• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Alastor3

Seems kinda unnecessary. I mean, splitting yourself between int and finesse leaves both weakened. Drop the ranger part, make a pure caster, deal ranged damage with wands instead. Is there a particular reason you want to wear a bow/crossbow?

Also, it just occurred to me: with the bow/crossbow range nerf, why the hell use special arrows over grenades then? unless they nerfed grenade range into the ground...

but if i don't want to play a mage because i was a mage in DOS1?

Would a huntsman/summoner be viable?

Lanrutcon

I have a friend that's on the final boss of the raid. As a person who hasn't done any other portion of the raid if I join and beat it will I get the milestone?

Came only came out a few hours ago and you're already raiding? I am impressed.

but if i don't want to play a mage because i was a mage in DOS1?

Would a huntsman/summoner be viable?

I guess. Would be a good utility character?

Gaz_RB

Like I try not to get overhyped about games in the OT but god damn this game is AMAZING

Can you do online + split screen?

Sarcasm

Man I am having such regrets (that are probably self induced) about my choice.

I choose Necro and Poly....feel like starting over. I spent two hours on the ship though.

UberLevi

Lol, so I left my co-op partner alone for two minutes and he got into a fight with Sebille and we killed her off. Level 2 and we're already murdering companions for the hell of it. Love this game so much.

Just spent a good first 2 hours of the game.

I'm done recruiting everyone, next will be looting everything in the first town lol.

Xeteh

Now that I've found I enjoy summoning I can't decide on a party. I want to play my own character but I can't decide on my party. Starting the game is the hardest part.

Now that I've found I enjoy summoning I can't decide on a party. I want to play my own character but I can't decide on my party. Starting the game is the hardest part.

Yeah, I took the Red Prince as my main but I thought I'll be missing his magnificent dialogues if I'm actually playing as him.

So I restarted with a custom character, a cleric, so I can enjoy being his slave. I can even bring more slaves for him!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Certainly digging it so far. Managed to not get stuck in a reroll cycle, summoner Fane has been working out just fine.

OmegaDL50

I had a personal blackout on information on this game because I wanted to be completely surprised.

My only question is can you create every character in your party? Or is it similar to the first game in which you had two Source Hunters and the rest being NPC recruits?

I'd like to create an entirely custom party if possible.

Anyone?

Stiler

A post earlier in the thread mentioned that the two human companions have the pet pal ability, so if you plan on recruiting either of them you could just save yourself a skill point.

Based on my experience with D:OS EE, a character focusing on warfare with a point in aerothurge / hydrosophist or pyrokinetic / geomancer could be handy for taking advantage of elemental combos, while primarily being a warrior. For example, aerothurge gives you access to teleport (one point wonder skill, imo), and hydrosophist give you access to freezing / cc enemies, which was really useful in proccing bully (if it is still a skill in DOS: 2).

damn, is there a way to respec? A few hours in, feel like I wasted a skill point then if that's the case. I was under the impession to use pet pal your character had to have it.

Kalentan

So you should go with an Origin character for your first run?

If I'm understanding the first post?

Still kind of weird you can't name them.

Zomba13

So I really only noticed this game today. I mean, I knew about it and the one before, I knew it was a big RPG with all the choice and different way to do stuff, but really only noticed it today. The combat seems cool and the multiplayer, while obviously not the biggest draw, has me very intrigued.

So could me and three friends group together and play from the start, each creating our character in Jim's save game?
And then when we all play again we can jump in with them?
How does it handle fewer people than last time, like if only me and Jim are online and decide we want to play, what happens to Pam and Sam's characters or will it not let us start that game?

I think it'd be super cool to basically go through a scripted, massive D&D campaign with some friends. With full graphics and being able to see our characters and junk.

epmode

You only create one character but the party members you recruit ask what role you want them to take so you can choose their class. That's it though.

You’re absolutely sure there’s no way to recruit an entirely custom character? Like a henchman in the last game? Larian supposedly said you could in a recent Twitch stream.

So I really only noticed this game today. I mean, I knew about it and the one before, I knew it was a big RPG with all the choice and different way to do stuff, but really only noticed it today. The combat seems cool and the multiplayer, while obviously not the biggest draw, has me very intrigued.

So could me and three friends group together and play from the start, each creating our character in Jim's save game?
How does it handle fewer people than last time, like if only me and Jim are online and decide we want to play, what happens to Pam and Sam's characters or will it not let us start that game?.

The multiplayer mode is handled entirely from the host’s perspective. The other players temporarily take over the other characters in the host’s party.

How does it handle fewer people than last time, like if only me and Jim are online and decide we want to play, what happens to Pam and Sam's characters or will it not let us start that game?

Whoever starts the game is the host, they are the one that has the save file. You would just control the characters that are in his game. He could play without you for instance and be in control of all the characters. If the host isn't online you can't play that save file though.

If someone is missing, their character can be assigned to another player, who will have 2.

I think it'd be super cool to basically go through a scripted, massive D&D campaign with some friends. With full graphics and being able to see our characters and junk.

There is a dungeon master mode, where 1 player can control the enemies, assign loot and rewards, generate quests, etc. There's a livestream where Matt Mercer of Critical Role did the Lost Mines of Phandelver from DnD 5E with four streamers!

You're absolutely sure there's no way to recruit an entirely custom character? Like a henchman in the last game? Larian supposedly said you could in a recent Twitch stream.

You can hire henchmen in Act 2 apparently. Also maybe you can start a multiplayer game and see if it well let you create more than one character? I haven't tested that out

Xeteh

You’re absolutely sure there’s no way to recruit an entirely custom character? Like a henchman in the last game? Larian supposedly said you could in a recent Twitch stream.

Ah sorry, I have no idea about that. I haven't gotten very far so I'm not sure if something like that comes up later.

I really want to find Beast in Fort Joy. I want a pirate dwarf companion. Anyone know where the little scamp is?

You're absolutely sure there's no way to recruit an entirely custom character? Like a henchman in the last game? Larian supposedly said you could in a recent Twitch stream.

They are all based on the origin character from the prologue, but you get to customize their class. It's a nice compromise.

How do extra companions work, outside of the party? The ones you don't take are they just abandoned where they stand? Do they go to some stronghold somewhere? Do they continue leveling up and can be found later in the game?

carlsojo

Damn I get destroyed in the fight in the
jail below Fort Joy.

Shit I can't even beat these fucking crocodiles :/

I really want to find Beast in Fort Joy. I want a pirate dwarf companion. Anyone know where the little scamp is?

West of the fort, near some big rocks and crashed ship he's working on.

What difficulty is everyone playing on? Feeling like I'm getting destroyed most of the time on classic mode

Adventurer! I'm here to blow shit up and experience the story my first go around, not worry about optimization.

How do extra companions work, outside of the party? The ones you don't take are they just abandoned where they stand? Do they go to some stronghold somewhere? Do they continue leveling up and can be found later in the game?

In each 'act' of the game they move to a different place. They level up whenever they join the party, but you always set their class when they first join.

I played up to Fort Joy with Fane as a Necromancer. I love it, but man I always get immobilized by the immense amount of choices at the beginning of these games. So many people to talk to to and nooks and crannies. I can only play for an hour or so and I just have to take a break.

Can you only recruit enough origin characters to fill a four man party with you, or can you recruit them all and then use the ones you like whenever you prefer?

Rizzi

Went with the Fane origin character. Seems easy enough to heal myself with leech and poison.

Can you only recruit enough origin characters to fill a four man party with you, or can you recruit them all and then use the ones you like whenever you prefer?

I also want to know.

Combat isn't something to be taken lightly in this game, if you're not properly leveled and well equipped you will probably get your ass handed to you, again and again.

Damn I get destroyed in the fight in the
jail below Fort Joy.

Shit I can't even beat these fucking crocodiles :/

The one where the guy summons
the dog at the start?
. What difficulty? I was playing in classic mode and was getting wrecked on that fight...I beat it a couple times but lost 2 party members and had no rez scrolls and they cost way more gold than I had to buy so I kept having to reload the fight. Annoying af...ended up switching to explorer mode it's like a night and day difference in how difficult the game is. Beat it first time real easy.

Played about 6 hours of tactician mode, and i'ma gonna restart on normal.
Learning the new systems/terrain/enemies at the same time is kinda ridiculous :')

Kard8p3

Never played the old DOS, but am heavily debating about getting this, so far all it seems like everyone is enjoying it

Went with the Fane origin character. Seems easy enough to heal myself with leech and poison.

I went with Fane as well. The Necromancer Blood Sucker skill is really handy for healing.

Does Leech work with Fane/Undead as well? I wasn't sure if it counted as "normal" healing, and would damage Undead. If Leech works with Undead that'd be great.

Also, Bloated Corpse (or whatever Necromancer skill lets you create a summon out of dead bodies) is really handy for an Undead with Blood Sucker. The "summon" itself is pretty useful, but the huge blood pool they leave when they die/explode is great for healing. Basically lets you get two blood pools per dead body (one when they die normally, and another, larger one when the summon dies).

Only got off the ship but I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to more time to play tomorrow.

Top Bottom