• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

31k players on Steam at the moment, that's already 10k more than its predecessor at release.

That's a good sign. Really hope this isn't another sequel that's way down from its predecessor.

I do think its a shame they couldn't release in the summer again. I think a big reason that the original stood out was that it came out during the summer drought which let up build up a lot of strong word of mouth.

bati

Whelp, I was really hoping the tone of the game would be different compared to D:OS (1). I really want to like both of these games, they're so well made, turn based rpgs are my favorite genre but every time I boot it up it feels like I'm watching a saturday morning children's cartoon and it completely kills the game for me.

Anyone else experienced the same and if so, how did you get over it?

Sou Da

Whelp, I was really hoping the tone of the game would be different compared to D:OS (1). I really want to like both of these games, they're so well made, turn based rpgs are my favorite genre but every time I boot it up it feels like I'm watching a saturday morning children's cartoon and it completely kills the game for me.

It's fun and honestly too many of the new crpgs are feel dark out of necessity for old fuck's tastes.

valouris

I am really conflicted on my starting character. I want to experience the stories, but I can't fathom choosing a pre-made character. How much stuff do you miss on a playthrough if you make a character of your own and just get the rest as companions? (I think I've read you can do that)

JMY86

A very satisfying bit of detective work on my part in acquiring a murder suspect by consuming the victims leg. This game is great...

Are you talking strictly about the art design or the story? It sounds like the story is a bit more serious this time around but the art design has always looked very similar to the first game (which is quite attractive IMO).

AJLma

The scenario's and writing are plenty dark in this game when they need to be.. do you dislike the colorful art style? Or the fact that the characters all have a sense of humor despite the evil things going on around them?

I mean it's not Planescape: Torment.. but the game is dark enough for me.

bati

Are you talking strictly about the art design or the story? It sounds like the story is a bit more serious this time around but the art design has always looked very similar to the first game (which is quite attractive IMO).

Art style is fine (I mean it would be with different expressions/poses), the animations, how the characters carry themselves and the voice overs I find extremely offputting though.

Stiler

Hmm, anyone help me with my character build?

Playing as Fane since that origin is the most intereisting to me.

I'd like to do a battlemagic (basically a melee fighter who uses some magic).

However also when it comes to rpgs like this I like having as much of the dialogue as open as possible (persuasion, etc).

What is a good build? Is there a pet talk ability like in the first one?

ObsidianG

Hmm, anyone help me with my character build?

Playing as Fane since that origin is the most intereisting to me.

I'd like to do a battlemagic (basically a melee fighter who uses some magic).

However also when it comes to rpgs like this I like having as much of the dialogue as open as possible (persuasion, etc).

What is a good build? Is there a pet talk ability like in the first one?

A post earlier in the thread mentioned that the two human companions have the pet pal ability, so if you plan on recruiting either of them you could just save yourself a skill point.

Based on my experience with D:OS EE, a character focusing on warfare with a point in aerothurge / hydrosophist or pyrokinetic / geomancer could be handy for taking advantage of elemental combos, while primarily being a warrior. For example, aerothurge gives you access to teleport (one point wonder skill, imo), and hydrosophist give you access to freezing / cc enemies, which was really useful in proccing bully (if it is still a skill in DOS: 2).

Lone wolf means maximum of one companion but a couple of buffs instead, not ironman.

Oops. thought that was what they were calling the ironman difficulty mode.

Speaking of companions- can you swap them in and out throughout the game or do you have to stick with who you recruit early on?

Type2

Hey, I'm starting a co op run with some friends when I get home. Is there any talents you only need one person in the party to have? Like pet pal for instance.
Also is there dynamic level scaling if we are different levels?

For my last question will I need a different character for a solo game if I want another file?

Speaking of companions- can you swap them in and out throughout the game or do you have to stick with who you recruit early on?

I saw a tweet that if you don't finish Act 1 with them, they'll show up later in Act 2 and can recruit them there.

edit:
Also is there dynamic level scaling if we are different levels?

Can't help with the talents question, but there is no scaling. Also you can't be different levels from your partner as your characters are made at the same time and all share xp I believe.

...For my last question will I need a desperate character for a solo game if I want another file?

Desperate? I'll assume this means "different" character, and yes you will. Characters only exist in the host's save file, you can't continue with your character in another game. (You can however ask for you buddies save file)

Type2

I saw a tweet that if you don't finish Act 1 with them, they'll show up later in Act 2 and can recruit them there.

edit:

Can't help with the talents question, but there is no scaling. Also you can't be different levels from your partner as your characters are made at the same time and all share xp I believe.

Desperate? I'll assume this means "different" character, and yes you will. Characters only exist in the host's save file, you can't continue with your character in another game. (You can however ask for you buddies save file)
So the host owns whatever characters everyone makes for the playthrough in co-op? Like we all have to load up with the same person hosting to get those characters together again?

Also as someone who f5s all the time how does co op handle reloading?

So the host owns whatever characters everyone makes for the playthrough in co-op? Like we all have to load up with the same person hosting to get those characters together again?

Also as someone who f5s all the time how does co op handle reloading?

Yep. The host holds all the files, you guys are along for the ride (though if you're joining during character creation, you get to make your own characters and get to follow your own story path as you please)

Reloading resets the world for everyone, wherever they were at the time of the save.

Stupid Display Option keeps warning me when changing resolution! I have to keep pressing A (on controller) every time I change res. It started ludicrously low and it's taking forever to get to 4K. Pain in the ass.

Mivey

Just entered Fort Joy. Great start so far.
Must say the third-person dialogue options are growing on me. It's weird at first, but they are using it well, at times even including actions like shaking hands or stuff.

Also, maybe I'm confused, but this is no longer a prequel at all, right? Seems like this even plays after Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, since this Aleksandar seems entirely new.

Jag

Ifan as ranger with Huntsman and Poly started. Let's see how this goes.

Same thing here.

Some hints and tips I found. Slightly spoilerish for 1 or 2 things, so tossing a tag on it.

Tips, Tricks and Features Edit
Lizard characters can dig up mounds without a shovel, however it needs to already be revealed for them to dig. You can also use a shovel to dig for mounds if you know it is there, even without a Wits character.
Acquire a Bedroll as soon as possible and keep it on you always, using it restores the whole party to maximum Constitution and gives a stat buff for three turns. You can drag the bedroll into a characters hotbar for quicker use. Easy bedroll location here. (wip)
Using a Hammer + Nails will give you Lockpicks, which can be used to open certain locked doors and chests if you have a character with high enough Thieving skill.
If you don't have a character with a Thieving skill you can also destroy the chests/doors to open them. Common chests and doors have around 200 hitpoints while stronger ones have over 5000. Using a mage's spells can easily break these without spending equipment durability.
While you might be tempted to steal everything you can it is not possible like it was in DoS1, you will most likely be found out very quickly after the crime and be punished harshly. You may try to talk your way out of it using certain attributes or another way is to hide a character farther away and transfer the item immediately from the thief to that character and allow the thief to get their bag checked. If you are stealing skill books, use them immediately or use the previous method to avoid detection.
After acquiring the Gloves of Teleporation you can use Teleport to get a party member to a ladder behind Mona's hut and into the castle from that door, if you have the Magister's Key it'll unlock that door, if not bust it down or lockpick it. Inside the castle you can find multiple paintings worth about 89g without any Bartering points. (Persuasion points + Bartering also lowers/raises prices at merchants)
When you're picking up stuff, you know how it seems to take a little too long before you can take another action? Well, if you right-click (doesn't matter what you right-click on, just hit that right mouse button) it cancels the animation. The thing you were picking up is still picked up, you just don't have to wait for the animation to complete before you do something else. This makes picking up a bunch of stuff off the ground much faster. This also works for some other stuff, like casting spells out-of-combat.
When clicking on item models (the graphics, not the tooltips for them) to pick them up, if you double-click to pick it up, it skips most of the pickup animation. This lets you pick up things faster. If you're using the tooltips to pick stuff up, though, you still need to use the right-click trick.
Right-click on containers (crates and such) or candles in order to pick them up without having to drag them into your bag (it gives you a menu with the Pick Up option). You can sell those things for 1 gold each. Keep in mind that some containers (chests) are very heavy.
If you hold down the button for Show Sneak Cones while not sneaking, you can still see NPC visibility areas. This can help you avoid conflict sometimes. Do note, though, that both friendly and enemy vision fields show up and look exactly the same.
Elves can eat body parts you pick up to gain new abilities and they also heal for a decent amount when consumed. (Click here for a list of consumable, ability granting, body parts) (Wip)
You can right-click on equipment directly to repair it without having to take it off first.
Vendors change their inventories after you level up and hourly also. Be sure to check them often for new equipment.
Right-click on objects and enemies and hit Examine to find more information on them, if you have points in Loremaster you can get more information.
Hold right shift when issuing movement commands to set multiple waypoints. (Essentially draw your path.) [noted by NinjaSteave]
Hold Ctrl to make your left click into an attack, no matter what you're targeting. You can even attack the ground. When attacking the ground with a ranged attack, the first enemy in the path will get hit even if you can't target them directly due to smoke. You can also use this to break open some doors and chests. [noted by error3]
he items an NPC initially has for trade are not lootable from them when they die, however any items you trade to them will be lootable upon their death. [noted by error3]
Activating the spell Teleportation (without choosing a target) highlights all interactable corpseswithin sight, even those you didn't cause. After you've seen the corpses, you can just right-click to cancel the spell.

B00TE

Voice acting really adds a lot, more than I'd thought.

Is being Undead mostly comedic? I was kind of hoping for more of a serious tone, being Undead and all. Maybe I'll just do human,

As serious as you make it, my brother and I are playing it for laughs (Mr Bones wild ride, etc etc). You get dark and/or broody options for dialogue if you want them.

Phionoxx

Thought I left my laptop on last night to preload the game but just got back to start it up and Steam says it is "updating" the game by what seems to be redownloading all of it again.

Guess some of it must have been corrupted, or perhaps the laptop shut off due to a Windows update during the preload process. I'll read through impressions in the meantime!

Sygma

is the writting as cheesy as the first one or did it get moar sirius ?

I reached the bit after the witch's cabin in the first game (the whole part in the snow) and honestly i had to stop because the pacing ... god that pacing. Everything was so slooooooooooooow, it killed every desire I had to go further, even tho I love the combat and the general lack of hand holding

Ryzaki009

Thought I left my laptop on last night to preload the game but just got back to start it up and Steam says it is "updating" the game by what seems to be redownloading all of it again.

Guess some of it must have been corrupted, or perhaps the laptop shut off due to a Windows update during the preload process. I'll read through impressions in the meantime!

There was no preload. It probably downloaded the early access game and is now downloading the rest of it.

Phionoxx

There was no preload. It probably downloaded the early access game and is now downloading the rest of it.

Oh okay that makes sense. File size for the download last night seemed awfully similar to what is installing now. Assumed it was grabbing the same files again.

Dommel

Loved the first one although I never finished it, liking what I'm seeing so far.

Although I do think it's weird that potential party members ask you what role they should serve. Feels like you're able to cherry pick the best possible party instead of rolling with what they give you?

Although I do think it's weird that potential party members ask you what role they should serve. Feels like you're able to cherry pick the best possible party instead of rolling with what they give you?
Eliminates the issue I have with most party RPGs where I have to pass up an interesting character cause they're the same class as me.

Alastor3

Since playing an undead heal you from poison and hurt you from heal, what if you pick huntsman and have the healing speak, do you hurt yourself with it?

Xeteh

It doesn't help that I have no real knowledge of DnD systems but I keep making characters and then just assume I'm doing something wrong if I switch off the presets.

I'm glad the main music is so great. I sat on that character creation screen for so long trying to figure out what class to go. I ended up going with the one that's purely polymorph, and i'll just branch out from there.

Eliminates the issue I have with most party RPGs where I have to pass up an interesting character cause they're the same class as me.

Yup. It's a trade off since a character's class can't be integral to their character with this method, but it was recently a huge issue for me in DA:I where I was a mage, and the two characters that interested me the most were also mages, so in order to have a passable composition i had to bring people i didn't care about.

Artdayne

Yep, tactician mode is a lot harder than last game. The fact that it's so much more difficult to CC in this game makes all the difference as the enemy has much larger physical and magic armor values than you even at the same level which means they are able to CC you much sooner than you are able to CC them. I also didn't realize that you couldn't drop the difficulty in tactician mode so i'm starting over on classic.

kai3345

Banned
Also I can't figure out how to alter an NPC's portrait in the GM mode. I made a black dude but his portrait is still an old white guy

Top Bottom