• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I read somewhere that if you are an undead it is better to have a full team of undead. Is that true?

I could see it being easier, as you would not have to worry about mixing poison and traditional healing at all. Also poison clouds for everyone. I'm not worrying too much about it though, just rolling with Fane and 3 living types.

Finalow

did anyone try co-oping with randoms? It sounds fun to either be the bad guy who tries to kill the host or being "invaded" by someone who's gonna find a clever way to end your life.

does this whole co-op thing work well? I wasn't exactly a fan of the co-op system in the first game but it seems much better in this one. (I'm assuming you can no longer mess with other players in a way that could end their run - like removing/destroying all their items)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
A lot of these NPCs I'm fighting all throw heal spells on me, how do they all know I'm undead?

Ya know, that's kind of a good point. If you got your mask on and whatnot, even super smart AI shouldn't be throwing heal spells at you unless you somehow make it obvious you are undead.

When I load the game, it initially takes about 15 seconds and gives me some error about Larian Support Server failing. I can click okay and the game proceeds as normal, but this is irritating every time. Anyone else have this or know how to stop it?

Sevenfold

As someone who adored dragon age origins, would I like this game?

What makes it so good? Also, should I play the original first?

If like me you loved the combat in DA:O and thought it lost its charm in 2 and Inquisition then perhaps. For me it was being able to play DA:O like a third person action game then zoom out and play the encounters like chess. Not the same in the sequels. Killed the series for me. DOS is different and you were vague but I love both games so er... i dunno.

Maybe watch a couple of early game videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1zlRF4mDk

It's so challenging even on classic difficulty, every battle is a difficulty spike lol. I couldn't imagine how it is on tactician mode.

Anyway, 9 hours in but I'm still not sure how should I spend my money. A couple of my party is still running around in their rugs, and I still haven't bought any skill book yet. Money is kinda scarce in this game compared to D:OS1 when you can basically steal the paintings and golden stuff to make easy money in early game.

So question for people who didn't do the 4 player trick....

Do you every now and then see an ! over characters head that when you click it does story stuff/dialogue exchange between them?

Yeah, I do. Sometimes just one, sometimes everyone. Apparently, there are also banters between them (outside of dialogue box) though they're kinda rare.

CSJ

Argh I hate the way you get quest rewards because I don't think you can compare with anyone else except your current character, also if you reload the save it changes stats on the items :/

Locks the screen too, can't exit out or anything!

Going to wait for the inevitable enhanced edition 1 or 2 years from now with all the rebalancing and patches. Learned my lesson from the 1st one.

Avallon

HELP!

I am completely paralyzed by the amount of choices present in the first 5 minutes of the game! What class do I play? What abilities do I use for said class? What's my perk? Do I play custom or Origin? Do I pick up everything I can find no matter how useless it seems? Do I steal things? Do I fight the first npc? Do I act snarky? Do I behave? Do I follow the origin prompts during dialogue choices? Do I need all these pots?

I'm not looking for answers to all these questions, but I am seriously stuck in the first room of the game. I constantly feel like I've made a bad decision and either reroll my character with a different class or reload my save and don't steal that book this time. I started picking up everything I could find that wasn't red, but then I noticed that most of that stuff has zero value and a weight cost.

Someone give me some words of encouragement and maybe a few tips about how to not be completely overwhelmed by everything.

HELP!

I am completely paralyzed by the amount of choices present in the first 5 minutes of the game! What class do I play? What abilities do I use for said class? What's my perk? Do I play custom or Origin? Do I pick up everything I can find no matter how useless it seems? Do I steal things? Do I fight the first npc? Do I act snarky? Do I behave? Do I follow the origin prompts during dialogue choices? Do I need all these pots?

I'm not looking for answers to all these questions, but I am seriously stuck in the first room of the game. I constantly feel like I've made a bad decision and either reroll my character with a different class or reload my save and don't steal that book this time. I started picking up everything I could find that wasn't red, but then I noticed that most of that stuff has zero value and a weight cost.

Someone give me some words of encouragement and maybe a few tips about how to not be completely overwhelmed by everything.

Refund it and go play a hand holdy game?

Had my first crash in Fort Joy. Got encumbered, and as I was going to do something about it the game just crashed to desktop with no error message.

I'm blaming my lucky ooze barrel, personally.
What is everyone's favorite classes so far?

Shadowblade (rogue/polymorph) is exactly what I wanted to make. Very happy with it so far, lots of stealth and stealing, and spells for days. SSS-tier.

I kind of want an Inquisitor though. I have a weakness for heavy armour, giant two-handers, and dark magic.
A lot of these NPCs I'm fighting all throw heal spells on me, how do they all know I'm undead?

When you get into combat stance your bones rattle.

That's my headcanon.
HELP!

You can take the red things if you're hidden (press c to hide) and out of view (not in an NPC's red cone of vision, press shift to view it IIRC). It's stealing, but uh, you're doing it so it's OK.

In terms of settling on a character, just pick one you like and roll with the punches. Set what sort of person they are beforehand; like, are they honourable or no? Use that to decide whether you allow stealing or murder, and that will guide your playstyle.

And seriously, don't worry about playing optimally, DOS2 is designed to be played in many different ways. It lets you play pretty much however you want. Just try to have a balanced party and you'll be able to weather and storm.

Anoregon

HELP!

make a skellington cuz it's about halloween times

Santiako

Is there a list of all the companions with their default classses? Also, anyone knows if we can change the class of companion later on?

For what it's worth, these are the "canon classes" of the characters:

Red Prince: Fighter - Warfare, Geomancer
Lohse: Enchanter - Hydrosophist, Aerotheurge
Ifan: Wayfarer - Huntsman, Geomancer
Sebille: Rogue - Scoundrel
Fane: Wizard - Geomancer, Pyrokinetic
Beast: Battlemage - Aerotheurge, Warfare

HELP!

If you're so overwhelmed, lower the difficulty to explorer and just go with the flow, play however you feel like.

aravuus

Managed to try the 2-player coop real quick (i.e. played it for 4 hours straight)

Holy fuck. This is AMAZING. The attention to detail is just mind-boggling and the way coop works is just insanely well thought out. I'm genuinely going to be comparing every other coop game to this for the rest of my life.

The situations we got ourselves into were just ridiculous and the ways we managed to actually survive (some of lol) those situations were beyond ridiculous. I didn't realize stealing bread would end with the whole goddamn fort attacking us, nothing better than fighting 10 guys, actually doing fairly well all things considered then getting killed by the very last enemy after 45 minutes of fighting.

Gonna play more coop with another friend tomorrow and if all goes well, we should be able to play 3-player coop on Sunday. Can't fucking wait!

Going to wait for the inevitable enhanced edition 1 or 2 years from now with all the rebalancing and patches. Learned my lesson from the 1st one.

The sole reason they made Enhanced Edition back then was mainly due to the DX11 and console version. Most, if not all, of the EE improvements, are already in the base game of D:OS 2. They'll surely still do rebalancing and patches but I don't think it's gonna be in the same way as it was in the first game with EE. Maybe they'll release a GOTY edition later, but I highly doubt it'll be called Enhanced Edition.

Managed to try the 2-player coop real quick (i.e. played it for 4 hours straight)

Holy fuck. This is AMAZING. The attention to detail is just mind-boggling and the way coop works is just insanely well thought out. I'm genuinely going to be comparing every other coop game to this for the rest of my life.

The situations we got ourselves into were just ridiculous and the ways we managed to actually survive (some of lol) those situations were beyond ridiculous. I didn't realize stealing bread would end with the whole goddamn fort attacking us, nothing better than fighting 10 guys, actually doing fairly well all things considered then getting killed by the very last enemy after 45 minutes of fighting.

Gonna play more coop with another friend tomorrow and if all goes well, we should be able to play 3-player coop on Sunday. Can't fucking wait!

Are you starting over every time ?

carlsojo

I wish when it prompts you to choose your companion's class that it would tell you what specific skills they're picking up.

I made Lohse a Wizard and everything is on fire all the time! And my melee characters do not appreciate it.

Doc_Drop

For what it's worth, these are the "canon classes" of the characters:

Thank you, even the wiki hasn't had this updated. Been looking for this!

Ryzaki009

Someone asked earlier if there was s/s romances well atm I am flirting with Ifan as a dude and he's responding so yeah I'm pretty sure there are.

Sotha Sil

It's pretty amazing so far. I'm still figuring out how to complete very simple, basic quests on the island and the attention to detail is already making my head spin. Like, some guard asshole killed my cat "companion" with a bow and I'm still trying to figure out why, and if it will matter somehow, and I love it. Reminds me of Ultima VII like no game has before (didn't play DOS1).

Now to find a goddamn shovel.

Buckle

Ya know, that's kind of a good point. If you got your mask on and whatnot, even super smart AI shouldn't be throwing heal spells at you unless you somehow make it obvious you are undead.
Agreed.

Shouldn't happen unless they're a special type of NPC you would expect it from or you do something to give it away like stepping in poison or taking off your headgear.

Played singleplayer for a bit to get my bearings then I tried out coop with friends. That's some seriously fun gaming right there. The systems are interesting, still learning what all the magic is about. I rolled a conjurer, really enjoying summoning different kinds of Incarnate from different ground effects.

Also tried out some of the PVP modes, only did one game of DM and Kill the King, enjoyed both!

Soulstar

I'm having a problem where the game thinks my screen is a 4K screen when it is actually only a 1080P screen. So I can't even get past the main menu because all I can see is the top left corner.

ObsidianG

HELP!

There are quite a few choices to make in the game, and that's one of the beautiful things about the game!

Santiako posted a very useful link of default classes for the companions:

I have always had good luck running 2 mages, 1 tank and 1 archer in my party, which worked fine in the regular (classic) difficulty in the previous game, and in the EA for me. However, there are many, many combinations possible, even on higher difficulties. for example I am going to use loshe (aero/hydro), red prince (pyro/geo), ifan (warfare/tank) and sebile (ranger/scoundrel) on my first playthrough.

My two cents for general tips would be:
- Do not be afraid to pre-pull enemies by sniping them or dropping a fireball on their face. Starting fights on your own terms is very advantageous in DOS.
- Stay away from undead classes, at least in your first playthough as they use different mechanics than "living characters"
- Hybrid classes are not a 50/50 splits like in other RPGs, but I would not spread my skills too thin, if possible. However, once you know more about the one point wonders (like teleportation, fortify or armor or frost), it makes your characters much more powerful!
- For your mages, I would recommend going geomancer / pyrokinetic (kindoff like fane, but he is an undead so you can make a companion pick the same skills) as well as aero/hydrosophist (Loshe in her default class). The reason behind it is that the oil + fire or poison + fire and rain + shock combos are very useful, once you strip your opponent's defenses
- Have at least 2 characters that can heal (restoration from hydrosophist school and first aid from huntsman school, if you want to go the 2 mage, 1 ranger and 1 tank route)
Some other abilities work great together: decaying touch (necromancy) + restoration (hydrosophist): Makes healing spells hurt your opponents, and healing is % based, so you can see how that could do a lot of damage to high HP targets (like bosses hehe). Tactical retreat + huntsman abilities: archers benefit from height bonuses, so tactical retreat can get you a vantage point and you can snipe people to oblivion (sebille is really good as a ranger because she also has a racial trait which boosts her damage, and as a ranger she shouldn't be in the from lines). Sneak + snipe (huntsman skill) allows you to open up a fight by dealing lots of bonus damage to a single enemy right away. Lastly, Backlash and throwing daggers also does a lot of damage, but I do not use a dagger rogue so I can't attest to that.

Best of luck on your playthrough!

TLastly, Backlash and throwing daggers also does a lot of damage, but I do not use a dagger rogue so I can't attest to that.

Throwing Dagger was nerfed pretty heavily actually since EA and is one of the reasons I thought my rogue was doing bad damage before I looked more carefully at the numbers since I was using it every turn like in EA. It used to do more than a normal attack, but now does less, so it's only good if you need a ranged attack, but with Scoundrel movement bonus and The Pawn, I haven't really needed a ranged attack so I unslotted it and have been using other skills instead(kinda wish I took Chloroform instead but no big deal).

Damage is good though, isn't as braindead as during the EA with the various nerfs, but still does high damage and the burst mode with all cooldowns up is generally enough to delete a target which feels good considering kill speed is otherwise kinda low from the other classes with the armor absorbs and stuff.

CSJ

DAMNIT :( Get home to play and it's crashing instantly on launching.
It was fine yesterday, didn't even turn my PC off; literally -nothing has changed-.

Jag

So what is the recommendation for first playthrough, origin or custom??

I was going to do custom, but realized that even with Origin, you can totally customize your character. So there is no downside to it. Having your own character have an origin is really more about dialog choices and so far it has added some flavor to the game (I took Ifsan as a Ranger/Poly)

Ended up starting as an undead lizard summoner/geomancer with lone wolf, so it's just me and Fane in the group.

It's stupidly effective so far, lol

ObsidianG

Throwing Dagger was nerfed pretty heavily actually since EA and is one of the reasons I thought my rogue was doing bad damage before I looked more carefully at the numbers since I was using it every turn like in EA. It used to do more than a normal attack, but now does less, so it's only good if you need a ranged attack, but with Scoundrel movement bonus and The Pawn, I haven't really needed a ranged attack so I unslotted it and have been using other skills instead(kinda wish I took Chloroform instead but no big deal).

Damage is good though, isn't as braindead as during the EA with the various nerfs, but still does high damage and the burst mode with all cooldowns up is generally enough to delete a target which feels good considering kill speed is otherwise kinda low from the other classes with the armor absorbs and stuff.

Thanks for the update! I'll have to look at my skills more carefully then, in case other combos may have been visited by the nerf hammer.

Sanctuary

Not really feeling the pseudo Mass Effect 2-3 system they have going on with armor in this game. It effectively neuters CC in such a huge way that it goes from "really strong" to "almost pointless" for the player. Yet the enemies, especially melee have no problem blasting through the protections of my casters to knock them down in a single action. It takes me however 3-4 total actions to even get CC to work, and it usually only lasts for 1-2 turns.

That would be fine if direct damage had been buffed to compensate, but because of the layer system, it's even weaker than it was in the previous game. This is just on classic. I can't imagine how annoying it will be on tactician.

Top Bottom