• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 |OT| Dragons & Dungeon Mastering

Man just started playing this and it's sooo good. Just as good as part 1. Larian Studios and CD projekt Red are the two of the best gaming studios operating today. I hope more companies will follow their footsteps.

Anno

Won't be surprised at all when the EE version is released with a major balance overhaul.

This has been a pretty consistent source of feedback for the year of EA though, and I don't know that they made much of a move to change it. Hybridized damage types just aren't as effective at least early on. I'm curious if encounter design later in the game does more to require it.

Shahadan

Am I just awful?

I feel like I am burning through at least one or two resurrection scrolls every fight, some goes well, but most just horribly wrong. The enemies can tank TONS compared to me (even though we are the same level), they are more numerous than me, have lots of evil abilities. And this is the "Normal" difficulty level.

I am soon at a point where if one of my companions dies, I can't ress them and continue.

armor or magic armor really makes a lot of difference though. If you have only a small amount of either the damage will kill your hp fast.
You could also pickpocket a few skillbooks if you can

Anoxida

Clearly better than the first I'd say so far at least. Writing and the characters doesn't even compare, it's much better. Loot so far has been pretty underwhelming though. I thought Swen mentioned they didn't like that the loot didn't feel exciting and rewarding the first game but it's pretty much the same. I really hope there's some uniques with some unique abilities later on, but I doubt it.

Type2

Am I just awful?

I feel like I am burning through at least one or two resurrection scrolls every fight, some goes well, but most just horribly wrong. The enemies can tank TONS compared to me (even though we are the same level), they are more numerous than me, have lots of evil abilities. And this is the "Normal" difficulty level.

I am soon at a point where if one of my companions dies, I can't ress them and continue.

Don't be afraid to reload and start fights yourself. Try to buff or set favorable terrain mods before combat starts. Mind the enemies armor/magic armor and try to shred it before attempting status effects. Some builds dont click until level 8, teleportation is awesome when you get your hands on it and early equipment really sucks so thats probably one factor for fight difficulty.

Ryzaki009

Am I just awful?

An easy way to solve the more numerous problem is to take some levels in summoning. You can make a totem each turn and they don't prioritize the totems so it's free damage after a while.

Adnor

Banned
So, are bedrolls just unlimited use? Free full healing and rested bonus out of battle.

Seems too good to be true...

I ended every fight in the last game healing all my party with healing spells because, well, spells are free, so the bedroll is mostly a QoL improvement.

I can only imagine what their games would look like if they had first party funding or big time third party support.
Honestly? More like this:
da2ot-04.gif

Gotta recoup those investments, y'know.

(Crowdfunding has paid off big time for niche games.)

Anno

Closing in on 50k concurrent and it's not even the weekend. Seems pretty likely that the game will be a significant success for Larian which I can't be more happy about. Curious what they will do next outside of console versions. Has Larian ever done expansions or DLC for their games? I feel like they just roll on to the next thing after they get the current one really spiffy.

Unai

Closing in on 50k concurrent and it's not even the weekend. Seems pretty likely that the game will be a significant success for Larian which I can't be more happy about. Curious what they will do next outside of console versions. Has Larian ever done expansions or DLC for their games? I feel like they just roll on to the next thing after they get the current one really spiffy.

Wow, much more that the first game, and already ahead of PoE. Fantastic news. I wonder how much it will sell of the first month.

Menome

For those having frame-rate issues: I switched from Fullscreen to False Fullscreen and went from low 30s to a solid 60fps.

Adnor

Banned

They did an expansion for Divinity 2 which continued the story directly.

Kientin

Makes me so happy to hear. They really deserve the success and seeing support for games like this with tons of heart and soul poured into the game without microtransactions shoved in makes me hopeful for the future.

52k concurrent players right now, damn that's nice to see, ten times as much as the new Dishonored game

The first one had 22k players maximum at launch.

Aja

Neo Member
So. My ISPcame thru and fixed my internet problem but.... I'm restarting like a crazy person. Man there is TOO many choices and I have no clue which ones are good enough!

Fane with the inquisitor build? You guys think it's ok? I will never make progress in this game because of all the options! :)

Ryzaki009

Okay yeah that armor needing to be stripped thing is stupidly lopsided in the AI's favor. They can strip your crap in one turn but you can't do the same. The PC damage really needs to be increased or their armor needs to be similar to the AI's.

Keasar

I'm on my (edit:) fifth reload now of the
High Judge Orviand
fight.

Am I just not supposed to do this fight? We're both lvl 4 but his group completes annihilates me, and whenever I think for a second that I have finally gotten down their armors, they just regain it. This is just infuriatingly punishing. I feel like I am about to give up and just set down the difficulty level to Explorer, but then it will feel like a defeat and I am not playing the game "properly" and might as well not do it at all. I know this is supposed to be hardcore old-school RPG but come-the-fuck-on throw me a goddamn bone.

armor or magic armor really makes a lot of difference though. If you have only a small amount of either the damage will kill your hp fast.
You could also pickpocket a few skillbooks if you can
But even when scavenging as much armor as I can from around the Fort I still have minimal amounts as compared to the enemy who then proceeds to break through mine in an instant, often on just the first turn, while my magic user is basically useless cause her spells does nothing until she gets to throw maybe 4 or more.
Don't be afraid to reload and start fights yourself. Try to buff or set favorable terrain mods before combat starts. Mind the enemies armor/magic armor and try to shred it before attempting status effects. Some builds dont click until level 8, teleportation is awesome when you get your hands on it and early equipment really sucks so thats probably one factor for fight difficulty.
They really shouldn't make fights then this hard before lvl 8. :p
I try to "prepare" as much as I can but the A.I just throws everything back in my face. Blood lying around shocks my group (but never them) whenever my air spell thrower casts anything. Oil leads to the A.I just extending the field and then lighting it on fire. Water just annoys everyone.
An easy way to solve the more numerous problem is to take some levels in summoning. You can make a totem each turn and they don't prioritize the totems so it's free damage after a while.

Too late for that right now. :(

Alastor3

does the elf eating part and gaining spell work well?

Thinking of that or lizard to dig without shovel but what is the skill to raise to get to see all the place to dig?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So I just loaded my save and my character seems to be missing their items, Also can't find them in the inventory.. ?

Side note, where do I get res scrolls from? I can't find an NPC with them and one of my guys is dead :(

Nevermind, Noticed the card guy took them all. That's why!

Since I restarted the game like four times already trying different builds and tactician mode, I went without noticing with a random name for my character in the last (and probably) chosen run. "Sandor" could have been worse haha.

For people who didn't play the enhanced edition of D:OS 1, you can hold the use button to create an AOE loot region. I remember that some people only discovered that late into the game back then.

For people who didn't play the enhanced edition of D:OS 1, you can hold the use button to create an AOE loot region. I remember that some people only discovered that late into the game back then.

Never heard of that, what's the use button though? Is that only on a Gamepad?

I guess I'll play this when it doesn't crash constantly. What a disappointment.

Zéro crash so far for me, 3 hours in. I hope they will fix you're issue fast.

My relatively modest PC handle the game in ultra like a charm, so i can say that it's very well optimized or I am very lucky

JoeBoy101

Wait wait. Just saw the bit about a more mature storyline in the OP.

I liked the first one, but when the enemies got goofy, the game lost me entirely. Are you telling me they grounded (for lack of a better term) the game and its lore more?

If so, going to look at getting this for the weekend.

rickyson1

no crashes for me in 4 hours

I did have some sort of bug right after I got my first companion where they were aggro towards me out of nowhere at the end of a fight but other than that it's been smooth sailing

Anno

Swen tweeted out that multiplayer servers might be working now. Apparently they didn't anticipate the demand and are trying to add capacity.

Shahadan

Woo, beat
Kniles the Flenser
inside Fort Joy, what a long fight despite taking him down relatively fast.

He didn't even fight me because I gave him something ;(
I was scared about the things in the cages so I went with that but the room seemed designed for a fun fight

Vamphuntr

Crashes and freezes seemed to be cause by quicksaving and quickloading. I made a new save and deleted the rest and it seems fine for now.

MikeBison

Is 3 schools of skills per character about the right amount to balance between focusing your efforts and getting access to a nice range of skills?

Crashes and freezes seemed to be cause by quicksaving and quickloading. I made a new save and deleted the rest and it seems fine for now.

I'm prone to do this, do I have to take care when making a lot of quicksaves, or when being constantly quicksaving and quickloading?

Sanctuary

Is there a way to move around the map easier? I know fast travel exists, but that's not the issue. The issue is, the maps can be pretty dense, and while you can drop markers and waypoints, it's still extremely annoying to move around towards specific places. Unless I'm missing something, you can't simply bring up the world map and then click on an area to view that area. It only allows you to make markers and notes.

Stevey

So when I first installed it, it asked me if I wanted to send information-like crash reports and stuff.
I agreed, but now every time I launch the game it hangs for 10 or so seconds then says it cant connect to their servers, I close the dialogue box and it launches.
Is there any way to reverse this option?

Top Bottom