• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Xeteh

Finally found a party I'm enjoying, doesn't hurt I found a lot of things around the fort so I'm a bit stronger than I was previously. Lets see if it sticks.

Sarcasm

Heh, tell me about it! Those choices are awful! I am running Geo/pyro and hydro/aero and those spell combinations work very well. Geo is handy for slow, and then you can detonate it with poison or fire. Pyro is also awesome because of Haste!

Furthermore, a ranger with auto attack does surprisingly good damage, especially with the talent that buffs your damage up on higher terrain. Can also recommend Adrenaline and Flesh Sacrifice for extra AP, and finally a tank with Battle Stomp. But that's just what I'm toying with right now - there are certainly lots of alternatives.

In EA I ran a summoner + polymorph that invisibility thing (Chameleon) is nice for stealing items if you fancy that, but better yet are the totems which do really good damage, and you can have a total of 3 up at the same time!

I'm curious though, did you build your custom team through running 4 instances of the game and creating a MP game? If so, can you interact with your party members?

I did the above mentioned and I'm really happy having all these customized origin characters, but I can't figure out how to talk to them. When I met Ivan in the first town (not in my original party) all my party members got something like +70 attitude with me, which is nice, but I'm worried I'm missing out on my customized origin character's quests.

Should I restart or am I missing something fundamental in the game, like a toggle or a button? (I'm referring to the method in this video if anyone wonders or knows how to get my party members to talk to me)

Thanks in advance and good luck with yer choices all - this is a magnificent game!

(Sorry if this post is meandering and long, didn't get much sleep)

edit:

Nah, you can get Geo on him or another character (or use an earth/poison wand!). Hydro is really useful for Restoration, and you can combo the ice/water spells with another character (or give him aero too) with lightning spells. I say keep on trucking! :) My lizard is rocking Geo/pyro/hyro atm, at level two.

Yea I did it that way. Haven't gotten far yet but if this is the case I don't know. It shouldn't affect it as the first game even one created by someone else worked just fine.

Though when you open multiple instances you do get a debug profile.

Shahadan

Half the time I'm like

giphy.gif

Rad-

I think I'm restarting. Int/str hybrid classes feel a bit weak compared to full int or full str builds. I think I'm going full str with two handed warfare + polymorph + small amount of scoundrel and pyro (for the buffs and utility) for my main guy.

Also is it just me or is wisdom quite bad compared to many other attributes?

Half the time I'm like

giphy.gif

I feel you.

Also, apparently all nobles are a-holes. I haven't found any good noble dialogue choice.

I think I'm restarting. Int/str hybrid classes feel a bit weak compared to full int or full str builds. I think I'm going full str with two handed warfare + polymorph + small amount of scoundrel and pyro (for the buffs and utility) for my main guy.

Really? I'm starting to doubt my Lohse cleric plan. :/

aravuus

The more I think about it, the more I like the way dialogue choices work.

So much more fun possibilities for jokes and subtleties. Of course, I'll have to play more to see if Larian has utilized the asterisks to their full extent, but I'm optimistic so far.

Blyr

Banned

Also is it just me or is wisdom quite bad compared to many other attributes?
I could be mistaken (or it could have changed) but I seem to remember that skills were based off your primary stat? So you wouldn't need to split your points in order to be a hybrid..

(I noticed this when pick pocketing skill books, it said searing daggers was based on your level and scaled with finesse instead of int, which it did when I gave it to my mage)

Again I could be completely mistaken on this, but it stuck out in my mind because it solved the "hybrid problem" for me

Lanrutcon

I could be mistaken (or it could have changed) but I seem to remember that skills were based off your primary stat? So you wouldn't need to split your points in order to be a hybrid..

(I noticed this when pick pocketing skill books, it said searing daggers was based on your level and scaled with finesse instead of int, which it did when I gave it to my mage)

Again I could be completely mistaken on this, but it stuck out in my mind because it solved the "hybrid problem" for me

This doesn't sync with my experience. I'll confirm after work, but things work of specific stats. Daggers are always finesse, Two Handed Swords are always Strength, etc. The whole downside of a Hybrid is that you need to split your attributes, otherwise there'd be no point in running anything else.

Loving the game but it's hard for us to get a group of four going with our semi-conflicting schedules. Bums me out.

Also, I had some lights flickering on the boat which stopped when I got off of it. Might be a driver related issue?

Is there a way to make health/armor values in combat to show? I'm playing with a controller and is kind of tiring having to use "examine" everytime.

Twinsen343

Dam it right at the start and the same part turns my machine off every time.... weird... tried all settings... playing battlefield 1 and other games doesn't do this... dam it I want to game!

FiraB

Banned
Went lizard with a water + poison build, so easy to just run around and rain + contam the environment. Undead will be my weakness till I can get some aero skills to electrify.

Glad i know how to necro-fire too, that shit melted bosses in EA. If I was smart id turn my entire party in mages but red and sebille can be meat fodder while my char and fane cast magic on everything.

After eventually finding the 4K option in resolution (and pressing A a dozen times when I was warned of instability when changing the resolution - it started me at barely above 720p with a 1080ti!) I got playing. It's very pretty in 4K. HDR would have been a bonus but I wasn't expecting it. Voices are generally good.
It's been a while since I played the first one so I'm slowly getting back into it and like others I have half a mind to start a new build. I really should have a Wizard or Elementalist in my party. But I'll persevere for now.

Ravelle

Made a start with the Fane and loving it so far, clicks way more the the previous one in which I didn't even manage to get out the village because I got insta killed for some reason.

There's something odd about all these different races and undead just having normal people voices though, you would think the undead should cackle more and the red prince to have more of a hissing voice.

Wait a minute, I have heard that voice before! Who else the voice actress of Lohse dubbed? Lara Croft?

According to Larian's Twitter account, the actress for Lohse is Tamaryn Payne.

We aren't sure which companions we want to take with us. Are romances with the companions confirmed? If so, is same sex romance possible?
Sebille seemed to sort of hit on my female character on the boat, so maybe?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The Red Prince is so damn funny.

I love him. I broke down and bought Early Access last night and dabbled for an hour on The Red Prince and RP'd it hard. Playing it again now with him and finding complete and utter attunement with Fane much to my amusement and joy.

This is going to be a magical game.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Didn't play the original game and I randomly got out of bed early this morning and purchased it. Also not a massive - this style - RPG player.

So far it's pretty damn good, Spent 8hrs on it so far today and i'm still in the first bloody zone. I keep randomly finding quests and enemies that still need to be killed. I have no idea what story i'm following because of it.

I sure suck at the combat though, most fights have ended up being pretty difficult with me dying a lot of times. Not a major issue since I quick save just before the battle.

Being a rogue sure feels underwhelming at the start so far, Feels like I should have gone something else.

cevion

Yea I did it that way. Haven't gotten far yet but if this is the case I don't know. It shouldn't affect it as the first game even one created by someone else worked just fine.

Though when you open multiple instances you do get a debug profile.

Thanks for the answer!

I now realize the "4 custom origin characters trick" works fine - just a little different from a normal game. I was worried the origin quests/dialog choices were bugged, but they're not, just handled in another way.

Since you are in charge of all heroes you get to choose/roleplay all their responses, one by one, when they react to something (like a companion quest or an event in game happening), instead of the AI choosing how they respond.

You can do all the companion quests by initiating said quests with respective companion. I really dig this style of playing. Gives you more options, both with character creation, and then for dialogue choices.

Some people might think this trivializes the companion balance of the game, since I'm pretty sure some teammates otherwise automatically have negative reactions to certain events/choices, but it doesn't bother me that I'm in charge of the whole squad. It's just like playing MP solo.

I am now level 3, soon 4 after 6 hours and I'm having a blast guys! Just got the "Hero" tag after helping multiple people/questing. A murdering kleptomaniac hero though, since I am pickpocketing everything of value like a madman, and killing people I deem evil outside the line of sight of guards for that extra XP ;)

(I'm gonna chill with these long ass posts now, I got my answers and understand the system. Have fun all!)

Strazyplus

I now realize the "4 custom origin characters trick" works fine.

There's also a guide on steam guides I made about 45 days before that channel made that video. but videos are better than reading until you get stuck. maybe I will do a proper video someday. For now, I will just settle for a guide and seek a better method of creating a fully custom party.

it's awfully simple too just.. a lot of steps.

Go to game files via file explorer, launch game, start a single player game and allow lan access in connectivity menu, create the character and DO NOT start, then alt tab (repeat these steps forward for each client) start client and change the profile the join the server on lan. make the character then hit start before alt tab and repeat this step. Once all done hit start on the first client and wait a long time. once in save and close all the other clients. leaving only the host client. or close them all since you saved and start the game as normal and load the save.

do not join a server with two clients with the same profile, once the game starts the game will corrupt everything would be buggy. (at least was so in EA, I tested my guide and it worked even better less of a resource drain it was in EA.

Sentenza

People here talk about "using four custom characters" when I'm here just after the tutorial pretty much paralyzed by the choice of which companion I should leave out of my party.

I chose Tactician mode because I wanted a harder AI, but what I get is more or less that but also extremely bulky enemies with and added 50% stats. So far I don't feel it really balanced. Should have choosen Classic mode I feel.

Sarcasm

Thanks for the answer!

I now realize the "4 custom origin characters trick" works fine - just a little different from a normal game. I was worried the origin quests/dialog choices were bugged, but they're not, just handled in another way.

Since you are in charge of all heroes you get to choose/roleplay all their responses, one by one, when they react to something (like a companion quest or an event in game happening), instead of the AI choosing how they respond.

You can do all the companion quests by initiating said quests with respective companion. I really dig this style of playing. Gives you more options, both with character creation, and then for dialogue choices.

Some people might think this trivializes the companion balance of the game, since I'm pretty sure some teammates otherwise automatically have negative reactions to certain events/choices, but it doesn't bother me that I'm in charge of the whole squad. It's just like playing MP solo.

I am now level 3, soon 4 after 6 hours and I'm having a blast guys! Just got the "Hero" tag after helping multiple people/questing. A murdering kleptomaniac hero though, since I am pickpocketing everything of value like a madman, and killing people I deem evil outside the line of sight of guards for that extra XP ;)

(I'm gonna chill with these long ass posts now, I got my answers and understand the system. Have fun all!)

Oh sounds like what happens in the first one when you don't give them a personality.

So you see a ! above their heads right?

kionedrik

I just want to point out how genius I think the "chose your pre-made follower class" decision is. It's so simple it's maddening no one thought of it earlier. No longer do I have to leave an interesting follower behind because s/he isn't the right class to my party.
Here's hoping this is just the first of many RPGs that do this.

Gothos

Is there a list of all the companions with their default classses? Also, anyone knows if we can change the class of companion later on?

Kientin

Playing on classic with a friend and I'm a geomancer tank (Red Prince). He is a necromancer (Fane). We went with Lohse as a ranger and Sybelle as a rogue as companions and we are so far steamrolling just about every fight with only one loss so far (we died to the
fire slug princess
after a bad dialogue choice while being ill prepared for it). I played a bit of early access about 6 months ago and I remember I got destroyed on the first
prison escape fight with the two archers
, but here we won first try pretty convincingly with everyone pretty healthy and no resurrection scrolls used. Everyone played a big part, but I got to say this geomancer tank thing seems pretty strong so far. One enemy before dropped a breastplate and I found a shield. With a couple of other small pieces of equipment, I was sitting at around 31 phys armor and about 18 magic armor. Using fortify put my phys armor at a cool 52 and shields up can heal a decent chunk of the armor I lost. Altering between those spells kept me pretty healthy. Plus I get to light everything on fire (much to the agony of my skeleton friend occasionally :) ) between poison pools and oil boulders with the lizard's fire racial skill.

Yeah, the Red Prince is canon main character.

Is there a list of all the companions with their default classses? Also, anyone knows if we can change the class of companion later on?

You can change their class when you're recruiting them, so you don't have to worry about their default classes.

Anno

Just gotta make it throug one more day or work before I can spend all weekend in game. Luckily I have the soundtrack to listen to today.

Khoryos

I've started building my face collection, which is fun - just need an elf and a lizard and we'll be set!

Of course I don't have any source orbs yet, so it's mostly just ghoulish right now. I actually blew an ice scroll to stop a guy burning just so I could steal his precious, precious face - I can see this becoming habit forming really quickly.

cevion

Oh sounds like what happens in the first one when you don't give them a personality.

So you see a ! above their heads right?

Nope, no "!" above their heads, which made me feel that something was wrong and post here in the first place. I got the "!" above their heads on my first "normal" playthrough.

I can't talk to the characters either, probably because to the game, I am "maincharacter" 1-4, if that makes sense. The journal entries reflect this as well. They're all written in first person, as if I was playing all characters as the main character. Could you talk to all your teammates from the get-go, in the boat in the prologue, in your game?

But I can still do their quests. I've advanced both Lohse's and Sebille's quests. Dialogue pops up for all party members when a quest/event triggers, and I get to decide every characters reaction/response. I don't seem to have an option to switch in new party members though, since I can't talk to any of the companions as I mentioned. Pressing "Party Management" doesn't seem to do anything either. I hope I don't miss any quest triggers by missing out on dialogue with the party though.

Do you think I should wipe and restart? I'm 6 hours in and having fun but if you managed to do it and not have this "side effect" maybe I should try again.

Oh and @Strazyplus, Awesome discovery/guide! I would have quoted your guide and given credit to it if I knew about it! I did the steps pretty much as you wrote em!

(I posted about the video guide and gave credit in my first post to who made the video, then kept linking the video so not to confuse others what I was talking about on new pages to clarify / for context.)

Oh shit now I made another long ass post about this when I said I wouldn't. Sorry all!

Gothos

Think I'll go this time without backstabbing rogue. In OS1 it was decent but usually more hassle than worth. I guess I'll simply go with 2 melee fighters :)

Sarcasm

Nope, no "!" above their heads, which made me feel that something was wrong and post here in the first place. I got the "!" above their heads on my first "normal" playthrough.

I can't talk to the characters either, probably because to the game, I am "maincharacter" 1-4, if that makes sense. The journal entries reflect this as well. They're all written in first person, as if I was playing all characters as the main character. Could you talk to all your teammates from the get-go, in the boat in the prologue, in your game?

But I can still do their quests. I've advanced both Lohse's and Sebille's quests. Dialogue pops up for all party members when a quest/event triggers, and I get to decide every characters reaction/response. I don't seem to have an option to switch in new party members though, since I can't talk to any of the companions as I mentioned. Pressing "Party Management" doesn't seem to do anything either. I hope I don't miss any quest triggers by missing out on dialogue with the party though.

Do you think I should wipe and restart? I'm 6 hours in and having fun but if you managed to do it and not have this "side effect" maybe I should try again.

Oh and @Strazyplus, Awesome discovery/guide! I would have quoted your guide and given credit to it if I knew about it! I did the steps pretty much as you wrote em!

(I posted about the video guide and gave credit in my first post to who made the video, then kept linking the video so not to confuse others what I was talking about on new pages to clarify / for context.)

Oh shit now I made another long ass post about this when I said I wouldn't. Sorry all!

I haven't gotten far in enough, but I just may start over.

Did you make new profiles for each instance?

Sevenfold

No need when you can name your saves :)

(Also named saves have their own folder so you could always drop a text file in there if you're going deep(Alongside your .BAK file))

Blyr

Banned
This doesn't sync with my experience. I'll confirm after work, but things work of specific stats. Daggers are always finesse, Two Handed Swords are always Strength, etc. The whole downside of a Hybrid is that you need to split your attributes, otherwise there'd be no point in running anything else.

Yeah, I was meaning more so the skills themselves, not weapons, but it seems like the changes where skills are based off your main damage stat are indeed the case (I'm not sure if it's based on what weapon you have or your highest stat, however)

https://imgur.com/a/5ywBj (I can't figure out how to get images to work, so here's a link to 2 skills just to confirm >.<)

Which is good news, because it means those who want to hybridize will be allowed to do so without any significant hampering to their playstyle, they'd of course still have to invest heavily into memory to make ample use of all the skills at their arsenal, but that seems like a fair trade imo

Sarcasm

No need when you can name your saves :)

(Also named saves have their own folder so you could always drop a text file in there if you're going deep(Alongside your .BAK file))

No I mean when you do the trick for four players.

I just don't want to miss story just to have four customizable characters from the get go.

Rad-

Really? I'm starting to doubt my Lohse cleric plan. :/

Well Cleric still very much works because hydro healing spells don't seem to use int. So you can focus on str and still heal just as well. You just can't really use the offensive ice spells.

cevion

Ah, no I didn't, just booted up the game multiple times from the /bin directory. My original profile had the name "cevion" and each new one got a new name whenever I booted up a new client and joined the game, set automatically by the game. I vaguely recall them having different numbers - not the same name as my main profile though - but the last 3 ones could have been the same name (the names you see in the lobby before you create the game). Can't remember what they were called, but they were pretty long like "DEFAULT_PROFILE%1" or something similar, sorry I can't remember fully :S.

When I started the game the skull on the ship right where you start (minor character spoiler the instant you start up the game with a certain character)
instantly started talking to Fane
. When I loaded my save they were still in dialogue. From there I could do everything but talk with my teammates. Dunno if that had anything to do with it? I have the Red Prince as my first character, and
Fane
as my fourth, if that matters at all.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I usually find myself clicking on voiced dialogue sequences halfway through the sentence because I've read it and ready to move on. I've allowed the voices to flow through for the Red Prince and Fane.

Now I'm finding it extremely difficult to skip anything Ifan says. Talk about the definition of smooth gravitas. It's almost as if I'm listening to Russell Crowe recite obscure deleted lines of Maximus from the movie Gladiator. *swoon*

I've only played a few minutes but I'll be honest, I didn't waste much time at the character creation screen because I have no idea what's good and what isn't and I haven't played the first game so I'm not familiar with the mechanics either.
I did pick an origin character though since it seems to make the game more interesting.

Top Bottom