• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

ValfarHL

So I'm not sure if you just "get" the point from her automatically, but through the various quests with her along the way I ended with her teaching me. I imagine you can screw it up at a few points along the way, but yeah.

She taught me once I returned her to her tribe.

Respoiled, but yeah. Sorry. Edited my post.

Ok, thanks.

AndersK

Wreckers Cave is very impressive. Act 2 spoilers:
I thought i was getting owned and then my guys get kidnapped and burrowed and my leader gangbanged by voidwoken. Really cool way to implement the party getting split up. I murdered the fuck out of Mordus after lying to him for the source point though. What a snarky cowardly mind-raping son of a bitch.

Random Wreckers cove NPC question:
THe Dwarf Sciencetist. What can you do with her? my whole party failed to convice her, so i just killed her because i didn't like her potentially fucking around with the deathfog. I did'nt realise at the time that Lohar wanted to get rid of it.

Wreckers Cave is very impressive. Act 2 spoilers:
I thought i was getting owned and then my guys get kidnapped and burrowed and my leader gangbanged by voidwoken. Really cool way to implement the party getting split up. I murdered the fuck out of Mordus after lying to him for the source point though. What a snarky cowardly mind-raping son of a bitch.

Random Wreckers cove NPC question:
THe Dwarf Sciencetist. What can you do with her? my whole party failed to convice her, so i just killed her because i didn't like her potentially fucking around with the deathfog. I did'nt realise at the time that Lohar wanted to get rid of it.

She is connected to
IIfan's
personal quest.

Speaking of Wrecker's Cave, I don't suppose this is a normal situation in that first battle? Seemed like a bug:

(Wrecker's Cave Act 2 spoilers)
My leader was kidnapped and put in that combat area, on the little hill surrounded by enemies. When I fled combat (as a rogue, I intended to stealth him out of there) he was forcefully, instantly relocated to... I think one of the waypoints, on the surface and a very far way from Wrecker's Cove. It must've been a bug, but boy was it a weird one. Other party members were trapped as expected.

Oh, and now that I think of it, that initial fight never triggered the first time I was in the cave--entered and exited with no problems. It was only the second time I wandered around, when I intended to teleport around that cliff, that "it" happened.

And yeah that's an incredible area, one of my favourite's so far. I've been continually impressed by the encounters and areas in DOS2--they never get repetitive.

Super early in Act 1 and debating my final party. Ifan is my main character and Fane and Lohse are locks. Debating between Red Prince and Sebille for the final spot.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whose personal quest line is more interesting? Trying to run a good party if it makes a difference.

Speaking of Wrecker's Cave, I don't suppose this is a normal situation in that first battle? Seemed like a bug:

(Wrecker's Cave Act 2 spoilers)
My leader was kidnapped and put in that combat area, on the little hill surrounded by enemies. When I fled combat (as a rogue, I intended to stealth him out of there) he was forcefully, instantly relocated to... I think one of the waypoints, on the surface and a very far way from Wrecker's Cove. It must've been a bug, but boy was it a weird one. Other party members were trapped as expected.

Oh, and now that I think of it, that initial fight never triggered the first time I was in the cave--entered and exited with no problems. It was only the second time I wandered around, when I intended to teleport around that cliff, that "it" happened.

And yeah that's an incredible area, one of my favourite's so far. I've been continually impressed by the encounters and areas in DOS2--they never get repetitive.

That's normal
The waypoints and flee mechanics still work as normal in the cave. Kind of defeats the purpose of the forceful party split but I chose to avoid using them and play the level as it seemed intended.

Super early in Act 1 and debating my final party. Ifan is my main character and Fane and Lohse are locks. Debating between Red Prince and Sebille for the final spot.

Anyone have any thoughts as to whose personal quest line is more interesting? Trying to run a good party if it makes a difference.

Sounds like Fane's is the most interesting *and* the most tied into the main plot. That being said I've had Ifan as my main and I love his questline.

Reani

So about that third source point in act 2..

They all came with drawbacks.. I for sure don't want to lose my PetPal ability doing it at Hannagh or something. I for sure don't want to make a deal with the Advocate. I could sacrifice the demons in Jahar's cage, but he gives a pretty cool summoning skill if you already have three poins when completing his quest.

I could maaybe do it at Ryker, and sacrifice a few farmers?

Or is there no way to get the third point without killing "innocents" or losing important abilities? :(
you can get 3rd point from
runaway sourcerer in house at the edge of the map slightly above blackpit gates,
you have to teleport to get to her. she asks you to kill a demon.

Dinjooh

humm, ok thanks. I wont even connect my Xbox One controller then...

I've never tried to play this with m+kb, but I don't feel like I'm severely punished for using a controller so far. If you're ever gonna try with a controller it's probably wisest to start out with it.

Red Prince and Sebille in the same party is fun as their respective goals
conflict directly.

Lister

Banned
I've never tried to play this with m+kb, but I don't feel like I'm severely punished for using a controller so far. If you're ever gonna try with a controller it's probably wisest to start out with it.

Ive taken to using the gamepad when exploring and combat, even though its definitely subpar just cause of comfort, but i am actually willing to close the game and open it again with mouse and keyboard just to deal with the inventory. Its too much of a hassle with a gamepad.

Also, unfortunately the gamepad ui doesn't take advantage of my 21x9 screen the way the mk ui does.

I don't think I "get" this game at all. I'm only at the start of the game after the ship, but I feel totally lost on what to do. I don't even know what my main objective is. I wandered out of town for like 2 seconds and immediately there is an impossible boss who eats people who just murdered me. I just feel overwhelmed. Maybe I'm the "casual" this game isn't for but I played about a dozen hours of the first game and felt like I had a much better handle on things. I'm just kind of venting but I feel like this game drops you in the deep end with no life vest at all. Is there any kind of like starting guide/helpful tips for idiots like me? I want to like this, I like the combat, but I'm having a hell of a hard time getting into it.

Jisgsaw

There is shit ton of dialogue that isn't voiced, even by narrator.

Either that or devs forgot to put in a lot VO files.

I think there's a pretty big bug where the voiced dialogue is (often) not started when it should. I'm pretty sure every line is voiced, you just often don't hear it because of the bug.
If you wait a bit before continuing a not voiced dialogue, you should hear it all when you continue the dialogue with a pause.

Lucifon

I don't think I "get" this game at all. I'm only at the start of the game after the ship, but I feel totally lost on what to do. I don't even know what my main objective is. I wandered out of town for like 2 seconds and immediately there is an impossible boss who eats people who just murdered me. I just feel overwhelmed. Maybe I'm the "casual" this game isn't for but I played about a dozen hours of the first game and felt like I had a much better handle on things. I'm just kind of venting but I feel like this game drops you in the deep end with no life vest at all. Is there any kind of like starting guide/helpful tips for idiots like me? I want to like this, I like the combat, but I'm having a hell of a hard time getting into it.

Your quest log gives you a general direction of what's going on. Head into Fort Joy and start talking to people. Listen to their stories and quests / objectives which come with that.

Basically you're "stuck" in Fort Joy and are trying to get out. There's a huge range of ways to do it though, so talk to everyone and everything and just explore! The story will open up quite a bit from there, but the individual quest lines and stories are fantastic.

You'll start to get your bearings fairly quick but the game can be pretty punishing at first when you have no equipment.

Mivey

humm, ok thanks. I wont even connect my Xbox One controller then...
I like the KB&M for this game better, mostly for the cleaner looking Journal, but I don't feel the inventory management is any big issue so far in the controller interface. Mostly because you can just simply sort stuff for whatever you need. Near the weight limit? Sort them for weight and sell, drop or give the heaviest item to someone else. Need to make back some coin? Sort them for value, and sell the most valuable ones. Need to find something you just picked up? Sort them for recently picked up.
I mean, that's what I end up doing with KB&M too, and that's not much slower with a controller. You don't need to sort through the whole thing yourself. That's just insane.

elyetis

Talk to everyone, is pretty much the best advise one could give you.

By doing that you will find out about other people who want to flee the place and will help you if you help them. You might find out that maybe someone is looking for that impossible boss who eats people. Etc..

Tovarisc

How far can you take builds in this game? Can you do crazy cool unique builds?

There is a lot skill synergies that you can experiment with and can give great results. Game rewards experimenting if that is your things.

Character to character basis you should choose 2-3 branches to focus on so they don't get too spread thin and are efficient with skills. For e.g. I have Fighter with Warfare, Polymancy and Geomancy. These 3 branches gives him good damage output and self-sustain. Considering swapping Geo for Necro to give some bonkers self healing and more synergy with other party members.

Eyeh4wk

Wow (Act 1 quest spoiler)
Burning Pigs is tricky to finish but such a conclusion!

At first, I thought the quest not been marked complete on the log was a bug, lol

I like the KB&M for this game better, mostly for the cleaner looking Journal, but I don't feel the inventory management is any big issue so far in the controller interface. Mostly because you can just simply sort stuff for whatever you need. Near the weight limit? Sort them for weight and sell, drop or give the heaviest item to someone else. Need to make back some coin? Sort them for value, and sell the most valuable ones. Need to find something you just picked up? Sort them for recently picked up.
I mean, that's what I end up doing with KB&M too, and that's not much slower with a controller. You don't need to sort through the whole thing yourself. That's just insane.

I do understand why people favor m+kb over controller though, since there are a couple options missing from the controller UI that should be there (I can't think of them off the top of my head). Aside from that, yea I agree that they handled inventory management with a controller really well. I prefer dragging and dropping but when I don't feel like sitting at my desk, the controller layout is really legit.

A new hotfix came out today. It looks like Lucky Charm has been nerfed.

Hello everyone!

We issued a hotfix today, containing the following changes:

Cases that could cause the ”Device lost" crash, are now better handled.
Fixed an eternal damage loop situation in combat.
Lucky Charm has been re-balanced: it now grows in power at a slower rate.
Tweaked Journal XP.
Several fixes and improvements for German, French and Russian languages.

Also, a big patch is on the horizon, and we are aiming to release it next week. The focus will be fixing the remaining issues we've seen pop up since release.

Thank you for unending support and as always, keep on sending us your amazing feedback!

The Larian Team

Kard8p3

So about that third source point in act 2..

They all came with drawbacks.. I for sure don't want to lose my PetPal ability doing it at Hannagh or something. I for sure don't want to make a deal with the Advocate. I could sacrifice the demons in Jahar's cage, but he gives a pretty cool summoning skill if you already have three poins when completing his quest.

I could maaybe do it at Ryker, and sacrifice a few farmers?

Or is there no way to get the third point without killing "innocents" or losing important abilities? :(

??

What happens if you make a deal with the Advocate? I did and I didn't notice anything.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
TBH I feel like my character with lucky charm has found pretty much nothing ( level 3 pretty early on, and only procc'd like 2-3x, now in the middle of act 2), so unless it's specifically related to 'who' opens the chest/barrel/vase (which is pretty dumb, but I suppose consistent with other skills like pet pal), I've not seen too much come from it.

Hmm, kind of thinking I should put the brakes on a bit. From what people have said Act 4 can be kind of buggy and it may be better to wait for the big patch next week before getting there.

TBH I feel like my character with lucky charm has found pretty much nothing (procc'd like 2-3x, now in the middle of act 2), so unless it's specifically related to 'who' opens the chest/barrel/vase (which is pretty dumb, but I suppose consistent with other skills like pet pal), I've not seen too much come from it.

Unfortunately it is. They should have made it an aura.

Arcteryx

TBH I feel like my character with lucky charm has found pretty much nothing ( level 3 pretty early on, and only procc'd like 2-3x, now in the middle of act 2), so unless it's specifically related to 'who' opens the chest/barrel/vase (which is pretty dumb, but I suppose consistent with other skills like pet pal), I've not seen too much come from it.

It is based off of who opens. Also they just had a small hotfix today to increase the scaling of the skill.

That being said: I've had nothing but GREAT drops from it. Like 25% of lootable things give me an epic.

Eyeh4wk

TBH I feel like my character with lucky charm has found pretty much nothing (procc'd like 2-3x, now in the middle of act 2), so unless it's specifically related to 'who' opens the chest/barrel/vase (which is pretty dumb, but I suppose consistent with other skills like pet pal), I've not seen too much come from it.

I'm finishing Act 1 and with 6 lucky charm (1 from gear and 2 from booze) on every treasure room I can get at least 1 epic gear, so nothing to crazy so far. Also is there a cap for it?

Thievery should get nerfed IMO, or at least Larian should remove thievery gear.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Someone needs to teach me how to be a good thief/pickpocket because damn it's been paying no dividends for me.
I had the entire town of driftwood on my ass at one point trying to snatch a few purses. How do you guys do it?

It is based off of who opens. Also they just had a small hotfix today to increase the scaling of the skill.

That being said: I've had nothing but GREAT drops from it. Like 25% of lootable things give me an epic.

tumblr_lesuj78svo1qbqukkvo.gif

That sounds like bullshit. It would break the game.

That's normal
The waypoints and flee mechanics still work as normal in the cave. Kind of defeats the purpose of the forceful party split but I chose to avoid using them and play the level as it seemed intended.

Oh... I didn't realise that was how it worked.
I thought it'd just disengage combat, not teleport me.

Next run will be pure!

Thanks for the info!

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, the Dessiccated Undead under
Mordus' cove
is really helpful against those five enemies. Staff of Magus, Staff of Magus, end turn

Thanks sunshine, we'll take it from here

Arcteryx

Someone needs to teach me how to be a good thief/pickpocket because damn it's been paying no dividends for me.
I had the entire town of driftwood on my ass at one point trying to snatch a few purses. How do you guys do it?

tumblr_lesuj78svo1qbqukkvo.gif

That sounds like bullshit. It would break the game.

I don't know about break the game, but yea, I'm swimming in money for sure.

Jisgsaw

A new hotfix came out today. It looks like Lucky Charm has been nerfed.

And meanwhile, Rangers are still OP.
Did they just change the level of gear found? Because Lucky charm just gave me 5 legendary and one divine loot in ~30 boxes right now (in chap 4), but they were three level under me...

Speaking of chapter 4, The Last Stand of the Magisters wuest question:
So, I opened the first hatch, and used the four switches in the correct order. now in this new room, there is a new switch "Death". Anyone nows if it triggers anything (outside of the fireball of the trap underneath)?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

Same here, I have 5 Thievery and 4 Sneaking and these bastards in Driftwood Square keep nabbing me. One day..

Burt

Lucky Charm only procs if the person with the skill opens the container, and yeah, at 5+, it's hard to go through a room without a purple/pink/yellow drop.

Eyeh4wk

What I do is trade I all their junk for gold, then I steal the gold since is much faster and doesn't get marked as stolen.

Venfayth

Not sure how much the hotfix changed it, but here's the receipts:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CredulousKawaiiDumplingsCoolStoryBob

2/8 vases had drops. It's like that consistently.

Twitch is blocked here, what level of Lucky Charm do you have and what rarity items did you find?

I'd honestly be pretty bummed if my 9 Lucky Charm guy wasn't still finding crazy loot all the time. I get such a rush when I find them and identify them, haha.

Top Bottom