to a Voidwoken, so I had to stunlock Mordus in his Undead form, not allowing him to steal Source from a corpse, until he was dead. Most bosses have Perseverance so this was a pain in the ass.

Journal entry states we defeated him in his Voidwoken form, funnily enough, I don't think Larian accounted for players doing that.

Seriously though, how the hell are players supposed to legitimately deal with a 700 armor/5000 health boss that's immune to almost every status effect, immediately AFTER an already tough battle, with no chance for recovery?

Paches

Act 2 (Tactician difficulty) Shadow over Driftwood quest...

As a level 11 party, the Mordus fight is literally impossible if he transforms to a Voidwoken, so I had to stunlock Mordus in his Undead form, not allowing him to steal Source from a corpse, until he was dead. Most bosses have Perseverance so this was a pain in the ass.

Journal entry states we defeated him in his Voidwoken form, funnily enough, I don't think Larian accounted for players doing that.

Seriously though, how the hell are players supposed to legitimately deal with a 700 armor/5000 health boss that's immune to almost every status effect, immediately AFTER an already tough battle, with no chance for recovery?

That is funny the journal says that, I figured what you did was the intended way? I also just blitzed him down right off the bat to avoid that form. I just assumed if he goes in to that form it is an instant loss and they didn't intend for that to be beaten,
lol.

Lanrutcon

Ok, pack it up. Game is done. I haven't actually finished it or fought the endboss, but honestly those are just formalities at this point. Why, you ask?

3xy5TNd.jpg

Okay I'm at the very last fight of the game, and holy shit is it hard. Major Spoilers Ahoy.

I got to the point where Braccus Rex breaks free but at that point Sebille/my ranger was just recently ressurected. Didn't help as the level change happened the damned Ghest went and KOd her again, thinking I need to take out the Gheist first.

Regardless I did focus Lucian down to unconsciousness and my next target was gonna be Dallis. I suppose it should be Lucian > Ghest > Dallis. Also kind of wish my CDs were reset as I could've really used my Dome of Protection skill to withstand Braccus's Meteor Shower

Overwall though, I'm loving the music and environment in this last area. Oh and Dallis going
wtf Dragon form
was such a mindblower. Did anything hint at that reveal? Hell the
reveal to be an Eternal and Fane's daughter
was also a mindblower, but a fucking
dragon
?!? Kinda glad too as I somehow missed the
dragon fight
in Act 1

Artdayne

They do. That's what I was doing on my current playthrough but one of the issues is scaling up Warfare beyond just what it takes to get the skills is a waste because INT doesn't scale off of it. One major drawback too is that you're more likely to see strong resistances against your weapon with a number of encounters if you're using a staff as opposed to a strength or finesse two hander. I ended up bailing on the staff/warfare build and went a finesse build with spears and hydro spells. Of course the drawback of that is you have to split points between two primary stat attributes.

Yeaaa...

Damage numbers kinda gave it away :b Nothing comes close to that. Maybe Rogue with burst crit chain, but that is just baseline for Ranger....

2h warrior does, at least by act 4. That also includes having about 85% crit with 220% crit damage and I didn't have my runes min maxed much.

Just hit 21. His damage makes my other characters look absolutely useless. With 3 source points, he kills bosses in a single round with damage to spare. Now you're thinking: at 21, I'm sure DW or 2H or a max Pyro can match that.

No, they really can't.

Warrior could come close for sure. Enrage + Onslaught with the stats I just mentioned would come quite close or Overpower + Onslaught.

Whatever you can do with a Warrior, a Ranger can do too, but with a height bonus, and from across the room. Melee never catches up in damage, unless you take height out of the equation.

Oh for sure, Huntsman + the ridiculous range that Rangers have from higher ground is a bit too much to overcome. The nice thing about 2h though is that you can kill while also providing multi target cc. Battering Ram does enough damage late game that it will break through the armor of all but sword and board fighters, maybe 2h fighters too but I'm not positive on that.

Lanrutcon

What level are you?

Just hit 21. His damage makes my other characters look absolutely useless. With 3 source points, he kills bosses in a single round with damage to spare. Now you're thinking: at 21, I'm sure DW or 2H or a max Pyro can match that.

No, they really can't.

2h warrior does, at least by act 4. That also includes having about 85% crit with 220% crit damage and I didn't have my runes min maxed much.

Whatever you can do with a Warrior, a Ranger can do too, but with a height bonus, and from across the room. Melee never catches up in damage, unless you take height out of the equation. You use Enrage? So does he. Still does more damage. You use Onslaught? He uses Arrow Spray like a shotgun. Unless 2h has some kind of mega 3 source point attack that is better than 16 hits at range for full damage to an area, it always lags behind.

Edit: I will totally give you the fact that Warfare has some amazingly handy abilities. I'm just talking straight damage output here. In terms of utility and general use, Warfare works on many levels.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
They are "stupidly expensive" because you aren't meant to be using them constantly.
That said the economy in 2 allows pretty liberal use of res scrolls...

Meh
I don't use them constantly, musta used around 8 in the whole game so far (just beat the Wrecker's Cave, level 11, without dying), just hate the idea of running out of them in the middle of a quest. And yes, they're expensive no matter what

Top Bottom