• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Purkake4

Banned
Whelp, I was really hoping the tone of the game would be different compared to D:OS (1). I really want to like both of these games, they're so well made, turn based rpgs are my favorite genre but every time I boot it up it feels like I'm watching a saturday morning children's cartoon and it completely kills the game for me.

Anyone else experienced the same and if so, how did you get over it?
This is literally me.

Haven't so far :/

kai3345

Banned
Whelp, I was really hoping the tone of the game would be different compared to D:OS (1). I really want to like both of these games, they're so well made, turn based rpgs are my favorite genre but every time I boot it up it feels like I'm watching a saturday morning children's cartoon and it completely kills the game for me.

by enjoying it

not everything needs to be grim dark and edgy. loved the irreverent tone of OS1 and even the comparatively more serious tone of this game is still fun

[TW]Stone

Tripwire Producer

strange... one of the feedback items they stated was that the tone would be darker based on community feedback. Hmmm

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Still havent gotten a download code for PC (I was a KS backer) is this normal? The last email didnt seem to mention any of it

Like good lulz or bad lulz?

Looking at the skills, good lulz, they seem very strong. They'll probably be strong contenders for Tactician, adding more units is always good to soak up damage, the Incarnates give you additional skills including an aoe taunt and their damage output isn't tied to a stat so you can stack stuff like wits and con and ignore int making the characters really tanky.

As boring as it would be, I think something like 4man summoner > 2man summoner with lone wolf(once you have enough skills/levels) is probably going to be top tier for tactician/ironman. Wits/Con with shield+wand and a bit of every school for utility/CC spells+ summons. Maybe just stay with 4summoners to spam summons everywhere.

Maximo

Maybe Pillars Of Eternity is more your style then?

Shahadan

Some woman told me a heartbreaking story about her child and husband
She thanked me for listening and gave me a healing scroll
But she had the skillbook and that's more interesting

So I pickpocketed her.
Am I going to jail? ;(

Oh wait this is a prison island anyway

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
On another note summoners are kind of lulz worthy now.

Looking at the skills, good lulz, they seem very strong. They'll probably be strong contenders for Tactician, adding more units is always good to soak up damage, the Incarnates give you additional skills including an aoe taunt and their damage output isn't tied to a stat so you can stack stuff like wits and con and ignore int making the characters really tanky.

As boring as it would be, I think something like 4man summoner > 2man summoner with lone wolf(once you have enough skills/levels) is probably going to be top tier for tactician/ironman. Wits/Con with shield+wand and a bit of every school for utility/CC spells+ summons. Maybe just stay with 4summoners to spam summons everywhere.

That's good to hear. I was immediately drawn to summoning but was worried it might not be very effective. I don't need it to be OP but hearing that it is strong is a relief.

Xyber

So, what's up with people being able to join your games even though it's set to invite only in the settings? =/

We are 3 people and a random 4th keeps joining constantly and we can't get it to stop.

Durante

C.S.Lewis said:
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Shahadan

What's the downside of pickpocketing anyway? I've been doing that everywhere for half an hour
I get that they try to search you but that's easily avoided

Vamphuntr

I feel like this game is too big, too long and too involved to play with random people, I can't imagine a lfg thread would have much success.

Yeah I played the first one with my best friend. You need someone that will stick for the long run and be patient enough when you will see the game over screen again and again.

What's the downside of pickpocketing anyway? I've been doing that everywhere for half an hour
I get that they try to search you but that's easily avoided

The searching is the only downside really. In the first game it was even easier since there wasn't any searching involved and you could just steal everything right in front of people are long as you were sneaking/invis, now they do have reactions and stuff but if you're careful and methodical about it you can just clean everything out anyway.

Shahadan

The searching is the only downside really. In the first game it was even easier since there wasn't any searching involved and you could just steal everything right in front of people are long as you were sneaking/invis, now they do have reactions and stuff but if you're careful and methodical about it you can just clean everything out anyway.

Oh well. Will try to resist and do it less.
It's fun though

While it's not in tone like Pillars of Eternity, D:OS2 so far is much more balanced than D:OS with its tone that it's not overtly "happy go-lucky" like the first, but it still has Larian's humour and aesthetic... just more balanced. Aalthough since this game is so huge we've barely scratched the surface so far so we don't know how much it changes yet.

Personally my preference is something like PoE however I still like a less serious tone to games from time to time as well and we don't get much of that in RPGs so Larian is a nice change up with their RPGs.

I can't really add much right now since the game has only been out for a few hours. To be clear it's not a massive tonal shift, but for me there is a noticeable shift (and I like it).

JambiBum

Loved the first one although I never finished it, liking what I'm seeing so far.

Although I do think it's weird that potential party members ask you what role they should serve. Feels like you're able to cherry pick the best possible party instead of rolling with what they give you?

They originally had it this way, but with the origin stories being included the way they are they didn't want people to miss out on a character just because their class didn't fit with the party a player had set up.

Since playing an undead heal you from poison and hurt you from heal, what if you pick huntsman and have the healing speak, do you hurt yourself with it?

Anything that is a normal healing spell will hurt you however taking necro skills + leech will not.

jrcbandit

If I play Undead and a skill does damage + heals you, does that mean the user will take damage with every spell? For example, Mosquito Swam says it will heal the user.

In the original game, I went ranger, warrior, and 2 different spellcaster types. Will probably do something similar, although I'm not sure the best secondary classes to synergize for melee movement or ranger stuff.

Mr. Tibbs

God damn, this is one slick game. After everything the studio's been through, it's fantastic to see them deliver an independently product this polished, which is a huge accomplishment considering how reactive the game world is (I don't think they have any competition in that area). VO adds so much, as do the origin stories. Fane' skill set is so much fun to experiment with. My only concern is that this is going to eat up a massive amount of time.

Topped the Steam charts, too!

I'm in love with this, probably gonna be my jam for the next month. Such a beautifully detailed world filled with colourful characters, I'm in heaven!

Hm. I thought the Lost Mines of Phandelver was going to be included with the Game Master mode?

No, that update was a bit confusing/misleading. They went to WotC to find out if they could use Lost Mines to demo GM mode, not include it in the game. Question is whether someone will put in the work to recreate it and just put it up on the workshop or if they'll sell it as DLC.

epmode

I'm thinking of going with Fane as my MC. Figured I'd put a point into Geomancer for poison heals. I have a question about effective heals:

Can you target yourself with poison bolt? You know, it's that first level single target ranged damage spell. Or is Contamination the way to go? Maybe a completely different skill than Geomancer would be better?

Alastor3

Best origin story should be?

Also, i dont know between lizard to dig and breath fire or elf to eat corpse to learn spell since i might pick undead.

Does playing undead change dialog option?

JC Sera

my download is going to take a day
could someone please let me know what the race stats are like now, I know they changed them from the EA

Akronis

[TW]Stone;248983628 said:
strange... one of the feedback items they stated was that the tone would be darker based on community feedback. Hmmm

It's definitely not as wacky as the first one, but Larian humor still exists in the game.

Both games are better off for it. You can find hundreds of RPGs that are edgy, grimdark schlock. It's difficult to find an actual funny cRPG.

blackw0lf

It's definitely not as wacky as the first one, but Larian humor still exists in the game.

Both games are better off for it. You can find hundreds of RPGs that are edgy, grimdark schlock. It's difficult to find an actual funny cRPG.

Also some of the humor is pretty dark as well.

Did a couple of hours Co op with friends. We have a Fighter, Conjurer, Shadowblade (Me) and something I forget. I have found no particularly useful gear so far, getting pitiful damage in most fights. We fought some giant turtles and cosmic crocodiles...is there any stash or merchant I should look for, for armour and daggers?

kionedrik

Anyone have any impressions of Tactician mode yet?

I'm not very far, obviously, but so far I'd say it's harder than the first game's tactician mode. Combat is messy and brutal and can easily turn into a shameful defeat if you simply rush the enemies. It almost feels unfair especially in the early stages, before you have any decent-ish equipment and levels. Crafting feels like a must, especially grenades.
I'm not sure if the difficulty also changes the persuasion success chances during conversations but so far I wasn't able to win a single one.

MouldyK

I might try seeing if me and my friend like these sort of games by playing Explorer Mode on the first game.

Any others played Explorer on the first game and can tell me if it's good or not?

Megauap

Finally decided to start with Lohse. I'm 2 hours in and still in the ship...
Going to sleep now as it's a bit late, will have to continue tomorrow.

Almost done downloading. Really excited to dig in. Been stressful for me lately. Gonma crack a beer and play the rest of the night.

Labadal

I'm loving this. I now have three characters. My PC (Red Prince) with air and water magic. One archer and a two handed fighter. I'll venture down to the arena once I hit level 3.

Top Bottom