• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Vamphuntr

Seems like it will require some balancing. Made it past the prison for tonight. Some fights are plain cheap because enemies have way much more armor than you. You have like 20-30 and they have 100+.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At level 2 I took geomancy instead of necromancy on my MC summoner fane. I hope I don't regret this.

Played about 6 hours of tactician mode, and i'ma gonna restart on normal.
Learning the new systems/terrain/enemies at the same time is kinda ridiculous :')

You can change difficulty in game...no need to restart. I ended up doing it... Classic mode -> explorer mode when I got to fort joy prison lol. I didn't have any trouble till I got there. I kinda feel like explorer mode is too easy but classic mode is too hard...

Can you only recruit enough origin characters to fill a four man party with you, or can you recruit them all and then use the ones you like whenever you prefer?

Went with the Fane origin character. Seems easy enough to heal myself with leech and poison.

I also want to know.

You can recruit them all. Then you can choose to bring 3 of them max with you (4 if you're playing an origin character) via the party management window.

carlsojo

The one where the guy summons
the dog at the start?
. What difficulty? I was playing in classic mode and was getting wrecked on that fight...I beat it a couple times but lost 2 party members and had no rez scrolls and they cost way more gold than I had to buy so I kept having to reload the fight. Annoying af...ended up switching to explorer mode it's like a night and day difference in how difficult the game is. Beat it first time real easy.

Yeah Classic Mode. I "skipped it" and
went upstairs instead. And got my shit WRECKED in another fucking fight.

I think I know that one...
where you kind of pull the whole room of enemies and the one guy basically one shots you with a backstab lol
Change to explorer mode in settings and watch how easy everything becomes. I was amazed lol

Vamphuntr

At level 2 I took geomancy instead of necromancy on my MC summoner fane. I hope I don't regret this.

I went with Summoning and necromancy for mine. Totems and Incarnate are probably going to be nerfed. They take the elements you summon them on so you can spam freeze or flame with them and can have 3 totems at a time.

I think I know that one...
where you kind of pull the whole room of enemies and the one guy basically one shots you with a backstab lol

If you are Fane you can avoid fighting and get the Face Ripper to make masks from corpses from him by
the leg from the dead Lizard magistrate from the beginning

If you are Fane you can avoid fighting and get the Face Ripper to make masks from corpses from him by
the leg from the dead Lizard magistrate from the beginning

Not fane but I actually enjoy the fighting I just find the difficulty in classic mode to be crazy...well it was fine until I get beneath fort joy in the prison...then shit got real lol

JC Sera

Seems like it will require some balancing. Made it past the prison for tonight. Some fights are plain cheap because enemies have way much more armor than you. You have like 20-30 and they have 100+.
D:OS was like that too
Its to deter you from killing/engaging them while still giving you the option

Unai

Hmm so it seems Ifan still has the auto Pet Pal when you recruit him for free. Interestingly, Lohse also does, so now I have 2 characters with Pet Pal. Seems kinda weird, not sure if any other does. Red Prince didn't.

Also they nerfed the shit out of dual wield it looks like. It used to be 50% DW penalty only applied to offhand, now it applies to both. My rogue even with backstabs is doing pretty average/low damage. They did remove the backstab talent so that's nice but not sure how it's going to end up compared to some other classes, so wondering if I should reroll already.

Went and checked all the skills too, you need at most 5pt in a combat skill to unlock the 3memory highest tier spells, you can't spec everything with just 1. For 1memory skills, your bread and butter stuff, it's 1 or 2 pts depending on the skill, so that's still pretty cheap. And the ultimate polymorph skill looks broken as hell compared to all the others. There's some really cool new stuff too, traps, overwatch, walls and quite a lot of hybrid oriented skills(like spells that'll buff your attacks and such).

Max party size is 4. You can't play everything at once(6companions).

My Lohse does not have Pet Pal. Weird.

Anyone tried a rogue archetype yet? So far I've done 2 mage, 1 ranger (3 range) and 1 tank, its alright but shit gets rekt when the enemy manages to hit the backline

Sarcasm

Does necromancer work with undead?

Also I don't think necromancy and polymorph go together as both are support type, no actual way to damage. Right?

What should I (re)choose heh...

carlsojo

What the fuck I stole the
Prison Key
to avoid the fight and
it doesn't even unlock the door to the Waypoint!

Rizzi

I went with Fane as well. The Necromancer Blood Sucker skill is really handy for healing.

Does Leech work with Fane/Undead as well? I wasn't sure if it counted as "normal" healing, and would damage Undead. If Leech works with Undead that'd be great.

Also, Bloated Corpse (or whatever Necromancer skill lets you create a summon out of dead bodies) is really handy for an Undead with Blood Sucker. The "summon" itself is pretty useful, but the huge blood pool they leave when they die/explode is great for healing. Basically lets you get two blood pools per dead body (one when they die normally, and another, larger one when the summon dies).

Only got off the ship but I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to more time to play tomorrow.

I think anything considered necromancy that has a drain element works on the undead.

Anyone mind spitting out a couple good build archetypes just so I can get an idea of what the hell to make (or why certain things are good combinations?)

Xeteh

Anyone mind spitting out a couple good build archetypes just so I can get an idea of what the hell to make (or why certain things are good combinations?)

I could use some help too. Not really sure how to build a party, even on normal I'm struggling.

Beast location for those looking, just found him myself. Blue flag.

9686595FE50F173523AF583390E7C4830D7FEA30

Stiler

Ok, figuring out my character attributes.

I was planning on going like a dual wield with one-handed swords or such.

Do I invest in str or finesse for this?

Also is wits good for a melee fighter?

My main goal is to be a quick melee fighter with some magic skills to augment that, mainly some geo (for poison since I'm playing as Fane) and then polymorph.

Question for you guys, if I started a multiplayer game withother people, are the files exclusively on my HD or is there a way to transfer the save files to the other players so they can finish the playthrough?

Burt

Yeah, I definitely had to clear most of the west side of the island before I could handle that fight. Even then, I had to
run away and draw the enemy into the hallway with 3 totems and an incarnate, and still ended up losing two people. But I got 'em!

The armor/shield disparity between enemies and yourself is pretty, pretty rough in the beginning. I've been able to make do so far, but I'm definitely anxious about taking the next step into all these impending level 4 fights
above the jail
and not having enough resurrection scrolls/money to buy them to compensate.

Btw, anyone know where (Pet Pal)
Buddy's Key
goes to? Got it a while ago and haven't found the right lock yet.

Sarcasm

Heals from necromancy are only from necromancy spells right?

I already messed up always with necromancy and polymorph. Time to start over.

JC Sera

Yeah, I definitely had to clear most of the west side of the island before I could handle that fight. Even then, I had to
run away and draw the enemy into the hallway with 3 totems and an incarnate, and still ended up losing two people. But I got 'em!

The armor/shield disparity between enemies and yourself is pretty, pretty rough in the beginning. I've been able to make do so far, but I'm definitely anxious about taking the next step into all these impending level 4 fights
above the jail
and not having enough resurrection scrolls/money to buy them to compensate.

Btw, anyone know where (Pet Pal)
Buddy's Key
goes to? Got it a while ago and haven't found the right lock yet.
IIRC from playing EA months ago it helps you either open a hidden chest near
buddy
or a chest in the
source hound training area

cevion

So I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think many people would appreciate this.

You can customize every preset character to your liking and still get their origin stories by starting up 4 copies of the game and making a local multiplayer game. After launching the game and saving once, you can quit all instances but the one on your main, and then load that save and continue with all 4 characters solo. Bit of a hassle, but once you've done it you're set. This might be interesting for the min-maxers out there!

Kudos to Channel5 Gaming for the trick (how to starts at 3:30) https://youtu.be/dyDZlMZfpQs?t=210

The video is from Early Access, but I just tried it out and the trick still works. Now my problem is what skills to pick, this is gonna take ages ;)
(I found this on the divinity sub on reddit)

Edit: I've got one issue with this - I can't get my party members to auto-follow my main. I have to click on each character individually and then move them. Am I missing something basic or is this the trade-off for doing this trick? Thanks in advance!

Edit2: Found a way to fix my issue. Just drag the character portraits on top of the other, so a chain forms. Now everybody follows my main lizard. Awesome!

Sarcasm

So I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I think many people would appreciate this.

You can customize every preset character to your liking and still get their origin stories by starting up 4 copies of the game and making a local multiplayer game. After launching the game and saving once, you can quit all instances but the one on your main, and then load that save and continue with all 4 characters solo. Bit of a hassle, but once you've done it you're set. This might be interesting for the min-maxers out there!

Kudos to Channel5 Gaming for the trick (how to starts at 3:30) https://youtu.be/dyDZlMZfpQs?t=210

The video is from Early Access, but I just tried it out and the trick still works. Now my problem is what skills to pick, this is gonna take ages ;)

Okay sweet makes me feel less bad about restarting lol

Second try.

Elf main, for dat party cohesion. Rocking Elf/Doyle (Cleric), Fane (Battlemage), Red Prince (Ranger), and Beast (Rogue).

Red Prince given ample elevation is a goddamn beast with a bow.

StereoVsn

Finally had a chance to play the game for a couple of hours. Started as the Beast Rogue. So far so good, the game is great and combat better then ever. Picked up Fane and Red Lizard, the conversations are quite fun.

I can see this one taking a lot of my time over the next month.

Gattsu25

Banned
Never played the old DOS, but am heavily debating about getting this, so far all it seems like everyone is enjoying it

I'm just starting off but so far the game is very welcoming to new players.

(Note: I've played every Divinity game, but this game requires no prior knowledge so far)

Alright I'm restarting for the 4th/5th time (lost track) but still loving it so far, I just need solid team to get through it. I wish all the abilities were listed out so I can plan my built from the getgo.

Custom Main is gonna be Summon/Necro/Aeth (starting with Summon/Aeth at the beginning)

Red Prince is gonna be PyroTank

Fane is gonna be Death Knight/Inquisitor

Sibelle as Ranger

Sygma

What about armor breaking arrows and whatnot ?

Xeteh

Anyone know how to get to this chest on the beach of Fort Joy? Link

Its even before you get to the fort.

Can you bè more specific?

Edit: I've got one issue with this - I can't get my party members to auto-follow my main. I have to click on each character individually and then move them. Am I missing something basic or is this the trade-off for doing this trick? Thanks in advance!

Edit2: Found a way to fix my issue. Just drag the character portraits on top of the other, so a chain forms. Now everybody follows my main lizard. Awesome!

Top Bottom