• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

VandalD

Not sure how I feel about summoner, but I'm going to stick with it. Either I'm not so great at using it, or it gets a lot better later on. Maybe both.

Doc_Drop

Not sure how I feel about summoner, but I'm going to stick with it. Either I'm not so great at using it, or it gets a lot better later on. Maybe both.
My only sneaking doubt with it is that in most instances you will need an opposing element to use against the enemies, however the enemies will likely be spawning elemental surfaces countering mine.

That said, I can't help but think that it could be really powerful with higher level spells.

I'm thinking an archer/summoner hybrid maybe. Problem is I'm having nagging doubts over every build I go for

I started with Fane as a rogue/polymorph hybrid. Looking at some of the later polymorph skills, I may have made a mistake since most of them have to do with altering your skin or blood lol. There's one polymorph skill that makes you resistant to poison and makes you bleed poison though. Does that mean that I get healed by my own blood if I use that skill, or can't undead bleed at all, making all those type of skills useless?

I didn't expect to like the voiced dialog so much, but it's awesome. Adds a lot of character and charm to the dialog. And on that note, I also like how many uncommon words they use; you don't see that very often in games.

The Red Prince is so damn funny.

Yeah! And his VO is amazing.

Him and the narrator have been huge surprises to me.

Started this yesterday, pretty cool!

Is there any equivalent of the multi-party conversations in the first one? Rock-paper-scissors, all that. So far I've just seen the reaction dialogue stuff.

Dipper145

I've been loving this game so far.

I'm playing a summoner too and just got out of the first bigger area, with all the other origin characters in my group theres quite a variety in what I can do. Not too many interesting spells and combinations, but some of the random aspects of the spells can make it pretty interesting.

How important is it to have a healer (or heal spell) on a character?

I've found healing useful mostly for healing up after each encounter, which is still a pain to do like the last time. But I've only done the first main area, so I suspect it'll get harder, and I'm playing on normal.

cevion

How important is it to have a healer (or heal spell) on a character?

I would definitely recommend Restoration if you're playing on Classic+. Restoration is a heal + heal over time and it removes negative status effects (edit: FA also removes many status effects!). Great if you have a character standing in fire for example, which happens pretty often.

I've also got First Aid and read that it's very good, but never got to use it yet due to having Restoration on 2 characters. I had a couple fights where some of my guys were really low on HP and it would have been a lot harder without those heals.

It's easy to get nuked down without a healing spell. I guess you could go with something like Fortify, Ice Armor instead but it's hard to predict which character is gonna get hit, until you snatch Taunt later on, and even then you have to break phys armor before Taunt works, IIRC. Healing Pots might work but I haven't been able to craft volumes of those yet.

(I don't think you necessarily have to have a dedicated healer, it just helps to pick up one point of Hydro/Huntsman on 1-3 characters. I started with Resto. on one dude and First Aid on another, later grabbed Resto on my third. Might be a little overkill, but I think I'll be glad I have it for later fights when enemies starts using crowd control + other shenanigans)

Sarcasm

Ah, no I didn't, just booted up the game multiple times from the /bin directory. My original profile had the name "cevion" and each new one got a new name whenever I booted up a new client and joined the game, set automatically by the game. I vaguely recall them having different numbers - not the same name as my main profile though - but the last 3 ones could have been the same name (the names you see in the lobby before you create the game). Can't remember what they were called, but they were pretty long like "DEFAULT_PROFILE%1" or something similar, sorry I can't remember fully :S.

When I started the game the skull on the ship right where you start (minor character spoiler the instant you start up the game with a certain character)
instantly started talking to Fane
. When I loaded my save they were still in dialogue. From there I could do everything but talk with my teammates. Dunno if that had anything to do with it? I have the Red Prince as my first character, and
Fane
as my fourth, if that matters at all.

So yea I finally see. Nothing can be done.

Should I continue with this soulless 4 man party I made? Wonder if it does this with two.

Xyber

Playing on Tactician with 2 other friends and the game really makes you work for every single win. It's really hard, but fun hard and not frustratingly hard.

This is the first one of these kinds of game I've ever played properly. I love all the freedom you have in deciding what you want to do. We were doing a quest where we could either pick one option that meant we were gonna fight every guard in the town (didn't work out so great for us :p) or blame a thing on someone else so they go and kill him instead. But after we picked that, we ran to the guy and then killed the person who went to kill him and got XP for saving him too. :D

adversarial

6 hours in, started an inquisitor / 2h / death knight type custom character.

I feel like just doing everything in Fort Joy could take 20 hours. I'm playing so slow because I'm afraid I'm missing things, as I played when EA was just released and some of the things have changed. Loving it, though "Classic" seems a bit on the difficult side, as it takes forever to level and the mobs
underneath the fortress are level 4 and up.
Doesn't seem to be anywhere to level up / grind in the starting area.

faer0n

I Main an undead human. If i use tha mask to become an elf and eat a corpse. Do i keep what i gain by corpse eating when i Change Back to undead

MrCinos

Started on tactician and I love this game even more than DOS1 so far. Just the right amount of challenge at the moment.

I don't have teleportation in my team yet so I summon the creature to a remote place with Fane and then use that jump+backstab skill (Backlash) with my MC rogue (Ilfan) to "teleport" myself to the place I couldn't get into otherwise (i.e. one of the rooms in prison). Discount teleport!

KorrZ

Anyone got any tips for Battlemage?

I'm playing Battle mage Fane right now, only about 2 hours in but so far I've found that enemies hit me REALLY hard, and I don't really have much in the way of ranged attacks so, combat has been pretty dicey.

Shocking enemies so they lose a turn and then beating them down before they attack has been my only saving grace so far.

Edit: Also for skills, whats a good number to focus on (e.g. Necromancy, Warfare) is 3 reasonable? Or should you stick to your starting 2?

Dinjooh

I'm playing Battle mage Fane right now, only about 2 hours in but so far I've found that enemies hit me REALLY hard, and I don't really have much in the way of ranged attacks so, combat has been pretty dicey.

Shocking enemies so they lose a turn and then beating them down before they attack has been my only saving grace so far.

Edit: Also for skills, whats a good number to focus on (e.g. Necromancy, Warfare) is 3 reasonable? Or should you stick to your starting 2?

This was pretty much my tactic through all of Divinity: OS.

Just CC everything and blast em up before they kill me.

Good tactic? No. Fun tactic? Yes!

Meifu

As someone who adored dragon age origins, would I like this game?

What makes it so good? Also, should I play the original first?

Dinjooh

Anything in particular about DA:O that made you adore it?

And yes, you absolutely should play the first one; it's a great game - though it starts out rather slow imo.

You don't need to play the first game. This one is better, and the story is set hundreds of years later (or thousands?).

It does have some things in common with DA:O, like complex tactical decisions in combat and party composition choices and all that, but the number of things you can do both in and out of combat is many times more complicated and open. Quests can be solved in a variety of ways, there's tons of environmental interaction, all that good stuff.

Miker

Has anybody managed to beat the game yet? How's the pacing and other things besides combat? I lost Steam In Divinity OS 1 in late ice world because the story and dungeons weren't interesting enough to keep me going even though I loved the combat.

Shahadan

Why don't they remove quest markers on the map when they're done? It's so confusing
I'm pretty sure I don't need the crocodiles pointed out to me now that they're all dead

ObsidianG

Electric touch is an amazing skill! You could also abuse teleport to drop weaker enemies in your midst so you can beat on them with your weapon, or teleport the scary one across the battlefield.

Based on DOS:EE, sprinking a few points in multiple school was very useful once you had access to your main skills. Some of the skills in other magic schools don't scale with intelligence (for example fossil strike will always slow enemies with the oil puddles, making them loose half of their AP, without having to invest a lot of points into geomancy).

Another good combo for your battlemage would be to invest one point in hydrosophist and one point in necromancy to get access to the decaying touch + restoration combo. It acts like a healing potion would on undeads in FF games, but the damage is % based so it can do a lot of damage. I think it is a really nice combo on the battlemage because you have to be in close quarters to do it, and hydrosophist meshes well with aerothurge to create shock combos.

cevion

So yea I finally see. Nothing can be done.

Should I continue with this soulless 4 man party I made? Wonder if it does this with two.

Heh, I was asking you the same thing, if you thought I should continue with mine.

I think it's OK because you will actually get some party dialogue still and as I've written the origin quests still seems to work and gives dialogue + get to choose response with all characters. I'm not sure if it breaks anything further in in the game though, I'm only in act 1. Sometimes random dialogue pop ups, but no "!" things like you mentioned, no talking with your teammates outside of events/quests and no way to swap in other team members...

Maybe instead of doing this method you could do a normal/single player run and then use CheatEngine to reset everyone's talents/skills to 0 so you can spec them from scratch then? I never really tampered with CE and to be clear I'm not advocating cheating to get an advantage or at all in multiplayer, just in singleplayer to be able to min/max your team without the origin characters already having points in set skills. (Or maybe a saveditor/or even the save files, maybe there's an easy way to reset everyone from there, either in lua/hex or plaintext?)

We can continue this further in PM, don't want to crap down the OT since you and me seems to be almost the only ones discussing this, heh. Good luck mate!

Why don't they remove quest markers on the map when they're done? It's so confusing
I'm pretty sure I don't need the crocodiles pointed out to me now that they're all dead
I was going t say the same thing. Really dumb oversight. In fact I haven't got a clue where to go next. Used the teleportation gloves to enter the cave. Had to brake down a door because they're all locked and then where I find the third waypoint the ladder leads nowhere because it's blocked. I remember having navigational issues in Divinity 1 and was hoping they'd fixed them. Obviously not. A real minus on an otherwise good game.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've decided to just stick with the default roles/specs for the companions instead of trying to get min-maxy. Prince is my front line melee guy, Ifan does some ranged (and heals Fane with geomancy) and then I gotta figure out who to round out the team. One of the ladies I suppose, sorry dwarfman.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I chose Tactician mode because I wanted a harder AI, but what I get is more or less that but also extremely bulky enemies with and added 50% stats. So far I don't feel it really balanced. Should have choosen Classic mode I feel.
IIRC Tactician mode in the first game actually made the enemies smarter on top of the increased stats. The extra stats are so you almost have to strategize beyond face tanking and spanking.

KorrZ

Electric touch is an amazing skill! You could also abuse teleport to drop weaker enemies in your midst so you can beat on them with your weapon, or teleport the scary one across the battlefield.

Based on DOS:EE, sprinking a few points in multiple school was very useful once you had access to your main skills. Some of the skills in other magic schools don't scale with intelligence (for example fossil strike will always slow enemies with the oil puddles, making them loose half of their AP, without having to invest a lot of points into geomancy).

Another good combo for your battlemage would be to invest one point in hydrosophist and one point in necromancy to get access to the decaying touch + restoration combo. It acts like a healing potion would on undeads in FF games, but the damage is % based so it can do a lot of damage. I think it is a really nice combo on the battlemage because you have to be in close quarters to do it, and hydrosophist meshes well with aerothurge to create shock combos.

Thanks very much for the tips man!

At work right now just counting the second to get home and play some more. Barely scrapped the surface of this game.

Kind of frustrated that it doesn't seem like you can "insert" an item in the hotbar between existing things and just have everything slide to the right accordingly. Instead you have to swap out every single icon to the right the insert point if you want to preserve your order.

Him and the narrator have been huge surprises to me.

While I think the narrator's acting is fine, I found it was taking the edge off of some of the more serious moments so I muted the narrator. Maybe I'm just used to it being this way from Pillars and Tyranny but I prefer it this way.

Megauap

The Red Prince is so damn funny.

I started my game as Lohse and every time I've talked to the prince I got irritated. I can't stand his superiority over everyone as if they were inferiors to him. I had recruited him so I had to load an old save to fix that.
I don't even know why I was doubting to start the game as him or Lohse, clearly Lohse is a better character in my opinion.

I do like that they gave players the option to mute the narrator. Before hearing it myself I was afraid that's what I'd end up doing.
I started my game as Lohse and every time I've talked to the prince I got irritated. I can't stand his superiority over everyone as if they were inferiors to him. I had recruited him so I had to load an old save to fix that.
I don't even know why I was doubting to start the game as him or Lohse, clearly Lohse is a better character in my opinion.

Try talking to him for the first time as an elf. It's an experience.

cevion

cevion said:
Very confused. So I have the skill First Aid on Fane. Used it for the first time after 6 hours since getting it on Lohse. She took 20 damage (and became rested). The tooltip says it's supposed to heal for 20 damage. Wat?

I know healing skills damage undead, and poison and necromancy heal them. But healing skills CAST by undead doing damage to humans instead of healing them? Is this an intended feature? oO

edit: Quoting myself here, the enemy used Decaying Touch. I'm an idiot. My bad!

Why does the game auto level npcs before you recruit them?

And then gives them shocking skill picks. Goddamnit.

I feel you. That's why me and some other users like Sarcasm launched 4 instances of the game, created a local multiplayer lobby and built all Origin classes from scratch, then saved the game, closed the obsolete instances and played from that save in singleplayer with 4 premade Origin characters, built from scratch, with working origin quests.

Sadly this method introduces some bugs like not being able to talk to your teammates/switch out party members :( It basically treats all your characters as the main character. I would love for the npcs to not come with pre-picked skills. Then I'd restart my 7h save to get rid of said bugs.

Another alternative is creating a custom character, but then you miss out on the NPC personality/origin etc. Apparently respec is in the game, sadly don't know where though.

Sarcasm

So question for people who didn't do the 4 player trick....

Do you every now and then see an ! over characters head that when you click it does story stuff/dialogue exchange between them?

cevion

You didn't read the tooltip did you?

Undead means that healing hurts. Poison/Necromancy/Leech(I think) heal undead.

No, I knew regular heals damaged Undead. The thing was I used heal on a human but it was cast by an undead. That's why I was confused. I later realized the enemy had used Decaying touch, debuffing my healing into damage taken.

Decaying touch seems like a great skill for the player to use along with first aid + restoration for lots of dmg btw. Thanks though :)

Top Bottom