• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

So are you recommending Classic then? Thanks for the info. I'll be starting tonight, so any early game tips are also appreciated :)

Generally I'd say this: If you played a good amount of Original Sin 1, start on Classic with 2 and see how you do. If you didn't play Original Sin 1, or aren't terribly experienced with tactical turn based strategy, start on Explorer. You can freely switch between the difficulties as needed once you get a hang on things.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
Meh
I don't use them constantly, musta used around 8 in the whole game so far (just beat the Wrecker's Cave, level 11, without dying), just hate the idea of running out of them in the middle of a quest. And yes, they're expensive no matter what

You can also craft them, I think the recipe is
sheet of paper+water essence+life essence

Geesh been 3 hours doing this final boss fight at the end of the game and still trying to figure out how to beat it.

The farthest I've gotten was just my necro/summon and ranger alive underneath a dome of protection. Seeing how important that is for me I'm wondering if I should reset the entire fight and try and save that spell for phase 2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Geesh been 3 hours doing this final boss fight at the end of the game and still trying to figure out how to beat it.

The farthest I've gotten was just my necro/summon and ranger alive underneath a dome of protection. Seeing how important that is for me I'm wondering if I should reset the entire fight and try and save that spell for phase 2.

2 hints that should help.

1. The Kraken's AOE stuff can't reach the middle where the big throne/pedastal is, move your party there ASAP.
2. As soon as Braccus Rex dies the fight ends, you can ignore everyone else.

2 hints that should help.

1. The Kraken's AOE stuff can't reach the middle where the big throne/pedastal is, move your party there ASAP.
2. As soon as Braccus Rex dies the fight ends, you can ignore everyone else.

I'm on Classic difficulty, not sure if you just got lucky but the thing can hit the middle platform near the throne.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm on Classic difficulty, not sure if you just got lucky but the thing can hit the middle platform near the throne.

I was on classic. Guess we got lucky, but when we were there it just moved around the map randomly spitting out new guys.

Where is Gareth supposed to be?

Act 2 spoilers
I did his quest including showing him Jonathan's ring. He indicated that he would be back on the ship. But I don't see him on the ship. When I talk to Malady she says that we really shouldn't proceed without him.

Help!

Terrorblot

Just got to
Driftwood
in Act 2. I'm overflowing with gold at this point and it's becoming a lot easier to advance now that I don't have to worry so much about using resurrection scrolls!

sadblob

How do you deal with the
burning pigs
in Act 1 (after fort)?
Bless
? I have no such thing =(

Yes, continue a little with the story and you'll get it. I recommend you to do the same in Act 2, advance a bit the story before going sidequesting so you can unlock your source powers.

Where is Gareth supposed to be?

Act 2 spoilers
I did his quest including showing him Jonathan's ring. He indicated that he would be back on the ship. But I don't see him on the ship. When I talk to Malady she says that we really shouldn't proceed without him.

Help!

I met him in some hut with Jonathan lying on the ground. I persuaded Gareth to kill Jonathan (well, it was actually me who kill him) and after that, he's back on the ship. I think my Gareth quest stopped at that point as I couldn't solve his problem with the parents.

Just got to
Driftwood
in Act 2. I'm overflowing with gold at this point and it's becoming a lot easier to advance now that I don't have to worry so much about using resurrection scrolls!

Yeah, Act 2 is the time when you're starting to get a grip on the game. You have plenty of gold and vendors with good item to buy/steal.

I met him in some hut with Jonathan lying on the ground. I persuaded Gareth to kill Jonathan (well, it was actually me who kill him) and after that, he's back on the ship. I think my Gareth quest stopped at that point as I couldn't solve his problem with the parents.

Hmm, already did all of that.

Haha I beat the game, fuck that fight was hard. Actually I beat the end fight twice but my main character died and I got a game over scene when all was set and done, thanks Larian. Regardless I'm glad I had my custom character and Sebille make it through to share some lines of dialogue, shame about the rest of party being dead. Hopefully next playthrough I'll manage all my party members alive. Anywho, time to wrap up this post-game scene.

So finally started and decided on my party:

Ifan (MC) pyro / geo
Lohse Aero / Hydro
Sebille (bows) Hunstman / Scoundrel
Fane (2h) warfare / necro

Any recommendations? Would like to use all skills so wouldn't mind giving someone points into polymorph or summoning.

Thoughts?

Okay that's it, finished the game completely. A total playthrough lasting 133 hours according to Steam (this is including 3 restarts at the beginning to create a decent party, still wasn't perfect but that's what future playthroughs are for).

It's nice and kind of sad that you have to have your party members live through the fight to have an epilogue scene; Fane and Red Prince didn't make it with me. Adds a bittersweet permeance to it.

Ultimately this game is incredible, loved every moment of it and definitely going to give another playthrough with the other half of the cast soon (might take a break after playing so long). Played it on Classic difficulty and the hardest fights I had was Act 2 during the Blackpits against
Aetera
and the final boss fight in Act 4. As for my choice at the end of the game I decided
to make everyone a Sourcerer
which is odd as I originally intended to set off to
claim Divinity for my own
, roleplay-wise Sebille and the great narration influenced my change of decision and I love when games manage that.

Again, this game is great and everyone should play it. It doesn't hold your hand but the tradeoff is a great immersive roleplay experience that is unfortunately rare to come by in today's RPG landscape. Combined with excellent tactical gameplay, Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a modern classic and I'll be damned to not see it as GOTY 2017.

Any recommendations? Would like to use all skills so wouldn't mind giving someone points into polymorph or summoning.

I'd definitely put at least a point into Polymorph for Fane so you can get Chicken Claw and Tentacle Lash. They're two of the best skills in the game.

I still can't believe every line in this game is voiced.

Not only that, but the quality of it all is so consistently good. I wasn't sure what to expect (I never played the enhanced edition), but I'm very impressed.

Just had one of my best fights in the entire game go horribly south once the actual fighting finished.
Bumbled my way into the Blackpits fight where you rescue Gwydian from Jonathan without the slightest idea of what to expect. Inadvertently set the entire area on fire thanks to the Incarnate i had out. Made it through the fight without losing anyone losing more than half their hp... And then once the battle ended Gwydian comes over and starts talking to me and locks me into dialogue while my entire party slowly burns to death in the background... It was kind of great...
I love this game so much...

Fucking seriously AND not one voice I found was ever *bad* even if it was goofy sounding it fit the world so well.

Agreed, the only issues with voices is sometimes they didn't play for me (also had this one issue where a female character had a man's voice). But overall its amazing how they managed to have everyone voiced and there were no duplicate voices I could tell apart from each other (I'm looking at you Bethesda).

Fuck, now that I'm done with the game I'm so invested into the lore but there's barely any of it online to look up ><

Yeah, but can I silent that "Hear ye! Hear ye!" NPC without aggroing the entire town?

I don't want to hear anything from him again on my 2nd playthrough later.

I'm generally not a fan of fully voiced CRPGs but I enjoyed it in this game. Maybe it's because the dialogue is actually written like dialogue, a rare thing for CRPGs.

Sarcasm

Yes, continue a little with the story and you'll get it. I recommend you to do the same in Act 2, advance a bit the story before going sidequesting so you can unlock your source powers.

I found the
shrine

Do I have to bless all of them?

Sou Da

How did people cut down
The Meistr?
Did you do the whole fight with the executioner or what?

Personally I just teleported the executioner away and cut her down.

Can't get past
rex barrier
yet =(

Oh yeah there's also a resuable/infinite Source fountain nearby where you first encounter Gareth, the dungeon underneath.

How did people cut down
The Meistr?
Did you do the whole fight with the executioner or what?

Personally I just teleported the executioner away and cut her down.

Act 2 stuff.
I did all of Driftwood first (or most of it anyway) before handling the Meistr. If you persuade Reimond he'll give you a writ/document to show to the Magisters to do what you want without punishment, including freeing the Meistr

Mothman91

Act 3 end(?) spoilers:

Used the key of the one(?), killed the eternal protector.
Is there a secret here that I need to figure out because of the eternal reflectors / phase conductor??

Act 3 end(?) spoilers:

Used the key of the one(?), killed the eternal protector.
Is there a secret here that I need to figure out because of the eternal reflectors / phase conductor??

I think that's to make the fight easier.
Realign the crystals so the light hits the big guy perhaps?
Dunno, I didn't have to do it either. Otherwise you just kill it and get loot.

Rhoc

Man I'm 40 hours in and still in act 1 I just can't let any stone unturned. I love the interaction between Sebille and Ifan they fit really good together.

I was so angry I turned the water to blood infront of the shrine in the sanctuary because I saw it fitting for my main Sebille to give that particular answer. But later when I finished that pig quest Feder wanted to become human again but because I turned the water to blood he just died. First I was angry but I didn't want to replay a lot of hours so I just accepted my decision. I like it that every little decision can influence the story in a major way. I love this game.

Terrorblot

Hahaha, so I just had an interesting encounter in Act 2's tavern:

I was robbed by a prostitute. I immediately opted to enter combat, but found that the door was locked and enchanted so my party couldn't get in. Luckily I realized you can grab the Suite Key from the burgled backpack and w/ Magic Pockets was able to unlock the door from the other side, made those guys regret trying to fool me ;) I wanted to interegate some info out of the prostitute after combat, but he ended up aggro'd from some fire the necromancer cast, so I guess we'll see if I run into a resolution to this one or if this quest is gone with the wind now. Either way, a fun little scene and I was tickled with being able to Magic Pocket my way through the door :p

ValfarHL

So about that third source point in act 2..

They all came with drawbacks.. I for sure don't want to lose my PetPal ability doing it at Hannagh or something. I for sure don't want to make a deal with the Advocate. I could sacrifice the demons in Jahar's cage, but he gives a pretty cool summoning skill if you already have three poins when completing his quest.

I could maaybe do it at Ryker, and sacrifice a few farmers?

Or is there no way to get the third point without killing "innocents" or losing important abilities? :(

Lanrutcon

So about that third source point in act 2..

They all came with drawbacks.. I for sure don't want to lose my PetPal ability doing it at Hannagh or something. I for sure don't want to make a deal with the Advocate. I could sacrifice the demons in Jahar's cage, but he gives a pretty cool summoning skill if you already have three poins when completing his quest.

I could maaybe do it at Ryker, and sacrifice a few farmers?

Or is there no way to get the third point without killing "innocents" or losing important abilities? :(

What summoning spell? I went with J and the Blind Elf. 2 source points, no drawbacks.

R is a douche. Plus, if you do what he teaches you, you earn the "Villain" tag eventually.

Lanrutcon

http://divinityoriginalsin2.wiki.fextralife.com/Summon+Inner+Demon

The blind elf as in the one that
who's captured in the sawmill? She gives you a source point after killing her captor?

So I'm not sure if you just "get" the point from her automatically, but through the various quests with her along the way I ended with her teaching me. I imagine you can screw it up at a few points along the way, but yeah.

She taught me once I returned her to her tribe.

Did you just spoil that a certain character from the first game is in this? Dammit man.

Respoiled, but yeah. Sorry. Edited my post.

Top Bottom