• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

cevion

I just read that you can create your whole party at the beginning by opening 4 instances of the game. Neat.

Yeah I posted about it with a link to a video explaining how to do it above :)

Do you have any recommendations for what skills and talents to pick for a starting party?

I've got Fane so I have to pick up some poison skills to get him healed. I grabbed the Red Prince as a Geo/Pyro, Sebille as Geo/Hydro and Fane as a Huntsman/Scoundrel (my rogue), and lastly Fane as Warfare/Scoundrel (2h tank). No idea if this will synergize well though. First aid doesn't heal Fane, which is a bummer. Poison arrow seems to do the trick though.

Damn decisions are hard, guys :p

Sarcasm

Yeah I posted about it with a link to a video explaining how to do it above :)

Do you have any recommendations for what skills and talents to pick for a starting party?

I've got Fane so I have to pick up some poison skills to get him healed. I grabbed the Red Prince as a Geo/Pyro, Sebille as Geo/Hydro and Fane as a Huntsman/Scoundrel (my rogue), and lastly Fane as Warfare/Scoundrel (2h tank). No idea if this will synergize well though. First aid doesn't heal Fane, which is a bummer. Poison arrow seems to do the trick though.

Damn decisions are hard, guys :p

Necromancy heals him too.

cevion

Necromancy heals him too.

Ah, cheers! Oh, it's a passive 10% heal for 1 point in necromancy. That is very nice! I'll grab it when I level up! :]

Edit: I've got one final issue with the "starting with 4 customized player trick". I can't seem to talk to my teammates. Anybody know how to get around this? Sorry for all the questions.

Ryzaki009

Yeah Classic Mode. I "skipped it" and
went upstairs instead. And got my shit WRECKED in another fucking fight.

I cheesed that fight because even in EA without the dog summon it was BS with the archers. Just make them chase your fastest moving character to one of the rooms. Leads to a nice choke point. If you have summoners just have them chip at everyone's health.

For that fight I had Knight Sebille, Archer/Summoner Ifan, Pure Summoner Red Prince and my PC as a support mage.

Mostly this classic is a lot easier than the EA version tho. Like I thought I was gonna wipe on the witch fight but nope did it in one try.

Orcastar

As Soon as Im able to buy the game, Ill start my insane project of fan translating it.

1 Million words. Wish me luck.

A good professional translator can typically translate about 2,500 - 3,000 words per day (assuming that they're working 8 hours a day). At a speed of 3,000 words per day, translating a million words would take 333 days.

So yeah, good luck with that.

aravuus

Can you change back and forth between Classic and Explorer mode? There's no doubt in my mind that some fights are going to be just way too hard for me on Classic, so I'm thinking of playing on Classic normally and if I simply can't manage to win a fight in, say, 5 tries, I'll drop the difficulty down to Explorer for that fight only.

Can you change back and forth between Classic and Explorer mode? There's no doubt in my mind that some fights are going to be just way too hard for me on Classic, so I'm thinking of playing on Classic normally and if I simply can't manage to win a fight in, say, 5 tries, I'll drop the difficulty down to Explorer for that fight only.
I went from classic to explorer no problem. It is in options to switch on the fly

Btw, does rogue suck now? Lol

Vamphuntr

Cool. Stuck in combat after a super long and arduous fight.

Can't flee.

Awesome. A+.

The game is pretty buggy. If you get polymorphed into a chicken sometimes it becomes impossible to end your turn so you have to quit the game. In fights the game will randomly flicker to a black screen. I had a quest bug where the dialog box for the NPC would simply flash and auto close itself.

It seems overall less balanced than the EA. Some fights enemies simply cover way to much ground and spam AoE disable at you then cloak and warp around while casting layers of protective magics while you can't do anything.

Lucifon

Cool. Stuck in combat after a super long and arduous fight.

Can't flee.

Awesome. A+.
I had this right at the beginning. I stole a book on the ship and failed a persuasion check. Combat started but I couldn't do a thing. Couldn't attack, flee or anything. So I just had to reload.

So what's the benefit of choosing an Origin as our main character?

I believe we'll miss out on his/her voiced dialogues as dialogue choices (as MC) aren't voiced, right?

I had this right at the beginning. I stole a book on the ship and failed a persuasion check. Combat started but I couldn't do a thing. Couldn't attack, flee or anything. So I just had to reload.

I've had a couple of weapons with me at that point. They're like 2-3 hits to kill.

So I want to try the undead character since it sounds fun. I see people saying to do Necromance for it, so since im bad at planning builds, would a battlemage be fine using Necro skills as well? Also if Im playing as undead what are the risks it was mentioning, I know unequiping armor had eveyone attack me right away lol.

danthefan

I'm on holiday at the moment so definitely falls into the category of first world problems but man I can't wait to play this. Should be able to start on Sunday, might even make it past the character creator.

Welp just bought the game. 7 hour download. Curse you shitty internet!

Anyway, is it possible to make a swashbuckling pirate character in the game? something like one handed cutlass/rapier/bombs/traps/high charisma or persuasion? I usually end up making all different kinds of builds in these games but pirate/rogue is always my favorite.

Fou-Lu

Played a couple hours finally. Enjoying it immensely. My friend is a lizard and is taking warfare and polymorph as his main skills and wants to wield two handers. I am an elf and doing scoundrel and aerotheurge and will dual wield daggers.

We aren't sure which companions we want to take with us. Are romances with the companions confirmed? If so, is same sex romance possible?

Dinjooh

Hope you're all having fun with the game. My GF and I decided to wait a day to see how the couch co-op experience was.

Has any of you tried how controller support is (DS4 in particular), how co-op controller support is, and how the UI scaling options are (The couch is 3 meters away from the telly)

If all seems to be working well we'll probably be jumping in tonight after a birthday party.

Welp just bought the game. 7 hour download. Curse you shitty internet!

Anyway, is it possible to make a swashbuckling pirate character in the game? something like one handed cutlass/rapier/bombs/traps/high charisma or persuasion? I usually end up making all different kinds of builds in these games but pirate/rogue is always my favorite.

Yep. There's even a talent that makes one-handed characters expend 1AP less using scrolls, grenades etc. I think.

Ferrio

Banned
Been a long time since I played the first game, but do we ever the get the choice for a different class/social skill set or are we stuck with the 3 categories for the whole game?

Hope you're all having fun with the game. My GF and I decided to wait a day to see how the couch co-op experience was.

Has any of you tried how controller support is (DS4 in particular), how co-op controller support is, and how the UI scaling options are (The couch is 3 meters away from the telly)

If all seems to be working well we'll probably be jumping in tonight after a birthday party.

I use DS4 and it's perfect so far, just like in the previous game.

Here's the control scheme I took earlier:
BB1F447D652E252DC45AA3039C8A794E687644A8
I'm 2 meters away from a 43" TV and I feel like the texts (especially dialogues) are quite big.

So I want to try the undead character since it sounds fun. I see people saying to do Necromance for it, so since im bad at planning builds, would a battlemage be fine using Necro skills as well? Also if Im playing as undead what are the risks it was mentioning, I know unequiping armor had eveyone attack me right away lol.

Yep, just remember that healing spells (hydro) will do damage to you, not heal you. You need poison or necro skills to regen your hp. Somewhere in fort joy proper
He's in the dungeons below the main fort
, you find an item that lets you convert regular healing potions into poison potions. Obviously you'll want to hang onto that.

So what's the benefit of choosing an Origin as our main character?

You get to decide how that character's story plays out. Also you get extra dialogue options that go along with their personality, though you don't have to take them. Red Prince is even more of an imperious dick than most noble tags, Lohse is a smartass etc. There are also some specific instances where you get to talk about your past or future that seem to only apply to if you're a pre-made.

We aren't sure which companions we want to take with us. Are romances with the companions confirmed? If so, is same sex romance possible?

There are definitely romances, but we don't know for sure who can romance who. Undead can romance someone at least. In a trailer it showed Lohse and Red Prince together.. you can also hit on Lohse as Sebille when you recruit her.

Renekton

I made a Lizard with one-handed and hydro. The hydro seems wasted due to unable to combo with Lizard racial :S should I have started out with Geo?

aravuus

FUCK, I just noticed the Divine edition on Steam has a digital version of the lore book. Goddamn it, and I bought the regular edition without thinking.

How do you get the digital books? Is it like a code you redeem from larian's site or something? If I gift the Divine edition to one of my friends, can I redeem the books somewhere or are they locked to the account of whomever I gifted the game to?

Dinjooh

I use DS4 and it's perfect so far, just like in the previous game.

Here's the control scheme I took earlier:

I'm 2 meters away from a 43" TV and I feel like the texts (especially dialogues) are quite big.

That all sounds fantastic. Is it still the ol' regular connect via usb or bluetooth and use DS4Windows or whatever it's called?

I'm gonna be so annoying at the birthday party later. 'Oh yea, I just reaaally need to get home, personal issue'

You get to decide how that character's story plays out. Also you get extra dialogue options that go along with their personality, though you don't have to take them. Red Prince is even more of an imperious dick than most noble tags, Lohse is a smartass etc. There are also some specific instances where you get to talk about your past or future that seem to only apply to if you're a pre-made.

I see. I've tried picking the Red Prince before, but I'm disappointed that our dialogue choices aren't voiced. I also feared that I wouldn't be able to hear his background like when I use a custom character. I can actually make conversations with him, learning his backgrounds, etc. So if I'm role-playing an Origin character, the conversations with regarding his/her backgrounds will be displayed in those specific instances instead?

I like the Origin characters and I'd like to include as many of them in my party as possible. So if that's the case I guess I'm restarting.

That all sounds fantastic. Is it still the ol' regular connect via usb or bluetooth and use DS4Windows or whatever it's called?

I'm gonna be so annoying at the birthday party later. 'Oh yea, I just reaaally need to get home, personal issue'

Yeah, you can either use DS4Windows or Steam DS4 support via big picture mode for the controller to work.

You can also choose the button icons between xbox or dualshock buttons in the option.

cevion

So tried that make custom for characters.

I can't cope with the choices ��

Heh, tell me about it! Those choices are awful! I am running Geo/pyro and hydro/aero and those spell combinations work very well. Geo is handy for slow, and then you can detonate it with poison or fire. Pyro is also awesome because of Haste!

Furthermore, a ranger with auto attack does surprisingly good damage, especially with the talent that buffs your damage up on higher terrain. Can also recommend Adrenaline and Flesh Sacrifice for extra AP, and finally a tank with Battle Stomp. But that's just what I'm toying with right now - there are certainly lots of alternatives.

In EA I ran a summoner + polymorph that invisibility thing (Chameleon) is nice for stealing items if you fancy that, but better yet are the totems which do really good damage, and you can have a total of 3 up at the same time!

I'm curious though, did you build your custom team through running 4 instances of the game and creating a MP game? If so, can you interact with your party members?

I did the above mentioned and I'm really happy having all these customized origin characters, but I can't figure out how to talk to them. When I met Ivan in the first town (not in my original party) all my party members got something like +70 attitude with me, which is nice, but I'm worried I'm missing out on my customized origin character's quests.

Should I restart or am I missing something fundamental in the game, like a toggle or a button? (I'm referring to the method in this video if anyone wonders or knows how to get my party members to talk to me)

Thanks in advance and good luck with yer choices all - this is a magnificent game!

(Sorry if this post is meandering and long, didn't get much sleep)

edit:
I made a Lizard with one-handed and hydro. The hydro seems wasted due to unable to combo with Lizard racial :S should I have started out with Geo?

Nah, you can get Geo on him or another character (or use an earth/poison wand!). Hydro is really useful for Restoration, and you can combo the ice/water spells with another character (or give him aero too) with lightning spells. I say keep on trucking! :) My lizard is rocking Geo/pyro/hyro atm, at level two.

FUCK, I just noticed the Divine edition on Steam has a digital version of the lore book. Goddamn it, and I bought the regular edition without thinking.

How do you get the digital books? Is it like a code you redeem from larian's site or something? If I gift the Divine edition to one of my friends, can I redeem the books somewhere or are they locked to the account of whomever I gifted the game to?

You can just grab the Divine Ascension DLC. Should work out the same as buying the Divine Edition of the game.

aravuus

You can just grab the Divine Ascension DLC. Should work out the same as buying the Divine Edition of the game.

Ooh, didn't see that. Thanks a ton! Definitely getting this as soon as I get home.

Anyway, how do the instruments work? I don't quite get it and there are no previews.

As far as I understood it, it sounds like the instrument of your choice is just added to the background music during big story moments or something. I could barely tell the difference in the character creation, so I guess it's not a very big thing.

Dinjooh

I see. I've tried picking the Red Prince before, but I'm disappointed that our dialogue choices aren't voiced. I also feared that I wouldn't be able to hear his background like when I use a custom character. I can actually make conversations with him, learning his backgrounds, etc. So if I'm role-playing an Origin character, the conversations with regarding his/her backgrounds will be displayed in those specific instances instead?

I like the Origin characters and I'd like to include as many of them in my party as possible. So if that's the case I guess I'm restarting.

Yeah, you can either use DS4Windows or Steam DS4 support via big picture mode for the controller to work.

You can also choose the button icons between xbox or dualshock buttons in the option.

Damn. Larian Studios are just the go-to developer for this kind of thing. So glad to hear it all just works.

Manatox

Arghh, i'm stuck at work and can't help thinking about this game ><

Anyways, how viable do you think is to let summoner pets tank or soak damage and skip a dedicated tank alltoghter and instead use 2 spell casters (1 healer and cc focused, the other aoe and cc) and 1 rogue type?

In the character creation?
If you click the different instruments they play in the background music, It's pretty subtle but they do preview.

Really?

I see. I was playing at 5 AM in the morning earlier so I turned the volume down. Thanks, I'll try again later tonight.

Also, is it only for the combat music?

robotrock

Banned
I think I accidentally backed this on Kickstarter meaning to check out the first game by the time this one came out. I did not manage to run through it in time.

Can I jump into this one?

Doc_Drop

I think I'll be on a third start after work tonight. Really struggling to achieve good synergy with the starting classes and companions whilst not having skill overlaps.

I don't really want my pc to be a support class but it looks as though, unless I want to go against type with the companions I may have to.

I guess as I level up I can just pick what I want the companions to do, just feels like leaving skill points in the table.

Also, I can't use Sebille, it's the same voice actor from my female pc from dragon age inquisition, which means I'll be without an elf but don't want to play as an elf myself.... decisions decisions

Dinjooh

I think I accidentally backed this on Kickstarter meaning to check out the first game by the time this one came out. I did not manage to run through it in time.

Can I jump into this one?

As far as I can see there's nothing holding you back from just going directly into this one.

Other than the fact that the first one is a masterpiece in of itself, and you should totally play that as well.

Top Bottom